Start by marking “Blood Trail” as Want to Read:
Blood Trail

Blood Trail

After his best friend is murdered, seventeen-year-old Booger realizes he is the only one who has any idea who might have committed the crime; but he doesn't tell anyone. This novel explores the darker side of sibling rivalry.

For Ages 12 and up

An ALA Quick Pick for Reluctant Readers
An IRA Young Adults' Choice Book
A VOYA Top Shelf Fiction Book
A Missouri Gateway Readers Award
Published April 1st 2003 by Holiday House (first published 2003)

To ask other readers questions about Blood Trail, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Blood Trail

Sally
Aug 11, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: mystery
Blood Trail describes the events of a murder, but it isn’t your typical murder mystery. It goes through the psychology of the town and how the close-knit residents react. It is very short (I read it in less than half an hour) and moves fairly quickly. I enjoyed the book, but once I reached the end, I felt like the book stopped in the middle. I suppose this is how real life works, but for a book, I would like there to be a bit more feeling of having resolved the issue.
Sean S
Oct 22, 2017 rated it really liked it
Reading blood trails was very suspenseful and fast pace and that's what made this book really good, the book is pretty much the thought of a kid going through so much at once and can't let loose all of his feelings.

I really enjoyed the book because it kicked off fast and I didn't have a problem reading it. The storyline also is very strong and mixed into one great book. There are some slow parts but they are interesting to read overall the book was pretty good especially the ending.
Jeff
Apr 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book is very interesting. It is like a horror book. The blood trail is about a best friend of a boy who was murdered. He thinks he knows who did the crime but he keeps it to himself. I recommend this book to people who likes mystery books.
Katie
Feb 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 6th-grade-books
This book was amazing! It was very suspencful, I didn't want to put it down. It has a very suprizing ending so if you like books that are mysteries and have OMG moments,then this is the book for you. I know that this was the book for me because I love mysterie books and ghost stories like this but this was not a ghost story.
Gwen
Feb 21, 2009 rated it liked it
Great book for some who doesn't like to read. Short and suspenseful.
Brian
Nov 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Alma
Mar 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Mary
May 21, 2018 rated it really liked it
Shelves: ya-books, horror
Quite a bit of profanity and the ending was a bit vague, but as you all can see by my rating this book was still very good! Intriguing, mysterious, and just the right amount of creepy.
Jax
Apr 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Hands down one of my favorite books of all time. Its suspenseful and page turning I could not put it down until I read the entire thing! Definitely recommend it if you like horror/mysteries!
Janette
I picked this book up thinking it was a mystery. It isn't (despite what the cover says). It's really a book about how a boy is changed when his best friend, Aaron, is murdered.

It's a very moving book in that way. I really felt for the main character, Jeremy, and the whole time I read the book I kept thinking how horrible it is that some people actually have to go through this experience.

What made it worse for everyone involved was that it was clear from the get-go that one of Aaron's family memb
Katherine Gingrich
Jan 23, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: 16-books
Blood Trail is about the best friend of a boy who was murdered in a small town. Before he dies he askes his best friend Jeremy to call when he gets home because he is scared of his twin brother, Nathan. He eventually can't take it anymore and tells the police what he was told. In response there is a storm of vandalism on his house, thretening phone calls, and people calling him a traitor because Nathan was the prime suspect in the murder.
This book brings to light how one act can have so many con
Moira
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was ok
This book's cover and synopsis gave out an expectation for the story that was the opposite of what it turned out to be. (If that makes sense.) It was stated that Blood Trail was a mystery about a teenage boy investigating is best friend's death, but more than that it was really about his coping with the tragedy. From the beginning of the book you know exactly who it was that had killed Aaron's friend, and most of the book is dedicated to Aaron getting over the death.
Still, with the misleading sy
Keith
Feb 08, 2017 rated it liked it
YA. Murder. Fiction. Grief. Mystery and detective stories. A great read for reluctant male readers, as it deals also with football.
Diane
Dec 23, 2016 rated it liked it
Jeremy and Aaron, 17, have been inseparable since second grade. Now, Aaron has been brutally murdered. In a small town like Pinto River, this seems unimaginable and the rumors fly. Who would do such a thing? Small towns are supposed to be safe from psycho serial killers, aren't they? But Jeremy knows something that no one else does: Aaron told him that he was afraid of his twin brother, Nathan. Now Jeremy doesn't know what to do. Could Nathan have done this to his brother? Should Jeremy tell the ...more
Margaret Pinard
Jul 10, 2014 rated it it was ok
Shelves: young-adult
I read this to see if I could get any pointers for technique of a mystery for middle reader/ YA level readers, especially since I loved this author's book Boy on a Black Horse. But the ending left me hanging, the story seemed very short and jumped gaps of time where nothing interesting must have been happening... not my favorite. More of a YA novel about dealing with grief than one about a murder, as it *spoiler* is never brought to a resolution.
Rene
Jan 09, 2009 rated it liked it
A boy's best friend is murdered and now he must decide whether or not to reveal what he knows about who it might be. This book has the crime very close to the front of the book and the reader spends a lot of time dwelling on it. I thought the emotions of the main character were real but that the story (conclusion?) wasn't as sharply in focus as it could have been. Truly tragic idea of a story but not executed very well. I give it a C.
Maddie
Sep 09, 2012 rated it really liked it
I think this book is most appropriate for 5th graders and up. It does contain some gross references since its a book about murder. This book shares a story about mystery and suspense. There were scenes in this book where I was very grossed out, so therefor I do not recommend this book for people who are easily discussed and not ready for horror. I recommend this book to people like me who like mystery, suspense, and some horror.
Segen W
Nov 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
I give this book a 3 star rating because the cover makes you think that this book is a mystery but it isn't. I wished this book was longer and more descriptive. I honestly didn't like this book. I wouldn't recommend this book because it gets you disappointed. In the middle of the book it kind of gets interesting but then it starts getting really boring at the end.
Caitlyn Shields
Sep 06, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: mystery
This book is about a boy whos best friend is murdered. Before he was murdered he told his friend that he was scared to go home. His friend is hiding something though, something that might reveal the killer. It was a good book with a lot of suspense. It was a good book, but not one dying over. It isnt a definite read. More like a quick read that is enjoyable.
Karla
Aug 21, 2008 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: Teens
Shelves: teens
Booger enjoys life as an athlete in a small coal town with his best buddy Aaron until Aaron is brutally murdered. All leads point to Aaron's bookish brother Nathan. By sharing what he knows with the police, Booger manages to incur the wrath of most of his neighbors--especially Aaron's parents. I was hoping for more action, and the story was left largely unresolved.
Bporter
Feb 26, 2012 rated it did not like it
This book was so random and depressing I found myself needing some sunshine when I finished it. This is NOT a mystery. More a book about coping with devastating situations. And the language is pretty foul. Poor Booger: why in the world would he keep that nickname?!
Delafieldlib
Feb 20, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: teen-mysteries
TEEN FIC SPR

Jeremy and Aaron have been best friens sicne second grade. On one of their many afternoons togetehr, Aaron confesses that he has become afraid of this twin brother nathon later that day, Aaron is found dead. Was nathan the murderer? It is up to Jeremy to find out.
Yara
Oct 09, 2007 rated it it was amazing
The Blood Trail By Nancy Spencer is a book that will make you think. Its about a friend that trys to find out who killed his best friend. Things Start changing when he starts quetioning his best friends twin brother... Didn't you know that jealousy kills....
Cole
Oct 26, 2012 rated it really liked it
I liked the mystery part of this book and trying to figure out if Aaron's brother really killed Aaron.

I didn't like the ending though because it left you hanging, and you never found out if the brother really killed Aaron. i would give this book 4 stars.
Steven
Apr 13, 2010 rated it liked it
This title was a quick read and hooked me in pretty good. I thought the story was very attention grabbing but I felt the end needed something else. It's not a bad ending but could have been a little longer I think.
Susannah
Dec 30, 2008 rated it did not like it
I thought this book was retarded. It is really boring because nothing happens. I listened to about half of it, and then skipped to the end to see if maybe there was a cool twist or something, but nothing. Plus the writing isn't very good and all the characters have stupid names.
casey
May 01, 2007 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: everyone
this was a really good murder mystery. If u like mysteries then you need to read this. It is about a little boy who his best friend get murder in his own house.The friend of the little boy that got killed thinks he knows who killed his friend but doesn't want to get in trouble.
Natalie
May 11, 2011 rated it it was ok
It started out with great potential, but the book is so short and doesn't resolve very well at the end. I think it would have been better if the book was longer.
alexandra
Jan 27, 2014 rated it it was ok
This book had a strong narrative voice and I had high hopes for it. Unfortunately, the ending was so disappointing I could not recommend it to a student.
Laurie Dickerson
Mar 13, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: Everyone
I really enjoyed this story. I thought it was a mystery triller, and really gets you thinking.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 next »
Bad book 2 9 Apr 17, 2019 03:37PM
  • Crandalls' Castle
  • Whispers in the Graveyard
  • The Shadow Garden
  • Trouble with Lemons
  • Bummer Summer
  • Season of Ponies
  • Strike Three, You're Dead (Lenny & the Mikes, #1)
  • Cheating Lessons
  • The Switchers Trilogy (Switchers, #1-3)
  • The World's Worst Fairy Godmother
  • The Ghost Behind the Wall
  • The Magic Three of Solatia
  • Borderline
  • Nightmare Hour: Time for Terror
  • Charlie (Snowy Cove, #1)
  • Mirror, Mirror
  • The Long Weekend
  • Finding Lubchenko (Lubchenko, #1)

BIO -- NANCY SPRINGER

Nancy Springer has passed the fifty-book milestone, having written that many novels for adults, young adults and children, in genres including mythic fantasy, contemporary fiction, magical realism, horror, and mystery -- although she did not realize she wrote mystery until she won the Edgar Allan Poe Award from the Mystery Writers of America two years in succession. DARK LIE