Start by marking “7 Rules of Power: Surprising--but True--Advice on How to Get Things Done and Advance Your Career” as Want to Read:

If you want to "change lives, change organizations, change the world," the Stanford business school’s motto, you need power.

Is power the last dirty secret or the secret to success? Both. While power carries some negative connotations, power is a tool that can be used for good or evil. Don’t blame the tool for how some people used it.

If fully understood and harnessed effec
Kindle Edition
Published June 7th 2022

To ask other readers questions about 7 Rules of Power, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about 7 Rules of Power

Start your review of 7 Rules of Power: Surprising--but True--Advice on How to Get Things Done and Advance Your Career
Reading_ Tamishly
May 12, 2022 rated it it was amazing
This is such a good, practical self-help book!

If you love books by Vex King, Robin Sharma and Dale Carnegie definitely give this book a try because it will be so worth it.

A new favourite author I say!

This book has seven short chapters which will give you different practical tips on how you can get things done, make practical choices to advance on whatever you are working for.

A good book for those who need a little push to get up and actually start doing some basic steps that would push you towa
Dora Okeyo
Jun 04, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
The author shares 7 rules and they are:
1) Get out of your own way.
2) Break the rules.
3) Show up in powerful fashion.
4) Create a powerful brand.
5) Network relentlessly.
6) Use your power.
7) Understand that once you have acquired power, what you did to get it will be forgiven, forgotten, or both.

Now, if there is anything to read on how to get things done at work, while ensuring that your objectives are aligned with your professional growth then these rules are something to bear in mind.
I liked how
Jessica
Jun 22, 2022 rated it it was amazing
The 7 Rules of Power is a great book harness untapped potential. I enjoyed learning the rules of Power and learning that I already use some of them and how to improve my use of them. I feel like some self-improvement books talk and boast but do not give you the actionable steps this book was not the case. I felt I was given the knowledge and tools needed to apply these rules to my life without the extra fluff some books add in. I was hooked on this audiobook immediately and binge listened to thi ...more
Roy Van Den Brande
Jun 29, 2022 rated it really liked it
Just like the 42 laws of power, it just feels wrong. I do believe it works. But it's basically: be an overconfident asshole and don't show vulnerability. At least not while on your way to the top, once there you can do whatever you want. I use such literature more as a map to recognize and navigate office politics than a manual for professional conduct. But that probably means I'll bump into a lot of obstacles to reach my ambitions. ...more
Mindy
May 29, 2022 rated it liked it
This was a a good motivational and self help audiobook. It had practical lessons and short chapters to really focus in on what the author was teaching. I did learn some, although; some of it were things I already knew about. I appreciated his insight. It was good, but I am not for sure if I would recommend to others. I feel there are better motivational books out there.
3/5⭐️ I do appreciate the ARC #Netgalley. All opinions are my own.
X-Ray
Jun 24, 2022 rated it it was amazing
Easy to understand but hard to implement
John Nugent
Jul 03, 2022 rated it really liked it
I might not „like“ or agree with all that is written here, but it is refreshing to read something that focusses on how things actually are, rather than how it would be nice for them to be.
Eleanor Berger
Grace Lee
Jun 02, 2022

• Don't Get Close
  • The Love of my Life
  • Speak: Find Your Voice, Trust Your Gut, and Get from Where You Are to Where You Want to Be
  • The New Neighbor
  • Answers in the Pages
  • Make Me Disappear
  • The Hotel Nantucket
  • Conscious Business: How to Build Value Through Values
  • Family of Liars
  • Finding Hope in the Darkness of Grief: Spiritual Insights Expressed Through Art, Poetry and Prose
  • The Secret of Wilhelm Storitz: The First English Translation of Verne's Original Manuscript
  • Ageism Unmasked: Exploring Age Bias and How to End It
  • Law of Attraction Manifestation Journal: A Guided Journal for Manifesting Your Deepest Desires
  • Building a Second Brain
  • The Ex-Husband
  • Please Like Me (But Keep Away)
  • Big Shot
  • Searching for Coach Taylor
Jeffrey Pfeffer is the Thomas D. Dee II Professor of Organizational Behavior at the Graduate School of Business, Stanford University where he has taught since 1979. He is the author or co-author of thirteen books including The Human Equation: Building Profits by Putting People First; Managing with Power; The Knowing-Doing Gap: How Smart Companies Turn Knowledge Into Action; Hidden Value: How Great ...more

News & Interviews