Start by marking “The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5)” as Want to Read:
The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion, #5)

The Black Stallion and Satan (The Black Stallion #5)

4.11  ·  Rating details ·  5,959 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Satan has won the Triple Crown, yet Alec still misses the Black, who’s living in Arabia with Sheikh Abu Ishak. Unexpectedly, Alec receives word that the sheikh has died and has left the Black to Alec. A race between the Black and Satan is inevitable, but unexpected events put the horses in the path of a raging forest fire. Suddenly, they are racing for their lives.
Published 1977 by Random House Books for Young Readers (first published 1949)

To ask other readers questions about The Black Stallion and Satan, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Black Stallion and Satan

Melody
Sep 14, 2007 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Now this is more like it. The Black is back, with his small, proud head, his finely molded muzzle, his arrogant carriage! And Alec, impetuous and wrong-headed, sure of himself and his stallion. Also Henry, wise, grizzled and always right. Plus adventure! Fires! Horse fights! Horse races! Police action!

Every bit as good as I remembered, but I'd forgotten the painfully awful Italian dialect Farley put in the mouth of Tony who is always referred to as "the huckster". Itsa beeg, beeg shame, thatsa
Mirrani
Mar 16, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
When I read Farley's work I am always amazed at how capable he is of capturing the essence of action and suspense in his adventure stories. You would think that he carried a tape recorder around with him and dictated chaotic events as they were happening so that they could be used later, because the action is so perfectly done, it's as if you're watching it or listening to it yourself. All of this is done without the lengthy descriptions that some authors rely on to express danger or distress. T ...more
Kensie Linton
Jan 15, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Jaysa Melton, Kaylin Hoover, Autumn Bloss, Lilly Richmond, Madeline Sitton, and my family
The main characters in this book are Alec, Henry, and the Black. Alec is the jockey and trainer of the Black and is the only person that can ride the wild stallion. Henry is there to help Alec if needed and enter the Black in races. The setting of this book first takes place in Alec’s barn when he gets this later from Abu Ishak’s daughter sends Alec a letter telling him that he will be getting the Black back because he died when the wild stallion threw him off. They tried to keep him in hiding b ...more
Saphirablue
Rena Sherwood
Who is faster -- The Black or his son Satan? Imaginative way for readers to find out. Keep in mind that this book was written decades before international travel for horse races became the norm.
Kristen Coffin
Jul 25, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals
"You got to have respect for what any horse might do."

Ah, The Black and Satan, my favorite literary horse, and a literary horse that annoys but captivates me. Here together. The thing I love about The Black is that his bond with Alec is so strong. It's what every little girl wants with a horse (or maybe because I grew up reading The Black Stallion that's what *I* wanted with a horse). But Satan is just wild.

We've got them basically pitted against each other here. The Black never got to race in t
Sierra Hodgman
Oct 05, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorite books.
Katie Winkler
May 24, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
One of my favorites as a kid
Rose
Abigail
Oct 11, 2016 rated it really liked it
Do not be discouraged by the title of the book. Satan is the name of the Black's colt. Over all it is pretty good.
Sierra
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Really good book. Loved it
Dark-Draco
Jun 16, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horsey-fiction
In the fourth instalment of the series, Alec is facing a crisis - he loves racing Satan, but has begun to feel as if the horse is no longer his. He longs for the days when he had the Black - so when he receives a letter to say that the Black is returning and will be his for real, he is over the moon. But word gets out and soon everyone is speculating as to which is the fastest horse - the Black or his son. A race is devised, with some of the top stallions from around the world invited to take pa ...more
Tania
Nov 12, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
The Black Stallion and Satan is the culmination of everything we'd been waiting for in the series up to that point. Though Alec was granted the first son of the Black, Satan, we knew that his love for The Black could not be overshadowed. It is only a matter of time, in the readers' minds, until these two are reunited. And so here it finally happens - the Black is coming back for good. Meanwhile, Alec and Henry have turned Satan into a racing machine. And so now what? Well, now you have this fant ...more
Wendy
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
I don't have much to say about this one.... There's a lot of lead-in to what ends up being an extremely rushed climax. That was pretty disconcerting.

Also, I wish Farley would have realized that he's crap at having his horse characters meet up in a race, because he loves them all, and stopped doing it. And I think we all figured that the Black was going to (view spoiler), so we didn't really need a book about it, but the premise was actually okay, if
Bonnie
Jul 26, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I started re-reading The Black Stallion series by Walter Farley in April and read five more from that series in May: Son of the Black Stallion, The Black Stallion and Satan, The Island Stallion, The Island Stallion's Fury, and The Blood Bay Colt. Only The Black Stallion and Satan was as enjoyable as when I was a kid, though I remember never really caring for the Island Stallion "spin-offs" or the two books on harness racing. Where's Alec and The Black? Bring 'em back!
Lynne Stringer
This was the second Black Stallion book I ever read and I was confused when it started with a different horse, having missed the introduction of Satan in the previous novel. Once I got over my confusion, I found it very enjoyable and though it was well written and well thought out. Loved the exciting race at the end.
Aug 31, 2010 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'm weeding this because when I opened it the pages fell out, but seriously this has got to be the most awesome title ever. Also it was a trifecta of win when I also found a trippy book about white horses and witchcraft that takes place in Columbus.
ஐ Briansgirl (Book Sale Queen)ஐ
Now that Alec inherits the Black back, this series got good again. I was glued to this book to see what would happen! And it touched my hear to the point of tears to see what Tony and his Nappy (Napoleon) did for Satan and the Black.
Serena
Jan 09, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: animals, 20th-century

My Rating System:
Elizabeth
Sep 13, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Who is faster, the Black Stallion or Satan, his son? No one really knows. The race of the century is on!

And off, as the horses to race are strike with Equine Infectious Anemia and must be quarantined.

Will the two great stallions face each other, or will they never make it to the track?
Sharon
Jan 09, 2010 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: childhood, horses
I raced through this series as a child. Of course, "The Black Stallion" was my favorite, and I read it a few times, but I waited eagerly for any of the books to return to my branch of the library so I could snap them up.
Maya Rock
Aug 30, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Satan is the Black Stallion's son who is POSSIBLY FASTER THAN THE BLACK STALLION. You really don't want it to be true though and in the end there's a barn fire and they both escape and the Black Stallion runs faster than Satan. What a relief.
Susie
Jan 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I included this book because it was one of those books that I read as a child that opened the door to "Reading For Pleasure" for me. I recently found an old copy at a 2nd hand book store so I hope to reread it soon.
Bea  Charmed
Reading for The Black Stallion Reading Challenge.

I thought I'd read this one before but very little was familiar, most of was new. The writing was okay, nothing special. Farley used a LOT of exclamation points. I did like the portrayal of Alec, it felt realistic.
Cheryl Rodrigues
one of my very favorite books in the series...this time the race becomes a race for survival. very riviting writing. Walter Farley was excellent at making words alive, letting you feel and see what was happening if only in your own mind.
Steve Stone
Jul 09, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Yet another great Farley book. Engaging. Farley seemed to put human attributes into the descriptions of his horse characters. A great book for a sub-teen.
Beth-Anne
Aug 15, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This is my favorite "Black Stallion" book. And Satan is the name of a horse.
Renada Thompson
Continuing my childhood rereads. Enjoyable, quick read but the virus outbreak followed by the fire seems really far-fetched.
Heidi
Nov 05, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was a very intense book. I mean look at the cover! :)
Irishgirl1247
My Second favorite of the Black Stallion Series after Black Stallion Mystery.
  • Born to Trot
  • The Black Stallion's Steeplechaser (Black Stallion Returns, #2)
  • Green Grass of Wyoming (Flicka, #3)
  • Wonder's First Race (Thoroughbred, #3)
Walter Farley's love for horses began when he was a small boy living in Syracuse, New York, and continued as he grew up in New York City, where his family moved. Young Walter never owned a horse. But unlike most city children, he had little trouble gaining firsthand experience with horses-his uncle was a professional horseman, and Walter spent much of his time at the stables with him.

"He wasn't th
More about Walter Farley...

The Black Stallion (1 - 10 of 24 books)
  • The Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #1)
  • The Black Stallion Returns (The Black Stallion, #2)
  • Son of the Black Stallion (The Black Stallion, #3)
  • The Island Stallion (The Black Stallion, #4)
  • The Black Stallion's Blood Bay Colt (The Black Stallion, #6)
  • The Island Stallion's Fury (The Black Stallion, #7)
  • The Black Stallion's Filly (The Black Stallion, #8)
  • The Black Stallion Revolts (The Black Stallion, #9)
  • The Black Stallion's Sulky Colt (The Black Stallion, #10)
  • The Island Stallion Races (The Black Stallion, #11)