Start by marking “Josephine” as Want to Read:
Josephine

Josephine

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  897 Ratings  ·  40 Reviews
Josephine Best has it all figured out. Just seventeen, she's been to college, she has her own hairdressing shop and she refuses to be distracted from her goals. At least until handsome George Brooks begins to pursue her. Jojo isn't looking for romance, but she permits George to call on her.

Adam Morgan has always been a Casanova, and no girl is immune to his charm. But when
Published February 1st 2009 by Harlequin Kimani (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Josephine, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Josephine

Annelisa
Dec 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This story picks up five years after "Belle and the Beau" left off, but you don't need to read that one to understand this one (although I highly recommend it). The setting is the tail end of the Civil War. Josephine Best is a headstrong, different 17-year-old girl, who doesn't fit into the conventional roles of women at the time. She's been to college, has her own hair shop which she dreams of expanding, and doesn't want to be one of those girls who are swooning over men, trying to catch thems ...more
Zoe and the Edge
Josephine Best is a sensible working girl. She's not ready for marriage and she loves her hairdressing business. She doesn't want to be confined to the old-fashioned box of women's roles.
Her father and older brother Daniel are away fighting the Civil War.

Adam Morgan is a great hero. He and Josephine are so adorable with the most perfect banter. Five years ago, he was best friends with Josephine's brother and practically adopted into the family. Adam and Josephine have always been like siblings
Coumbis
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Josephine by Beverly Jenkins is an excellent book that tells the story of Josephine Best an owner of a salon. The story is told by first person narrator who wants to be an independent woman.

Josephine Best is the main character. She graduated from Oberlin College. She owns her own hair salon. Josephine is unlike other girls at her age who are thinking about marrying now. All she wants is to be an independent woman. As other women are telling her why don’t you get marry your best friend Trudy alr
Rebecca
Feb 28, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Josephine Best is seventeen years old, and she has a different plan for her life than most young women her age in 1864. Raised in a progressive free black family that ran a station on the Underground Railroad, Josephine has been encouraged since she was a child to follow her dreams, even if they were not traditional ones for a girl to have. Josephine has attended the Women's Program at Oberlin College and now runs her own hairdressing shop in her hometown. Most of the girls her age are thinking ...more
Rebecca
Apr 01, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Michelle Onuorah
My Original Amazon review on November 9, 2003 (I was 12-years-old):
"i love this book. i originally checked it out at the library after weeks of anticipation. i read it in one day! a few weeks later i bought it! its that good!"

I stand by the content of my review, although I probably would edit my grammar and punctuation at 22. A lovely book that was very well written - so much so that I still enjoy reading it every now and then as an adult. I highly recommend it.
Madison Foss
Jul 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I absolutly Love this Book!!!! I reread it 5 times in 3 days!!!!
Cayla
Sep 03, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: book-reviews
College has been keeping me on my toes recently, but I always managed to fit in my reading time! So I finished a couple days ago Josephine and the Soldier. I did enjoy the book, but unfortunately it did not give me such an impact that I have enough to write a full book review, so this is going to be a mini review!

I really loved Josephine. She was a business woman who was so focused on trying to find a man to take care of her. Then when she is courted by two very different men, Josephine had to r
Ashley W
I’ve read the prequel to this, Belle , before so the characters were all familiar to me and it was fun to the see the annoying 12 year old Jojo grow into the headstrong and independent 17 year old she becomes in this novel. The novel picks up five years after the ending of Belle and the Civil War is on its last leg. Josephine is left with her mother and sister-in-law Belle as the important men in her life, her brother, father, and Belle’s father, have gone to fight for the Union. As the war rag ...more
Brittany
Another fun addition and a great way to see how things turned out after the first book's happily ever after. Things are a little bit looser and less stressful in this book, despite all of the main male characters fighting for their lives off at war. Instead, this book focuses on Josephine, Dani's no-so-little-anymore sister and her thriving hair salon business and the love triangle that inevitably pops up in these books.

I love the message these books send, that women can be independent and will
Nellie
Jun 22, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I really loved this one. The wounded returning soldier finds a beautiful woman, only to find out he didn't recognize that she is the "pest" little sister of his best friend, and she is all grown up!
She can't deny her feelings for him, but he has always been a flirt, so she doesn't trust him not to break her heart.

Very clean story. Great for teen girls. Fun, entertaining, and kept me drawn in. I enjoyed this one much more than Belle and the Beau. I enjoyed the focus on building the relationship,
Diane
Jul 12, 2011 rated it it was ok
Not to sound like a broken record, but I got THIS book because of that blasted romance "Belle" I had read. This one dealt with another character in that book and, hey, it is summer and I am on vacation and another mindless lite romance was right up my alley. Again, it was good but not something I would recommend spending a bunch of cash on.

I should also add that these two appealed to me because of the historical fiction (civil war era) slant.
Sarah Elizabeth
Sep 09, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Definitely one of the better Avon True Romances (not that a single one of them was ever bad at all). This one is a little longer, but the characters a fleshed out a bit more. If you have never read an Avon True Romance, don't be ashamed whatever your age. If you're dying for an adorable romance story that involves no situation that is going to make you uncomfortable to read, this whole series is for you. And this is wonderful (and super adorable) place to begin.
Cris-anne Stewart
Apr 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book expressed more than just a african-american girl who is tryingto make it while her and her mom are at home waiting for her father and brother to make a call somewhere saying there okay because they are in the army.It also has a little love story between her and a injured soldier. This book really is amazing.
Tqwana
Apr 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
Very sweet, quick read. Not as much history as the previous book, which is mostly why I gave this a 4, not a 5. Very heavy on the love story. I think I wanted more info on the war. I love the consistency of the Jo as a character; you still saw that spunk little girl, in this almost adult woman. I love what she represents for independent women, even back then.
Chelsea
Jun 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
this was phenominal i want to read more about these charecters although to my knoledge there is no more to read. i look forward to reading more from this author howaever. the stories are captivating and the charecters well rounded and intresting. a wounderful leasure read.
Kelly
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Great story, also published in the Avon True Romance series as 'Josephine and the Soldier'. You can get this edition on nook/kindle....it was pure luck that i stumbled upon it on my nook. Confusing why it was republished under a different title!
May 08, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is one really adorable story, adorable but still sober, given the backdrop of the Civil War. Definitely a great light read for a teenage girl. The chemistry between Jo and Adam doesn't come through really nicely in the writing, but eh.
Cierra Buckles
this a very good book. it is the sequel to Belle.
Bebe20018
Jun 22, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Another very good YA black historical fiction romance. Love it just like Belle.
Colleen Foster
I truly loved this book
Rachel
Apr 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
This was a beautiful story by Mrs. Jenkins. Josephine is one of those characters that makes the story line wonderful!!! This was a quick read and a must read!!
Tomiko Mosby
Jun 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
Kelly
Jul 15, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
great book in the Avon true romance series! you can get this book as an ebook under the title of JOSEPHINE, same book, different title.
Jonyca Lowery
i loved this book but i felt like the ending could have been better.
Classic74
Jan 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Great read for young adults.
Courtney
This one was just okay. It was a good story, but there were parts of it that frustrated me, too.
Cori Ilardi
Mar 03, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A cute period read. Not my favorite from the Avon True Romance collection but still a cute addition to the collection.
Trudy
Mar 12, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Enjoyable. Sweet. A "Calgon Take Me Away" read.
Emyrose8
Feb 24, 2014 rated it really liked it
4.5
  • Gwyneth and the Thief
  • Amelia and the Outlaw
  • Emily and the Scot (The MacLaughlins, #2)
  • Catherine and the Pirate
  • Miranda and the Warrior
  • Tess And The Highlander (MacPherson Clan, #6)
  • Autobiography of Malcolm X as told to Alex Haley, The  (MAXNotes Literature Guides)
  • Masked by Moonlight
  • Tall, Dark...Westmoreland! (Jeffries #1, The Westmorelands #15)
  • Aya de Yopougon, Tome 6 (Aya, #6)
  • Redemption Song
  • My Brother's Keeper
  • Still Changing Lives Everyday: Tuesdays With Morrie 10th Anniversary Foreword
  • Diary of an Ugly Duckling
  • Tailspin (Uniformly Hot!, #19)
  • Klee Wyck
199260
<.Beverly Jenkins is the recipient of the 2017 Romance Writers of America Nora Roberts Lifetime Achievement Award, as well as the 2016 Romantic Times Reviewers’ Choice Award for historical romance. She has been nominated for the NAACP Image Award in Literature and was featured both in the documentary “Love Between the Covers” and on CBS Sunday Morning. Since the publication of Night Song in 199 ...more
More about Beverly Jenkins...