Start by marking “The Shimmer” as Want to Read:
The Shimmer

The Shimmer

When a high-speed chase goes terribly wrong, Santa Fe police officer Dan Page watches in horror as a car and gas tanker explode into flames. Torn with guilt that he may be responsible, Page returns home to discover that his wife, Tori, has disappeared.Frantic, Page follows her trail to Rostov, a remote town in Texas famous for a massive astronomical observatory, a long-aba ...more
Published July 7th 2009 by Vanguard Press (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Shimmer, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Shimmer

Mike (the Paladin)
Dec 30, 2009 rated it did not like it
Well, what can I say. Take a Miracle sight like Lourdes or one like it, combine it with Close Encounters of the Third Kind, mix in a little PC cr*p and you've got the book. Personally I can't believe this is the same writer who gave us First Blood, The Brotherhood of the Rose, Fraternity of the Stone and others. At times I found this book silly and even annoying.

And as a rule I like Morrell.

The opening scenes of the novel were, I thought rather promising and I was getting interested, then it jus
Cheryl
Mar 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Fans of the unexplained (i.e. the Bermuda Triangle) would probably like this book. It's based on the mysterious Marfa Lights phenomenon. Interesting and quick-reading, the plot does lag a little in the middle. However, the pace really picks up in the exciting last third of the book. A bit weird, but alot of fun.
Martin Hill
Nov 19, 2012 rated it really liked it
Take a mysterious natural phenomenon like the Marfa Lights, a famous movie classic like "Giant," toss in a sinister military weapons project, mix well with a heart-wrenching love story, and what do you get? David Morrell's "The Shimmer," a fast-paced, page-turning sci-fi thriller.

"Shimmer" takes place in Rostov, Texas, Morrell's fictional stand-in for Marfa, Texas, where strange lights can sometimes be seen dancing in the darkness across the rough lands near the Mexican border. The book's hero,
Amanda Lyons
Apr 07, 2010 rated it it was amazing
The Shimmer is the first book I've read by David Morrell an author my fiance has long recommended and read himself for several years. Having read this book I can see why.

The Shimmer is an interesting tale about a strange phenomenon in the west Texas dessert and how it comes to affect one couple, a military man, a journalist and the town where it generates. The central story revolves the couple but we also get a quite a look into the other aspects of the story as it goes along. Based on a real p
Indy Quillen
Jul 18, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Other reviewers have mentioned this is not the author's best work, but I found the writing engaging and the story intriguing. But I'll admit this is the first Morrell book I've read, so I can't compare it to others. It gets five stars from me because the writing was spot on and I loved the fact it was difficult, if not impossible, to separate fact from fiction - it was so well woven together. I love the fact the author has seen the lights and was inspired to create a fiction story using them.
Kay Elizabeth
Feb 23, 2010 rated it really liked it
The Shimmer (Vanguard Press, ISBN 9781593155377, Hardcover, 352pp) is an engrossing and suspense packed thriller from the pen of Rambo creator, David Morrell. Set in and around the fictional Rostov, Texas, The Shimmer’s about mysterious lights in the sky near the small town. Are they so much more than they appear to be or just some geological anomaly as some think? An out of town policeman’s search to discover their source unveils centuries old sightings, hidden government projects and that his ...more
David
Jul 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Though this is probably a three and a half star read overall, I'm rounding up rather than down because the strengths outweigh the weaknesses. David Morrell is an author who has produced winner after winner, building most of his career off military thrillers and spy fiction (First Blood, The Brotherhood of the Rose, The Fifth Profession, etc). In the first decade of the 2000s, he has included more elements of horror in his books. This actually reads like a '90s Dean Koontz book. The town in the b ...more
Alexia561
Aug 09, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: review-copy, fiction
My first David Morrell book was Brotherhood of the Rose, which was also my first time liking movie so much that I wanted to read the book. David is a very talented writer, and you can tell that he does his research and really knows what he's talking about! For instance, one of the main characters in this book is a pilot. David learned how to fly planes and is now a pilot as well.

The Shimmer introduces us to policeman Dan Page right in the middle of an unusual car chase. Dan had the day off and
James Piper
A cop goes searching for his missing wife and finds she's become entranced by these mysterious lights near a small town in southern Texas. Some people see the lights and are drawn to them like an addict to his fix. Most simply don't see them and feel they are being tricked. Natural explanations are offered but nothing is definitive. It’s a mystery.

The novel centres around the mystery of these lights--past encounters and present. I was caught up in understanding what caused them. As a skeptic I w
Conan Tigard
Nov 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing
From the first chapter of The Shimmer by David Morrell, I was hooked. Even with working every day for eight hours, I was able to polish the book off in a little over two days. I became engrossed in the story and just couldn't wait to find out what was going to happen next.

What I enjoyed about the story was the flow. It was perfect. The book quickly built in intensity and then maintained a sense of tension which made it hard for me to want to put it down, so I didn't. I had to know what the ligh
Amy
Sep 22, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was an engrossing mystery/thriller. Morrell is a master of weaving several stories together around one event/object--in this case, "the shimmer," which is actually mysterious lights in West Texas. Are they supernatural? Physical phenomenon? Psychological? Government experiments? Nobody really knows for sure but the lights attract a lot of people and they've been appearing for more than 100 years. As officer Page's wife, Tori, becomes drawn to them, Page is forced to investigate the lights i ...more
Janice Roberts
Feb 15, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Planning on seeing the Marfa lights in East Texas. on the bucket list.
Dav
Sep 09, 2017 rated it it was ok
The Shimmer • by David Morrell

PLOT:
"When a high-speed chase goes terribly wrong, Santa Fe police officer Dan Page watches in horror as a car and gas tanker explode into flames. Torn with guilt that he may be responsible, Page returns home to discover that his wife, Tori, has disappeared.

Frantic, Page follows her trail to Rostov, a remote town in Texas famous for a massive astronomical observatory, a long-abandoned military base, and unexplained nighttime phenomena that draw onlookers from every
Rubberboots
Jun 17, 2018 rated it it was ok
Prior to The Shimmer, I had read Morrell's Brotherhood of the Rose and Fraternity of the Stone which I both really liked. Keen to read another Morrell book, The Shimmer didn't live up to the Brotherhood / Fraternity. Not even close. I felt the writting itself was not up the earlier book's standard, even the dialogue portions had no substance. Regardless, after a slow start, the book picked up momentum for an overall fun read. That's how I caracterize this one - simply a fun book. Don't expect to ...more
Adam Michael Seligman
Aug 12, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: thrillers
This book was one that I did not like right away. When u did find myself liking it though, I couldn't put it down. As I read more, I remembered seeing something like this as a young child, on TV. I was so right. David Morrell is an author I will certainly read more of. He knows how to keep his audience hooked.
Michelle
Feb 16, 2017 rated it it was ok
Highly unsatisfying. There was no closure, no explanation and it really could have used some. Parts of the story were decent and I kept reading because I wanted answers, unfortunately there were none. The most interesting part of this book was the extra content at the end in which the author explained how he came up with the idea for this book. Oh well.
AnonymousReaderPerson
The only juice this thing has is a (somewhat) enticing plotline, with a decent array of subplots to augment it. But the characters are paper thin, and there's really nothing distinctive about the writing.
Geoff Spakes
Not bad, but not riveting either...had some moments but overall was a fairly pedestrian story without the payoff I was hoping for in the end. The characters were developed enough for me to care about them, but just meh overall.
Chris
Oct 30, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: fiction, thriller
Not a bad book. Based on Area 41 I believe but leave out the aliens just the gov't being up to their sneaky things. Hey we are doing this and no one is gonna know. It is about believing in yourself and fighting your demons.
Ally
Sep 12, 2019 rated it it was ok
This was my first David Morrell book and I have to say I was disappointed. The blurb made the book sound appealing but the story was slow, lacked intrigue or suspense, and the main characters were bland. Had potential but missed the mark.

Pete Aldin
Sorry I spent $ on this. I generally love Morrell’s work. This one was tedious and badly written. Couldn’t finish.

But I’ll,return to his other work. I’m a fan.
Robert
Mar 13, 2018 rated it it was ok
I find Morrell to be much like Koontz, fantastic intricate plots loosely held together by mediocre writing and cliched characters. The plots are always enough to keep me plodding through.
Ken Voiles
Dec 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Fantastic! Need to make a trip to Marfa and check out the lights for myself.
Joni Fisher
Thrills and mystery in The Shimmer

The story accelerates from a marriage in trouble into a world of intrigue, danger, and wonder. Loved the flying scenes!
Donn Lorber
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was ok
West Texas small town where weird lights show in the distance. Government testing and monitoring combined w murder and mayhem w unknown sourcing of human behavior
Barb VanderWel
Nov 25, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I love this & I can't wait for more.
I will be also leaving a review on Goodreads @ Amazon.
And letting everyone know about it.
So i gave it a 5 Stars.
Karen Koenig
Mar 29, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Awesome book!
Brian
May 09, 2014 rated it it was ok
David Morrell's acknowledged inspiration for The Shimmer is the phenomenon known as the Marfa lights. The lights are colored, basketball-sized orbs of light that appear occasionally throughout the year near the small, west Texas town of Marfa. They have been embraced by some UFO and paranormal enthusiasts, while being dismissed by science as natural phenomena and reflections of the headlights of vehicles traveling on a nearby highway. Morrell gives lip service to the mundane, but builds his stor ...more
Amanda Morgan
Jul 29, 2011 rated it really liked it
For as far back as anyone can remember, Rostov, Texas, has been home to an indefinable phenomenon, the Rostov Lights. “The Shimmer” explores this phenomenon without offering an explanation.
Inspired by the similar real-life Texas Marfa Lights, Morrell decided to take this story, add a whole new world of characters and details, and turn it into something scary and all-too believable.
Police officer Dan Page returns home from work one night to find his wife missing. She has left a note saying she’
Michelle
"This is my first experience with David Morrell's work. I can see how he would be considered a great thriller writer. Unfortunately, I suspect that The Shimmer is not an example of his best work, which is extremely disappointing because it has such great potential. [return][return]The premise itself is intriguing. Mysterious, unexplained lights hold some interest for me because there is a location north of Houston, Texas that has a similar phenomenon. My husband took me to see these particular l ...more
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Then Came the Evening
  • The Lure
  • You Can't Always Get What You Want
  • Vapor Trail (Phil Broker, #4)
  • Predator: Big Game
  • Sweepers
  • The Army of the Republic
  • The Atlantis Revelation (Conrad Yeats Adventure, #3)
  • Very Hard Choices (Russell Walker/Zandor Zudenigo/Nika Mandiç Mysteries, #2)
  • Corn Flakes with John Lennon: And Other Tales from a Rock 'n' Roll Life
  • The Face of the Assassin
  • Semper Cool: One Marine's Fond Memories of Vietnam
  • Beware of the Dog: Rugby's Hard Man Reveals All
  • Lakewood Memorial
  • Primitive
  • Crucified  (Special X, #13)
  • Cut and Run
  • EarthRise (Sauron, #2)
David Morrell is a Canadian novelist from Kitchener, Ontario, who has been living in the United States for a number of years. He is best known for his debut 1972 novel First Blood, which would later become a successful film franchise starring Sylvester Stallone. More recently, he has been writing the Captain America comic books limited-series The Chosen.