Start by marking “Un mundo para Julius” as Want to Read:
Un mundo para Julius

Un mundo para Julius

Esta ha sido elegida la mejor novela peruana de todos los tiempos. Es el retrato de un sector feliz y despreocupado de la oligarquía limeña.

Julius es un niño inteligente y bien tratado por la fortuna, que resulta pretexto, punto de continua confluencia de un sistema de costumbres y de ideas que configuran una situación tenida de buen gusto, amenazada por la fragilidad y s
Published June 1st 2005 by Planeta Publishing (first published 1970)

To ask other readers questions about Un mundo para Julius, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Un mundo para Julius

Start your review of Un mundo para Julius
Regina Andreassen
I am an avid reader, and extremely selective. I have read at least a thousand books, and many of them several times. As a book lover and as a social scientist I find this book absolutely brilliant! I wish it was easy to find it here in Australia and that it was more promoted all over the World. A World For Julius is a masterpiece. I have read it many times in both Spanish and English. The story is brilliantly narrated. The writing is beautiful and vivid, the characters are exquisitely crafted, n ...more
Alex
Jan 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A truly south american novel, written in that great style that the south american writers have. Echeniques irony, humor, sense of observation made this book a very nice read. There is coming of age on more than one level. Great social novel as well.
There is no real action in this book, there is just life passing by with its good stuff and bad stuff. In the beginning i thought it will be a very boring book to read, long and boring, but i quickly changed my opininion due to the great art of Echen
Regina Andreassen
The Spanish version is superior! This is not a bad translation but there area few things that I find problematic. I believe that the introduction could have addressed certain issues that frequently occur when translating a book as complex and long as this one. In the original Spanish version there are many phrases and key terms that the characters say in English, not in Spanish, this is because the main characters of A World of Julius are wealthy Peruvians of Spanish/English descent (Caucasian), ...more
Nikos79
A world for Julius is a definition of a social novel as it deals entirely with Peruvian society of Lima. More specifically mostly with Peruvian high society, the whole plot revolves around a family which belongs to Peruvian aristocracy of the era, its life and times over approximately seven years and this is given to reader via the innocent eyes of a kid, which year by year perceive the world around him in a kind of different way and reaching his teen years starts feeling a bit male.

One can say
Tiffany
Jul 13, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Part 2 of great South American translated novels (part 1 was One Hundred Years of Solitude). I now realize just how great a feat it is to translate literature from different languages. Though I wish my Spanish could one day be advanced enough to read the original (I highly doubt it, as it took enough concentration to read it in English), I am still so impressed by the distinct syntax of this book, as well as One Hundred Years of Solitude- similar, yet each with a special style.

Once again, that
Patricia Murphy
Jan 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: novels
I had to tuck and roll on this one at the end--there were about 100 superfluous pages that dragged on. It's sad, since I enjoyed the first part of the book: the social commentary on class in Lima, the interesting shift in POV, the sprightly young narrator.
Liz
Dec 07, 2008 rated it liked it
A bit long--too many languid afternoons at the country club for Julius's parents. I wanted to throttle the mother and found his stepfather and older brothers absolutely terrifying.
Edd Simmons
If you can’t name Grade-A literature I don’t know what you to tell you. High in detail, and depth this book does it all. Julius who this book circles around mainly revolves around the years around his birthday. This book is highly aristocratic, and makes you fell like you reading something from directly from that era. My enjoyment from the book was julius’s childhood. A young boy, sometimes mischievous, but because of his young age always playful. I loved him as a character and had a deep emphat ...more
Michael
Apr 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
The first novel by Peruvian author Alfredo Bryce is one of his best. The book tells the story of Julius, a fragile kid of Peru's high society. With humor and incredible tenderness, Bryce walks us through what Peruvian high society was like a few decades ago. Through Julius's eyes Bryce let us see beneath the skin to show a sad world in a seemingly perfect life. It is a wonderful book
jeremy bradner
Oct 22, 2008 rated it really liked it
I got this because it said in a review it was the best peruvian novel ever. It was beautifully written and had a lot of good stories. I probably would have understood a lot more had I spent any time in peru. Worth the read, though fo sho.
Viviana Vivanco
Nov 16, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: adrismadris
Recommended to Viviana by: Ofelia Espejo
Shelves: latin-american
My introduction to Bryce Echenique (thank you Ofelia!). Needless to say, as soon as I finished it, I bought more of his novels.
Witty. I love the way Bryce Echenique describes everyday life events in a way that makes them relevant as hell.
Rebeca
Sep 17, 2017 rated it it was ok
The fist One hundred pages kept me interested, loved the style and the theme but then it became too much of the same
-----------
Jan 22, 2019 rated it it was amazing
This is a wonderful book. I myself am half Peruvian, so to read the past social situation of my country really touched my deep in my soul. I just finished it, and I'm delighted not only because of the trapping plot that caughts your attention so much it doesn't let you go until the very last page, but also because of the beauty in the writing stile, which make it even more interesting to read.

And yet, it starts so simple, almost innocently, but it was my favorite South American book for years. I
Daniel Romero Vargas
Jan 28, 2018 rated it it was amazing
A loveliest book everyone should have as a first read. Exhuberant prose for a story that reveals what an aristocrat young fellow's was in classical chaotic Peru of the 50s and 60s.
Marty Lainz
Mar 14, 2017 rated it it was amazing
HIS BEST !!!....
Meg
Apr 15, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, peru
Part One, summarized: All the adults around Julius behave badly and totally fail to do the right thing; Julius still somehow manages to be a super sweet regular kid instead of an entitled brat.

275 pages in: If I had a dollar for every time the word "maricon" appears in this book, I COULD BUY SOME CIVIL RIGHTS FOR GAY PEOPLE IN 1960'S LIMA.

Final verdict: I had a really hard time getting through the first part of this book as it just didn't really grab me emotionally (there was a lot of satirical
B. Asma
Dec 13, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The idea of 'a world' for Julius might apply equally to a number of the book's characters. But the focus is this five to eleven year old Peruvian boy -- his mother and step-father, siblings, servants, and schooling. It's completely an adult story (marriage, family life, teenage boys, social events, people from every walk of life) as much extends into the periphery of Julius' world at times when he isn't present. Without giving away the specific incident, a marvelous episode of a character's buil ...more
George P.
By half-way through "A World for Julius" I was thinking,"oh my gosh this is long- and not much happens either". I still sort of think that, but I developed an increasing appreciation for the nuances of Bryce Echinque's style, which seemed to loosen up more in the latter half as well, and I really enjoyed the creativity of his storytelling. I became more interested in the characters as well, and wanted to know how Julius changed as time went on.
Susan Hester
I so wanted. Love this book, but I didn't. I wanted a novel set in a country I'm interested in, but instead of learning about the country and the locale, it was only about class divide, which I can learn about by reading the newspapers.
Antonio Ognio
May 29, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Antonio by: Teachers, High School
Very nice novel about a young aristocratic boy in the 1950's Peru. Best-known book from Alfredo Bryce Echenique. For me it's one more reason to eat some delicious butifarras from time to time.
courtney
Jan 27, 2009 rated it liked it
A nice insight into Peruvian life in the 1960s.
Jessika
Nov 27, 2009 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: yes
read it again ( in english) after so many years. coming from a privilege background does not guarantee absolute happiness & well being. ...more
Traceydipaolo
Feb 02, 2010 is currently reading it
so far I am loving this book...I'm reading the English translation....the author has incredible style...
Meredith
Apr 11, 2010 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I didn't finish it. It had a few good lines, but nothing else to keep me reading.
Meche Baca
Jul 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
idolo
Maka
Aug 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Read many years ago for the first time ... great book, I have read again a couple of times.
Luis
Jan 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Great....
Anna Anjos
It´s a dreamy book. Rather in the meaning of visions in my perception, like a very distinct memory of a hot sunny day, when you feel a bit sleepy relaxed.
Enrique
Aug 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
His best book, a masterpiece description of the rich and spoiled in 50-60's Lima. Delicate, deep and revealing, a must-read if you are interested in Latin America (or in good books)
Reading 1001: A World for Julius by Alfredo Bryce Echenique 1 5 Apr 29, 2020 03:29PM

• La ciudad y los perros
  • La distancia que nos separa
  • Los ríos profundos
  • No se lo digas a nadie
  • El pez en el agua
  • Travesuras de la niña mala
  • Conversation in the Cathedral
  • Pantaleón y las visitadoras
  • Los últimos días de <<La Prensa>>
  • Los jefes y Los cachorros
  • The Green House
  • Abril rojo
  • Aunt Julia and the Scriptwriter
  • Cien años de soledad: Sumario, analisis de laobra y estudio sobre el autor y su espoca
  • La palabra del mudo
  • El Paraíso en la otra esquina
  • Tradiciones peruanas
  • La casa de los espíritus II
Nacido dentro de una prominente familia de banqueros, sus padres fueron Francisco Bryce Arróspide y Elena Echenique Basombrío de Bryce. Su tatarabuelo, José Rufino Echenique, fue presidente del Perú en 1851, y su familia está relacionada con la francesa Flora Tristán y con el barón Clemens Althaus de Hesse.

Bryce Echenique, educado en el seno de la oligarquía limeña, cursó sus estudios primarios, e

News & Interviews