Start by marking “Of Two Minds (Minds, #1)” as Want to Read:
Of Two Minds (Minds, #1)

Of Two Minds

(Minds #1)

The complex plot follows the adventures of Lenora, a headstrong princess with the power to make anything she imagines real, and Coren, the shy prince chosen by her parents to be her husband. Trapped in a strange land and stripped of their powers (Coren had been able to read the thoughts not only of humans, but also of animals and objects), the two must work together to ove ...more
Published February 1st 1997 by Blizzard Publishing (first published October 1st 1995)

To ask other readers questions about Of Two Minds, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Of Two Minds

Start your review of Of Two Minds (Minds, #1)
Lady Knight
Jun 25, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: teen, fantasy
I originally read this book when I was ten years old and loved it. Re-reading it now, I find that the book hasn't lost any of its pleasure. Sure there are parts that seem a little simplistic now, but overall still a great read.

Lenora is a princess, but not just an plain old boring one! No, she has the ability to make whatever she imagines come true. Actually everyone from her country can. So when she hears that her betrothed can do that, she thinks he's a little handicapped. Coren can hear every
Emily
Feb 23, 2015 rated it did not like it
Shelves: trc2015
I read this in middle school and loved it, but sadly it doesn't hold up to nostalgia. The writing is choppy and full of anachronistic phrases (Princess Lenora once thinks "blah blah blah," for example) and the characters are boring and predictable. Even though the characters show some growth in the end, it's more like a sudden light bulb going off than a gradual development, and even then it doesn't seem enough to justify their sudden change of heart about each other.

The fantasy adventure part
Joan
Dec 02, 2017 rated it it was ok
Half-baked world, pretty dull characters. The plot was ambitious but not enough effort was put into the delivery for it to actually be good.
Inknose
Feb 24, 2009 rated it really liked it
I read this book so long ago. It made the hugest impression on me but for years I could never remember the title! It stuck with me so much that I would remember random sentences or scenes from it even after all that time... it drove me crazy not being able to remember what book they were from.

Obviously I can't remember much about this book, except that it was beyond strange and that it must have captured my imagination in a huge way. I'll have to re-read it!
Phoenyx
Mar 19, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fantasy
I remember reading this book and enjoying it as a teenager. Years later I discovered there were sequels, so I picked up the first book again since I didn't remember much.

Adult me didn't enjoy it as much, and I don't think I would have made it through the book had I not already read it once before.

Lenora and Coren are both hard to like. Rather than being fully realized characters, they mainly seem to be the embodiment of two opposite traits, Lenora is Recklessness, Coren is Overly Cautious.

None
Laura-Louise Elliott
Jan 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
I recently found this book in my parent's attic and it brought back a wave of nostalgia. I loved this book as a kid and was curious to see how it held up over the years. I was pleased to find it did, and with some surprisingly progressive ideas to boot!
The story is a fantasy, but it doesn't mind blending into other genres as well, throwing in a little sci fi just to keep it interesting. It keeps the reader on their toes, reminding them that this story, rooted so wholly in the power of imaginatio
Diane
Jun 10, 2017 rated it liked it
Princess Lenora and Prince Coren are arranged to be married. Prince Coren's people can read minds; Princess Lenora's people can create anything by imagining it - although her people have agreed not to use their powers. Lenora is stronger than most and she feels herself being summoned by a stranger who knows her powers should be put to use. But who is this stranger really?

Lenora and Coren's relationship is humorous.
Amy McFadden
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it
The action parts of this book where riveting and well written, but the bits of romance and excessive descriptions of fashion felt forced & artificial, as if someone said, “wait, girls like romance and fashion, throw some of that in.” Overall, a unique story built on an intriguing premise. ...more
Stormie Carroll
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
It was different than I remembered but a really good read.
Sierra Walker
May 07, 2020 rated it liked it
I thought this book was a little odd at first but when you get used to how crazy, to say the least, that the plot starts out as it gets better.
Kathleen
May 15, 2020 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Not quite what I expected, but quite delightful nonetheless! I liked Lenora's flights of fancy, and Coren's solidity was a comforting contrast.
Denauli
Jun 06, 2020 rated it it was ok
Lenora was pretty much an unbearable brat throughout the book, but I must say the ending was very good. A good book for someone who likes easy to read imaginative books.
Rachel
This book was okay, not great. I think they needed to put more of the villain in there, and that the entire first half of the story didn't make much sense.
Then again, neither did parts of the second half. (Fairies and trolls? Really? Why? Just...why? No plot importance. No significance. They get about half a scene.)
Lenora got on my nerves. She's supposed to be a strong heroine, but she comes across as bossy, self-centered, and way too used to getting her way. I liked Coren, but he comes across
Michelle
Apr 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
Two minds was one of my most favorite books as a "tween". It's a very unique read for the Young(er) Adult genre when it comes to theme. The story has a little bit of everything fantasy related thrown in to the mix, from "fairyfolk", giants, doppelgangers, mind reading even a type of psychokinesis and of course a dire end-of-the-world scenario.
I've kept this book in a box with all my Fear Streets and Vampire Chronicles for 16 years before a review piqued my interest to reread it(nostalgia also
Tamara
Apr 10, 2009 rated it did not like it
Shelves: mg
I wanted to convince myself to even kind of like this book. I fully expect it that it's one of those things that you adore if you first read it as a twelve-year-old. I certainly would have wanted to be Lenora, because she has spunk and I was not that far from average twelve-year-old bookworm and therefore loved spunk, with extra magical powers on the side. But reading it as an adult the first time, I felt that the prose is somewhere between bland and boring, the characters are one-dimensional (y ...more
Hannah
Apr 10, 2010 rated it really liked it
Princess Lenora has the ability to make whatever she imagines real like everyone else in the country of Gepeth. The problem is that all the Gepethians wont use their power because of a promise made long ago. Lenora’s parents have been fed up with her and decide to marry her off to the Prince of Andilla (Coren) who has the power to read peoples thoughts. In an attempt to escape the Marriage she discovers that Coren escapes with her into a world she has created where a tyrant rules. Coren and Leno ...more
Kirsten
Apr 20, 2012 rated it it was ok
Rating: 3 stars

Recommended for: Children to young teens who enjoy fantasy and adventure.

I must admit, I was, at first, intrigued by this short little novel after reading the blurb on the back cover. I though it was an interesting and fascinating twist on the whole mind-reading-ability to have everyone else hear your thoughts, too. How would that be? I wondered. Would you be picking up on someone’s thoughts, only to have all your replies and responses broadcast to that person, or the whole room
Nicole (Reading Books With Coffee)
Elise
Jul 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Princess Lenora, the main character, hates her world because she believes it is too boring, so she changes it every once and a while, to make it more exciting. She has the power to make anything she imagines real, but her parents forbid her to use her gift.

Prince Coren thinks his world too exciting, and only wishes his mind to be at peace. He has the power of reading anything's/anyone's mind around him. His people can read his mind as well, so he is never at peace.

To even everything out, a weddi
Ryne
Jan 07, 2016 rated it liked it
This is one of the first major fantasy novels I remember reading myself. I recall being entranced with the cover and proud to own it (I think I bought it at a book fair). It's not perfectly written, as many other reviewers have pointed out, but it's still a great, fun read. (It's also leaps and bounds above its sequel, More Minds, which in turn is leaps and bounds above all of the rest of the books in the series that I tried reading before I gave up on it--I think I read books 3 and 4 as well? A ...more
Stephanie Kerr
Prince Coren can read minds. Princess Lenora can make anything she imagines become real. Their parents want them to get married, but Lenora has other plans. She runs away to another world, accidentally taking Coren with her. Now they are stuck together until they find a way home.

Of Two Minds was an enjoyable book. I was a bit confused at the beginning, but I loved the end. Lenora got on my nerves at times with her superior attitude. I adored Coren.
Colleen Garrison
Dec 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
It was very difficult to get into. I didn't care about the characters. They were both rather weak, pathetic and whiny. But then, as I forced myself to finally get to the half-way point, I couldn't put it down. It seems that the early character profiles were necessary to emphasizes the grand change and adventure that they would undergo. Likewise, our own trials and boredom may one day give way to fantastic heights and unbelievable miracles, if we just act and trust in one another.
Jayme Swallow
Dec 03, 2012 rated it really liked it
Carol Matas and Perry Nodelman's Of Two Minds and More Minds, the sequel, are about Princess Lenora and her betrothed, Coren, while Lenora's stubbornness takes them on an adventure. I read these, and liked them better, when I was younger, but they're still a fun quick read with a good moral. These are best for upper elementary/middle school readers both in level and demographic. Happy reading!

Amanda
Dec 03, 2013 rated it liked it
I've recently remembered this book, and I'm curious enough to want to read it again. I read it at least three or four times when I was in elementary/middle school and loved it. I don't remember why, exactly, but I do remember that I checked it out of the library frequently. I still remember where it was shelved (on one of those revolving wire shelves). It's one of the books that got me interested in fantasy.
GruelCarp
Jun 14, 2015 rated it liked it
I remembered this book a few weeks ago and decided to re-read it. Upon seeing the reviews, I got super angry and was determined to prove everyone wrong.

Unfortunately, they're correct. It's fun as a kid, but it doesn't stand the test of time. Kids are old enough when they read this that they don't need to enlist the help of an adult, which is good, because it's not impressive to the older crowd.
Autumn Thomas
Jul 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing
When I first started reading this book, I did not know if I would enjoy it. However, it has quickly became one of my favorites. There seems to be a new twist on every page. I will definitely be reading the rest of this series. I would have this book in my future classroom, because it talks about the importance of love and friendship. It also has a very powerful message that teaches the reader to never take anything for granted and to always be thankful for what they have.
Seth
Aug 20, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: young adult
I read this book on a recommendation from my girlfriend, who is quite enamored with young adult fiction. While this book had some imaginative and clever ideas in it, I could not ignore the very juvenile style of writing. I think most kids that like fantasy novels would enjoy this light-hearted "metaphysical" style of book though.
Chelsea
Two wacky teenage royals, forced by their parents into an engagement, and, oh, they can read each other's minds. Kind of. Throw in an alternate universe or two, two completely different styles of magic resulting in two completely different ways of life, and a big bad, and it's a fun, slightly out-there read for middle readers who like historical fantasy.
Gorfo
Nov 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy
The title of this book is taken from a Shakespearean sonnet "Let us not to the marriage of two minds...". I didn't realize this until afterwards and I can't say that I read the boom because of the Shakespearean connection. Nope I just read it cause it was there. The book turned out to be a weird sci-fi historical fiction romance thing that somehow worked for this book!
Dana
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2011, re-read
I read this book first when I was in 6th grade, and loved it. I lost the book over time, but I kept thinking about it. Finally, now, at age 24, I had help finding it. I was just as excited about it as I read it, but by the end I was a little bored -- but knew that, as a 6th grader, I hadn't been. I think I will go on to re-read the next books in the series. :)
« previous 1 3 next »

• The Silver Kiss
  • Orpheus Girl
  • Into the Land of the Unicorns (The Unicorn Chronicles, #1)
  • Summers at Castle Auburn
  • Talking to Dragons (Enchanted Forest Chronicles, #4)
  • Looking for Me
  • Untitled (Six of Crows, #3)
  • Teach Me
  • Time Enough for Drums
  • The Cabinet of Curiosities: 36 Tales Brief
  • The Orphan Queen (The Orphan Queen, #1)
  • The Death of Vivek Oji
  • The Perilous Gard
  • Being Jazz: My Life as a (Transgender) Teen
  • In Between the Sheets
  • The Hiding Game
  • The Secret of the Unicorn Queen, Vol. 1: Swept Away and Sun Blind (The Secret of the Unicorn Queen, #1-2)
  • A Gift of Magic

Minds (4 books)
  • More Minds (Minds, #2)
  • Out of Their Minds (Minds, #3)
  • A Meeting of Minds (Minds, #4)