Start by marking “Loch Ness Monsters and Raining Frogs: The World's Most Puzzling Mysteries Solved” as Want to Read:

FOOLED BY FABLES? LED ON BY LEGENDS? MYTH-GUIDED?
WONDER NO MORE, MYSTERY-PHILES: THE TRUTH IS IN HERE!

What in the world (or out of it) made those giant crop circles? Did skydiving skyjacker D. B. Cooper really get away with it? Is Bigfoot a big fake? Are ETs just BS? If you’re tired of scratching your head over persistent puzzlers like these, mystery-buster Albert Jack has
Published March 10th 2009 by Random House Trade Paperbacks (first published August 28th 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Loch Ness Monsters and Raining Frogs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Loch Ness Monsters and Raining Frogs

Start your review of Loch Ness Monsters and Raining Frogs: The World's Most Puzzling Mysteries Solved
KristenR
Jan 19, 2010 rated it it was ok
If you watch the History Channel with any regularity, don't bother with this book. The author's attempts at humor just come across as snarky and mean.
Abby
Jun 24, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
This was really interesting. I loved some of the theories he came up with for these mysteries from history, especially the one about the Loch Ness Monster. The writing was very witty and fun to read. I will definitely be keeping an eye out for more of this author's work.
Holden Attradies
I REALLY enjoyed reading this book. Enjoyed it so much I was able to blow through it way faster than normal. So why is it only a three star rating? Well, because as much as I enjoyed it the book had a lot of little flaws that brought the quality of the book down for me.

The first one was that not all the mysteries presented were solved. Each chapter was a different mystery, and about every third or fourth was only a page or two long (verses 5-20 pages) simply stating the mystery and the author p
Heidi The Reader
Mar 31, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, history
I think that the subtitle of this book "The World's Most Puzzling Mysteries Solved" is a bit misleading as he didn't "solve" a great deal of the mysteries presented in this book. However, I really enjoyed the content. From Marilyn Monroe to Nessie, Albert Jack approaches each phenomena with background information, little known facts, and his own personal, often hilarious, wit. I've read plenty of books by people who unquestioningly ascribe mysterious events to one cause or another without asking ...more
Lidia
Aug 30, 2018 rated it did not like it
The author's tone is excessively snarky and derisive and really put me off the book. Long, convoluted sentences make it difficult to understand what the author is trying to say. I picked up this book for the "Where is the Mona Lisa?" section. As that is not a mystery I had heard of before, I skipped straight to that section. While it was an interesting story, a quick google search proved that the main premise of the author is false. This made me skeptical of the other 'facts' presented while rea ...more
Lisa
Mar 04, 2018 rated it liked it
Kinda misleading. He does not really solve anything -he merely gives his opinion on a logical solution. And he doesn't even do that to all the puzzles. Still, this is a fairly interesting read with some information I didn't know prior. I would consider it a primer for those unfamiliar with some of these stories. You can digest the main details in a few pages and explore more on your own if interested.
Julianne
Mar 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Great bathroom reader. Very opinionated and nothing new here. But a good compilation of "true life mysteries". Though, Jack should have never put the word "solved" in the title, b/c for most of the stories he did no such thing.
Ameetha Widdershins
Summaries of famous and less famous mysteries, natural and supernatural. Despite the inconsistency of how various incidents are addressed- some include the author's opinion and others just state the available facts- it's a fun read.
Aric
Sep 14, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
When I was a child, I watched "In Search Of" hosted by Leonard Nimoy whenever it was on. An interest in the unexplained stayed with me as I grew older although my skepticism grew as well.
So, this book is a good fit for me. The author spends some time debunking a bit of the oddities and informs me of some I previously didn't know about. Time worth spent in my opinion.
Amy-Karen
Nov 13, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
Clever story telling - great way about narrating.
Amanda Witt
Dec 19, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Interesting read of what may have happened, with different scenarios posed for the mysteries.
Brian
Jun 26, 2019 rated it liked it
Good book, but a few stories didn't have explanations of what really happened or may have happened.
Sharon Falduto
One of those books that explains some mysteries and dangles new ones out there to ponder.
Paul De Belder
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: skeptic
A skeptical look at a number of "classics", by someone outside the skeptical movement. Not just classical skeptical themes, but also things like unexplained deaths and crimes. Fun to read, ideal on a long flight home.
Amanda (fableforager)
Mar 28, 2015 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
I picked up this book on a whim and out of an interest in some of the stories listed in the table of contents. Turns out I knew most of the information presented in this book from watching documentaries on TV.

At times the author's tone really grated on me. Particuarly when he was talking about Bigfoot and Crop Circles (if you believe in those, he really doesn't like you). Instead of being objective he let his bias cloud his judgement at times and used the chapters as a platform to bash believers
Alex
Nov 02, 2012 rated it liked it
A great book that does a fine job trying to get to the bottom of some famous legends and mysteries in a logical, realistic, and well thought out way.
Though the title may say "solved", Jack doesn't actually uncover exact answers for many of the subjects which should't be cause for criticism as the book is intended to be more an exercise in healthy skepticism. Furthermore leaving such subjects with an open door allows for further discussions and debate on whatever legend or mystery at hand is.
My
Aug 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Shelves: nonfiction
This book was recommended for the unit we do in 7th grade on the paranormal. I don't understand why it was recommended.

First off, the author is apparently British. The spelling and vocabulary differences are going to confuse my 7th graders.

Second off, the author is a snarky skeptic. He shows little respect for the stories he is reporting.

On the positive side, I could see re-writing a few of the stories for the unit with a few changes in spelling and diction. Students need to learn how to be skep
Maren Lundgren
Jan 24, 2011 rated it it was ok
My biggest beef with this book is the title-World's Most Puzzling Mysteries Solved? Really? This author went and solved these mysteries, huh? In half the chapters, he doesn't even give a theory to what he think happened. I picked it up to see how the author would go about backing up his fantastic title and the best part was even in the introduction he states that all of chapters are still unsolved mysteries. It was a quick read, and fun to get backround on some of the histories, but the style wa ...more
Sesana
Mar 24, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction, weird
Another book from the Weird Stuff genre. And, thank God, another one that's mostly skeptical. It's fairly well-written, and presents an interesting array of mysteries. There's a mix of paranormal and regular crime, everything from Loch Ness to D. B. Cooper. Some of them are indeed solved, and some are unsolved, and possibly unsolveable. Quick note on that regard: the original, British title is Albert Jack's Ten Minute Mysteries, so blame the American publishers and not the author for the claim o ...more
Andrew
Jun 02, 2013 rated it really liked it
The world does not need another compendium of the world's most mysterious mysteries. Perhaps realizing that, author Albert Jack does what very few authors even bother to try: solve the mysteries. With a healthy dose of skepticism and a great deal of fun, this book puts forward the most plausible explanations for the Bermuda Triangle, UFOs, the Mary Celeste, and a few dozen other things people have been wondering and writing sci-fi novels about. This is a great non-fiction book for mystery lovers ...more
Mar 30, 2009 rated it liked it
This books attempts to debunk some of the mystery surrounding things like UFO's, the Loch Ness monster, Bigfoot, and the like. The author describes the "story" of the unknown thing, then uses facts, observations, and common sense to come to a rational conclusion. Some of the stories were very engaging, but others left a little top be desired. I liked the book, but was irritated by the ones left unsolved.
Marjanne
May 20, 2009 rated it liked it
This actually turned out better than I expected. The author shared a good variety pf mysteries/urban legends. I liked that there were some that are still unsolved, some that are clearly resolved, and some that just use to logic to let the reader decide if it's still a mystery or not. The author was entertaining, the stories short and easy to read a little at a time, and I like the author's humor (a little sarcastic).
Caleb
Jul 13, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: non-fiction
This has a somewhat misleading title, as very few of the mysteries are solved, and many of Jack's solutions are simply his theories on likely solutions. His style is engaging and humorous, but a little too much so for my taste, as he comes across as a David Barry-like newspaper humor columnist at times. It's a decent survey of a lot of history's more notorious mysteries though, making a good starting point for a lot of different subjects.
Carrie
Aug 19, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Well, I could talk about what is in this book, but then I'd have to kill you, or maybe someone would have to kill me, either way, it's better if you read it yourself. Jack makes convincing arguments on several long-standing mysteries and introduces some new (to me anyway) mysteries that are going to pop back up and annoy me- I just know it- because they remain unsolved. I mean, who would steal a three-ton demolition ball? Really!
Keith
Apr 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
Kind of a buzz-kill, a little disappointing and, in my opinion, a bit mean-spirited in parts. And while some of the 'solved logic' makes sense, some of it was weak, eg "why don't they [aliens:] just land, shake hands and introduce themselves?" Well, probably because they're too busy producing Hulu ads.
Amanda Griggs
Sep 03, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: nonfiction
Jack's book is fairly entertaining, and many of the mysteries within will fascinate and maybe even motivate one to learn more about them. However, the title is incredibly misleading- Jack doesn't solve many of the mysteries, and some of his solutions feel condescending. Nevertheless, the true to life tales of mystery and intrigue are more than enough to grab the mind.
Calvin
Feb 24, 2012 added it
Shelves: supernatural
Did I agree with a good deal of his myth bunking? Yeah I did. But I seriously have to a ask myself what kind of person takes such joy in debunking lifes little mysteries to the point he clearly wants those who believe in them feel stupid about themselves.

A seriously unhappy killjoy Im guessing.
Melissa
Jul 20, 2017 rated it it was ok
This was a book I actually did enjoy reading. One problem for me was that the author left a few unsolved though he did mention possible theories to explain it. Most of the mysteries are well known and once popular so for many readers it is just another retelling of facts and theories. For those who still love strange mysteries this is a quick, fun read.
Melissa
Oct 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-in-2009
I enjoyed this book. For the most part, the essays were brief and somewhat informative. I did find that more often than not, mysteries were not solved. The title is misleading. I like his sprinkling of humor throughout, though.
Jenna
Jan 31, 2010 rated it really liked it
To call these mysteries solved is a bit of a stretch, but don't let that stop you from reading. The short essay-style chapters are a good way to pass a few minutes of waiting time, and are clever as well as informative.

• Screwjack: A Short Story
  • The Savage Tales of Solomon Kane
  • Hercule Poirot: The Complete Short Stories
  • The Really Hard Problem: Meaning in a Material World
  • Ctrl-Alt-Delete: An Antifascist Report On the Alternative Right
  • Change Your Underwear Twice a Week: Lessons from the Golden Age of Classroom Filmstrips
  • Beasts of Burden: Neighborhood Watch
  • Spook: Science Tackles the Afterlife
  • Seeing Like a State: How Certain Schemes to Improve the Human Condition Have Failed
  • The Works of His Hands: A Scientist's Journey from Atheism to Faith
  • Against the Grain: A Deep History of the Earliest States
  • The Body in the Woods (Point Last Seen, #1)
  • Psychopathia Sexualis: A Medico-Legal Study
Albert Jack, pen name for Graham Willmott, is an international best-selling author and historian. He is an expert in explaining the unexplained and has appeared on live television shows and has made thousands of radio appearances worldwide.

News & Interviews