Start by marking “The Last Best Hope: Restoring Conservatism and America's Promise” as Want to Read:
The Last Best Hope: Restoring Conservatism and America's Promise

The Last Best Hope: Restoring Conservatism and America's Promise

In this groundbreaking book, Joe Scarborough tells Republican Party bosses what they don’t want to hear, explains why Democrats are making matters so much worse, and then shows leaders of both parties the way forward.

The Last Best Hope draws on the forgotten genius of conservatism to offer a road map for the movement and the country. Delivering a searing indictment of the
Published June 9th 2009 by Crown Forum (first published January 1st 2009)

To ask other readers questions about The Last Best Hope, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Last Best Hope

Start your review of The Last Best Hope: Restoring Conservatism and America's Promise
NICK
Jul 12, 2017 rated it liked it
This Book was entertaining to say the least. Written in 2009 it is laughably naive. Poor Joe makes some seriously misguided predictions. I laughed out loud quite a few times at how miserably wrong this man was.
Cwhittall
Mar 07, 2010 rated it really liked it
Written at about a 5th grade level but this Scarborough's book contains a lot of very solid insight. There is some interesting data but few citations so I hate to reuse most of it. The gist of his argument, which I wholeheartedly endorse, is that in the George W years the the Republicans strayed from conservatism to something far, far from the philosophy of Buckley and other conservative thought leaders. For example (using data he attributes to Meacham) in 2000 Americans spent only 18% of GDP on ...more
thewanderingjew
Jul 05, 2009 rated it really liked it
I have only read the first 60 pages but so far, unlike The Dark Side, this is a fair and unbiased approach to the war on terror and the general failure of the Republican party and its Conservative wing. The appraisal of the Bush White House by this former Republican Congressman is heartening since it is open, honest and written in plain language that anyone can understand and appreciate. He points out the mistakes without sarcasm and gives a brief history of the circumstances leading up to the e ...more
The American Conservative
'Unlike most Republican politicians and conservative cable-TV shouters, however, Scarborough has learned valuable lessons from the failures and disappointments of the Bush years. The Last Best Hope: Restoring Conservatism and America’s Promise represents the “Morning Joe” host’s attempt to teach his fellow GOP conservatives some of what he has learned.'

Read the full review, "Not Your Average Joe," on our website:
Mary Ficalora
Jun 10, 2009 rated it really liked it
Joe Scarborough is a rational conservative, it is refreshing to see one still in the public forum.
Warren Benton
Jun 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
I know Scarborough has been around for some time.  I know he has a TV show.  But I have never watched it and was unfamiliar with him prior to this book.   The majority of this book is talking about fiscal conservatism.  Scarborough thought that Obama spent recklessly and stupidly.  Scarborough was against all the bailout plans.  He believed that if businesses failed it is not the Federal Government that should bail them out.  Taxpayers should not be paying to keep businesses running.

Scarboroug
Silvia
Good chunks of this are outdated (written after Obama's first election), but it was still an enjoyable read. I enjoy Morning Joe, and although I'm not a Republican, and definitely have streak of conservatism, which was the focus of the book.
Ray
May 02, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Scarborough is a former Republican member of Congress, serving from 1995 through 2001. He received a 95 percent lifetime rating from the American Conservative Union, and received a number of awards including the "Friend of the Taxpayer Award" from Americans for Tax Reform; the "Guardian of Small Business Award" from the National Federation of Independent Business; and the "Taxpayer's Hero Award" from the Citizens Against Government Waste. With that background, you'd understand a heavily partisia ...more
Brian
Apr 14, 2010 rated it liked it
Joe Scarborough is probably the one young conservative that is most like Ronald Reagan in temperament and conviction. I know this will stun some neo-cons and religious nuts that think they own the mythology of Reagan's mantle, but it is true nonetheless. I think what infuriates Joe's critics and his enemies is one thing: HE ISN'T AN IDEALOGUE!

Thank God.

The book is an enjoyable read, though I would have found it more enlighting had it gone into more specifices. It seemed like he was attempting
David
Jul 27, 2013 rated it really liked it
I reread this a while back, and it is wonderful how prophetic it is. for all Joe's posturing and self-promotion (inevitable, perhaps), he nails the tail on the elephant. The more the radicals who pretend to be conservative tear up the Republican Party and try to tear apart America, tghe4 more insightful this book becomes.
Mar 13, 2010 is currently reading it
This is the first conservative view of American politics that has me nodding my head in agreement sometimes. I'm hooked on it and though I disagree with some of what is written it has me thinking, really examining my views.
Du
May 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: ebook, history-govt
A good look at how George Bush and the Republicans shifted from a true conservative ethos and have damaged the country. The ideas for saving the party, and country are solid, but may not be acceptable to many in the GOP. I liked the ideas urging conservatives to embrace conservation.
Judith Wrinkle
Apr 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Wonderful and very informative Book. Felt smarter when I put it down. Began watching Mr. Scarborough on his tv news show. Really could wake up a lot of people to what goes on with the government...............
Chris
Apr 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
Tore up on Republicans and Democrats both. Guy really hates what "Republicanism" did to the conservative majority in the 90's.

I recommend it to anyone of either political persuasion
Ella
give to Dad
Doug
Aug 29, 2009 rated it liked it
Conservatism doesn't necessarily = Republican.
Joe Hayes
Jan 16, 2014 rated it really liked it
Scarborough is a Republican I can listen to and support. I agreed with his insights on the Environment and Campaign Finance Reform.
Adam
Dec 20, 2010 rated it really liked it
Joe is brilliant here discussing what Republicans need to do to get America back on track.
Erin
Feb 08, 2010 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: anyone interested in politics, particularly conservative politics
Excellent read from Joe Scarborough about bringing conservativism back to the Republican party.
Justin Thorp
Apr 25, 2014
Chris
Dec 20, 2016
Erin
rated it did not like it
May 08, 2020
« previous 1 3 4 5 next »

• Spider-Man/Deadpool, Vol. 1: Isn't it Bromantic
  • When I'm Gone
  • Black Panther, Vol. 1: A Nation Under Our Feet, Book 1
  • Carnegie's Maid
  • If Not for You (New Beginnings, #3)
  • Killing the SS: The Hunt for the Worst War Criminals in History
  • Beyond Outrage: What has gone wrong with our economy and our democracy, and how to fix it
  • Aftershock: The Next Economy and America's Future
  • First in His Class: A Biography of Bill Clinton
  • Killing Kennedy: The End of Camelot (The Killing of Historical Figures)
  • Depraved Heart (Scarpetta, #23)
  • A Girl's Guide to Moving On (New Beginnings, #2)
  • The Lost Order (Cotton Malone, #12)
  • After I'm Gone
  • How to Win Friends and Influence People in the Digital Age
  • Please Don't Tell
  • The Ghost Map: The Story of London's Most Terrifying Epidemic—and How It Changed Science, Cities, and the Modern World
  • Big Girl Panties
Charles Joseph "Joe" Scarborough (born April 9, 1963) is an American cable news and talk radio host, lawyer, author, and former politician. He is currently the host of Morning Joe on MSNBC, and previously hosted Scarborough Country on the same channel. Scarborough served in the United States House of Representatives from 1995 to 2001 as a Republican from the 1st district of Florida. He was named i ...more

News & Interviews