Start by marking “Mudshark” as Want to Read:
Mudshark

Mudshark

Mudshark is the go-to guy for any mysteries that need solving. Lost your shoe? Can’t find your homework? Ask Mudshark. That is, until the Psychic Parrot takes up residence in the school library and threatens to overturn Mudshark’s position as the guy who knows all the answers. The word in school is that the parrot can out-think Mudshark. And right now, the school needs som ...more
Published May 12th 2009 by Wendy Lamb Books (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Mudshark, please sign up.
Ellie Yes, i do know what the story is about because i have read it

Juli
Lyle Williams, nicknamed Mudshark by his classmates, is the go-to guy at school for finding lost items and solving small mysteries. His mind is always working....his memory is amazing. He can remember where he saw lost items and solve almost any mystery or problem. Pretty good for a 12-year old, eh? But he finds himself with a feathered rival when the school librarian gets a parrot. The parrot seems to be psychic. It can answer kids' questions about lost homework and misplaced books faster than ...more
Angie
Jul 05, 2010 rated it liked it
Great writing. Just ... not much of a story. Does that make sense?

By great writing I mean like the following (page 18 and 19):
"There are many ways to describe Ms. Underdorf.
She was brilliant and joyous and she believed--probably correctly--that libraries contain the answers to all things, to everything, and that if you can't find the information you seek in the library, then such information probably does not exist in this or any parallel universe now or ever to be known.
She was thoughtful an
Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Sally Kruger aka "Readingjunky" for TeensReadToo.com

MUDSHARK is a great addition to any Gary Paulsen collection. It's not the HATCHET adventure type, but rather one of the crazy, mad-cap mishap stories like HOW ANGEL PETERSON GOT HIS NAME and LAWN BOY.

Mudshark is actually Lyle Williams. He got his name for his lightning speed and his incredible observation skills. These are skills he honed while keeping an eye on Kara, Sara, and Tara, his triplet sisters. When they became mobile, lif
Josiah
Aug 02, 2016 rated it did not like it
Over the years Gary Paulsen has created some memorable characters, and twelve-year-old Lyle Williams (known to friends and admirers as Mudshark) may join the ranks of his fan favorites. Mudshark is the epitome of Joe Cool, owner of a dazzling logical mind that never misses a trick when he's on the trail of a mystery or missing object in the vicinity of his school. He's the only member of his family never outwitted or overwhelmed by his younger triplet sisters, Kara, Sara, and Tara, who are freq ...more
Taylonbork
Sep 11, 2013 rated it really liked it
Kori Looker
Jan 11, 2013 rated it did not like it
Mudshark is one of the weirdest books I have ever read. If you like odd books, I recommend this book to you. The reading level is around the fourth grade level. Mudshark is about a fast-thinking go-to guy if anyone has questions or problems. Mudshark’s name is Lyle Williams but he’s known as Mudshark throughout the book. Well, Mudshark is a detective at his school and his enemy is the physic parrot who thinks he can outsmart Mudshark. Erasers go missing and Mudshark uses his skills to solve the ...more
Aaron Schroeder
Mar 20, 2013 rated it liked it
In the novel "Mudshark" by Gary Paulsen, the main character is the kind of kid who everybody comes to when they need something solved. Mudshark continues with this role until a psychic parrot comes into the school and starts making Mudshark look bad. He is then put to the test to prove to himself that he is better than the parrot. I recommend this book to all kids in middle school and older, because it is an easy and fun book to read.
Sherry
Nov 05, 2009 rated it liked it
3.5 stars. "Mudshark" is Paulsen's answer to "Harriet the Spy" meets "Joe Cool". I was a bit puzzled by the rogue parrot's intellectualization, but I liked the protagonist's comparative savvy. Each chapter begins with a broadcast from the principal's office, bellowing an update on several school happenings. The school's population is eccentric, but lovable. "Mudshark" was a fast read, and the characters' antics would be interesting to 9 to 11 year-olds.
Dan Tews
Nov 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
"Mudshark" is a great book for all kids at all reading levels because it is an easy and fast read. This book is a hard book to put down because once you start it you have to finish it. "Mudshark" is an easy book to follow and understand but at the same time makes you think. It also makes you put the pieces of the story together. The characters in "Mudshark" are mysterious and some are very funny. This book is a good book to just sit down and read on a rainy weekend.
Caitlintobin
Sep 17, 2016 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 5th-grade-plus
The characters were too oddball and random for me, so overall, I did not enjoy this book as much as other Gary Paulsen books. I think an upper elementary student would find this quick read humorous, but I thought the characters and events were either bizarre or boring.
Kathy
Nov 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Very funny. Kids will love this and teachers reading it aloud will laugh as well.
Victoria
Sep 28, 2010 rated it liked it
Good book. It's very hilarious and mysterious, but a bit to short for me. I think people who like stories that are short and funny, then this book is for Y-O-U!
Helen
Sep 27, 2014 rated it liked it
Would be better if has some more adventure instead of just mysteries.
Goshen PL Childrens
Sep 08, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a fun read! It really felt like something that you would read in a collection of short stories, only this was slightly longer than a typical short story. Regardless, it had a very similar plot structure to most short stories. It was a quick read with only a handful of characters, with only one or two really fleshed out characters. All good things to have in a short story. On top of that it was humorous. I loved the little anecdotes from the principal's announcements. I was constantly trying ...more
Lynne White
Feb 25, 2017 rated it liked it
2.5 stars. I was not impressed with this one. Aaron is currently reading this for his English class. I felt it was too young for 11 and 12 year olds. This is something 4th graders should read. Lyle, aka Mudshark finds lost items. His ways are being challenged by the school's new pet parrot. Erasers have gone missing, all of them, and Mudshark is assigned the task of locating them. This was a vacation-assigned read, so perhaps that's why it seemed out of place.
Evelyn
Aug 03, 2018 rated it really liked it
A Mom review: (read this to my 5 and 10 year olds)

Very different from Hatchet. I would compare this to Frindle. It is a 6th grade reading level but I believe it could be enjoyed by younger audiences as well. Very clean which is always a plus i think dang is the worst word used. They do talk a bit about crayfish reproduction with crayfish mommies and daddies, but it is very pg and would go over a younger kiddos head.
Karin Jenkins
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is a fun story. I love at the end that he involves others to help him instead of the typical "I have to do this myself and then find out I should have asked for help." My teenager also enjoyed this short read because of the cool, but humble main character. I would recommend this book for third and fourth grade, especially reluctant readers.
Rebekah Wampler
Nov 16, 2016 rated it liked it
My Book Club of students loved the book and all said they'd recommend it to a friend. For me, as an adult reader, it wasn't one of my top reads haha, but I would definitely use it again with another student group.
Emilee Dubois
Dec 04, 2018 rated it really liked it
4/5 stars
Mystery.
This book is very funny. The carefully spun story of the multiple mysteries at Mudshark's school kept me hooked.
Appropriate for grades 3-7
Susan Kosel
Jun 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
Clever.
Zachary
Sep 06, 2017 rated it liked it
mudshark was a good book.Its was a good mystery.
Kim Upchurch
Feb 10, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fun little mystery
Elizabeth Ricks
Jun 09, 2018 rated it did not like it
How on earth did this book ever get published?
Joshua Cox
Funny. But so bizarre. Funny ending.
Jeffery Worrell
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was ok
I think this book was ok but it was not my favorite.
Thomas
Sep 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This book is very good .It even has my name in it so that i enjoyed reading it.It's not liked this book then any other book i have ever read.
Mindy
Nov 22, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Read this with my 6th grade daughter. It’s a quick, easy-to-read book. Not a lot of action and a simple storyline. Just ok.
Cassie
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Short, sweet, utterly hilarious, and surprisingly challenging in terms of vocabulary. Gary Paulsen never disappoints!
Blake Mathews
Oct 19, 2017 rated it it was ok
It was an ok book I only read it cause I was bored.
Emily Casavan
Aug 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This is a short and cute kids book. The plot was just “ok” but the beginning chapters with the principles intercom announcements made the book. The announcements were hilarious.
  • The Uglified Ducky
  • Marvelous Mattie: How Margaret E. Knight Became an Inventor
  • Dexter the Tough
  • The Case of the Case of Mistaken Identity (Brixton Brothers, #1)
  • Return of the Homework Machine (The Homework Machine, #2)
  • Sparrow Girl
  • Down, Down, Down: A Journey to the Bottom of the Sea
  • Tap Dancing on the Roof: Sijo (Poems)
  • Calvin Coconut: Trouble Magnet
  • The Witch's Guide to Cooking with Children
  • Allergic to Camping, Hiking, and Other Natural Disasters (Alvin Ho, #2)
  • The Ghost, the White House and Me
  • Melonhead
  • My One Hundred Adventures (My One Hundred Adventures #1)
  • 14 Cows for America
  • EllRay Jakes Is Not a Chicken
  • My Dog May Be a Genius
  • The Hinky-Pink: An Old Tale
Although he was never a dedicated student, Paulsen developed a passion for reading at an early age. After a librarian gave him a book to read--along with his own library card--he was hooked. He began spending hours alone in the basement of his apartment building, reading one book after another.

Running away from home at the age of 14 and traveling with a carnival, Paulsen acquired a taste for adve
“She was brilliant and joyous and she believed- probably correctly- that libraries contain the answers to all things, to everything, and that if you can't find the information you seek in the library, then such information probably doesn't exist in this or any parallel universe now or ever to be known. She was thoughtful and kind and she always believed the best of everybody. She was, above all else, a master librarian and she knew where to find any book on any subject in the shortest possible time.

And she was wonderfully unhinged.”
47 likes