Start by marking “All-Night Party: The Women of Bohemian Greenwich Village and Harlem, 1913-1930” as Want to Read:
All-Night Party: The Women of Bohemian Greenwich Village and Harlem, 1913-1930

All-Night Party: The Women of Bohemian Greenwich Village and Harlem, 1913-1930

3.72  ·  Rating details ·  121 Ratings  ·  20 Reviews
They were smart. Sassy. Daring. Exotic. Eclectic. Sexy. And influential. One could call them the first divas--and they ran absolutely wild. They were poets, actresses, singers, artists, journalists, publishers, baronesses, and benefactresses. They were thinkers and they were drinkers. They eschewed the social conventions expected of them--to be wives and mothers--and decid ...more
Published January 3rd 2004 by Algonquin Books (first published 2004)

To ask other readers questions about All-Night Party, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about All-Night Party

Connie
I'm listening to music from the pop-jazz singer Ethel Waters, and the blues great Bessie Smith as I'm writing. They are two of the creative women featured in this book about bohemian New York, 1913-1930. Others were the poet and artist Mina Loy, the avant-garde publishers Margaret Anderson and Jane Heap, the poet Edna St Vincent Millay, the wealthy hostesses Mabel Dodge and A'Lelia Walker and their salons, and their artistic friends.

After the Great War, Victorian times were left behind as people
Kris
A disappointment -- good choice of women to profile, but little depth in the writing and very little analysis.
Sketchbook
Jun 04, 2011 rated it liked it
They were thinkers and they were drinkers, says author Barnet. They ignored the social conventions expected of them - to become wives and mums - and chose to live on their own terms. "They blasted the door open to the rest of the 20thC." Victorian morality was the oppressor. By 1916, "going public with one's animal nature" was the vogue, often at great personal cost. With the 1919 enactment of Prohibition, the forbidden - thanks to religio Americans - had glamour.

An amiable survey of some unique
Jan C
Mar 17, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ny, 2016
Primarily discusses the artist/poet Mina Loy, publishers Margaret Anderson and Jane Heap, poet Edna St. Vincent Millay, hostesses Mabel Dodge and A'Lelia Walker, and the singers Bessie Smith and Ethel Waters. It also brings in a number of artists, singers and writers in their periphery. Also the men in their lives.

Kind of gossipy. Doesn't appear to be any original research but a compilation of what others have written. But well documented. And a decent bibliography leading to other books about
Jill Hutchinson
At the dawn of the 20th century a group of people arose to challenge the public thinking on poetry, art, literature and music......call them Futurists or Bohemians, they made a difference to the arts in the years to come. This book concentrates on six women who were a leading force in the movement in both Greenwich Village and Harlem from 1913-1930. Some went on to fame and long careers while others are almost unknown today

The lived their lives on their own terms and public opinion be damned. Th
Jean Perry
Jul 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very interesting book about creative women of the 1920's. The sub-title is "the Women of. Bohemian Geenwich Village and Harlem. It led me to look for other books about the women described. I was a little put-off by the fact that the Black women were ALL talked about at the end of the book. Really!?! I'm a 70 year old White woman and have nothing to do with the publishing business and even i know that that is not good editing of material and might be offensive to some readers. I couldn't see any ...more
Madeline
There is not very much analysis in All-Night Party, which is really a shame, especially given the women she chose to focus on: the hostesses are fairly obscure, and Mina Loy is probably not as popular as she was, but Edna St. Vincent Millay, Bessie Smith, and Ethel Waters are all well-known artists. My favorite chapter was the one which discussed Jane Heap and Margaret Anderson, who are much more obscure and therefore more interesting. I am a big fan of Millay, but one chapter in a group biograp ...more
Roxanne
Jul 24, 2007 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: everyone
Interesting glimpse into the lives of several women who were contemporaries during the Progressive Era. I'm chagrined to admit I'd never heard of most of them, the exceptions being Edna Millay, Bessie Smith, Margaret Anderson and Jane Heap.

It makes me think of social progress from a different perspective; it seems not to be a steady push forward, but we advance in great waves and heaves.
Diane Nagatomo
May 06, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I skimmed this book in one sitting on the train to prepare for a "React to the Past" workshop that will cover this era. I'll definitely go back and reread it again...fascinating women in a fascinating era. I had no idea.
Donna Lewis
Feb 25, 2013 rated it liked it
I skimmed most of the book but did read the sections about Bessie Smith and Ethel Waters, both of whom had much more difficult lives than the white bohemians in Greenwich Village. Interesting.
Kim Springer
Dec 04, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Written by my sister so yes, 5 stars. Each chapter focuses on different women from this time period, Edna Vincent Millay, Mina Loy, and Bessie Smith to name a few. Well written and easy to read.
Kara
Oct 02, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: women's history fans
Shelves: bios-and-memoirs
The women Barnet includes in this look at the early 20th-century Boho set are fascinating: Edna St. Millay, Mina Loy, Bessie Smith, among others. They led wild, excessive lives in the pursuit of art and the New Woman. They took part in salons, started their own literary journals, declared themselves futurists and modernists, fostered addictions, slept with whomever they liked, and generally scandalized the rest of post-Victorian America.

While there stories are all very interesting, much of the b
Pia
Oct 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
The biographies are somewhat incomplete. You can definitely find better information elsewhere on some of the women included in this book. However, as a whole it's worth reading as a portrait of the era. It's a great starting point if you're interested in any of the subjects.
Cherie
Aug 16, 2007 rated it liked it
Interesting, but skimmed
Erin
Jan 20, 2009 rated it it was ok
kind of poorly written, but still worth it to find out the stories of these cool ladies. Skip the St. Vincent Millay chapter, though, and just read her bio..
J. Dorn
Fascinating women. Boring writing.
Shelley Marlow
This book is helping me research for my silent film actress character in Two Augusts in a Row in a Row.
Irene Palfy
Jan 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
read my review here:

Thank you! ;")
Kelly Martinez
I enjoyed it it was a very easy read and very light. Just a teaser. This might be a book for ppl that know nothing about these woman but if you've read and studied this period this isn't the book for you too light
Sasha
Jun 04, 2012
Cathleen
Oct 19, 2007
Cherie
Jun 19, 2017
Kl
rated it did not like it
Jan 13, 2016
May 19, 2008
Cameron
Jan 22, 2008
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »
Bright Young Things: August 2016 All-Night Party by Andrea Barnet 34 25 Aug 30, 2016 09:28AM
  • American Moderns: Bohemian New York and the Creation of a New Century
  • When Harlem Was in Vogue
  • Bobbed Hair and Bathtub Gin: Writers Running Wild in the Twenties
  • Anything Goes: A Biography of the Roaring Twenties
  • Among the Bohemians : Experiments in Living 1900-1939
  • The Crazy Years: Paris in the Twenties
  • Only Yesterday: An Informal History of the 1920's
  • Flapper: A Madcap Story of Sex, Style, Celebrity, and the Women Who Made America Modern
  • Exile's Return: A Literary Odyssey of the 1920s
  • Bright Young People: The Rise and Fall of a Generation 1918-1940
  • Bohemian Paris: Picasso, Modigliani, Matisse and the Birth of Modern Art
  • The Historical Atlas of New York City: A Visual Celebration of Nearly 400 Years of New York City's History
  • My Ears Are Bent
  • Seductress: Women Who Ravished the World and Their Lost Art of Love
  • The Damned and the Beautiful: American Youth in the 1920's
  • All Around the Town
  • Amusing the Million: Coney Island at the Turn of the Century (American Century)
  • In A Gilded Cage: From Heiress to Duchess