Start by marking “Me, Just Different (The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt, #1)” as Want to Read:
Me, Just Different (The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt, #1)

Me, Just Different (The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  435 Ratings  ·  55 Reviews
Skylar Hoyt, a high school senior whose exotic Hawaiian looks have propelled her to the height of the 'in' crowd, but who's no longer sure that's where she really fits. New friends, old friends, a reluctant romance, and a family crisis swirl around Skylar as she tries to keep it together and figure out who she really wants to be.
Published July 1st 2009 by Fleming H. Revell Company

Rachelle Cobb
Dec 05, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I just put down the last book in The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt series. For the second time.

I can only remember one other contemporary YA series of novels that I have ever read. The Diary of A Teenage Girl series by Melody Carlson, the Caitlin O'Conner books. I read that series twice, too, but not within a few months of each other. In fact, I can't remember when was the last time I read an entire series (or even one book, for that matter) twice in half a year. My To-Read List is just that long
Jill Williamson
Oct 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
When Eli rescues eighteen-year-old Skylar from a bad situation at a summer party, she is so relieved that she agrees to start dating him. But she is also making some life changes. No more parties, and she's going to start going to church. But her friends and family aren't making that an easy thing to do. Eli is always jealous and won't come to church with her, her little sister has a secret that Skylar is forced to keep, and her parents' marriage is falling apart. The last thing she needs is for ...more
R. G. Nairam
I didn't read this until I got it for free, because it didn't look like my kind of book.

It's not, really.

But for some reason I quite enjoyed reading it anyway? It had some compelling stuff going on, in the midst of the crazy teen girl drama I don't understand in real life, never mind fiction. I liked faults and blame on both sides of the conflicts and the unintentional hurt the characters ("good" and "bad")caused each other. Even though I saw the romantic pair from the beginning, it became appar
Zoe Race
Aug 06, 2016 rated it really liked it
I loved this book because it was so close to real life. I actually mostly read 18 hundreds books, but this one was quite modern.
Skylar is supposed to live the perfect life of the popular, pretty girl with a nice boyfriend. But in one horrible night everything changes. She promises herself she won't ever party again and starts going to church. But then everything seems to go wrong for her. Her best friend turns on her, there is this annoying guy, she has problems with her boyfriend (which she sec
Tessa Hall
Mar 28, 2010 rated it really liked it
What I liked: I love how this story weaves real-teen issues into it's content, and isn't too in-your-face preachy. It was also a very easy read, and the spiritual side to this story seemed real, not too cheesy.

What I disliked: Sterotypical characters that weren't as developed as they possibly could've been. There wasn't anything special about the plot, really. It was just another chick-flick novel for teens about high school drama. Although it was an easy-read, Stephanie Morrill's writing was an
Roseanna White
Jun 30, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Skylar Hoyt has it all and doesn’t know if she wants any of it anymore. She’s the leader of the popular girls, has a boyfriend who’s off the cute-meter, is known for her exotic Hawaiian looks . . . and is seriously wondering what it all matters. A near-disaster at a party when she had too much to drink scares her back to the straight and narrow—but when her family’s tossed into crisis, she has to think it’s too little too late.

Her parents are constantly fighting. Her little sister confides a se
Arielle
Mar 07, 2013 rated it really liked it
This is what people need to be writing for teen girls! I love that it deals with realistic situations and relevant topics like drinking/smoking/rape/pregnancy/peer pressure that teens now days are surrounded by. Set it a typical high school setting, I found myself going back to my own teen years and relating to things going on in the book. A little stereotypical in some areas, so I have it 4 stars. I think the author could have been a little more creative in some things. A strong Christian messa ...more
EmmaTheAmazing
Don't just look at this book, look at the cover with the smiling girl and the school lockers in the backround. Don't just see the green flower or the discription on the back. Why? These traits don't begin to describe this book.
I know, I know. The typical 'don't judge a book by it's cover' stuff.
I will not lie. I picked this book up, not really expecting to like it.
I was so wrong.
This book is addicting and extremely well written. I honestly really liked it, and soon got started on the second one.
Abigail the Fangirl
Aug 05, 2013 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this book. Very interesting with some good life lessons. One thing I didn't like was Skylar's personality. She was just almost too bratty, and I really didn't like her. She barely ever had a good moment.
Brianna
May 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
I had a review. The page ate it. I really don't want to rewrite it. But the book is good. :D
J.C.
Feb 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2017
While reading this series I neglected to review out each one as I finished, and now having finished, all three books have meshed together in my mind and it would be nearly impossible to try to distuinguish them again for the point of three separate reviews. So instead I have decided to review all three in one review of the whole series. * MINOR SPOILERS.*

Book One. It drew me in, so it gets points for that, if for nothing else. The opener was inciting and the characters immediately intriguing.
Fred Warren
Dec 11, 2013 rated it liked it
In Me, Just Different, We meet Skylar Hoyt fresh from near-catastrophe—a party gone horribly wrong and a date-rape averted only by the timely intervention of a friend. Skylar knows she won’t get another second chance. Her life has to change. Now.

But how?

It’s easy to say you’re going to wipe the slate clean and make a fresh start. Actually doing it is more complicated, and “complicated” pretty much defines Skylar’s life. Her father’s a workaholic oblivious to Skylar’s plight. Her career-focused m
Michelle
Me, Just Different was well-written, insightful, and impossible to put down. It's the real deal in that it's an authentic representation of some serious issues. I zipped right through it. There was one point in the story where I cried real tears. That, for me, is a great sign that I cared about the characters. I was so into the story world that I felt something strong enough to be sad over. But it wasn't a depressing sad. It was a healing sad. Sometimes when your life is falling apart, that's wh ...more
Brenda
Sep 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: young-adult
Me, Just Different by Stephanie Morrill is a young adult novel, and the first in a series about Skylar Hoyt. This one is very young adult, complete with teen angst, school days, and boyfriends. Skylar is a high school senior, who, after a bad experience the summer before, decides to make some big life changes. She decides to start going to church and to stop partying.

She has a hard time, though, because she's shallow, materialistic and self-centered. Oops, did I say that out loud? Oddly enough,
Sofia Marie
Typical Skylar: “I’m so what?” I attempted to sound forceful enough to make Connor rethink this whole line of conversation. “Cliché,” he said. “Cliché!” Far worse than the profane description I assumed he’d assign me. “I’m anything but a cliché.” ... “I’ve never been told something so offensive in my entire life.” I could feel the twitch of my left eye as I struggled to hold in tears. “What makes me a cliché?”

After a night she wishes she could forget, Skylar knows changes have to be made. Change
Rosie
Apr 03, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Woah. This book is incredible. I related much more to Skylar than I thought I would. I mean, I've never gone to public school, smoked, or went to keg parties (thank the Lord.) But I knew how she felt being with a guy you weren't sure you liked--much less loved. Because I found myself in a situation quite similar to hers. Once I got into this book I could hardly put it down.

Now for more about the book. Skylar Hoyt finds herself changing after a close-call at a party. It's because of this close-ca
Carman
Oct 31, 2009 rated it really liked it
This is a must-read for teen girls today. Me, Just Different reminded me of Michelle Sutton’s Second Glances series. Both this book and Michelle’s DEAL WITH ISSUES! I love that. Teens today are so deceived by the secular worldview of things, and books like this one are what they need to read. While still being fun, enjoyable reads, they really show the truth of things. They aren’t fluff, like most teen books are nowadays.

I cried SO hard! This book will really make you feel things. I felt so sor
Apr 02, 2012 rated it really liked it
Summary: Skylar Hoyt's life changed the night she was almost raped. Vowing to be different, she stops partying and goes back to the youth group she had abandoned when she became popular. Her wild past continues to pull her back as she struggles with a jealous boyfriend, fighting parents, and a sister with a big secret. Will Skylar be able to find herself in the midst of all this chaos?

My thoughts: Although the book starts off shaky as the plot jumps around and the author tries to establish the m
Jade
Jan 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I will admit, I didn't think I would enjoy this book. I didn't think I would get past the first 100 pages but boy, was I wrong.

It took me a little while to get into the story because of how much I was adverse to Skylar at first. I thought that I would have to force myself to read the rest but that was most definitely not the case.

I cried and laughed and felt for Skylar as her seemingly perfect life broke apart bit by bit. I watched and dove deeper into the story as Skylar grew less superficial a
Paula  Phillips
May 31, 2013 rated it it was amazing
This book is all about how one moment in your life can cause a domino effect and though it may not seem it at the time , it always ends up being for the better. Meet Skylar , She has everything Friends, Popularity, Parties , The World at her feet until one day her world comes crashing around her . Her Family's falling apart , her sister has a big secret that no-one can find out and the family down the road have moved in and are too perfect too be true. Can Skylar re-invent herself without losing ...more
Sofia
May 09, 2014 rated it liked it
THIS REVIEW CONTAINS SPOILERS
It's books like these that can make me want to stop reading all together. It wasn't entirely a bad book. It's just that I was so excited to read a book that wasn't completely centred around romance. By the middle of the book, Skylar and Connor were best friends, but definitely not in love. I liked that. But then, by the end, things changed and it was just like every other Christian teen book that I've read recently. Is it such an uncommon idea to have a guy and a gir
Cookielover
Feb 12, 2013 rated it it was amazing
It's probably not heathy to get too attached to the characters of a book, but can you see that I actually was Skylar as I read? I mean, OMG, this woman can write, I'm thinking on page one. Then I'm at the middle of the book and all I want to do is throw it out the window because can you BELIEVE Jodi has the nerve to say that?!?!
Yeah, maybe not healthy
Anyway, I read this book like four times...ok, ten but its really an awesome book.
Sara Bennett
Apr 04, 2013 rated it liked it
When this was a free ebook a little while ago I got a copy and I decided to reread it. I actually liked it better the second time around and while this isn't a super favorite of mine it is a really good book. And the author is super sweet :) If you are looking for a good Christian YA book to read this is a great one. It does have brief mentions of smoking, partying, and almost being raped as well as teen pregnancy. But it's a sweet story, I'll be picking up the next book in the series soon!
Jillian
Jun 24, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
I recently reread this book and I loved it once again! Stephanie Morrill does a fabulous job with captivating the reader. Skylar is such a memorable character and she remained in my head long after reading. Her story was a real page turner, and I couldn't help but wonder how she would get out of each situation. I found I related to Skylar, even though she didn't seem anything like me at first. This book has found a place on my favorites shelf. Highly recommended to all teen girls!
Catherine Richmond
The summer before her senior year of high school, Skylar is almost raped at a party. She decides to change her life - quit smoking, quit drinking, and go back to church. But becoming a different person is more difficult than expected.

Oh the drama of high school relationships! I'm glad I escaped alive!
Tiana
Apr 01, 2013 added it
The thing that I thought was handled really well was that it all seemed very realistic. The problems Skylar faces don't just go away with a wave of a magic wand. Some serious stuff hits the fan, and yet, the resolution at the end is believable. Not everything is resolved (there are more books in the series, after all), but I was left thinking that things would work out.
Ralene Burke
Jul 12, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I loved the first of Stephanie Morill's Skylar Hoyt series. Her skill for creating characters who are endearing, frustrating, and just plain real is exceptional. Her writing style really draws the reader into the moment and you experience everything right along with Skylar. Kinda scary being back in a teen's head, but so relateable!
Emma
Mar 18, 2013 rated it liked it
Family issues. Personal issues. Boy issues. issues ga-freaking-lore. this whole book was about issues of various sorts. pregnant sister issues. more boy issues. flat tire issues. back-stabbing friend issues. clothing issues. church issues. smoking issues. the list goes on. Thankfully, many issues are resolved. still. meh. just meh.
Laura Smith
Mar 31, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: young-adult
Stephanie Morrill nails high school life in the first book of the Skylar Hoyt series. She is not afraid to take on real life issues and show that her characters, like all of us, can be flawed, make bad decisions, and struggle even when they know right from wrong. Life isn't simple or easy, and Skylar Hoyt vividly and authentically illustrates that in a fast paced story that will win you over.
Elise
Mar 24, 2013 rated it liked it
Fine, quick read. Free on kindle, and the main character has my maiden name, so I thought I'd give it a shot. As a Christian novel, it was a clean read. Too much high school teenage drama (and lots of things that will quickly date the book, ie mobile phone calls vs texting) for me to want to read the remaining two books of this trilogy.
  • Goodbye Hollywood Nobody (Hollywood Nobody, #4)
  • The Big Picture (Katie Parker Productions, #3)
  • The Jerk Magnet (Life at Kingston High, #1)
  • Asking for Trouble (London Confidential, #1)
  • The Wishing Pearl (Diamond Estates, #1)
  • Pressing Hard (Perry Skky Jr., #2)
  • Blessings in Disguise (Good Girlz, #2)
  • Match Point (Lauren Holbrook, #3)
  • The Invisible Arab: The Promise and Peril of the Arab Revolutions
  • Found in Translation (Altered Hearts, #1)
  • Don't Tell a Soul
  • The Summer of Cotton Candy (Sweet Seasons, #1)
  • Wish You Weren't Here (Camp Confidential, #8)
Stephanie Morrill is the author of several young adult novels, including the 1920's mystery, The Lost Girl of Astor Street). Despite loving cloche hats and drop-waist dresses, Stephanie would have been a terrible flapper because she can’t do the Charleston and looks awful with bobbed hair. She and her near-constant ponytail live in Kansas City with her husband and three kids. You can learn more ab ...more
More about Stephanie Morrill

The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt (3 books)
  • Out with the In Crowd (The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt, #2)
  • So Over It (The Reinvention of Skylar Hoyt, #3)

Young Adult Deals

• Beneath the Shine
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Time's Divide (The Chronos Files, #3)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • Greensleeves
  • Gilded (Gilded, #1)
    $3.99 $0.99
  • Infinity Lost (The Infinity Trilogy #1)
    $3.99 $1.99
  • Timebound (The Chronos Files, #1)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Banished of Muirwood (Covenant of Muirwood, #1)
  • Keeping You a Secret
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Fractured (Guards of the Shadowlands, #2)
    $4.99 $0.99
  • Gena/Finn
    $13.99 $1.99
  • The Queen's Poisoner (Kingfountain, #1)
  • Trusting You & Other Lies
    $10.99 $1.99
  • Touch of Eternity (The Curse #1)
  • Dragon Rider
    $5.99 $1.99
  • The Traitor's Kiss (The Traitor's Circle, #1)
    $7.80 $2.99
  • Flush
    $6.99 $1.99
  • Dreadnought (Nemesis, #1)
  • A Totally Awkward Love Story
    $7.99 $1.99
  • The Fire Queen (The Hundredth Queen, #2)
  • Go: A Coming of Age Novel
  • Just a Drop of Water
  • One Moment
    $9.99 $1.99
  • The Wishing Spell (The Land of Stories, #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Better Nate Than Ever (Better Nate Than Ever #1)
    $7.99 $1.99
  • Sanctum (Guards of the Shadowlands, #1)
  • Time Bomb
    $9.99 $1.99
  • Kissing Max Holden
    $9.99 $2.99
  • Dryad-Born (Whispers from Mirrowen, #2)
    $4.99 $1.99
  • The Summer of Jordi Perez (And the Best Burger in Los Angeles)
    $16.99 $1.99