Start by marking “Crooked Moon” as Want to Read:
Crooked Moon

Crooked Moon

3.95  ·  Rating details ·  163 Ratings  ·  49 Reviews
As children, Frankie Cavalese and Callie Mason were the very best of friends, growing up together on opposite walls of a row home in a blue-collar neighborhood of Philadelphia called Rainytown.
The friendship they shared was special - the kind that storybook heroines had - and neither ever considered the possibility of it not lasting forever. But after high school, life in
Published February 21st 2008 by Saberlee Books (first published February 19th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Crooked Moon, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Crooked Moon

Ward
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
After my wife and my niece raved about this book, I just had to read it. Not only was it very well written, but the author hooked me in by the first page. The development of the story and the conversations between characters was, for me, the best part of the book. I've read books before that had clever dialogue yet at the same time didn't feel genuine to me. And when I don't believe the characters are real people, I don't really care as much for the story.

The conversations in Crooked Moon were
Sheri
Jan 26, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Crooked Moon is a page turner. This read is so intense. Each character has a hidden secret, and they are so shocking. I could not put this one down. Anyone who loves a great tale of friendship, heartache and hidden secrets, will not be disappointed in Crooked Moon.
Lisette delves into each character bringing them to life in your mind. I eagerly anticipate her next novel, Squalor New Mexico!
Sherrie
Jan 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I tried forming a preconceived idea of what to expect from Lisette Brodey's novel, Crooked Moon, as her premise had already appealed to me. Ultimately, her story wound up touching me in ways I could not have prepared myself.

Each character's life is captivatingly cultivated and as unique as any person's I've encountered in real life. I found myself becoming attached to each, even the ones with whom I would not wish to personally associate. From the beginning, I found myself caring quite deeply ab
Al Boudreau
Mar 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Lisette Brodey's "Crooked Moon" is a fascinating look at our echelons of society, and how people relate to them. This expertly woven tale takes the reader on a poignant journey involving two women, friends since childhood, who end up on opposite sides of the tracks. Estranged for over two decades, a death in the family reunites the pair.

Though a work of fiction, I constantly felt as though I was reading a real story about real people. Ms. Brodey deftly uses point of view, and well written dialo
Jen Knox
Nov 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I'm a sucker for a novel that doesn't rely on an obvious enemy, a tale of good and evil, but rather digs in deep and examines human behavior from the inside out. In Crooked Moon, a reunion occurs between two women, each of whom seems compelled to reconcile her past and move forward, somewhere, but neither seems quite sure how to go about doing so. Secrets, as they do, are weighing them down. And boy! These women have secrets.

This book was both fun and filled with surprising insight. The writing
Sammy Sutton
Mar 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Crooked Moon is a story compelling enough to read more than once, a timeless, yet modern tale written by an author with meticulous diversity and talent.

After a 23 year absence, Callie returns to her childhood home in Rainytown, PA. Like a volcano, her presence, spews secrets to the surface sending the past into a full-blown eruption.

Callie and her childhood friend Frankie are saturated in the hot lava of secrets. Oh, the dangers boiling from once passive decisions, resulting from moments in the
Maria
Mar 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book.
Frankie and Callie were childhood best friends, more like sisters than friends, living next door to each other in Rainytown, a less than desirable neighbourhood. Their friendship was something that helped them through life's hard lessons. When Callie moved out of the neighbourhood she left her friend behind and always regretted doing so. Her life had changed and her social circle was not one where her friend would have felt comfortable. Twenty three years later, Callie
Laura Schultz
Dec 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Let me preface this review by stating that I don't usually read modern novels, as many of them to me are Much Ado About Not Too Much, but I had heard so many wonderful comments about Lisette Brodey's "Crooked Moon" that I eagerly anticipated delving into it. There are just some books that are timeless and so passionately written that it was important for me to let other potential readers know about this page turner. This insightful birds-eye view into the lives of people in a blue collar communi ...more
Stuart
Sep 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Lisette Brodey created an unforgettable atmosphere of friendships, love, secrets, and ultimately betrayal in her powerfully written novel, ‘Crooked Moon’.

I was immediately drawn into the main characters, Frankie and Callie, childhood friends who parted ways and went on to lead totally different lives. Twenty-three years later they reunite and their lives are thrown into chaos. The drama builds throughout this masterfully written tale. As a reader I could relate to all the emotions as the circums
Beth
Jan 13, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Crooked Moon is a delightful novel of opposites colliding, secrets unfolding, and hearts breaking. It's all here: love, death, misery, joy, fury, shame, loyalty, forgiveness, friendship, and jealousy -- and it's a page-turner. While reading this surprise-of-a-novel, I kept thinking it was quite a bit like watching a terrific sit-com and a drama rolled into one.

Questions arise in this book, questions that most of us have asked ourselves, like: whatever happened to my childhood friend that I lost
Richard Hale
Nov 18, 2011 rated it it was amazing
CROOKED MOON captures the soul of a story and holds it close for the reader to feel.

Callie Hethers and Mary Frances (Frankie) Cavalese were the best of friends. Growing up, they shared everything, even a secret kind of code they would tap out to each other between the walls of their buildings late at night. Through grade school, middle and high school, they stuck together and though they came from different backgrounds, nothing got in the way of their friendship.

Then everything changed.

Callie le
Marta Moran Bishop
Jan 09, 2011 rated it it was amazing
A TRUE CLASSIC TALE OF FRIENDSHIP, LOVE AND HONOR
Lisette Brodey is truly a wonderful and gifted writer. Each page of her book "Crooked Moon," touches on an aspect of human nature in all its ugliness and beauty.

The characters aren't just well written they are truly people. While reading it, I found myself saying, I have met this person, maybe the name is different, but the personality is not. It is a tale of how insecurity, jealousy and self interest can lead one down a road that can damage or
Molly Ringle
Feb 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
The charm here is all about the characters--and what characters they are! Brodey does fine work giving each their own distinct voice and an interesting arc, and some dynamite arguments and flirtations, all within the modest confines of a story about a bitter mom dying of cancer. Now, normally that kind of scenario makes me say, "No, thanks," to a book, but this isn't a *cancer novel*, the way some are. Brodey's scenes are all laced with humor and honesty, and enough juicy gossip to keep me turni ...more
Christy Stewart
Jan 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
One of the most honest books I've read. Realistic characters are one thing, but people in Brodey's book seem to bare themselves of their own accord.

I have little in my life that is relatable to the issues in this story but as I read it, I felt as if I was going through them with Frankie and Callie. In reflection, it's so apparent that Brodey gets the essential needs and the primal reactions that humans have and that although I was reading about love and friendship and family I was really just re
Wright Gres
May 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Lisette Brodey, in her debut novel, “Crooked Moon,” has given us a delightful, quirky story of family and friendship, of betrayal and forgiveness.

Brodey employs a wonderful use of language – combined with the occasional, hugely entertaining, and purposeful misuse of same – in leading the reader through the twists and turns in the lives of Callie Mason and Mary Frances “Frankie” Cavalese.

It’s the vagaries of life that separated the two best friends after high school, and it’s death that brings t
Megan Hansen
Jan 23, 2010 rated it it was amazing
This book is full of clever writing, interesting and relatable characters and so much drama I could hardly put it down! Brodey has the knack for making me smile from her quick wit in one paragraph and gasp in shock the next. The characters in this story were so real, it was hard not to relate to Callie and Frankie. If you’re a fan of drama and love unexpected plot twists, this is the book for you!
Karen
Mar 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing

Have you ever wondered what happened to your childhood friend, what it would be like to re-connect? I love how Lisette uses this premise as the backdrop for a well told story.

Lisette runs the gamut of human emotions: shame, fury, death, resentment, jealousy, forgiveness, loyalty and with each emotional thread woven, I was with her every step of the way!
TJ
Mar 18, 2011 marked it as to-read
OK, Lisette, my curiosity is piqued, I now have to read this!
Ann Swann
Aug 21, 2014 rated it it was amazing

Lisette Brodey's lustrous prose and quick wit make this story both moving and page-turning.

Living next door to each other in Rainytown, a blue-collar neighborhood in Philadelphia, Frankie and Callie were the very best of friends. Even Paulie, Frankie's brother, had a crush on Callie. However, when they grew up, Callie went off to college and married a well-to-do hunk while Frankie got stuck in Rainytown caring for her depressive mother. Though she missed her best friend, Callie never went back t
LA
Feb 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: general
Not being a wide reader of fiction, books like Crooked Moon really take me out of my comfort zone and require me to think more creatively. However, there are few novels that are able to do this, often because the author lacks the wordsmithing skill to create memorable characters and events. Fortunately, Lisette Brodey does not have such a problem. There's a very unique flavor to her writing in that she is able to create characters with true emotions and vulnerabilities, facing common struggles f ...more
Rob Dinsmoor
Nov 10, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Crooked Moon is the story of two close childhood friends, Frankie Cavalese and Callie Mason, who grew apart until serendipity brought them back together after over 20 years. It is a bittersweet reunion, as Callie slowly wins Frankie's trust again after writing Frankie out of her life. As with her other book, Squalor, New Mexico, Lisette likes to delve into buried family secrets, and both Frankie's and Callie's families have a lot of them.

Lisette is very adept at showing the best and worst in ev
Tahlia Newland
Jun 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: chick-lit
A very moving story about two friends reuniting after many years apart. Add the death of their mothers and a slightly shaky marriage and you get a situation ripe for self reflection and change. What was really well done was the way the people came to terms with their emotions and dealt with their challenges in a postitive way to find a resolution for all of them.

The only thing I didn't like was the jumping around from one character's head to another's. We didn't need to know what minor character
Darlene
Wonderful Literary Fiction - A Must Read

The story of two best friends coming together after 23 years apart is a heartfelt journey of emotion, growth and love with some misunderstanding along the way. I was totally immersed from the first page when Callie reflects on the intervening years before seeing her childhood friend, Frankie, again. The characters are well drawn and belivable, the book is a page turner. Highly recommended!
Georgiann Hennelly
Jan 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
A story about two friends one rich one poor and how they lost touch after highschool, and everything that is now going on in there lifes. life and death. love and death. a very compelling story.
Richard Schwindt
Sep 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: my-favorites
Callie and Frankie (Mary-Francis) shared a girlhood in a working class neighborhood. As adults they have been divided for many years by circumstance, and perhaps more importantly, by disparities in wealth. For those familiar with Lisette Brodey's work these are familiar themes: wealth vs poverty, abandonment, grief, family, and familial separation. When they re-enter each other lives it is with awkwardness and mistrust. They are just too different.Crooked Moon is a story of redemption, bridging ...more
Jill Martin
Aug 11, 2017 rated it liked it
Janet Laybourne
Aug 30, 2017 rated it did not like it
I cannot believe I even read it to the end. I've read some of the reviews and wonder if we even read the same book. The only way I can describe the writing is to call it 'immature'. The conversations didn't seem real to me, how the characters reacted to different circumstances didn't seem real to me. I was very disappointed in the book. I did a lot of quick scanning to get through it.
Louise
Aug 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Story Description:

Saberlee Books|February 19, 2008|Trade Paperback|ISBN: 978-0-9815836-6-2

Crooked Moon, first and foremost, is a human drama, an emotional journey into the lives of two women and those closest to them. As children, Frankie Cavalese and Callie Mason were the very best of friends, growing up together behind opposite walls of a row home in a blue-collar neighborhood of Philadelphia called Rainytown. The friendship they shared was special – the kind that storybook heroines had – and
Kathleen Harryman
Aug 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
This book got to me completely, it is so beautifully written that I felt very much a part of this story.

The book is based around the friendship of two girls; Frankie Cavalese and Callie Mason. I truly felt for Frankie, as she gave up everything to look after her sick ma, and could not help but be carried away by the strength of character that Lisette Brodey portrayed in Frankie. Frankie has a big heart, big enough to accept and forgive Callie's 23 year gap in their friendship.

This book will take
Linda Abbott
May 02, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you like to read books about happy things like puppies and butterflies this novel may not be your cup of tea. But if you’re looking for a riveting story about friendship, betrayal and redemption – and a realistic portrayal of a dysfunctional family with enough baggage to fill a hotel lobby – Crooked Moon will not disappoint. This novel has it all.

From the opening pages the author beautifully conveys the angst and trepidation Callie feels when she faces a friend that she turned her back on man
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 next »
  • Dinky: The Nurse Mare's Foal
  • Coincidences
  • Bountiful Creek: a legendary love story
  • The Aunt Sally Team
  • Catching the Westbound
  • Dancing With Eternity
  • Girl Under Glass (Glass and Iron, #1)
  • The Boss's Inexperienced Secretary
  • Heart Waves (Heart Waves, #1)
  • Satan Is The New Cupid
  • Annie and the Outlaw
  • Percival's Angel (Merlin's Harp, #3)
  • Lost In The Mist Of Time
  • The Final Salute
  • My Prison Without Bars: The Journey of a Damaged Woman to Someplace Normal
  • The Key of Amatahns (Argetallam Saga, #1)
  • Realms Of The Red Rabbit: (Realms Of The Red Rabbit Series, Book 1)
Lisette was born and raised in Pennsylvania. After high school, she moved to New York City where she attended Pace University and studied drama. After ten years in New York, several of them working in the radio industry, she moved to Los Angeles for four years where she held various positions at Paramount Studios in Hollywood and CBS Studio Center in Studio City, CA.

Back on the East Coast, she wor

• The Falls (P.S.)
    $8.74 $1.99
  • Broken Pieces
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Love Held Captive (A Lone Star Hero's Love Story)
    $8.99 $2.99
  • The Girl Who Came Home
    $11.99 $1.99
  • When Jesus Wept (The Jerusalem Chronicles, #1)
  • In the Name of the Family
    $15.99 $1.99
  • The Fifth Avenue Artists Society
  • All That's Left of Me
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Celestine Prophecy (Celestine Prophecy, #1)
  • Palm Trees in the Snow
  • The Year We Left Home
    $11.99 $2.99
  • The Whip
    $5.99 $1.99
  • Touching Spirit Bear (Spirit Bear, #1)
  • Written on the Body
    $13.99 $2.99
  • Journey's End (Gilded Promises)