Start by marking “Tales of Heresy (The Horus Heresy #10)” as Want to Read:
Tales of Heresy (The Horus Heresy #10)

Tales of Heresy

(The Horus Heresy #10)

When Horus the Warmaster rebelled against the Emperor, the ensuing civil war nearly destroyed the Imperium. War raged across galaxy, pitting Astartes against their battle-brothers in a struggle where death was the only victor.

Contents:
Dan Abnett - Blood Games
Matt Farrer - After Desh’ea
Mike Lee - Wolf at the Door
Graham McNeill - The Last Church
James Swallow - The Voice
Antho
Published March 31st 2009 by Games Workshop

To ask other readers questions about Tales of Heresy, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of Heresy

Vedant  Sharma
May 18, 2015 rated it really liked it
I am writing this review for one and ONLY one story. The Last Church by Graham McNeill. Trust me, if you think 40K is all about swords ripping through flesh and bone, you're wrong, well not entirely, it has that in gushing, flowing torrents of hot, warm and sticky blood, naught for naught do we Khronates chant BLOOD FOR THE BLOOD GOD (all CAPS DAMN YOU, KHORNE DEMANDS CAPS!!) but it also has this, a story where no one dies, and not a sword is lifted. This is a dialogue, pure and simple between o ...more
Periklis
Blood Games by Dan Abnett - 5/5 Excellent Custodes tale.

Wolf at the Door by Mike Lee - 3/5 Space Wolves versus Dark Eldar with a twist ending. A (thematic) prelude to the razing of Prospero storyline.

Scions of the Storm by Anthony Reynolds - 3/5 A Wordbearers tale. It follows the same formula of most Space Marines chapter stories. The chapter encounters an alien threat that exposes its morality, hinting at its future. Apart from that, we get to meet Lorgar for the first time.

The Voice by James S
Brian
Jan 06, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: warhammer-40k, sci-fi
In a short story collection I like to rate the story and then give an overall rating to the book itself. 4.5 stars

Dan Abnett - Blood Games ***** (Great author and who doesn't love a story about the Adeptus Custodes).
Matt Farrer - After Desh’ea ***** (Blown away. I had read Betrayer a few months ago and the juxtaposition of the final scene of it to this one is amazing. I never really liked Kharn in the tabletop game, but he is a really awesome character in these novels).
Mike Lee - Wolf at the Do
Jeff
Sep 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Preface: I usually shy away from anthologies. Not that anthologies are inherently “bad” or anything…but it seems to me that the stories either grab you and then drop you off at the next corner, anxiously wanting MORE…or really just fail to snag you in the first place. Anthologies tend to cater to a wider variety of subjects/ interests and I know my own tastes tend to be more focused.

In spite of this, Tales of Heresy is focused enough to be fun for anyone interested in delving more in to the extr
Daniel McGill
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
While at first glance it seems GW isn't advancing the main plot at an acceptable pace when you consider the shear scale of the story they really aren't doing too bad of a job, and so far all of the side trips have been at least entertaining. Decent of Angels seemed out of place before the publication of Fallen Angels despite the importance of the Dark Angels story in the time of the Heresy. Since Fallen Angels however I think the books' importance to, and place in the over all picture is more ob ...more
David
Dec 25, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: science-fiction
The best stories in my opinion were Wolf at the Door, Scions of the Storm, and the best of the collection, The Voice.
Dylan Murphy
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Blood Games by Dan Abnett:
Blood Games gives us some much needed insight into how the Custodian Guard operates on Terra during the Horus Heresy. The short starts with a Blood Game, where a CG test the defenses of the Imperial Palace, and later goes onto an investigation concerning a possible spy on Terra. Really riveting stuff.
4/5

Wolf at the Door by Mike Lee:
This is a story following the Space Wolves, pre-Prospero, and it is mighty fun. The Wolf Lord of the Thirteenth Great Company finds a small
Amanda ☕
Jul 28, 2018 rated it really liked it
Blood Games by Dan Abnett - 4/5
Wolf at the Door by Matt Farrer - 5/5, WOW!
Scions of the Storm by Anthony Reynolds - 2/5
The Voice by James Swallow - 5/5
Call of the Lion by Gav Thorpe - 2/5
The Last Church by Graham McNeill - 3/5
After Desh'ea by Matt Farrer - 5/5
Dave
Jun 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
The world of Games Workshop and Black Library's Warhammer 40,000 universe is so huge and rich that it's easy to think all of it's best stories would be big, sprawling epics. That's by no means true though. I've certainly read some fantastic novels, trilogies, and multi-book series, but “Tales of Heresy,” the 10th installment in “The Horus Heresy” series that chronicles the galaxy spanning civil war that shaped the current 40K time line, is a great reminder that some of the most powerful and ente ...more
Steve Trier
Nov 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Tales of Heresy, edited by Nick Kyme and Lindsey Priestley, is the tenth book in the Horus Heresy Series and is a collection of seven short stories, written by some of the series' authors. Originally I was just going to just write a review for the first story, but I instead decided to write on all seven. The setting is this: When Horus, the Warmaster, rebelled against the Emperor of Mankind, the ensuing civil war nearly destroyed the Imperium of Man. War raged across galaxy, pitting Space Marin ...more
Veronica Anrathi
Sep 18, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horus-heresy
Finally found time to finish a couple of the short stories from this anthology that I skipped back in the day. Satisfied with most of them, here are a few thoughts.
1. Dan Abnett - Blood Games - quite entertaining. This short gives us some insight on how Custodians operate and train. I personally always love to get to know them better, so i appreciated the data given, even though the story itself could've been deeper.

2. Mike Lee - Wolf at the Door - one of the stronger stories here. Sadly, Spac
Gabriel Baciu
Jan 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Comprised of several separate stories:
1. We are introduced to Custodians with a small appearance of the Imperial Fists and Rogal Dorn, in a small story connected to Horus’ betrayal. It’s overly descriptive, borderline boring, though the plot is nice. It could have been better.
2. This one is about the Iron Wolves encountering an alien race while trying to bring a human world to the fold. It’s fast paced, filled with action and breath taking moments. Loved it!
3. A story of Word Bearers, deception
Andrew Ziegler
Aug 04, 2011 rated it really liked it
Tales of Heresy is an interesting mix of short stories. They jump around in time and mood. A few of them occur even before the events that start in Horus Rising. Some old characters come back into play, and there is an awesome connection to one of the best 40K books written, (Angels of Darkness) Like most of the books in the series, I enjoyed a great portion of it. However, it was kind of a tease that it started pretty much on the tail end of Flight of the Eisenstein time line wise, but then jum ...more
Christian
May 20, 2011 rated it it was ok
Some good short stories that are clearly first parters and will conclude in another book. I really question the order and tempo of the stories, though. You should start AND finish strong. The last story in a collection should not be one that makes the reader go MEH. The very best story and I mean really head and shoulders above anything in the 40K universe I have read in a while was 'The Last Church' where the God Emperor of Mankind HIMSELF goes into the very last church on Terra and has a chat ...more
Mitchell Bird
Sep 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Back to the Heresy after my Mistborn break. I finished Tales of Heresy by various authors. This is my review and thoughts over the work as a whole. Please comment your thoughts and whatnot that you have over the work.

•I’m doing this a little different from my other reviews. Since this is a collection of short stories I’m going to state a couple thoughts over each story and give them their own individual review and score. I will then talley up the scores and give the work an average based off of
Ebster Davis
Sep 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I never would have read this book if a friend hadn't suggested it. At first reading, the stories seemed bogged down by the vivid descriptions that litter every page. But as I continued reading, I discovered that these descriptions allow the reader to quickly become immersed in the world without the hindrance of a lengthy introduction. (By the time the characters were introduced, I felt like I knew them personally)

Each story has different characters in different situations. The stories aren't o
Steve Chaput
Jul 02, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great collection of short stories that deal with the beginnings of the Heresy. Different authors show how various groups from Astartes to the Sisters of Silence and others react. Frightening to see how easy some will switch a life-long allegiance while others will remain loyal despite a possible bad end.

With so much of the WH-40K series taking place centuries in the future, it is interesting to see how the Heresy shifted things thoughout the Empire. This gets a solid recommendation from me.

Taddow
Nov 27, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: warhammer-40-000
This was a great collection of Warhammer 40,000 short stories- some are better than others (The Voice was great, as well as the story about the Space Wolves fighting the Dark Eldar). Overall a good read.
Vince Tirri
Apr 10, 2013 rated it did not like it
This was painful to read, as demonstrated by the length of time it took me to finish it. It does nothing to advance the plot of the HH series, and should be skipped. What a waste.
Alexander Draganov
Feb 22, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Full five stars for Tales of the Heresy. Wonderful collection of short stories, almost all of them instant classics with "The Last Church" by McNeill being the best.
Oliver
Mar 17, 2010 rated it liked it
Not bad, but none of the stories particularly grabbed me
Daleios
Mar 09, 2017 rated it it was amazing
(view spoiler) ...more
Steve
Dec 10, 2018 rated it really liked it
This may actually be the best entry so far for someone who knows very little about the Horus Heresy/Warhammer 40,000 universe, and wants to get a sense of what it's like. I was unexcited going into this one - I'm not often a fan of short story collections, but I was pleasantly surprised.

The first story, "Blood Games," is probably the weakest of the bunch, and is the biggest reason I'd hesitate recommending this one to someone new. It was well written, with some cool imagery, but it also focuses
Craig Little
Mar 12, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: gaming-books
As usual, the caveat "for gaming fiction" applies. The 3 star rating averages out for each of the individual tales within this volume.

---

"Blood Games," by Dan Abnett
Our first real look at the Adeptus Custodes as well as a treatise on the nature of espionage, deception and where the line between the two blurs.

Abnett's typical fast paced style really loans itself to the short story format and thus not a word is wasted in the tale. The backdrop, principles and plot are outlined in prose that's ab
Kaohlir
Jun 13, 2010 rated it really liked it
Philip
Mar 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: entertainment
Julia Langnes
Mar 12, 2019 rated it liked it
Friend lent the book to me, and told me to read Wolf at the Door, and The Last Church, as they required the least knowledge of the lore. I thoroughly enjoyed both, but especially The Last Church, as the content and the method of storytelling appealed to me more. These stories are dramatic af, with a fab balance between sci fi and fantasy. The best from each genre, although it is more fantasy set in sci fi, than actual sci fi if you get my drift. The only thing that pulled it down for me was the ...more
Bob Cline
This is the first collection of Horus Heresy short stories.

Blood Games introduces us to the inner workings of the Adeptus Custodes. The first part is a test of the Imperial Palace's defenses by one of the Custodes working under cover. The second has the same Custodes trying to bring a suspected traitor to justice but discovering that there are more games afoot than he had suspected.

Wolf at the Door follows a small group of Space Wolves as they defend a world that has not joined the Imperium yet
Aleksejs Miščuks
Aug 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This is my first collected stories book in HH series, and it definitely did deliver. A diverse collection of stories from different POV of many different characters. I never thought i'd start to sympathize the World Eaters and their Primarch until i've read "After Desh'ea", the "Blood Games" is the first time i've read a story about Custodes from their viewpoint, I haven't read the "First Heretic" yet, but i already hate Lorgar after "Scions of the storm", and the best of these stories is defini ...more
David Pappas
Feb 15, 2019 rated it did not like it
Some of the stories were better than others, although thats not saying much. It was hard to tell who the bad guys were at first. Horus doesn't even make an appearance despite the hype - he's the good guy right? The Emperor is the bad guy, right? Despite the Emperor's minions POV. The unevenness of the stories was bothersome. The lack of any compelling plot in most of the entries was horrid. It is almost like the various authors waited until the week before the deadline to begin writing their cha ...more
« previous 1 3 4 next »

• Age of Darkness (The Horus Heresy #16)
  • Nemesis (The Horus Heresy #13)
  • The Outcast Dead
  • Prospero Burns (The Horus Heresy #15)
  • Fallen Angels (The Horus Heresy #11)
  • The First Heretic (The Horus Heresy #14)
  • Deliverance Lost
  • Battle for the Abyss (The Horus Heresy #8)
  • Descent of Angels (The Horus Heresy #6)
Nick Kyme (b. 1977) writes mostly for Black Library. His credits include the popular Salamanders series and several audio dramas.

The Horus Heresy (1 - 10 of 91 books)
  • Horus Rising (Horus Heresy #1)
  • False Gods (Horus Heresy #2)
  • Galaxy in Flames (The Horus Heresy #3)
  • The Flight of the Eisenstein (The Horus Heresy #4)
  • Fulgrim (The Horus Heresy #5)
  • Descent of Angels (The Horus Heresy #6)
  • Legion (The Horus Heresy #7)
  • Battle for the Abyss (The Horus Heresy #8)
  • Mechanicum (The Horus Heresy #9)
  • Fallen Angels (The Horus Heresy #11)