Start by marking “The Locus Awards: Thirty Years of the Best in Fantasy and Science Fiction” as Want to Read:
The Locus Awards: Thirty Years of the Best in Fantasy and Science Fiction

The Locus Awards: Thirty Years of the Best in Fantasy and Science Fiction

4.06  ·  Rating details ·  166 Ratings  ·  31 Reviews
A landmark volume assembling the very best of Locus Award-winning short fiction. 'this volume shows just how powerful and exciting good SF can be' - the Australian In the past three decades, 31 short stories, 28 novelettes and 29 novellas have won the Locus Award; these are the greatest examples of fantasy/science fiction during that time. this selection brings together st ...more
Published June 29th 2005 by Voyager - AU (first published June 30th 2004)

To ask other readers questions about The Locus Awards, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Locus Awards

Amy Peavy
Apr 19, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: sci-fi, fantasy
"Bears Discover Fire" By:Terry Bisson. I first heard this story on the Drabblecast. They have a fantastic reading of it. Check it out http://www.drabblecast.org/2012/01/26...

"Buffalo" by John Kessel is a story about an intelligent laborer who Meets and converses with H.G. Welles. They seem to have a lot in common.

"Even the Queen" by Connie Willis is an irreverent feminist tale concerning one girls choice to have her mensis, and her families reaction to her choice.
"Gone" by John Crowley addresses
Althea Ann
Sep 12, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Excellent collection. Of course, when you're aiming to select the best stories from the last 30 years, you're bound to get some good ones! I'd already read about half of them, which wasn't a bad ratio, and I only disliked a couple. The anthology really works as an overview and a retrospective of the genre - I'd recommend it highly to anyone who asked me, "So, why do you like SF, anyway?"

Contents:
The Death of Doctor Island • (1973) • Gene Wolfe
The Day Before the Revolution • (1974) • Ursula K. L
Nicholas Whyte
Oct 21, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
http://nhw.livejournal.com/197044.html[return][return]This is a totally superb collection. OK, $15.95 for 500 pages paperback may seem a bit pricy, but the quality of the stories really justifies it. Of the 18 stories, I had read eight previously - the six that have won both Hugo and Nebula (as well as the Locus Award, a precondition for inclusion), and also Sterling's "Maneki Neko" and Le Guin's "The Day Before The Revolution". The other ten are all classics which I should have read years ago a ...more
Tara
May 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
The first story wasn't particularly engaging, so it has taken me a long time to finish the book. Glad I stuck with it though, as there are several stand-out stories and the final story, a tribute to Ray Bradbury by Neil Gaiman, was probably the best.
A chunky book though, while you want to take the stories to read with you everywhere the hefty tome demands you stay in bed or on the couch to dedicate time to reading this collection.
Looking forward to more.
The Final Song
Really hit and miss, some stories are great others are just boring.
Jeff
Dec 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The first story is one by Gene Wolfe, and this book is already worth the money--I'm not even done with the story yet. Very excited to read some good stuff...

----
Update: It's all pretty good stuff. The Harlan Ellison story was good, but pretty much a one-trick pony. I really enjoyed the LeGuin story (more than I've enjoyed either of the two novels of hers I've read), and the story about Saint Judas Iscariot, by George R.R. Martin was pretty much written for me. I'm only a fourth of the way throug
Philip Hollenback
This was in general a good collection. I've read a lot of sci-fi 'best of' anthologies, so there were certainly a few stories in here I've read before (although to be honest, Terry Bisson's Bears Discover Fire never gets old).

One story in this book made me genuinely uncomfortable: John Varley's Persistence of Vision. A key part of that story involved an ongoing sexual relationship between a 47 year old man and a 13 year old girl. Maybe that was an acceptable thing to write about in the 1970s (sh
Vít
Nov 06, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Jako u všech těchto výběrů, střídají se i v této antologii výborné povídky s těmi slabšími.
Jako nejlepší bych vyzvedl asi "Když Říjen předsedá" Neila Gaimana, ten nikdy nezklame. Jde o podobný příběh jako v jeho Knize hřbitova. Moc se mi líbí taky "Mé oči se za mnou zavřely" Johna Varleyho, odehrává se v komunitě hluchoslepých a určitě stojí za přečtení, dál třeba "Zamilovaná Ráchel" Pat Murphyové o šimpanzici do které přenese vědec duši své mrtvé dcerky. Na závěr třeba "Peklo je nepřítomnost Bo
Rena Sherwood
The big problem with this anthology is that most (if not all) of the stories presented here have appeared in lots of other anthologies. Science-fiction has a lot of awards -- the Hugo, Nebula, Locus and others that I'm forgetting right now. Stories that win in one award group will often sweep the others as well. If you've been reading Nebula award books or the Year's Best Science Fiction books, then you've already read most (if not all) of the stories here.

However, if you've never read a science
Toggedout
May 10, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Some of these stories are really gripping: The Death of Doctor Island, Jefty is Five, The Persistence of Vision, Bloodchild, and Rachel in Love. Truly heart-rending and amazing. Most of the other ones, though, fall to the tired trope of "technology equals amazing, so read me", or "I'm on the cutting edge of sci-fi so I don't even have to be sci-fi anymore." Most of the unnamed (by me) stories in this collection reminded me of the hipster culture of Williamsburg, NY. Some were nifty, some were em ...more
James
Jul 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This took a few years to read but almost every story in this book is fantastic. There are only a few stinkers but that may be just a matter of opinion.

To me, the best science fiction stories are those that use technology/science/the future/etc to examine issues of human nature and this collection is replete with these type of stories (as opposed to those that use a science fiction setting for yet another action adventure).
Jackson Matthews
How can I count thee? Many many short and medium stories of thinking lore. It is amazing to think, too, of how predicting some of the stories are. The dates range from 1970 - 2010 -- and there are some to love, but all to at least LIKE [and there is something wonderful waiting just around the corner of the page].
CJ Bowen
A couple of excellent stories, many enjoyable stories, a couple of mind-numbingly bad stories.

Highlights:

Even the Queen - Connie Willis
Border Guards - Greg Egan
Barney
Jul 17, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A very strong anthology of high quality work. Unlike many anthologies there is little if any "filler" to be found here. Worth owning for the Ellison, Varley, Gaiman and Bisson stories. Gaiman's OCTOBER IN THE CHAIR is a loving homage to Bradbury that should not be missed. And for the record this got remaindered quickly and may currently be had for pennies on Amazon.
Natalie
This was such a great collection of science fiction short stories. I can see why they all won the Locus Award. My favorite stories in the collection were John Varley's "The Persistence of Vision" and George R. R. Martin's "The Way of Cross and Dragon". Fantastic read.
Janet Cameron
Dec 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: blue, purple, shorts
Why the HELL did I ever stop reading science fiction? Constantly surprising, often devastating collection. 'Souls' by Joanna Russ is the kind of story that makes me want to haul people off the street and tell them to read it. Save me the trouble and do so immediately.
Fred
This was well worth the read. I believe that there were 18 stories in the book and of those only two or three dragged at all. A few of these really are wonderful and worth getting the book just for them alone (Harlan Ellison's story for example).

Emma Griffiths
Mar 17, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A lot of variety and very different examples of the genre. I particularly liked The Death of Doctor Island, The Persistence of vision, The Only Neat Thing To Do and Even The Queen. Has been a while since I read a good compilation of short stories. Very American collection.
Desmond Rivet
A mixed bag. The Neil Gaiman one was mediocre. The George R. R. Martin one ("The Way of Cross and Dragon") was excellent, as was the one by Ted Chiang ("Hell is the Absence of God"). The Only Neat Thing To Do was pretty good too.
Deb
Dec 10, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Wonderful short stories from many of my favorite Sci-Fi authors!
Jeanne Burkhart
Oct 01, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Overall, mostly really great short stories. Some are, as would be expected, really weird. It's nice that there are some good women authors--Octavia Butler, James Tiptree Jr, etc.
thordora
Nice collection of some fairly influential pieces. But, anything containing work from Octavia Butler is immediately in my good books.

Left it at the mental ward since all their books sucked. :)
Kevin Gallan

Merged review:

catalogued
Brandon Patton
Mar 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Now to finally get that subscription to Locus...
Graham Clements
Mar 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily the best speculative fiction anthology I have read. Most of the stories are novella length and there is not a dull story among them. A fantastic read.
Traci Loudin
Feb 23, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: borrowed, shorts
Some really neat stories and fresh ideas from several decades of great authors.
Emma
  • The Mammoth Book of Extreme Science Fiction
  • The Starry Rift: Tales of New Tomorrows
  • Ravens in the Library: Magic in the Bard's Name
  • Supertoys Last All Summer Long and Other Stories of Future Time
  • Barsoom: The Third Omnibus (Barsoom, #6-7)
  • Human Is?: A Philip K. Dick Reader (Gollancz S.F.)
  • Eat the Sky, Drink the Ocean
  • The Year's Best Fantasy and Horror: Seventeenth Annual Collection
  • Wizards: Magical Tales From the Masters of Modern Fantasy
  • Si Janus Sílang at ang Labanáng Manananggal-Mambabarang (Janus Sílang, #2)
  • A Woman's Liberation: A Choice of Futures by and About Women