Start by marking “Year's Best Australian Science Fiction And Fantasy, Volume 4” as Want to Read:
Year's Best Australian Science Fiction And Fantasy, Volume 4

Year's Best Australian Science Fiction And Fantasy, Volume 4 (The Year's Best Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy #4)

3.22  ·  Rating details ·  9 Ratings  ·  5 Reviews

Be the first to ask a question about Year's Best Australian Science Fiction And Fantasy, Volume 4

John Nebauer
A good collection of Australian speculative fiction, and the first MirrorDanse volume that I've read. The quality of the stories were uneven (though none of them bad), the highlight for me being Garth Nix's 'Sir Hereward and Mister Fitz Go to War Again". Sir Hereward is engaged in an age-long struggle against malevolent, parasitic gods, with Mister Fitz his magically-animated wooden marionette. Rjurik Davidson's 'Domine' is a well-told story of the return of an interstellar traveller and the imp ...more
Kristian Thoroughgood
Jan 31, 2015 rated it really liked it
A fine anthology of short stories, all solid- some standouts.

A longer review is available on my blog: https://uncertaintales.wordpress.com/...
Frederick Gault
Jul 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: horror, sci-fi
The Greg Egan story is Science Fiction, as is only one other in this collection. The other stories are NOT Science Fiction or even Fantasy but Horror. As such - I was looking for Science Fiction stories - I was disappointed.
Graham Clements
Mar 27, 2011 rated it liked it
I had read all three of the previous volumes of The Year's Best Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy. Like the previous volumes, volume 4 is an uneven collection with some good stories and some just so so. Unlike the previous volumes this volume did not have one particular story that stood out and shouted, aren't I great.

The best story for me was Richard Harland's horror tale Special Perceptions. It is about a delusional man's decent into madness. It really gave me the creeps and had me check
Chris Lynch
This is a very good anthology of Australian short speculative fiction published in 2007. There's a nice mix of genres and styles represented, and the uniformly polished prose is a pleasure to read -- a number were 2007 award winners. From a writer's perspective there were some nice little flourishes: shorthand characterisations, scene transitions, and other things that made me appreciate the craft behind these stories.

For the most part, the stories are very safe and comfortable, happy to be sma
Kathryn Daugherty
added it
Feb 19, 2017
Tina
Oct 22, 2017

The Year's Best Australian Science Fiction and Fantasy (5 books)
  • Year's Best Australian Science Fiction & Fantasy, Volume 1