Start by marking “The Night Before Christmas” as Want to Read:
The Night Before Christmas

The Night Before Christmas

(Rabbit Ears)

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  100,397 ratings  ·  1,778 reviews
Please don't delete. This edition doesn't have an ISBN.
Hardcover, A Little Golden Book
Published 1980 by Western Publishing Company, Inc. (first published 1823)

karen
AND NOW IS THE TIME OF YEAR I FLOAT OLD CHRISTMAS REVIEWS TO COUNTDOWN TO BING BONG BING BONG!!

IT IS CHRISTMAS EVE!

i'm not sure if this is the correct edition to review. the one i have is also illustrated by arthur rackham ♥, but it has this cover:

which is much better than the one shown above.

i'm not sure how to review this, because it's just the night before christmas, but since i feel compelled to review all the books i read ever, i am just putting it out there that this is a wonderful christ
Mischenko
Jan 06, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is one of my most treasured Christmas books to read over the holiday season, particularly on Christmas Eve. I believe most people already know the classic poem “Twas the Night Before Christmas” by Clement C. Moore, and I just reviewed another vintage edition that we read every year, but this version is also grand. This picture book contains beautiful illustrations that are lifelike and enchanting. It's one to keep.

5*****
Pramod Nair
Dec 26, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
'Twas the night before Christmas, when all thro' the house
The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of sugar plums danc'd in their heads,

- The opening lines of 'Twas the Night Before Christmas.

'Twas the Night Before Christmas or A Visit from St. Nicholas, by Clement Clarke Moore is arguably one of the most popular Christmastide themed
Mischenko
Dec 10, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This book is featured on today's Shabby Sunday @ https://readrantrockandroll.com/2017/...

This is one of my most treasured Christmas books to read over the holiday season, particularly on Christmas Eve. I believe most people already know the classic poem “Twas the Night Before Christmas” by Clement C. Moore, and I couldn’t tell you how many different editions we have of this one, but what makes this edition so special to me are the classic vintage illustrations by Leonard Weisgard that take me ba
Arah-Lynda
Dec 24, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: ahhh-poetry
'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
...
While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads;
And mamma in her 'kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled down for a long winter's nap,
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from the bed to see what was the matter.
Away to
K.D. Absolutely
At what age did you stop believing in Santa Claus? Last Christmas, I still had to buy something for my daughter and wrote “From: Santa Claus” on the gift tag because she still believed in him. She was 16.

This morning while I was about to drop her at the gate of her school, she again borrowed the rosary hanging on the rearview mirror of my car. The rosary was a gift from my friend who attended the World Youth’s Day in Brazil this year so I am proud of it and taking care of it. The beads are made
Ahmed  Ejaz
It's a delightful poem for the Christmas. Poet depicted the scenes from night before Christmas to the arrival of Santa Clause. It's written in very easy way. Didn't want to read this but accidentally opened it and thought to read it.
David Schaafsma
Dec 24, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Every year, in some fashion, I read this aloud to the kids. What has sold more copies, in more versions? This is one of the old classic illustrated versions, more for me than the kids, in a way, though we had five versions of it around the house this time. Everybody likes it, though this year the now eleven year old mimes some of the action that I describe, lightly making fun of it. He has this idea Santa no longer exists!
Morris
Just looking at this book every year makes me cry happy tears of nostalgia. Every Christmas Eve my father would read it to me before we put out the milk and cookies. My copy is worn and torn but brought out every year. I think this speaks to the power of books to help make some of our most cherished memories.
I have read this story every Christmas Eve for as long as I can remember, it's always been part of our Christmas traditions and it will always have a special place in my part because of that.

I don't think there are many people out there that aren't familiar with this poem by Clement C. Moore that was originally published in 1823. Theres a reason it's a classic and that's because it captures the magic of Christmas. We've had many versions of the book over the years but the one we read from now is
Mariah Roze
This was a cute story that my students enjoyed. The illustrations were amazing! However, the vocabulary in the book was hard for my students to understand, so we had to have many discussions on what the book is saying.
Cyndi
Dec 11, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When my kids were little they memorized every other line of this poem. I would say a line and they would do their line till the last line that we would all say together. Since then it has become a tradition for every Christmas. So when Mr. H, my brilliant grandson, came along I set about teaching it to him. But, he decided to learn the whole poem. So at three he began entertaining us by reciting it. I LOVE traditions!! 😊🎄🎅🏻
Kathie Meyer
Jun 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: All ages
Shelves: winter-reading
This is a very biased review since I know the illustrator personally and was a model for one of the elves that appear in the book. My very special kitty, Larry, is pictured in the Christmas stocking at the end too. In fact, Watson used all real people to model for Santa, the elves and the family in the story, and he set the book in Port Townsend, Wash. where he lives. The clocktower is our actual courthouse in town.

Having said all of that...I think this is one of the most wonderfully illustrated
David Schaafsma
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read this aloud Christmas Eve to someone or someones:

Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.
The stockings were hung by the chimney with care,
In hopes that St Nicholas soon would be there.

The children were nestled all snug in their beds,
While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads.
And mamma in her ‘kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled our brains for a long winter’s nap.

I s
Noriko
Nov 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Short, yet cute, captivating story that depicts a surprising encounter with St. Nick on the night before Christmas.

This little picture book is full of fantastical, dreamy, enchanting vibes that makes me feel happy, warm and fuzzy inside.

This is definitely one of the books I revisit over and over on Christmas Day to enjoy the festive vibe and the feeling of left spellbound.

Chantal ❤️
We read this book as our Holiday tradition every Christmas Eve. It's one tradition that we have never overlooked.
A story for the young and the young at heart.
It wouldn't be Christmas without this.
Jon(athan) Nakapalau
Beautiful rendition of this timeless classic.
Kathryn
Darn it, I don't know how to post for different editions as this keeps coming up the same despite different illustrators. Here, then, are the three versions I've enjoyed this season with links so you can see them on Amazon.

ILLUSTRATED BY GYO FUJIKAWA
Fujikawa's illustrations are so adorable and delightful and child-like, in a way. I thoroughly enjoyed his vision into this holiday classic, though I would have liked more page breaks and more frequent illustrations to help the flow with the poem bet
Shirley Revill
It wouldn't be Christmas without this wonderful book at our house.
I used to read it to my children and now it's my grandchildren that love to listen to this story.
Pure nostalgia that really sets the scene for Christmas and I have noticed the adults listen too.
BookWormBlue22
Dec 17, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A timeless Christmas classic! Always a favorite during the holiday season!
Shirley Revill
A wonderful book with beautiful illustrations that inspire thoughts of Christmas.
I love this poem and my children and Grandchildren love it too.
It wouldn't be Christmas without reading this story to my grandchildren.
It's books like this that are part of the magic of Christmas.
Chris
I have to say that I like my illustrated physical book better because of the pics. Still, a wonderful poem to read at Christmas.
Trish
Dec 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Easily one of the most well-known poems about Christmas and always a delight to read. This was today's post of BookRiot's Literary Advent Calendar.
aPriL does feral sometimes
I want a flying reindeer!
Davyne DeSye
Dec 20, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the most iconic of all popular Christmas books -- and for a reason. This is the first book that named the eight reindeer, and was responsible for the popular "vision" of what Santa Claus looks like today!

This book sets forth a poem penned by Clement C. Moore -- a man known in his time for publishing his "Hebrew and English Lexicon" -- for his children one Christmas. I've read this so many times that I could recite it from memory, but I'd rather read this beautiful version which includes
Arlene
'Twas the Night before Christmas' is a beautiful holiday poem that was written by Dr. Clement C. Moore for his children as a Christmas present. It was reprinted many times over and wasn't what Moore thought would make him famous... but it did. It's been translated in many languages and continues to be recited to children all over the world.

Much to my chagrin, this is the first time I've read/heard this poem in its entirety, but I'll be sure to read it every holiday season moving forward. Beauti
Marjolein
Read all my reviews on http://urlphantomhive.booklikes.com

I must admit I'd never even heard of this sweet little poem until very recently. I also, first misread the title and thought it had something to do with The Nightmare Before Christmas. My bad, I know.

However, I found this poem very cute and it breathed Christmas feelings. I wish I'd known it earlier, because it really feel like a classic. It doesn't take a lot of time to read, so I would definitely recommend it!
Isa Lot
Dec 19, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Referente a la edición latina. Es precioso, es un cuento en forma de poema, que habla de un niño que se levanta la noche de navidad y ve a Papá Noel. Es realmente bonito. Habla exclusivamente de todo lo relacionado con Papá Noel, no es religioso, eso me gustó. Me parece un libro perfecto para leerle a los niños en navidad.
Wendy
Dec 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is the perfect time of year to read this Christmas classic. To be honest I don't ever remember reading this as an adult and it brought back some precious childhood memories. I think every adult should read it at least once.
Christopher Hicks
This is s fun classic children's book!! Love It!!!
recommendations 1 2 Nov 24, 2018 07:02PM
Upcoming Christmas Festivities in London 1 2 Oct 23, 2018 05:32AM
Goodreads Librari...: Every version of this book is combined! 2 21 Oct 17, 2018 10:52AM
http://www.healthdietalert.com/livana-lift/ 1 3 Jan 02, 2017 10:18PM
London christmas party 1 5 Sep 22, 2016 01:00AM
  • The Twelve Days of Christmas
  • The 12 Days of Christmas: A Pop-Up Celebration
  • The Christmas Magic
  • Merry Christmas, Big Hungry Bear!
  • The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey
  • The Little Drummer Boy
  • The Year of the Perfect Christmas Tree: An Appalachian Story
  • Snowmen at Christmas
  • A Pirate's Night Before Christmas
Clement Clarke Moore, (July 15, 1779 – July 10, 1863), is best known as the credited author of A Visit From St. Nicholas (more commonly known today as Twas the Night Before Christmas).

Clement C. Moore was more famous in his own day as a professor of Oriental and Greek literature at Columbia College (now Columbia University) and at General Theological Seminary, who compiled a two volume Hebrew dict

Rabbit Ears (1 - 10 of 43 books)
  • Annie Oakley (Rabbit Ears)
  • Brer Rabbit and Boss Lion (Rabbit Ears)
  • The Story of Brer Rabbit and the Wonderful Tar Baby (Rabbit Ears)
  • Davy Crockett (Rabbit Ears)
  • Mose the Fireman (Rabbit Ears)
  • Pecos Bill (Rabbit Ears)
  • Princess Scargo and the Birthday Pumpkin (Rabbit Ears)
  • Stormalong (Rabbit Ears)
  • Aladdin and the Enchanted Lamp (Rabbit Ears)
  • The Bremen Town Musicians (Rabbit Ears)
“Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house Not a creature was stirring, not even a mouse.” 383 likes
“Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
In hopes that St. Nicholas soon would be there;
The children were nestled all snug in their beds;
While visions of sugar-plums danced in their heads;
And mamma in her 'kerchief, and I in my cap,
Had just settled our brains for a long winter's nap,
When out on the lawn there arose such a clatter,
I sprang from my bed to see what was the matter.
Away to the window I flew like a flash,
Tore open the shutters and threw up the sash.
The moon on the breast of the new-fallen snow,
Gave a lustre of midday to objects below,
When what to my wondering eyes did appear,
But a miniature sleigh and eight tiny rein-deer,
With a little old driver so lively and quick,
I knew in a moment he must be St. Nick.
More rapid than eagles his coursers they came,
And he whistled, and shouted, and called them by name:
"Now, Dasher! now, Dancer! now Prancer and Vixen!
On, Comet! on, Cupid! on, Donder and Blixen!
To the top of the porch! to the top of the wall!
Now dash away! dash away! dash away all!"
As leaves that before the wild hurricane fly,
When they meet with an obstacle, mount to the sky;
So up to the housetop the coursers they flew
With the sleigh full of toys, and St. Nicholas too—
And then, in a twinkling, I heard on the roof
The prancing and pawing of each little hoof.
As I drew in my head, and was turning around,
Down the chimney St. Nicholas came with a bound.
He was dressed all in fur, from his head to his foot,
And his clothes were all tarnished with ashes and soot;
A bundle of toys he had flung on his back,
And he looked like a pedler just opening his pack.
His eyes—how they twinkled! his dimples, how merry!
His cheeks were like roses, his nose like a cherry!
His droll little mouth was drawn up like a bow,
And the beard on his chin was as white as the snow;
The stump of a pipe he held tight in his teeth,
And the smoke, it encircled his head like a wreath;
He had a broad face and a little round belly
That shook when he laughed, like a bowl full of jelly.
He was chubby and plump, a right jolly old elf,
And I laughed when I saw him, in spite of myself;
A wink of his eye and a twist of his head
Soon gave me to know I had nothing to dread;
He spoke not a word, but went straight to his work,
And filled all the stockings; then turned with a jerk,
And laying his finger aside of his nose,
And giving a nod, up the chimney he rose;
He sprang to his sleigh, to his team gave a whistle,
And away they all flew like the down of a thistle.
But I heard him exclaim, ere he drove out of sight—
“Happy Christmas to all, and to all a good night!”
54 likes