Start by marking “Prophets (Apotheosis, #1)” as Want to Read:
Prophets (Apotheosis, #1)

Prophets

(Apotheosis #1)

It’s been nearly 200 years since the collapse of the Confederacy, the last government to claim humanity’s colonies. So when signals come in revealing lost human colonies that could shift the power balance, the race is on between the Caliphate ships and a small team of scientists and mercenaries. But what awaits them all is a threat far beyond the scope of any human governm ...more
Published March 3rd 2009 by DAW (first published 2009)

Start your review of Prophets (Apotheosis, #1)
Kati
Aug 09, 2010 rated it liked it
A sprawling space opera with some amazingly vivid imagery. But also heavy on exposure and with downright unlikable characters blinded by their various dogmatic faiths. When it was not the Catholic Church, it was Islam or some cooked up religion. I really, very much dislike people driven by their religion's dogmas instead of common sense. That's why the only person I liked and rooted for, was Flynn. One character couldn't save the whole ensemble, though.

To sum it up, there are some really great i
Liviu
I have been a fan of the Moreau/Confederacy series since way back in the early 90's, read all 8 books so far (4 Moreau, 3 Takeover + Prophets), almost all on publication, and I have enjoyed all of them with some small niggles- the last Rajahstan book is a bit redundant, though it's good to see the "old" guy back, and the Takeover ending was too open for the whole host of mysteries introduced.

However this one picks up on Bakunin - the subject of the previous trilogy - and links with the original
Tony
Mar 26, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
This is the first book in the 3rd trilogy set in Swann's Moreau/Race universe. The first trilogy (collected in the Moreau Omnibus) is a favorite read of mine. Part detective story, part cyberpunk. The second series, Hostile Takeover, is more straight up science fiction. I have never been disappointed in Swann's writing. While it does not push any envelopes or break any new ground, they are entertaining.
new_user
Feb 09, 2010 marked it as to-read
Shelves: scifi
Should I assume the Muslims are the evil-doers in this one? ¬.¬
Benjamin Kahn
May 08, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: science-fiction
Really enjoyed this book. Stumbled upon a recommendation for it when I was looking up another book that I was reading and I'm really glad that I did. It's space opera - the characters are interesting, the plot moves at a good clip, and the world-building is all well-done. I like how Swann builds on religions that currently exist in his vision of the future. I don't have any real criticisms of this book - it was uniformly good.
Daniel (Attack of the Books!) Burton
S. Andrew Swann had me hooked before the last page of the prologue to Prophets. Mallory is a priest and former marine living a quiet life teaching at a university. Nicolai is outcast royalty, alone and disgraced on the anarchic world of Bakunin. Flynn is a societal reject because of his choice not to accept his culture’s norms. Tetsami is the ancestor that lives in Flynn’s mind. Parvi is the pilot and mercenary who is increasingly the pawn of events beyond her control. And all of them are about ...more
Cathy
More of a 2.5 really. There wasn't enough character or plot development to make it stand on it's own instead of being a clear continuation of the previous series. In fact, I picked it up before I realized it was related to the Hostile Takeover series and couldn't make heads or tails of the political and historical setting. After going back and reading the other series, this made sense, but it wasn't as good. There was something about the last series that kept me eager to turn the page, a strengt ...more
Mike
Sep 23, 2009 rated it really liked it
Prophets marks the first book in a new series from S. Andrew Swann set in the same universe as two of his previous series (Hostile Takeover and Moreau). Set several centuries in the future Prophets begins 200 years after the fall of the human Confederacy (an organizations of human planets and colonies) and where the Roman Catholic Church represents a powerful political force in the expansion of human influence in the galaxy. A rising power, the islamic Eridani Caliphate, is quickly gaining groun ...more
Les
Jun 23, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is an excellent book. This is the first book by this author for me. I picked it up because of how highly recommended he is. I can see why after reading this!
Plenty of action, good characters and a good plot with some great twists and turns. There's humans, aliens, advanced AI things and all of the good stuff. It's got all of the elements that I like in a good space opera. Like some other reviewers have said, it felt similar reading to Peter F. Hamilton's Nights Dawn trilogy - only shorter.
D.M. Dutcher
Jul 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
Brisk Space Opera surprisingly linked to his Moreau books. Deep in the future an egg-shaped artifact is traveling in space. Meanwhile, a human fused with a Race A.I. is investigating the anamoly it's causing. He has his own plans about it, and recruits a varied crew of mercs, including a Catholic spy, an apostate cyborg-tiger cast out of his world, a descendant of half human-half Moreau creations called Franks, and others.

This book is a quick set-up to the main conflict. It reads fast, but not
Brian Henderson
Mar 15, 2010 rated it it was ok
While I typically really enjoy anything Steve Swiniarski writes under any of his various pen-names, I found myself struggling through this book. It leapt between disparate groups of characters with little rhyme or reason and the religious aspects of it left me entirely cold. Maybe it's time that this particular "series" (or multi-series) ended and he moved on with something entirely different. At the moment, I can't be sure I'll bother picking up the next book, considering the bad taste this one ...more
Ed [Redacted]
Feb 18, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2012
Fun space opera with fairly interesting characters and a lot of good ideas. This book was so-so, pretty slow moving, for the first half then picked up momentum leading toward an ending that really sets this series up nicely. If this were a stand alone book I would be less enthusiastic, but as the opening book of at least a trilogy, it works well.
Tamahome
Feb 11, 2010 rated it really liked it
I read it on the strength of the beginning of the 2nd novel, Heretics. I was restless in the first half, but then it picked up. It's got some fun characters, an AI, a tiger-man, a man with another personality inside, a 'Protean', a priest/soldier, etc. He's already built up the world in 2 trilogies before this, Moreau & Hostile Takeover.
Joerg Grau
Aug 26, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Novels set in the world started in the Moreau series are again not disappointing. Another excellent novel by S. Andrew Swann, in a fascinating future. The end seems to be near....This is the first in an excellent series.
Roger Eschbacher
Jan 11, 2012 rated it really liked it
Set in the same universe as the "Hostile Takeover Trilogy" (200 years later), and in my opinion, even better written than the earlier books. Suspenseful, good hard sci fi, mixes in religion which always interests me. Looking forward to the second book in the trilogy.
Yev
This book was a really unfortunate situation. There are a considerable number of enjoyable parts, but the parts I didn't like I REALLY didn't like. I looked over the next books and confirmed that I wouldn't read them.
Calen
Sep 16, 2011 rated it liked it
Following the Hostile Takeover trilogy after the fall of the confedarcy; politics, religious wars, heretical technologies and foundation-esque social engineering running amuck. Will this trilogy live up to the first? No idea.
Susan
Apr 02, 2010 rated it liked it
A good read though not as memorable as the original Moreau series
Mike
Aug 29, 2012 rated it really liked it
It was an interesting read with well developed characters and a well developed world. It's not mind blowing, but it is an enjoyable read that won't disappoint.
Adam
Oct 02, 2020
Vierblij
Apr 14, 2013
Ninja*cookies
rated it did not like it
Sep 14, 2012

• The Predator: Hunters And Hunted Official Movie Prequel
  • Pacific Rim Uprising: Ascension
  • The Predator
  • Pacific Rim Uprising - Official Movie Novelization
  • Big Damn Hero (Firefly #1)
  • Finder (Finder Chronicles, #1)
  • Embers of War (Embers of War, #1)
  • We Could Be Heroes
  • Battle Ground (The Dresden Files, #17)
  • Nexus Uprising (Mass Effect: Andromeda, #1)
  • 100 Fathoms Below
  • A Demon in Silver (War of the Archons #1)
  • The Last Exodus
  • Orbs (Orbs #1)
  • Freedom's Fate (Freedom's Fire Book 6)
  • The Land: Forging (Chaos Seeds, #2)
  • Freedom's Fury (Freedom's Fire #2)
S. Andrew Swann is the primary pseudonym of Steven Swiniarski, who also writes as S.A. Swiniarski, Steven Krane, and S.A. Swann. ...more

Apotheosis (3 books)
  • Heretics (Apotheosis, #2)
  • Messiah (Apotheosis, #3)