Start by marking “360 Degrees Longitude: One Family's Journey Around the World” as Want to Read:
360 Degrees Longitude: One Family's Journey Around the World

360 Degrees Longitude: One Family's Journey Around the World

Much more than a travel narrative 360 Degrees Longitude: One Family’s Journey Around the World is a glimpse at what it means to be a “global citizen”—a progressively changing view of the world as seen through the eyes of an American family of four.

After more than a decade of planning, John Higham and his wife September bid their high-tech jobs and suburban lives good-bye,
Published July 1st 2009 by Alyson Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about 360 Degrees Longitude, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 360 Degrees Longitude

Jamie
Mar 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Although it took me 3 months to trek my way through this book, it proved one of the best and most inspiring works I have ever read. I must admit, I was more than one time made supremely jealous of this amazing experience, vested on the kids particularly by their loving and incredibly future-minded parents. Instead of buying the children Wiis and movies, they bought them invaluable experiences on a scale only rarely achieved. I spent 5 months living abroad and have been wanting to return ever sin ...more
Jamie (The Perpetual Page-Turner)
One thing you should probably know about me before I proceed with my review. I suffer from wanderlust, the travel bug, or whatever name you feel compelled to call it. If I could explore the world for the rest of my life, I'd be a happy camper. That being said, you can imagine how giddy I was when this book showed up in my mailbox. I immediately got the goosebumps like I do before I travel caused by that feeling of exploring the unknown and the thrill that there may be an adventure in your immedi ...more
Savannah Grace
Jan 07, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this family travel memoir! I must admit I even stalled to prevent the inevitable end. Naturally, as the youngest member of a world traveling family myself, this was a very interesting story. I could relate in so many ways, especially Jordan’s Epiloge about going back home.
Throughout this wonderful true story, I caught myself laughing out loud and saying things like, “Oh my gosh!!” “Oh no!!” and “That’s so true!” Loved the chapter about the elephant, could visualize the bridges
Connie  Kuntz
Mar 22, 2010 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: My friends and family who love to travel. Sylvia, Carolyn and my Mom, in particular...
Recommended to Connie by: Goodreads
This is a gutsy story of a family of four that takes a year off to travel around the world. Parents David and September carefully planned the trip over the span of ten years to make sure everything could be as organized, efficient and cost-effective as possible. They brought two tandem bikes with them so they could experience naturally and independently the countries they visited. They also were smart enough to arrange that their friends mail them new books at different destinations throughout t ...more
Lori
May 17, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a great little story of a family of four who takes a year off from their 'real lives' to travel the world. As I began to read this story, I was a little frustrated - maybe because I was trying to get something out of the book that I wasn't getting. Then, as I continued to read, I became more appreciative for the writing and the way the story is told. Upon completing the book, I got the most out of my reflections of the story as a whole. I am grateful to the writer for not overdoing the ...more
Jackiew
Apr 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely love this book. It's about a couple who had a dream that they would quit their jobs and take their two kids around the world (mostly on tandem bikes). It is very well written and I have laughed many times throughout the book reading about their adventures. I love that the couple (and their kids) decided to go see the world and teach each other about different cultures. It also has passages throughout the book where you can go on Googlearth and check out where they went. I did not do ...more
Sep 28, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
I'm not sure to give this a three or a two star rating. There were some funny moments, but I found a lot of it was just we did this and then we did that. The writing was a bit clunky in parts. I couldn't also help but notice the American centric viewpoint at times. Still, I had to admire the parents for travelling with their children for a year and experiencing all the trials and tribulations on their journey.
Jane Tara
Jul 23, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I’ve just finished reading 360 Degrees Longitude: One Family’s Journey Around the World, about the Higham family’s one-year travel journey.

There was a brief moment at the start of the book where I didn’t think I was going to enjoy it. John Higham, his wife, September, and their two kids, Katrina (11) and Jordan (8) had been planning and saving for this trip for years. The family of four started out on tandem bikes: one parent on front, one kid peddling behind. And while I absolutely admired them
Emily
Aug 18, 2010 rated it really liked it
This was an honest and witty memoir of one family's yearlong adventure around the world. I appreciate this book because I can relate on some level, since we are also a Mormon family living in the Bay Area. I like to think of myself as adventurous but this was a whole different level. While I plan to travel much more than I am currently able to - and with the kids even! - the only way I can really figure out how to afford it is to live abroad. This definitely made me think about exactly HOW I wan ...more
Feb 05, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: travel, non-fiction
Considering how much I love traveling, I thought this book would be a run-away hit for me, but it was pretty middle of the road. Higham writes about taking his family of four on a year-long trip around the world. However, a lot of the book is really about odd bits of minutia and really seems to skim over or miss the really interesting parts of traveling.

He made several clichéd statements about the “learning experience” in traveling that made me roll my eyes. Such as this statement about poverty
Jenna
Sep 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is my "Great Book" pick of the year, and I have decided that it will be my gift of choice to friends and family this holiday season. I found it an easy, witty and fascinating read as I journeyed with the Higham family around the world. 360 Degrees was easy to pick up and hard to put down, and I feel like I have seen peoples and countries in the world with new eyes. Frequent outbursts of laughter kept me awake reading long after I should have turned out the lights, and even my 8-year old dau ...more
Mar 03, 2010 rated it it was amazing
what a fun read! I felt like I was there with the Highams as they chronicled their adventures all over the world. They sound like great people to hang out with :) It was enriching to learn about other culture tidbits and to see how the family dealt with various situations. John cracks me up with his thinking and how he appreciates his wife many times in different situations :) The kids have great attitudes and it was also fun to see how the humans all over the world can be alike yet different.

I
Denicemarcell
Jun 04, 2011 rated it it was amazing
This title was on one of the goodreads ads so i followed the link. Very glad i did, love this book. They've been to places i've been as well as places i'm considering and places i am *so* not going. Haven't done the google links yet will check them out before i return the book to the library. it is more of a library book than an own book to me; the checklists and helpful hints might change my mind.
The website and the google links mean i don't have to own this book. I just did a bit of exploring
Rafael
Dec 25, 2017 rated it it was amazing
The story of this family is simply amazing. Having traveled for a year with my family not long ago I connected with many feelings and perceptions they had, especially relating to other cultures and people.
Interesting the way they start their trip comparing Americans to the other cultures, and by the end, they compare new experiences and local habits to things they lived and saw during their trip. They became global citizens.
By the way, excellent book to plan a trip around the world!
Michele
Jan 02, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I LOVE this book. I felt like I was on the trip with the family. There was just enough funny, and just enough introspection. I was so sad to be going home when I got to the end. The best thing, though, is it's a book. I can travel around the world again, just by opening the front cover.

Cannot recommend enough, especially if it is a dream of yours to travel around the world.
Amy Koons
Jul 15, 2016 rated it it was amazing
The only thing bad about this book is that it had to end. Not just a travel story but a family-togetherness, weathering-hardships for adventure story. It's funny and interesting and so great. I was sad the journey had to come to an end.
Holly
Jul 27, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was very well written and I found I could not put it down. I was fascinated to find out how a family of four travelled around the world, and the end of the book provides a lot of useful information. I loved the humor in the writing as well.
Amy
Apr 28, 2011 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book!!!!! It's about a family who traveled around the world in 1 year with their 2 children. Loved reading about their experiences and learning about places and customs. It made me want to book my trip, too! If you are at all interested in travel, check this out! Well-written!
Jamie
Apr 06, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I thoroughly loved this book! I was even laughing out loud at times. This book makes Andy and I want to travel with the kids even more. There is so much in life to be learned be seeing how other people live. An added bonus is the quality family time.
Tori
Mar 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Absolutely loved this book. It was a quick read, but I learned a lot about the world. The only problem with this book is that it made me want to travel!!
Anita
Jun 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel
what an amazing journey and well-written book! loved it. i suspected they were LDS, although they never quite said so in the book--my uncle confirmed that he knows them and they are.
Catherine
May 19, 2010 rated it it was amazing
LOVED this book!
Gina
Jun 17, 2010 rated it it was amazing
My hero! Great book!
Diana
Oct 12, 2015 rated it really liked it
"Things may be done differently here, but who's to say which is better?"
Feb 14, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book! Great travel writing - made me want to get to these places myself.
Sep 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is a fun book about travel and family. John Higham, his wife, September, and their two kids, Katrina (11) and Jordan (8) travel together for one-year on a trip around the world! They plan and prepare for years and then take off for Iceland and beyond hoping to learn together about the world and life. They do a lot of planning beforehand, but are flexible and change plans as needed. They plan to start out biking from England to Turkey - a broken leg cuts a lot of that plan short, but they ke ...more
Heather Arnold
Jul 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a cool family that embarked on an adventure of a lifetime. Interesting stories combined with just the right amount of facts and history and travel wisdom!
Kristian
Jun 21, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun, descriptive, inspiring. I loved reading about how this family pulled together to get through difficulties, all the things that they learned and experienced along the way, and how wonderful and safe the world is on the whole.
Rebecca
Jul 22, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: travel
I love books about families that travel around the world. And while Americans are the least travelled people I know, it's always them who take their entire families on the road and then write about it later. Now is it that they take their families on the road more then most or are they the ones who just always have to cash in on a book later? I wonder. Anyway, I saw this book at Borders a few weeks ago and found it only at the LAPL system. It sat for 3 weeks and then when I couldn't renew it, I ...more
Jessica
Aug 09, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Jessica by: Goodreads
Shelves: first-reads, 2010, own-it
I won this book as a GoodReads FirstRead giveaway. I sat on it for a while, as I had other books in the queue, but once I started reading this book, I was completely drawn in. It details the World-the-Round trip embarked upon by the Higham family - an amazing feat for a family of four, with two children, ages 8 and 11.

This book, their trip, was incredible. I thoroughly enjoyed reading about their adventures and felt like I got to know their family a little.
While reading it, I started to plan w
A Journey around the World. 3 18 Jan 06, 2013 01:00PM
  • One Year Off: Leaving It All Behind for a Round-the-World Journey with Our Children
  • The New Global Student: Skip the SAT, Save Thousands on Tuition, and Get a Truly International Education
  • Off the Tourist Trail: 1,000 Unexpected Travel Alternatives
  • Nothing to Declare: Memoirs of a Woman Traveling Alone
  • The Spice Necklace: A Food-Lover's Caribbean Adventure
  • 100 Places Every Woman Should Go
  • First Comes Love, then Comes Malaria: How a Peace Corps Poster Boy Won My Heart and a Third World Adventure Changed My Life
  • Unforgettable Places to See Before You Die
  • All Over the Map
  • Make the Most of Your Time on Earth
  • A Trip to the Beach: Living on Island Time in the Caribbean
  • A Woman Alone: Travel Tales from Around the Globe
  • Beyond the Sky and the Earth: A Journey Into Bhutan
  • Pink Boots and a Machete: My Journey from NFL Cheerleader to National Geographic Explorer
  • Three Ways to Capsize a Boat: An Optimist Afloat
  • To Hellholes and Back: Bribes, Lies, and the Art of Extreme Tourism
  • Journeys of a Lifetime: 500 of the World's Greatest Trips
  • The Good Girl's Guide to Getting Lost: A Memoir of Three Continents, Two Friends, and One Unexpected Adventure
After completing his graduate degree in aerospace engineering, John Higham moved to the San Francisco Bay Area where he started his career and accumulated ten U.S. patents for various aspects of satellite design. Although he arrived in the Bay Area single, it wasn't long before he met September and they became inseparable. John, September, and their two children, Katrina and Jordan, still live in ...more
“fter nearly four months of being on the road, nothing seemed to faze them. This is a really annoying quality; you want to be miserable, but those around you refuse to yield their sunny dispositions.” 0 likes
“September was not deterred. “This is too cool!” she exclaimed. “How often do you get to go to a riot before church? Stand up straight,” she said quietly to the kids, “look confident and just act like you know what you’re doing.” She lifted up the police tape, dragged the kids under it, and started marching them across the overpass.

I couldn’t believe it. Well, actually I could. September’s mother had spent a day in jail a few years earlier for crossing a police line when she tried to drive down her own street, which had been blocked for a parade. I hadn’t known that a defective gene could cause one to disregard a police line. “You can’t do this!” I protested, trailing along. “You want to get pepper sprayed?”
0 likes