Start by marking “Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast: Washington, Oregon, British Columbia and Alaska” as Want to Read:

This best-selling field guide features 794 species of trees, shrubs, wildflowers, aquatics, grasses, ferns, mosses and lichens found along the coast from Oregon to Alaska. Color photographs and line drawings help you identify and learn about the fascinating plants of the Pacific Northwest coast. Engaging notes on each species describe aboriginal and other local uses of pla ...more
Published March 31st 1994 by Lone Pine Publishing

Start your review of Plants of the Pacific Northwest Coast: Washington, Oregon, British Columbia and Alaska
Karen Erdmann
May 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This is my "go to" book for all plants I find on the farm, in our woods and on my walks. It gives a balance of identification, uses and local culture. It will always occupy a prominent place on my current bookshelf and I will never be finished reading it.
Lisa
Mar 17, 2018 rated it really liked it
My only gripe with this book is that it does not include the scientific name of the family in the plant profiles.
Aileen
Mar 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
These are my favorite field guides. I learned about the Lone Pine field guides during my environmental science field camp during the summer of 2007 and got very enthusiastic about keying out plants. Now I'm in Alaska and have tried many resources to get to know the plants around here and this guide remains the best one. It makes me want spring and summer so I can get outside and watch things grow!
Katie
Jun 14, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Excellent reference book for those who wish to hike with their encyclopedias. A good cover of the PNW plants but not too heavy to bring along. Nicely organized and even if I am totally unfamiliar with the plant I can find it pretty easily in the book. Otherwise, I have read the book back to front several times looking for plants and enjoyed every minute of it.
Aleksandra
Sep 16, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite Cascadia field guide. It describes pretty much any native plant you're likely to see in a Western Washington/Oregon forest, with lots of botanical detail and pretty pictures. I love that it's focused on a bioregion rather than a political region; many field guides cover Washington state, which is both too big and too small.
Leah
Jun 26, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Beautiful and informative.
Degan Walters
Nov 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Great resource of our flora.
Amber
Jun 07, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Legit the Alaskan Park/Forest Ranger bible. No seriously...thank God for this book lol
Sally Anne
Oct 08, 2018 rated it really liked it
indispensable. Includes some ethnobotany.
Robin
Jul 01, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This is my favorite field guide and I thoroughly geek out with it on every camping trip. Highly recommended for anyone interested in local flora.
Elizabeth Sims
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nature
Constantly referred to this book when living on the Olympic Peninsula for 7 years. A real gem.
Kelly Brenner
Sep 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Plants of the Pacific Northest Coast: Washington, Oregon, British Columbia & Alaska features nearly 800 plants common to the coast of the Pacific Northwest and is one of my most often referenced plant books. Boasting over 1,000 each photos and drawings, plants are described in good detail including information about plant structure such as leaf shape and color, fruit types and flowers. Color-coded range maps accompany each plant species and in addition the book lists the ecology, what habita ...more
Shawn Miles
Feb 28, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
This guide is so dense with information that if it didn't have a well written information introductory a person would be lost reading it.

I loved comparing this book to another book "The new whole foods encyclopedia" by Rebecca Wood.

I can walk outside and forage for whole foods. That wasn't the original intent but that's how the idea started. Could I take a hike, identify the plans around me and if I was hungry have a snack? How would I know if it was safe to eat.

This great little guide is so
Pentti
Sep 27, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I picked this book up years ago when I was teaching plants at a summer camp in the Oregon coast range, near the southern end of this books range. It was fantastic. Sure, the experts out there will use the Jepson guide, but this book hits the sweet spot for casual naturalists like me. The dichotomous trees are simplified so normal people can use them, and the full color photos are beautiful and really help with identification. Most importantly though, the authors have a knack for choosing the mos ...more
Nathan Waldren
Sep 14, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This is one of 3 books I keep in the truck with me no matter where I go. The other two are a field guide (noted elsewhere) and a USFS forest pathology text for this area. I ain't gonna be stumped by nothin', nohow! This book has been a standard of mine since 1996. My original copy is battered and beaten but still readable; the revised version is what I carry today. The "revisions" are mostly taxonomic or superficial, and I'm not greatly affected by either.
Marybeth
Jul 08, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A beautiful book of plants from our coastal area and also includes Alaska and Oregon (down to Eugene). It is so comprehensive and the pictures are great for identifying plants. Another score at a garage sale today, and I have already sat the evening going through the book. It has a good organization, which should help a person fairly easily identify a plant.
Grass_Roots Books and Music
This full-color, comprehensive field guide has easy-to-use keys and thorough description of not only each plant’s natural history, but its cultural significance and uses. Photographs are shown side by side with botanically accurate drawings to aid in identification. Taking this guide with you to the forest or field is the next best thing to having a pro botanist along.
Morgan Djuna Sorais Harrigan
This is the BEST plant identification guide for the Pacific North West I have ever seen. The photographs and drawings are clear and easy to apply to real plants. All of the notes about the plants are very well written and include facts about medicinal, food, and other uses. If you live in North West and love the outdoors, this book is very nice to have around.
Oceanscape Network
Sep 05, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Long considered one of the essential text for anyone interested in plants, its excellent photos and easy to use text make it ideal for experts and amateurs alike. For coastal explorers, its compact size means it'll fit easily into a backpack if you want to take it along on an excursion. But at the very least, you should have a copy sitting on your bookshelf in your home or your classroom.
tmll
Jan 05, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
this book is invaluable and friggin' hilarious. lots of solid information for accurate plant id'ing, tips and pointers for medicinal and edibles and thorough resource listings for more information. I particularly love the entry about wapato, a riparian root, that when improperly roasted, causes horrific farts.
Claudia Savage
Nov 15, 2008 rated it really liked it
Hmmmm, neophyte plant-girl goes to Oregon and seeks to figure out what the hell is surrounding her. I mean, what's with this moss? What is that? Bamboo? In the middle of the city? Rotting detritus everywhere and not a thought as to why the leaves are so gargantuan, so perfectly fluted to catch the waning light. Hence, the happiness of Pojar's guide in my backpack.
LINCCReviews
Jun 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent book for looking up plants that you find. It doesn't work that well as a guide to edibility and uses, but it's incredibly nice if you want to find out what it is that you're looking at. The color photos are very useful for determining as well. (Esoomister)
Debbie Teashon
Of all my NW native plant field guides this is my #1 g0-to guide. This is my second book that is worn and falling apart after using it for years. It replaced my first one for the same reason. Another one will be added to my library soon.
Nancy
I have several other plant identification books. This is the best one by far for my area (the central Oregon coast). The information beyond simple plant identification is exceptionally useful. I purchased the book in the late 1990's but I "read" it every year.
Tiffany
Nov 05, 2016 rated it really liked it
A good field guide for plants. I do wish it were easier to find things for people like me who really have no knowledge of what they're looking for, but I find the pictures helpful and it's the most comprehensive guide I've seen for the northwest.
Debbie
Mar 01, 2015 is currently reading it
I bought this book in Washington in August 2010. I've taken it with me on every trip to the Pacific Northwest. Reading it is ongoing, it's not really a book you read page to page, except maybe the intro.
Gina
Jun 27, 2008 rated it really liked it
I wish I could find a comparable book for plants in Wisconsin...I love the ethnobotany info., organized by families, good photos, user friendly...let me know if you can recommend something for the midwest!
Ryan
Jan 03, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: northwesterners
Obviously not as much use to my friends back east. But if you need to know about the flora around here, get this book. I'm taking it back east when I move to remind me that for every horrible Seattle driver there is a lovely Seattle tree.
Wendy Feltham
Jul 02, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
This is an outstanding reference book. I'll never be finished reading it and appreciating the brilliant research that went into its production. Every plant is explained botanically and culturally. This is a very special book.
A
Apr 08, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: nature, non-fiction
This is an indispensable guide book to the plants of the Pacific Northwest. As a transplant, this book has helped to identify a lot of the native plants in the region. It is a huge learning curve for me, and this book is one of my main references.
« previous 1 3 next »

• Botany in a Day: Thomas J. Elpel's Herbal Field Guide to Plant Families
  • All That the Rain Promises and More: A Hip Pocket Guide to Western Mushrooms
  • The Herbal Medicine-Maker's Handbook: A Home Manual
  • Mushrooms Demystified
  • Pacific Northwest Foraging: 120 Wild and Flavorful Edibles from Alaska Blueberries to Wild Hazelnuts
  • Pacific Northwest Medicinal Plants: Identify, Harvest, and Use 120 Wild Herbs for Health and Wellness
  • Plant Identification Terminology: An Illustrated Glossary
  • Mushrooms of the Pacific Northwest
  • Botany for Gardeners
  • Medicinal Plants of the Pacific West
  • The Sibley Guide to Birds
  • Love and War (North and South, #2)
  • North and South (North and South, #1)
  • Tombstone Courage (Joanna Brady, #2)
  • Alaska
  • The Cairo Trilogy: Palace Walk / Palace of Desire / Sugar Street (The Cairo Trilogy #1-3)
  • Overcoming Trauma through Yoga: Reclaiming Your Body