Start by marking “Mountains of Spices” as Want to Read:
Mountains of Spices

Mountains of Spices

(High Places #2)

An allegory of the nine spices mentioned in Song of Solomon compared with the nine fruits of the Spirit.
Published June 20th 1983 by Tyndale Momentum (first published January 1st 1977)

To ask other readers questions about Mountains of Spices, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Mountains of Spices

Dave
Jun 27, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Great sequal to Hind's Feet. After personal healing and an understanding of who we are in Him, our time in His presence leads to a change of passions within us as we transformed into His image. The fruit of the Spirit bloom and should quite naturally lead to extending the kingdom of His love to the world
Sandra
I liked this book enough that it has been my before-bed reading for the past few weeks, but it's not one I would read again, nor did I find anything particularly outstanding about it. It is a sequel to Hurnard's Hinds' Feet on High Places, which I liked a lot; I've also read Hurnard's Winged Life, which I gave 5 stars. Although Mountains of Spices didn't particularly float my boat, it fulfilled my purpose: good spiritual bed-time inspiration, something calm and relaxing. And soporific.

Here, we f
Carter E
Nov 16, 2011 rated it liked it
I thought this book was different. Mountains of Spices is the book I just got done reading. This book is really different than any other book I have read in the past. Mountains of Spices has Kings and Queens in it. Not only that but it also has many chapters about mountains and their significance in this book. For every mountain there is at least 1 or 2 poems for them describing them and their importance in the book. I would recommend this book to someone who is in the mood of reading about Kin ...more
Liz
Jan 30, 2014 rated it liked it
While I loved Hinds Feet on High Places, I felt 'meh' about Mountains of Spices. The allegory felt more forced and the conflict is a little too easily resolved.

After returning from the High Places with the Shepherd, newly re-named Much Afraid (now Grace and Glory) encounters her old life and family - Bitterness, Umbrage, Murmurings, Craven Fear, Mrs. Dismal Forebodings, etc. Through introducing them to the Shepherd, everyone is re-named as they experience transformation - from Craven Fear to Fea
Elsa
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This is such a great book.
That about sums it up.
Zaccaria Bennett
Jan 31, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2018-reads
After reading Hinds Feet On High Places a few years ago, I had really high hopes for this. I guess maybe in those few years I have changed and though this book was good and had good messages, I found it to fall flat, especially in comparison to the first book. I think Allegories are effective when you're in a particular season of your life. for me I felt that maybe a few years ago I would have been in a season where this would have really spoken to me, but now not so much. Still contains good me ...more
Sarah Tummey
Dec 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
As a story, I much preferred this to its prequel - "Hinds' Feet on High Places"; it moves faster and the chapters seem to be shorter. A lot of thought has obviously gone into the characters. I particularly liked Mrs Dismal Forebodings - a real Ebenezer Scrooge-type, huddled by a minuscule fire with a tiny curl of smoke coming up the chimney.
Saphraneet
Jul 28, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fiction, spirituality
I enjoyed this as much as I did the first time I read it over 35 years ago. The author had a unique way of teaching about the fruit of the Spirit by associating them with the nine spices mentioned in the Song of Songs. It was satisfying to read how the lives of the characters introduced in Hinds' Feet turned out.
Bobbi Mullins
Jun 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
Very simple but sweet allegory, and one that spoke to me on many levels. I highly recommend it for anyone who is trying to become a better person.
Alaina
Feb 02, 2019 rated it it was amazing
One of the best Christian books I have ever read.
Natalie
Jan 09, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: novels
A follow on from Hinds Feet on High Places - not quite as life changing for me personally - though I still would highly recommend reading both of these books.
Vicky Sue Tye
Jun 13, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent read

Loved the book - think outside the box. Thirst for our Master. A good read for the seeking disciple. Enjoy!
Tracy
Jul 13, 2017 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
It was very dissapointing! I really enjoyed her story telling from hinds feet on high places; this missed the mark! I did enjoy learning about the new characters and what happens in their lives. The spices and fruits of the spirit thing made no sense and was really boring. I'm on chapter 12 and will only finish so I know what happens at the end
Sylvia
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a beautiful, rich allegory of the sanctifying work Christ does in our life.
Clare Farrelly
Oct 16, 2016 rated it really liked it
Three and a half stars. There was a lot of telling in this book and preaching, but I expected that because of the first book. But everything is still written in a most lovely and understandable way, except for the occasional word that crops up that I had never seen before which is a hugely unusual thing for me to find. The allegory or at least the analogies withing the analogies within the while allegory occasionally got just a bit too odd and strange that I pulled me out of the story.

Still I e
Karin
Oct 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Mountains of Spices is the sequel to Hannah Hurnard's Hinds Feet on High Places. Mountains of Spices reunites us with the character Much Afraid, who by the end of Hinds Feet... is given the new name Grace and Glory by the Shepherd.
In this sequel, each mountain contains a spice, there are nine in all. The spices represent the virtues and gifts/fruits of the Holy Spirit.
The allegory unfolds a beautiful story of transformation of the characters who still represent vices like Craven Fear, Pride and
Hannah Corson
Dec 23, 2014 rated it liked it
See review about Hinds Feet on High Places. :)

Very similar book, but still super great for my soul. After reading both these books, I just FEEL better about life, ya know? Maybe nothings really changed, but somehow reading about some chick named Grace and Glory and her relatives struggling to trust the Shepherd and make decisions that seem illogical, yet makes sense at the same time. :sigh: Idk how to explain it except that it's encouraging. I am a person of faith, and reading stories about oth
Johnnie
May 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I am rereading this old classic for a book project my daughter, Rachelle Davis is writing. She is going to challenge women to take a week long challenge to strengthen body, mind, soul, and spirit. This is the book to strengthen your spirit and she asked me to write the "study guide." What a treat. This old book has been on my shelf (after I read the whole thing in one weekend) for over 20 years....and it came back alive today when I opened the first pages. I am using it as my "treat" for finishi ...more
Mar 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I really liked this book. Years ago I read 'Hind's Feet on High Places' and liked it too. I picked this up last year and had it in my purse for reading when I'm waiting in line at the doctor's office or post office or whatever. So it's taken me the better part of a year to read, but not because the book isn't interesting, simply because I didn't read it steadily.

The poems and songs in this book are beautiful. I found myself encouraged over and over to trust God, and reminded over and over I am c
Erin
Aug 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Loved this book. I did take a break from it for about a month b/c I wanted to be able to full concentrate on what she was writing. I loved the allegory of the fruits of the Spirit to the spices (mentioned in Song of Solomon) on the different mountains. And how our weaknesses in the flesh, like bitterness or anger, can be come strengths when we operate in the Spirit. I knew that but I just loved the truths Hurnard expressed in this book concerning all of that. And I couldn't wait to read about th ...more
Candice Barnes
Apr 21, 2016 rated it really liked it
I have read this a couple times. The first time, I found the narrative a little disjointed with the flipping between scenes in the valley of humiliation and scenes on the mountains of spices. However, this time through I found it really resonated with me, in the way I need to "come away" with the King every day, in order to "go out" into the world from that place of Love. It has stirred my heart afresh to share the Good News about God's Love with all I come into contact with.
Amy Litzelman
Jan 07, 2011 rated it it was amazing
As a continuation of "Hind's Feet on High Places," "Mountain of Spices" is an amazing allegory that takes the reader from the dismal hardships and difficult relationships of the valley up into the Mountains with the Beloved. Lessons of God's Kingdom are learned through each step, each trial, each gift and Suffering and Sorrow are transformed into Grace and Glory. I love Hannah's books because they speak Truth from a place of experience and love. This one is no different.
Marcie
Apr 05, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The obvious outcome of the love of God's word is obedience. Fruit of the Spirit is the product of an obedient life. It is living out of the new name He has given us. If we would frequently remind ourselves by renewing our minds daily in His word, our lives would overflow with lasting fruit that all would benefit from.
Jasmin
Jul 26, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
In this sequel to 'Hind's Feet on High Places', the Shepherd teaches Grace and Glory lessons bases on the fruit of the Spirit to enable her to live in freedom and to reach out to those in darkness around her.
This book was a timely re-read for me as it revealed some of my own heart attitudes and taught lessons to overcome.
Angela
Mar 11, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Loved Mountain of Spices

This book tells all of the things that make up who we are. It shows what we need to do to restore our bad feelings back to what God had intended us to be and to do to love and be his witnesses. He has always had only good for us. We just have to learn from him how to find the good and then we receive his love and reward.
Spring
Feb 05, 2008 rated it liked it
Not NEARLY as good as the first one (Hinds Feet), but still nice, and a continuation of the allegory. The Hinds Feet was a great story loaded with meaning. This one is full of meaning forced into a story. Know what I mean?
Anita Dix-McLaughlin
Dec 06, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Once you read one of this authors books, you will seek out more. Mountain of Spices brings back the much loved characters of "Hinds Feet on High Places," taking you further into this beautiful world.
Cheryl Zelenka
Nov 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Fans of Hinds Feet in High Places will really enjoy this book. Again, the wisdom of God is on every page of Ms. Hurnard's book, Mountains of Spices. Analogies will ring true to hearts and new understanding will not only comfort but instruct.
Diana
May 09, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved Hinds Feet on High Places, but mountain of spices spoke to me personally. It definitely is deep reading and truly makes you think. All of Hannah Hurnard's books have been that way to me. She has some awesome insights.
Stephanie
Jan 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
Read for the second time - speaks about developing the fruit of the Spirit as we go throughout our lives.
  • Tales of the Kingdom (Tales of the Kingdom, #1)
  • The Song
  • Sonnet to a Dead Contessa (Lady Trent Mystery #3)
  • Intimate Friendship with God: Through Understanding the Fear of the Lord
  • Kingdom's Hope (Kingdom, #2)
  • That Incredible Christian
  • The Search for the Twelve Apostles
  • Reimagining Church: Pursuing the Dream of Organic Christianity
  • Vanya: A true story of Ivan Moiseyev, persecuted for his faith
  • To Live Again
Hanna Hurnard was a twentieth century Christian author, best known for her allegory Hinds' Feet on High Places.
Hurnard was born in 1905 in Colchester, England to Quaker parents. She graduated from Ridgelands Bible College of Great Britain in 1926. In 1932 she became an independent missionary, moving to Haifa, Israel. Her work in Israel lasted 50 years, although she would later maintain a home in E

High Places (2 books)
  • Hinds' Feet on High Places
“There is absolutely no experience, however terrible, or heartbreaking, or unjust, or cruel, or evil, which you can meet in the course of your earthly life, that can harm you if you but let Me teach you how to accept it with joy; and to react to it triumphantly as I did myself, with love and forgiveness and with willingness to bear the results of wrong done by others. Every trial, every test, every difficulty and seemingly wrong experience through which you may have to pass, is only another opportunity granted to you of conquering an evil thing and bringing out of it something to the lasting praise and glory of God.” 16 likes
“The least temptation thou hast met. He knows thy blemishes and how To purge away the dross, Not overlong will he allow The anguish of thy cross. Love is the Judge, and he doth see The surest way to perfect thee. Thou can’st not perish if thou wilt But turn thee to the light, Love bleeds with thee in all thy guilt And waits to set thee right. Love means to save sin’s outcasts lost, And cares not at what awful cost.” 1 likes