Start by marking “The Leatherstocking Tales (The Deerslayer, The Last of the Mohicans, The Pathfinder, The Pioneers, The Prairie, and others)” as Want to Read:

The Leatherstocking Tales (The Leatherstocking Tales #1-5)

4.08  ·  Rating details ·  440 Ratings  ·  9 Reviews

The Leatherstocking Tales is a series of novels by American writer James Fenimore Cooper, each featuring the main hero Natty Bumppo, known by European settlers as "Leatherstocking," 'The Pathfinder", and "the trapper" and by the Native Americans as "Deerslayer," "La Longue Carabine" and "Hawkeye".

-summary from Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia.

Kindle Edition
Published (first published 1827)

To ask other readers questions about The Leatherstocking Tales, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Leatherstocking Tales

Harold Flint
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An American classic all should experience

Cooper has spun a thread that should be part of any person interested in American literature's fabric. The work allows the reader to experience the flowing phraseology of early American Authors. Brilliant work.
john r shell
Jun 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good Collection

A real bargain. Most interesting read. Start at beginning for these books are sequels.
Brings the colonialism of America to life.
James Violand
May 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone - with reservations.
Shelves: own
If you can possibly avoid the outrageous inconsistencies in some scenes or the extremely improbable - "Say sister. Our father is surrounded by hostile Indians in the Mohawk River Valley, let's go visit him, shall we?" If you can persist in tamping down your incredulity, you could find yourself enjoying these books. Cooper tried to be America's Sir Walter Scott. Too bad he couldn't see the glaring problems he created. Still, I enjoyed reading these novels. They span from the French & Indian W ...more
Kim Godard
Jan 30, 2011 rated it it was ok
Overblown and melodramatic. I liked it when I started because the footnotes added historical bits and pieces to round out the fiction, but in the end, the flowery language overwhelmed me, and I found I just wanted it to be over.
Kit
Nov 29, 2008 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: recentlyread
11 months and 1200 pages later, my Fenimore Cooper odyssey is over. I'd most recommend the first Natty Bumppo book he wrote, The Pioneers... if you run out of other things to read. Last of the Mohicans and The Prairie are good also. The Deerslayer is ponderous.
Liza Verdon
Apr 14, 2011 rated it really liked it
The Leatherstocking Tales were pretty cool adventures with honourable people in them. I really liked The Deerslayer. None of them were fabulous but they were pretty cool. They were kind of the same after you'd read a few of them.
Attila
Jun 18, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: adventure
Read the complete Leatherstocking Tales when I was a kid. I persevered and worked my way through all five of them, though none of them made a lasting impression on me.
Brenda
Dec 21, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-in-2017
Typical time to read: 50 hours and 15 minutes.
Philip
Mar 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Always a good early-spring read. Start looking for those animal tracks!
Eegore James
Kevin W. Jerrell
Dec 23, 2013
Joseph
Jul 04, 2017
  • Decoding The Lost Symbol: The Unauthorized Expert Guide to the Facts Behind the Fiction
  • Das Blut der Könige (Grail Cycle, #2)
  • Complete Short Stories
  • Gebrauchsanweisung für Amerika
  • Gibt es intelligentes Leben?
  • The Rose Demon
  • Schott's Sporting, Gaming, and Idling Miscellany
  • Trece Runas
  • Vein of Iron
  • Main-Travelled Roads
  • Gretchen mein Mädchen
  • Crusade Against the Grail: The Struggle between the Cathars, the Templars, and the Church of Rome
  • Secrets of Angels & Demons
  • Die Welt ist nicht immer Freitag
  • Words for the Wind: The Collected Verse
  • A History Of The Crusades 3 Volume Set
  • Harold
  • Julius Caesar
James Fenimore Cooper was a popular and prolific American writer. He is best known for his historical novel The Last of the Mohicans, one of the Leatherstocking Tales stories, and he also wrote political fiction, maritime fiction, travelogues, and essays on the American politics of the time. His daughter Susan Fenimore Cooper was also a writer.

Series:
* The Leatherstocking Tales
* The Littlepage Man
More about James Fenimore Cooper...

The Leatherstocking Tales (1 - 10 of 19 books)
  • The Deerslayer (The Leatherstocking Tales, #1)
  • The Last of the Mohicans (The Leatherstocking Tales #2)
  • The Pathfinder (Leatherstocking Tales, #3)
  • The Pioneers (Leatherstocking Tales, #4)
  • The Prairie (Leatherstocking Tales, #5)
  • The Leatherstocking Trilogy: Last of the Mohicans, The Deerslayer & The Pathfinder (Leatherstocking Tales)
  • Leatherstocking Saga
  • The Deer Slayer V1: Or the First Warpath (1841)
  • The Last of the Mohicans  (with Illustrations) (Cooper's Leatherstocking Tales)
  • The Leatherstocking Saga: Parts 1 & 2
“if a man believed all that other people choose to say in their own favor, he might get an oversized opinion of them, and an undersized opinion of himself.” 0 likes
“Then he was wrong, Hurry; very wrong. A man can enjoy plunder peaceably nowhere.” 0 likes