Start by marking “Rumi: Past and Present, East and West” as Want to Read:
Rumi: Past and Present, East and West

Rumi: Past and Present, East and West

Going beyond the limits of biography, this text covers the origins, spiritual context and teachings of the great founder of the Whirling Dervishes, but also includes a study of Rumi scholarship throughout the ages, bringing this volume right up to date.
Published March 1st 2000 by One World (UK) (first published 2000)

To ask other readers questions about Rumi, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Rumi

Irving Karchmar
Mar 25, 2013 rated it it was amazing
An astounding work of scholarship by Dr. Lewis, which brings Rumi, his father, his son, Shams i Tabriz, and the entire world of medieval Konya to life in this monumental biography of Rumi and the Mevlevi Sufi Order he founded. I keep rereading it just for the pleasure of the easy and accessible writing, and cannot but thank the author for bringing a real understand of the man and his times and the depth of his vast literary achievements to lovers of Rumi's poetry. Highly recommended!
サラ サラ
Jul 14, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I love going back to this book time and again.This work is definitely a standard reference for Rumi fans. A beautiful book, Indeed!!
Jeff
Just reading in this again. I don't see how it can be over-praised. I'm not a scholar of East Asian literatures, nor a comparative medievalist, so I speak with no authority more than a sincere desire to move closer to Rumi's vast oeurve, in English, sorting through the issues of Persian as scrupulously as can a non-native speaker. Lewis' approach is meticulously documented, and beautifully researched. His own translations are not ones I frequently return to, however, as evidence of his translati ...more
christopher leibow
Mar 09, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Anyone who reads Rumi
Anyone who loves the poems of Rumi only understand a fraction of Rumi's power. Without knowing Rumi the man, we only get a partial glimpse of the man. This is an exhaustive biography about the poet with great insights to the time he lived and the man in context to his time.

The first 80 page are dry and overly scholarly but once you get past them, the book becomes enjoyable.
John
Jan 08, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very in depth! Lewis covers everything you ever wanted to know about Rumi.
بثينة
العمل عبارة عن بحث موسوعي ولم يكن في الواقع ماأبحث عنه. كنت أبحث عن سيرة مبسطة عن حياة الرومي . يظل الجهد المبذول من الكاتب والمترجم كبيرا جدا.
Sunny
Aug 29, 2015 rated it really liked it
This was one MASSIVE read!
This kind of scholarly work tires me really, but it reflected huge amounts of hard work being put in for making it such a detailed and widespread kind of biography, with attempts of shrinking in maximum domains of the subject.

Mostly i had to drag myself through the never ending pages of this 700+ pager but i am grateful for i learnt Rumi's story, his lineage and further succession. Also, my most loved chapters of the book were "Shams-ud-Din Tabrizi", "The Poems" and t
Jan van Leent
Aug 24, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: poetry, religion
Impressive study and a must read to understand the life and poems by Rumi (Jalal al-Din)

By reading this study, I understood that Rumi was born in Balkh (currently located in Afghanistan) in 1207 AC. His family had to flee for the Huns - several years later Balkh was sacked by the Huns. Their journey had led via Mecca and Damascus to Konya (Turkey) where his father and later Rumi received a position as religieus jurist and teacher. Konya was regarded by the Islamic world as part of the Roman Empi
Nazmi Yaakub
Ulasan buku ini sudahpun ditulis dan disiarkan di ruangan Buku di BH. Saya tidak bercadang untuk menulis ulasan yang baharu dalam masa terdekat tetapi secara keseluruhannya buku ini wajib dibaca dalam memahami bukan saja naratif Maulana Jalaluddin Rumi atas kapasitinya sebagai tokoh sufi, ulama besar dan penyair mistik dari tradisi Parsi-Islam, bahkan melihat pelbagai sisi daripada kehidupan peribadinya dan secara kolektif atas nama tradisi sufi dan tarikat al-Maulawiyah atau Mevlevi (bergantung ...more
Luca
Aug 30, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
For anybody with any interest in Jalal al-Din Rumi and everything related, this is the definitive guide. The amount of information collected in this book is staggering. Some chapters are more relevant to my interests than others and I spent time taking plenty of notes. Some chapters are less important to me but still very interesting to read. I cannot remember the last time when I read 650 pages of non-fiction this quick!
Mary
Jun 11, 2015 rated it liked it
Incredibly dense with reference material. I am more interested in what Rumi has said and his influence then who said what about Rumi and if they were correct. Of course, it is good to know that Rumi history is not particularly accurate but that's not surprising or particularly interesting to me. Had to dig deep to get to rumi's philosophy itself.
Esra
Jan 24, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: other-worlds
Cok zengin bir arastirma, Mevlana'nin yasami, ogretileri, Mevlevi tarikati hakkinda hem Türkiye'de hem de dünyanin dört bir yaninda yapilan tüm ciddi gruplari yazmis, 2008de yayinlanmis oldugundan neredeyse 10 yillik ...önemli bir referans kitap. Idris sah'a atilan tasa da bayildim...Kabalci'nin en faydali kitaplarindan.
Muhammad Imran
Jun 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A thought provoking piece of work by Lewis. This is a must read for those whose hearts are in search of real soul relief and happiness. Matchless ... !!!
Tom Walsh
this mysterious writer is chronicled in sections which can be read separately, or together.
Aamir Raja
  • Jean-Paul Sartre: A Life
  • Filsafat Ilmu: Perspektif Barat dan Islam
  • Walt Whitman: A Life
  • The Testimony Of Steve Biko: Black Consciousness in South Africa
  • Tales of the Dervishes: Teaching Stories of the Sufi Masters Over the Past Thousand Years
Franklin D. Lewis is an Associate Professor of Persian Language and Literature in the Department of Near Eastern Languages and Civilizations at the University of Chicago and Deputy Director of the Center for Middle Eastern Studies at the University of Chicago. He teaches classes on Persian language and literature, Islamic thought, Sufism, Baha'i Studies, translation studies, and Middle Eastern cin ...more