Start by marking “The Annunciations of Hank Meyerson: Mama's Boy and Scholar” as Want to Read:
The Annunciations of Hank Meyerson: Mama's Boy and Scholar

The Annunciations of Hank Meyerson: Mama's Boy and Scholar

Hank Meyerson isn't the whiny sort of mama's boy. He's more the wry, shaggy, chubby sort; an over-thinker, a ranter, and sometimes a crier. He adores Emily Dickinson. He kibitzes. He has the audacity to fall in love with his brother's wife. Repercussions of a tryst kick-start a story of love, loss, and, ultimately, redemption. Traversing from Minneapolis to Montana to the ...more
Published January 1st 2009 by Hooded Friar Press

To ask other readers questions about The Annunciations of Hank Meyerson, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Annunciations of Hank Meyerson

David Schwinghammer
Hank Meyerson has a problem with his brother, Carlton. Carlton is not only his step-father's favorite (he runs the family toy business); he was also a great athlete, although he falls short of making the majors.

Hank is also in love with Carlton's wife, June, and in the process of divorcing his own wife, Carol Ann. He handles the situation, in the middle of building a new bathroom for Carol Ann, by running away to Montana. Most of the story is set in Minnesota.

Hank is nowhere near the lout he thi
Adrianne Mathiowetz
Aug 13, 2009 rated it really liked it
I put off reading The Annunciations of Hank Meyerson for a while, because -- full disclosure -- my parents knew the author, and they wanted to make sure I did too. Parental introductory emails were sent, times established, it was officially an Arranged Coffee Drinking. And then I accidentally stood him up, because life was crazy and I had no sense of time or reverence, and he in his wonderfulness gave me a second chance and we had coffee and conversation was of course great.

But still. What are t
Ron
Jul 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
I ran across Scott Muskin in Atlanta by chance, noticed he had more than one copy of this unusually titled book and correctly inferred that he was the author. After talking to Muskin for a minute or two, I concluded that he was a super nice guy with a beautiful family. After reading his book, I would add that he's also one heck of a fiction writer who deserves all of the praise he has gotten for "Annunciations."

Everyone should be able to relate to at least some aspects of this book, which is one
Nate LeBoutillier
Jun 09, 2012 rated it it was ok
Scott Muskin's storytelling in this book is like that of an almost-friend at a party who's just amusing enough to not interrupt in his telling of an anecdote that seems it should and will take only a couple minutes to tell but stretches on and on, leaving you handcuffed to his whimsies. For my tastes, there was too much detail, not enough real conflict (or maybe a failed pinpointing of conflict), lack of originality in plot, and unsavory doses false self-flagellation (it's even in the title). T ...more
Connie
Mar 24, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I'm going to go ahead and give this one 5. Muskin's characters (especially Hank) are hilarious, raunchy, self-pitying, flawed, bizarre, and totally human. I sailed through the first three-quarters of the book with excitement--I looked forward to reading in a way I haven't in quite some time. But (there's always a but, isn't there, PeeWee?) the ending...I'm not sure how to take it. Muskin sustained the brilliant writing, but the plot turn itself seemed somehow incongruous with the levity of the r ...more
Jodi
Apr 05, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009-read
Hank Meyerson is that friend who takes a really, really long time to tell a story. Sure once you reach the end where the awesome is you’ve kind of forgiven him for taking the slow, meandering route, but still . . .

In Scott Muskin’s novel The Annunciations of Hank Meyerson, Mama’s Boy and Scholar, Hank tells us his entire life’s story. Much like most people’s lives, Hank’s life has a lot of really interesting and a hell of a lot of not so interesting. Unfortunately, we get a great deal of both in
Katherine
Mar 20, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book was so engrossing. Great writing style, prose that you can sink your teeth into. one of those books you stay up late reading because you want to know how it ends.
Best book I've read in a LONG TIME. On my top five list.
Terry
Feb 08, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: fiction
I did not enjoy this book as a novel. The story line was not compelling because it was hard to empathize with any of the characters. There were a few good lines: "A fried candy bar on a stick is good only in theory, like libertarianism.", but it wasn't really worth the time taken to read it.
Erin
Feb 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I was entertained by this book. The setting was Minneapolis - it was fun to have familiar places filter in throughout the book.
Nathaniel
Jun 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
DON'T MISS THIS ONE!!! Beautifully written, poignant, moving.
Meghan