Start by marking “Jonas (Beautiful Dead, #1)” as Want to Read:
Jonas (Beautiful Dead, #1)

Jonas

(Beautiful Dead #1)

Something strange is happening in Ellerton High. Phoenix is the fourth teenager to die within a year. His street fight stabbing follows the deaths of Jonas, Summer and Arizona in equally strange and sudden circumstances. Rumours of ghosts and strange happenings rip through the small community as it comes to terms with shock and loss.

Marina, Phoenix's grief-stricken girlfr
Published April 2nd 2009 by Hodder Children's Books (first published 2009)

To ask other readers questions about Jonas, please sign up.

Rebecca
This book irked me for many reasons... (Listed in the order that they annoyed me as I read it)

Firstly, the names! How many people do you know with names like Phoenix, Arizona, Darina and HUNTER (esp as he would have been named aaages ago... not exactly a realistic name)? Now, does practically everyone you know have kinda kooky names like that? Probably not! It's fine to have odd names for your SIMs or whatever, but not in books!!!!

Secondly, all the Twilight copying..... I
Kim
Mar 30, 2010 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Rach Arthur
Sep 04, 2009 rated it it was ok
"I miss you so much. It hurts so much. More than an ache- a sharp pain, like a knife in my heart."

"And now I'm holding you, I can see your blue eyes, feel your soft lips."

My god. I can't believe there's actually a book MORE dramatic than Twilight out there.
Kristen
I have to be very honest about this book. I didn't like it. The beginning confused the snot out of me. In the opening scene, Darina is in the middle of nowhere looking at an old decrepit house. No clue why she's there, but her boyfriend Pheonix just died two days ago and low and behold he is there, with 3 other dead kids and a guy described as "An older guy, with grey hair". And to be honest, the descriptions of characters does not progress - at all. One of the girls is described as "fair-haired ...more
Olivia
It was the plot (and the cover, to be honest) that made me pick up this book. I was hoping for an epic story of love, angels and horror. But unfortunately, I didn't get that. I really love the idea for this series, and it could have been really good! But it wasn't.

All the characters were boring. Flat. It feels like the author was like "Okay, so I've got this good idea. But damn it, I can't write a book without characters!" The were all kind of predictable and without any personalitie
Kristine
Nov 15, 2011 rated it did not like it
I am trying to think of one redeemable thing about this book and I find myself coming up short. At some point in the third chapter I decided to take notes on the things I disliked about the book, but there were so many that it was taking too long for me to read the book and I just wanted to be done with it. There are so many things wrong with this book; the characters were un-relatable, the situations were unbelievable, the setting was just stupid. Just about every sentence I came across somethi ...more
John
May 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Title: Beautiful Dead

Author: Eden Maguire

Publisher: Sourcebooks Fire

This book made me completely and utterly stumped as to how to rate it. I had seen it in stores, and loved the premise and cover, but never picked it up. When I got offered an ARC from teensreadtoo, I jumped on the chance. And I still can't figure it out. On one hand, it wasn't amazing, and has first-novel-in-series syndrome, on the other...it was fun and slightly dark and cool to read.

Eden Ma
Rems
May 15, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: just-books, youth
I think I really, really, really wanted to like this book when I picked it up. The premise looked good. The cover looked good, dark and mysterious. But it just didn't quite cut it. I've been fumbling with the idea of giving this three stars or more, or less, but I think it's three. I did enjoy it - not as much as I wanted to - and some parts of it irked me off unbelievably. But it gave me suspense when I needed it, some of the romance orientated stuff finally cut out of being corny and sounded believa ...more
Connie
Feb 14, 2014 rated it really liked it
Source: I own this book
Cost: It was a gift

Title: Jonas
Series: The Beautiful Dead #1
Author: Eden Maguire
Overall Rating: 3.9

Darina has lost everything, her one true love died. Stabbed to death in a gang fight. And now as she wonders aimlessly in the Alpines near her house, she comes across an old farmhouse with her dead boyfriend Phoenix inside, along with three other dead kids and she truly believes she has gone insane. But if there’s a chance that Pho/>/>/>/>
Amelia
DNFing at page 128. I have a to-read list as long as my lifetime and I'm not wasting another moment on this melodramatic teenage eternal love crap (or the heroine who is amazed by that incredibly long and complex word "intermittent" - in other words, she's a moron; or the hero with his lame superpowers - he can talk to a "buddy" a whole mile away. Heaven forbid they have mobile phones and a more interesting power). I find it extremely hard to believe that the author has a PhD in English Literatu ...more
Siobhan
Oct 11, 2014 rated it liked it
The concept of the book made it an enjoyable quick read. It was something different compared to what the usual teenage books are offering up (in the sense that this is not a vampire love story). However, I found the main character to be somewhat of a cliché: almost as though the usual love-struck teenage girl from the vampire stories had been thrown into something different.

Nevertheless, the idea itself is great if you’re looking for a quick read. Plus the way it is set out leaves yo
Sharon Mariampillai
Actual Rating: 4.05

This book was a great read. I thought the story was good and the characters were awesome. The story did tend to make me bored at times, but the ending made the book worth the read. I thought that the premise to be unique and different. Definitely recommend to fans of the YA genre. It is great, but there could have been improvements to the story to make it amazing. Can't wait to read the next book! Arizona...here I come.
Lör K.
Darina, Phoenix's grief-stricken girlfriend, is on the verge. She can't escape her intense heartache, or the impossible apparitions of those that are meant to be de
Dark Faerie Tales
Mar 08, 2010 rated it liked it
Quick & Dirty: A good first entry to what promises to be an interesting paranormal series.

Opening Sentence: The first thing I heard was a door banging in the wind.

The Review:

First Jonas, then Summer, followed by Arizona, and now Phoenix is the fourth student from Ellerton High to die within a year. Darina, Phoenix’s girlfriend is caught in the grip of grief’s talons and having a hard time dealing with his death. Then Phoenix appears with the sound of beati
Feb 02, 2012 rated it liked it
Davina is 17, and has recently lost the love of her life Phoenix in a fight which ending in him being stabbed and bleeding to death. She's struggling to come to terms with it, but Phoenix is not the first teen to have died in her year. Over the past 12 months Jonas has died in a bike crash, Arizona has drowned, and Summer has been shot.

Walking in the woods one day Davina comes across a barn, and inside are four people she recognises - Phoenix, Jonas, Arizona, and Summer. All are pale
Darkfallen
Dec 14, 2010 rated it it was ok
So I will try to keep this short and sweet.

Darina's boyfriend Pheonix gets stabbed in a fight. He was trying to defend his brother, Brandon, and lost his life for it. No one knows who exactly was responsible for his death. This wasn't the only tragedy in this town however. Over the last year 4 teenager's have lost their lives in various "accidents". While the town morns the loss of these teenagers things begin to happen. Darina sick over losing Pheonix, can't eat or sleep, and now sh
Ellz Readz
Feb 16, 2010 rated it really liked it
My thoughts... BLINK. This book was very easy to read and I literally devoured it. When I first saw the cover, I thought "looks very cool". Then I read I heard the word zombies and thought, UGG, but forged ahead anyway. Let me just say that I am so glad I did.

The plot of the story was very unique. Darina found her recently deceased boyfriend alive and well, surrounded by his undead classmates. No vampires, zombies, but not it the theatrical sense. The book held something for everyone, mystery,
GateGypsy
Jun 01, 2009 rated it it was ok
I'm less forgiving than some reviewers. I wanted so desperately to like this book. There are elements of it that I really appreciated (the fact that Darina was capable of standing up for herself, the fact that she knew how to say "no.") I also really appreciated that her relationship with Phoenix, although physical, was not all about sex, and that he was interested in her well-being and an attentive boyfriend.

A few things would have improved this book. One of them would have been com
Jan 31, 2012 rated it did not like it
I tried to read the first "Beautiful Dead" book by Eden Maguire, but failed. I felt like I was reading a piece of work by one of my year 9 students! The pacing was off and the characters seemed predictable... perhaps it gets better as you get into it, but that's hardly a commendation.

I dislike giving bad reviews as I appreciate the time and effort it takes to write a book. However, even as a confessed lover of YA lit, this book was just too juvenile in its approach...at least for me.

Plenty of
Kirsty
Jun 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: ukya, uk-author
i enjoyed this book on the whole as it was a new take on the gendre. I did have a few complaints however. The main character is a wimp and not all that likeable. When reading it, it feels like a section should be on the front to introduce her - which would probably make me like her more. I also didn't like the outcome and though the morals of the story were somewhat odd and not really appropriate for the age group the book is intended for.
Alexandra
Dec 14, 2010 rated it did not like it
This book was awful. Truly awful. No description of the characters. They were so flat and two dimensional. Almost like ideas of characters. I didn't connect with or feel a thing for any of them. It was a cheesy, predictable, horrible story. I'm trying to think of one redeeming quality about it and I can't.
Jodie
Apr 23, 2012 rated it did not like it
Shelves: unfinished, 2012
Wow, I had to stop at 118 pages, this was a really bad book. I think it would have been better if
All the characters had normal names
The book started before phoenix was murded
Less like a twilight rip off
Less whiny main character
And had somthing unique to it.
Veronika
Jun 18, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: my-books
4 stars

Quite a good story where I didnt really know what to expect.
The characters were fine, storyline interesting and the main idea interesting, what I was a bit confused by is the ending with the re-watching - why didnt they do it sooner??
Otherwise it was ok :)
Mallory
Oct 20, 2010 rated it did not like it
Basically.... don't read it, it's not worth your time!
Maryam
Nov 04, 2009 added it
Gripping, addictive and amazing. itz just soo cool
Astra
Sep 05, 2012 rated it did not like it
this book is the crap on top of the poo pile. DO NOT READ unless you like dumb characters and utterly unrealistic diologue.
Leannear24
Jun 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
wow
its quite good
i could not put it down
i need to know what happens to everyone else
Heather
Oct 02, 2009 rated it liked it
good i really liked this book i just cant wait till the next book and hope it is just is as exciting
After-Dahlia
Jun 03, 2018 rated it liked it
Okay this book seemed very interesting, and it wasn't super bad like I somwehat thought when reading the reviews here. With that said, it wasn't amazing either, sadly. Some parts were just really weird, like the starting scene. I think I re-read it around three times before I understood what was happening. However, that wasn't what made it bad. It was how... weird it was written, some parts just didn't make any sense what so ever.
Plus the ending was so anti-climax I barely want to talk about it
Fuglsang
Jun 10, 2012 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: People who don't mind awesome being wasted
I don't do lying. If something is good, I promise I'm going to tell y'all. I acknowledged that Hush, Hush had tolerable prose and did sexual tension well. In this case I'll admit the idea is bloody brilliant. If this story had been handled differently... ye gaaads! It would have been incredibly awesome. It could've been potent and deep and relevant. A perfect book combining crime, romance and the paranormal. A brilliant tale of love and loss and moving on and… gawrsh, I get all tingly just think ...more
What's the Name o...: Teens who have died [s] 5 57 Sep 11, 2012 02:37AM
TeenReads: Beautiful Dead #1 Jonas by Eden Maguire Book Review 1 5 Sep 02, 2011 10:50AM
The Beatiful Dead Series 5 19 Aug 31, 2011 06:49AM

• My So Called Death (Dead High, #1)
  • The Hunt (Dark Touch, #2)
  • Daemon Eyes (Daemons, Inc., #1 & #2)
  • Moondance of Stonewylde (Stonewylde, #2)
  • Walk of the Spirits (Walk, #1)
  • I Kissed a Zombie, and I Liked It
  • The Julian Game
  • Solace and Grief (The Rare, #1)
  • Possessions (Possessions, #1)
  • UnGuarded
  • Betrayal (Empty Coffin, #2)
  • Guarding the Vampire's Ghost (Green's Hill, #3)
  • Forget-Her-Nots
  • Book of Love (Knight Angels, #1)
  • Queen of Secrets
  • Life Eternal (Dead Beautiful, #2)
  • The Turning: What Curiosity Kills
  • Beautiful Beings (Beautiful Beings, #1)
Eden Maguire graduated from Birmingham University with a PhD in English Lit and now lives in the Yorkshire Dales with her two daughters, her horse, Merlin, plus a dog and a cat.

She spends part of each year at a ranch in Colorado, where she rides alone in the mountains – her idea of perfect happiness.

Whenever she can, she loves to indulge her passion for travel and take in the world's major citie

Beautiful Dead (4 books)
  • Arizona (Beautiful Dead, #2)
  • Summer (Beautiful Dead, #3)
  • Phoenix (Beautiful Dead, #4)
“I sat on the barn floor wishing that the storm would gather me up and hurl me against the mountains, smashing me into a thousand pieces.” 4 likes