Start by marking “Dragonbreath (Dragonbreath, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dragonbreath (Dragonbreath, #1)

Dragonbreath

(Dragonbreath #1)

It's not easy for Danny Dragonbreath to be the sole mythical creature in a school for reptiles and amphibians?especially because he can't breathe fire like other dragons (as the school bully loves to remind him). But having a unique family comes in handy sometimes, like when his sea-serpent cousin takes Danny and his best iguana friend on a mindboggling underwater tour, co ...more
Published June 11th 2009 by Dial Books

To ask other readers questions about Dragonbreath, please sign up.

paula
It's possible that my opinion of this book has been influenced by the appearance in my bed this morning (at, possibly, 7am, I don't know, I didn't have my glasses on yet), of a seven-year-old who wasn't interested in it when I suggested it to him yesterday at the library, but who had apparently woken up, read the whole book, and now needed to synopsize it for me, read the funniest passages out loud, and tell me that he needs the next book in the series RIGHT NOW.

Full review on Pink Me: http://pi
Betsy
May 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
Blame Babymouse. Why not? Babymouse, for those of you unfamiliar with the series, is the hot pink infused graphic novel sensation that has boys and girls alike wrapped tightly up in the time and trials of a little mouse with messy whiskers and a weakness for a good cupcake. No one anticipated the massive success of the series, and since its creation there have been multiple attempts to topple it from its throne. Terms like "it's the new Babymouse" have been many, but until now no comic booky-lik ...more
Boni
Feb 16, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: chapter-mg
I thought this would be a no-brainer for my 8 yo son who is not a reader. Unfortunately, although the attractive format and size and concept scream "reluctant reader", the voice does not. My son read a few pages and wouldn't go any farther. So I read it and it wasn't hard to see why- the voice is just not accessible enough for the reader this book will attract. An example sentence: "Mr. Dragonbreath's boss had brought in three motivational speakers in the last month to talk to all the employees ...more
Praxedes
May 19, 2011 rated it really liked it
What a cute book! It creates a humorous and instructive atmosphere by combining a field trip with adventure. It was never boring even though the subject matter has been covered to death --kudos to Vernon for getting it right. Great for kids grades 5-8.
Scope
Mar 17, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2009
It seems like lately, illustration has been making all sorts of inroads into what was once text-only territory. You can’t go very far in a library or bookstore these days without coming across some new-fangled marriage between these two mediums. My Unwilling Witch, Frankie Pickle, Prince of Underwhere, Max Disaster, and (of course) the Diary of a Wimpy Kid series have all combined words and images in ways that have left catalogers in fits (Which shelf does this go on!?). Dragonbreath, by Ursula ...more
Erin
I'm not sure if "realistic fantasy" is a genre, but this is it. The book is about Danny Dragonbreath (who is having trouble with his fire-breathing skills), and his iguana best friend. Also featured is a komodo dragon as the bully, and a sea serpent as the helpful cousin who helps Danny with his report on the ocean. There's elements of Calvin and Hobbes here (think potato salad that comes alive), as well as every other elementary school realistic fiction narrative (homework, bullying, friendship ...more
Tristen
May 21, 2017 rated it did not like it
I decided to read this book because my brother liked this series. The book was extremely cheesy and I realized that the plot was very simple. It was filled with cheap comedy and bad jokes. I understand why my brother would like it, but I personally think it's not a good book. It fits the interests of young children, and I do not recommend this book to people in middle school, but someone in a lower grade may enjoy it.
Gideon
Jan 17, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: animals
danny dragonbreath and wendell go to visit edward to complete a project about the sea.they went thew a lot of trouble with sea anamales.he did not know how to breath fire untill wendell and danny fight a squid and danny breath fire but it turns in to seam right away
Rebecca
Dec 06, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: library
Ursula Vernon is becoming a new favorite. This is the start of a young children's series told in a mix of chapters and comic panels, all about Danny Dragonbreath's struggles. Danny is the only actual dragon at a school for reptiles, he's a creative/daydreamer who has practical parents, teachers who don't appreciate his creativity, and he's bullied at school.

In this case Danny dreams of being a pirate and writes about Snorklebats (adorable) but it doesn't win him any favor with his teacher, so h
Lynne
This is a delightful kid's book about Danny the Dinosaur, his best friend Wendell, and an adventure where Danny will do anything (including deep sea exploration) to get out of writing a report about the ocean.

Full of nonsequitors, humor, and the occasional giant squid. Deals with bullying, best friends, and trying to learn things and not always succeeding.

Charming.
Ian
Sep 20, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's for the that have a wild imagination and that like short chapter books.
Aurora
Jul 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I loved your book a lot, I’m glad I bought it. Your book was awesome!
Karissa
Dec 30, 2010 rated it really liked it
This is a cute little graphic novel/book. It is definitely intended for younger children and does a good job of teaching while it tells a fun story. This would probably be a good book for any reluctant readers out there. It is aimed a bit more at boys than girls, but either should enjoy it.

Danny is a dragon who can't breathe fire and who has a bit of trouble getting his homework done. Danny and his pal Wendell, contact Danny's cousin Edward the seaserpent for some help on Danny's paper about the
Kellee
Oct 28, 2009 rated it liked it
Danny Dragon is the only dragon in a school of reptiles and amphibians. This would be no problem for most dragons, but Danny isn't like most dragons- he hasn't learned to breath fire yet... This leaves Danny open and vulnerable to bullies. TO make matters worse, Danny got his first "F" on a paper for science class and has to actually do some research on the ocean. Of course, Danny can't just go to the library and do some research, he has to go about things the hard way... Read to find out if Dan ...more
Kristen
Jan 10, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I really got a kick out of this book. It's half graphic novel, half chapter book format. It features different creatures, including our main character who is a dragon. Only, he's having some problems learning how to breathe fire. When him and his best friend take a tour of the ocean with his cousin, a sea-serpent, he manages to almost breathe fire - only he's underwater.. so it sizzles out right away. The water is full of fascinating and frightening creatures, but will Danny survive to write his ...more
Alex Berg
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fantasy, kids
I read this chapter by chapter to my five year old every night, and he loved it. He recalled exactly where we'd left off and was eager to read the next chapter every night, which is a first for chapter books. (Our only other foray into a 'real' book had been a pretty spectacular failure.) The addition of graphic novel sections amidst the regular book elements I think helped him focus and softened the transition from picture books. Overall, a great read, I suspect more for boys than girls. There' ...more
ambyr
Worth it for the illustrations alone, which are completely adorable (but if you know Vernon, that comes as no surprise). The text is occasionally a little info-dumpy for an adult reader--very "here is a list of cool facts about the ocean, kids! isn't science neat?"--but since the intended audience is, in fact, kids, I can't really hold that against it. I doubt it would have bothered me when I was eight, anyway.

The potato salad subplot is probably my favorite part.
Kristen
Sep 17, 2015 rated it really liked it
I read this a long time ago but must have forgotten to add it. This is a cute adventure story that's part graphic novel, part text about a little dragon kid who hasn't been able to breathe fire yet, which is very frustrating for him. He and his friends go under the sea on an adventure. It's funny, the action moves quickly, and the mixed format works well. This should be appreciated by people who like Frankie Pickle, or funny fantasy graphic novels like Salem Hyde or Rutabaga the Adventure Chef.
Becky
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I now know why my lower level reader like this book and it does not stay on the shelf. It is a cute story that is a good next step after the babymouse series. This offers more text and more of a storyline, but the graphics in this do hook the reader. I think it is time to get a few more of the Dragonbreath books at the schools.
Lindsey Kay
Dec 18, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: for-the-kiddos
This is a great book for kids just starting on chapter books. I bought it to read at bedtime but my son asked for it after school as well, and has since read it to himself many times. I have to confess that I really got into it myself and almost immediately bought the whole series. The illustrations have great personality and the story is engaging. Strongly recommended!
babyhippoface
Feb 11, 2011 rated it really liked it
Part novel, part comic, this first in a series is fun, funny, and has some terrific educational bits about ocean life thrown in, as well. I'm wondering whether they will all be somewhat educational, or if it was just this one. I predict it will be VERY popular at school.

Oklahoma Sequoyah Masterlist 2012
Fi's Journey
I really enjoyed Ursula's other middle-grade novel Castle Hangnail.

This one was a quick and fun read. It had some funny moments as well but I'm unsure to continue the series as there are more interesting books to read.
Danielle Hammelef
Jul 02, 2017 rated it really liked it
This book has fun illustrations throughout that add so much humor to the already comedic voice of the narrator. I had fun learning about life under the sea too. Highly recommended for girls and boys and would also be a fun book to read along with your kids.
Josh
~read for young readers publishing class~
Jasmine
Sep 11, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Science! Snark! Pictures! A sea serpent who's friends with a sperm whale!

This book has everything.
Lynn
Mar 16, 2014 added it
Started reading this series with my 8 year old this fall. They are cute and they language is not watered down so it gives lots of opportunity to increase vocab as well as entertain.
Liam Murphy
Mar 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
Nicole Lundrigan
Jan 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing
An adorable series - pages full of witty text and illustrations. I'm reading the books with one of my children - and we are both really enjoying them.
Lance Janik
Aug 24, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Funny all I can say is funny it was fun to read and it justis a great book
Madissen
Dec 25, 2015 rated it it was ok
i did not like it at all and it did not feel like that was my level it felt like it was a T level.
Goodreads Librari...: additions to series 2 17 Jun 22, 2015 03:44PM

• Frankie Pickle and the Closet of Doom (Frankie Pickle, #1)
  • SPHDZ (Spaceheadz, #1)
  • How to Grow Up and Rule the World, by Vordak the Incomprehensible (Vordak #1)
  • Super Amoeba (Squish, #1)
  • Super Chicken Nugget Boy and the Furious Fry
  • The Curse of the Bologna Sandwich (Melvin Beederman Superhero, #1)
  • Salt Water Taffy, vol. 1: The Legend of Old Salty
  • Big Bad Detective Agency
  • Attack of the Fluffy Bunnies
  • Binky the Space Cat
  • Hamster and Cheese
  • Owly, Vol. 3: Flying Lessons (Owly, #3)
  • Herbert's Wormhole
  • Lunch Lady and the League of Librarians (Lunch Lady, #2)
  • The Flying Beaver Brothers and the Evil Penguin Plan
  • Doodlebug: A Novel in Doodles
  • Zombiekins
Ursula Vernon is a freelance writer, artist and illustrator. She is best known for the webcomic Digger and the children's books Dragonbreath and Nurk: The Strange, Surprising Adventures of a (Somewhat) Brave Shrew. Ursula is also a prolific painter and the creator of the Biting Pear of Salamanca, a work which became an internet meme in the form of the "LOL WUT" pear.

Ursula's cover for Best in Show

Dragonbreath (1 - 10 of 11 books)
  • Attack of the Ninja Frogs (Dragonbreath, #2)
  • Curse of the Were-wiener (Dragonbreath, #3)
  • Lair of the Bat Monster (Dragonbreath, #4)
  • No Such Thing as Ghosts (Dragonbreath, #5)
  • Revenge of the Horned Bunnies (Dragonbreath, #6)
  • When Fairies Go Bad (Dragonbreath, #7)
  • Nightmare of the Iguana (Dragonbreath, #8)
  • The Case of the Toxic Mutants (Dragonbreath, #9)
  • Knight-napped! (Dragonbreath, #10)
  • The Frozen Menace (Dragonbreath, #11)