Start by marking “Halliburton's Army: How a Well-Connected Texas Oil Company Revolutionized the Way America Makes War” as Want to Read:

Halliburton's Army is the first book to show, in shocking detail, how Halliburton really does business, in Iraq, and around the world. From its vital role as the logistical backbone of the U.S. occupation in Iraq--without Halliburton there could be no war or occupation--to its role in covering up gang-rape amongst its personnel in Baghdad, Halliburton's Army is a devastati ...more
Published February 3rd 2009 by Nation Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Halliburton's Army, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Halliburton's Army

Start your review of Halliburton's Army: How a Well-Connected Texas Oil Company Revolutionized the Way America Makes War
Ben
Feb 22, 2009 rated it really liked it

Halliburton's Army: How A Well-Connected Texas Oil Company Revolutionized The Way America Makes War

By Pratap Chatterjee
Nation Books
304 pages
$26.95

Pratap Chatterjee, director of CorpWatch, a dogged, effective monitor of corporate malfeasance, has a long track record as a muckraking journalist. The dirt he uncovers on Dick Cheney and Donald Rumsfeld's favorite company in Halliburton's Army could help provide grounds for an interesting, and gratifying, series
Colin
Feb 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
I love those wild and crazy war profiteers. They're a riot.

Tricky Dick Cheney is always up to some kooky hijinx. Whether it's creating favorable conditions for companies to profit off war. Or presiding as Chairman of those very same companies and personally reaping massive profits. Or even starting wars so the same companies can make obscene profits for subpar/dangerous quality goods and services. For the latter, he won't profit from it. After all, he had a blind trust. Once he leaves office he'
Simon Wood
Sep 02, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
"DON'T WORRY ABOUT PRICE IT'S COST-PLUS"

So was the catchphrase amongst management at that patriotic provider of military services Halliburton and their subsidiary Kellogs, Brown and Root who are the subject of this fine piece of muck-raking journalism by CorpWatch's Pratap Chatterjee.

The first part of Chatterjees "Haliburton's Army" patiently sets the context within which companies such as Halliburton were to become recepients of multi-billion dollar contracts during the Gulf War. The story of
JoAnn
Aug 17, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-it
This is a book that every American should read. It could easily be called the Fleecing of America by an American Company.
This book spells travesty through out each of its pages.

It is well documented and soundly provided as an attempt to show the American people just what we have allowed in this nation. Certainly, it points to an almost financial fall of America by those only too willing to reach into the pockets of every place this nation had funds.

The benign neglect and outrageous oversight t
Thorn MotherIssues
Apr 30, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: read-2009
Thorough, terrifying. I don't really know what to say except that I'm glad I read it and horrified (though not surprised) by the new things I learned from it.
Deena Scintilla
Jul 16, 2009 rated it really liked it
The more I read the more angry I get so it has to be done in small increments. Definitely not to be read if one has high blood pressure.
Syed Gilani
May 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
For me this is the Bible of Government Contracting.
Kim Zinkowski
Nov 26, 2017 rated it liked it
Unrated at completion other than to note that the book was informative.
Chris Bauer
Dec 10, 2016 rated it liked it
Exceptionally well-researched, full of dark anecdotes and tales of outright greed - Chatterjee delves deep into the world of Halliburton. He explores the company from its humble roots as an oil well / concrete company and its eventual expansion into the global stage.

Very unflattering portraits of both Cheney and Rumsfield abound. I understand the book came about by way of a Rolling Stone expose, which may account for the negative tone of its topic.

I found myself repelled by the avarice depicted
Diane C.
Nov 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Have read books about Iraq war, Halliburton and other contactors, etc. In this book, the strongest point the author made was that with a volunteer army, the U.S. had to provide cushy services at war.

And once they did, corruption and abuse ran rampant. Private contractors come at too high a price, literally and figuratively.

That said, should men and women at war go w/o, will they be tough enough? When they are making such a great sacrifice, shouldn't we pamper them a bit if we can? It's complica
Craig
Oct 18, 2009 rated it really liked it
Halliburton, Kellogg, Brown, and Root, and their subcontractors have committed to so many human rights violations I can't begin to list them. This may be the classic example of what happens when services are privatized, particularly when the companies involved have are completely focused on profit and have no regard for workers. I now join the chorus demanding Rumsfeld and Cheney be tried for international rights violations, along with all the management at Halliburton/KBR.
Fredrick Danysh
Feb 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: history
From Vietnam to the present the American government has been hiring firms to perform more and more of the functions that the military used to provide themselves. Corruption and cost over runs multiplied with large salaries for managers while paying minimum wages to those actually doing the work, often in harm's way. Is taxpayer money really being saved in the long run through private contracts? This is a book American citen voters should read.
Mark Baines
Aug 15, 2016 rated it really liked it
Maybe not a must read, but a real eye opener, from LBJ to Cheney, the board has profited immensely on the back of the Washington Hawks and the GI. Shame on them. Short term gain from long term destructive consequences. Glad I read it, along with Moneyball.
Altonmann
Jan 19, 2011 rated it it was ok
This "book" was never actually written. It's merely a dumpster filled with research - although the research is quite enlightening. If someone had taken this undigested research and shaped it into a coherent narrative, it might be worth 3 or 4 stars.
Saad Al-suwaidan
May 20, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Very Informative, and "eye openning" for someone who lives in Kuwait
Saeed
Feb 15, 2010 rated it liked it
Excellent research into the eye-opening transformation of the US military machine over the last decade.
Mike