Start by marking “King of Ithaca (Adventures of Odysseus, #1)” as Want to Read:
King of Ithaca (Adventures of Odysseus, #1)

King of Ithaca (Adventures of Odysseus #1)

3.88  ·  Rating details ·  739 Ratings  ·  58 Reviews
Eperitus, a young Greek warrior, encounters a group of men being attacked by mercenaries. In helping the outnumbered soldiers, he unwittingly comes to the aid of Odysseus, Prince of Ithaca. And so begins the friendship - and the adventure - of a lifetime.
Published June 6th 2008 by MacMillan (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about King of Ithaca, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about King of Ithaca

Greg at 2 Book Lovers Reviews
Homer with a twist. Glyn Iliffe has taken Homer’s epic poems and retold them (not translated) in a modern way.

The King of Ithaca begins ten years before the famous war and twenty years before the infamous Trojan Horse. He has introduced a new character to the mix, Eperitus, an honorable warrior from the north of Greece. Eperitus befriends the hero, Odysseus, earning his trust and confidence. The story is told from his perspective giving us an inside view to the events building up to the Trojan
Neeke
Jun 25, 2011 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Definitely not what I hoped it would be. It looked promising, historical fiction, lots of action, and most important: Odysseus! It's a miracle not more fiction is written about Odysseus and his adventures, so I had my hope on this series.
.. but wat was it disappointing. Also the last time I trust users reviews "If you loved David Gemmell's Troy series, you'll love this book". I loved the Troy series, but comparing this to it, that's a huuuuge insult. Doesn't even come close.

It started OK-ish, b
Gina K
I had initially given up on this book and I know only now how much of a mistake that actually was.
Over the past week I have managed to stumble through the tale of Eperitus and Odysseus and I have come to the conclusion that this book is actually very interesting - and that it may even be worth my reading the rest of the series. It is for this reason that I have decided to turn my initial one star review into three stars - for while it was undoubted that this book was one which did begin in rath
Terri
Jul 16, 2010 rated it liked it
This book was a little disappointing. It wasn't a bad book, but for my tastes, it lacked a little spark. I never felt anything for the characters or the story. Some parts, the parts centred on Greek mythology, I found enjoyable though so all was not lost. However, there weren't enough of them to squeeze another star out of me to make this a 4 star book. It is a very definite 3 star book for me.
Donmar
Glyn Iliffe wrote the book and it is the first part of his series about the life and adventures of the Greek hero Odysseus. As a student of Classical Studies, I always believed that authors or movie directors should always be chronologically accurate about their writings or their films about ancient histories and mythologies. That simply because people, who doesn’t study Classics, can easily say to their children and grandchildren that Herakles was the squeaky-clean hero that Disney World was tr ...more
Paul Bennett
Sep 23, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
King of Ithaca is the first book in this series about the Greek warrior and hero Odysseus. The story begins with Laertes still the King but there is a revolt brewing that threatens to remove Laertes and his line as the royal family. Odysseus is consulting the oracle on Mt. Parnassus about his future. It is this journey where he meets the other main protagonist of the book, Eperitus, an exiled prince looking to find glory under a new lord. The Odysseus in this story is not portrayed in the Homeri ...more
Adam
May 22, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this first novel in Glyn Iliffe's historical fantasy series about Odysseus and the Trojan War. Partly because he writes how I like to write and what I like to read but also for his great ability to recreate a sense of the ancient world. Glyn does not shy away from bringing the gods into the story which adds a whole other dimension to the novels. The characters are also very human. I would highly recommend the books in this series. Be sure to read them in order.
Graham
Jul 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
A gutsy and compelling retelling of the life and times of Odysseus, beginning with his wooing of the Princess Penelope and his attempts to suppress a revolt on his beloved island kingdom of Ithaca. This is the first in what promises to be a long-running series encompassing the Trojan War and all manner of mythical adventures on top of that.

The story of Odysseus has long been a popular one, with the hero showing up in film, television and novels over and over again. Despite the familiarity of the
Sabina
Nov 03, 2011 rated it liked it

First book in a series retelling the story of Odysseus and the war at Troy. There are many versions of this classic epic and I read a fair few of them over the years. This one is by no means my favourite, but it is a competent, detailed and interesting and I'm looking forward to continuing this series. In this installment, we meet Odysseus as a young man, about to take on the responsibilities for his small kingdom. I like this Odysseus; he is a thoughtful, intelligent character, trying
Kost As
Oct 15, 2015 rated it really liked it
Το King of Ithaca με εξέπληξε θετικά, μπορώ να πω! Καταρχάς να ξεκινήσω λέγοντας ότι οτιδήποτε αρχαιοελληνικό με συναρπάζει!! Πήλινο πιατάκι βλέπω σε μουσείο και βουρκώνω! Οπότε, όταν έχω ένα βιβλίο, του οποίου η ιστορία εκτυλίσσεται στην Αρχαία Ελλάδα πριν τον Τρωικό Πόλεμο, είναι σίγουρο ότι θα μου αρέσει! Οι ήρωες είναι γνωστοί από την Α' και Β' Γυμνασίου, αλλά ο κ. Glyn Iliffe έχει φτιάξει και άλλους, όπως για παράδειγμα ο κεντρικός ήρωας, ο Ηπείρητος! Η σκιαγράφηση των ηρώων είναι αρκετά κα ...more
K
Aug 15, 2012 rated it liked it
This one started out promising, and ended okay, but there was just so much unwanted information (do I really need two pages of someone putting on makeup?). If a hundred pages had been cut out this would have been great. Once I employed my skim reading techniques I was able to finish. I read another review of this book where they made the comment that all the men are described as handsome, so while reading the book, that became annoying. When the story focused on Odysseus it was compelling, but i ...more
Margaret
Was expecting historical fiction whilst this is actually historical fantasy. Not in the mood to deal with cranky goddesses at the moment.

May try again some other time.
Jeanne
DNF like 60 pages in.

I'm not gonna lie, the 60 or so pages that I did read really dragged on. I might have not minded if I had found myself invested in the characters or the plot but nothing really enticed me to continue on.

As far as I can tell the protagonist lacks a personality, and I don't particularly like the changes made to the characters that I do know well.

Also, on a more personal note: why do the characters keep referring to Greece? As a concept Greece doesn't exist yet, and no one wou
Reader
Sep 19, 2017 rated it liked it
Setting/Premise: 3/5:
The story of Ulises is well-known, perhaps a bit less so its origins, what was before he became the King of Ithaca.

Style: 2/5.
Somehow amateurish, but not to the point of becoming unpleasant to read.

Characters: 2/5: Main characters are flat and with very limited personalities, lacking of ethos and guided by simple, direct and (occasionally) unconvincing motivations. Almost every secondary male character is virtually undistinguesable from each other.

Plot: 3/5: Simple and stra
Mia
Jun 10, 2017 rated it liked it
An young exile befriends Odysseus and shares in his adventures.
It was a pretty good book. The author had lots of detail, carefully provided world building, and character development. I picked this book up for some Greek history. I was disappointed that the main story was completely fictional. An invasion of Ithaca didn't happen, it helps the author build up relationships before the whole Troy incident.
Nathan Stevens
May 23, 2017 rated it really liked it
A nice little romp through Ancient Greek myth following an outsider called Eperitus, who manages to join the inner circle of Odysseus, Prince of Ithaca. A fun and interesting background to famous stories to come later in the series including the Trojan war and Helen of Troy (currently Helen of Sparta in this book).
David Miles
Jan 20, 2017 rated it really liked it
I almost didn't read this because of some of the negative reviews on Goodreads. Which would have been a mistake.

I liked this book. Read it - You won't be disappointed if you love heroic Greek mythology.
Wesley Barrentine
Great book!

Good backstory and character development. Odysseus was always a favorite character of mine in all the stories of The battle for Troy and this author didn't disappoint in capturing his renown.
Daniel Jobling
Aug 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Brilliant

I can't lie I didn't expect a lot of this book but it added new life and imagination to a tale we have all heard a thousand times
Martin Murphy
Dec 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
Enjoyable read, you need to stick with it in places but worth it at the end.
Trekscribbler
Mar 11, 2014 rated it really liked it
For as long as I can recall, I’ve been fascinated by the trials of Odysseus. I can remember being introduced to the character all the way back in the fifth grade when one of my history teachers brought in to class a series of filmstrips (you kids can Google that) depicting his adventures in the Trojan War and throughout the resulting epic, THE ODYSSEY. His was a grand adventure, one fraught with all measure of hardship, sacrifice, and derring-do.

My interest in THE ILIAD and THE ODYSSEY took me i
Julie
Jul 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
King of Ithaca

A good read from Glyn Iliffe. This book is set during the times of Homer's Iliad and Odyssey book. Plan on reading the next book in the series.
Iset
Mar 30, 2011 rated it really liked it
I’ve been reading a lot of Troy fiction recently which has been hovering around the 8 or 7 out of 10 mark – recognisably well-written, definitely enjoyable, but just missing that extra something, that je ne sais quoi; maybe it’s a flair in the writing, or a subtle complexity to the characters, or a compelling grip to the plot. In the case of this book, it’s hard to say what’s missing. The descriptions are thoughtful, the action is pacy and demanding, the plot adds interesting new twists to the c ...more
Panagiotis
Jul 19, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Michelle Beddows
Jan 16, 2017 rated it liked it
Surprisingly good. Usually not my kind of story telling but I enjoyed reading this.
Tee
Aug 12, 2013 rated it it was ok
When I picked up this book from Chapters, I was excited to jump right in and start reading. Unfortunately that excitement waned significantly once I opened it. The writing style is very overbearing; Iliffe spends more time describing things than developing his characters or progressing the plot.

I found it very easy to predict what was going to happen next, mostly due to his attempts at foreshadowing. This meant, for a tale dependent on its battle scenes and gore, there was very little suspense c
Arun Divakar
Jun 22, 2014 rated it liked it
Any reader fascinated with mythology and lore will tend to return to literary landscapes which are open to reinterpretation. This could be Hogwarts or Middle Earth or Kurukshetra or even the fields of Troy depending on the tastes of the reader. While I have not read a completely unabridged version of the Iliad or the Odyssey, most characters are familiar to me in their glory and flaws. This novel is the first in a series of books that detail the story of the wily King of Ithaca : Odysseus.

Being
Ana
Apr 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Can someone please explain to me why did I ever stop reading books on Greek mythology?!?!? I don't know what happened to me in 2012, but I promise to be faithful in 2013. Honest!

King of Ithaca is the first book of the Adventures of Odysseus series. In this book, Glyn Iliffe helps Homer fill the blanks on the Ithacan warrior's early years as a prince. The book tells the story of how Odysseus met Penelope and became the King of Ithaca, viewed through the eyes of Eperitus, an exiled prince from
Melody
Aug 22, 2014 rated it liked it
I have been waiting for a series that chronicles the entire Trojan War for a very long time. I tried David Gemmel's Troy and well if only it had ANYTHING to do with the actual story of Troy, it might have been good. I found a later book in this series in the bargain section of Chapters and once I realized it was a series - I bought the rest of it on ebook. I was pumped!

Then I started reading. Glyn Iliffe is a total Trojan War fanboy - which is fine because I'm a total fangirl, but this series, w
  • Memnon
  • The War at Troy
  • Tyrant (Tyrant, #1)
  • Dawn Of Empire (Eskkar Saga, #1)
  • Caligula (Rufus, #1)
  • Warrior in Bronze (Agamemnon #1)
  • Rome: The Emperor's Spy (Rome, #1)
  • The Pericles Commission (The Athenian Mysteries, #1)
  • Hannibal: Enemy of Rome (Hannibal, #1)
  • Fall of Kings (Troy, #3)
  • Tribune of Rome (Vespasian, #1)
  • At the Palaces of Knossos
  • Ship of Rome (Masters of the Sea, #1)
  • Wounds of Honour (Empire, #1)
  • Attila (Attila Trilogy, #1)
  • The Ten Thousand: A Novel of Ancient Greece
Glyn Iliffe studied English and Classics at university where he developed a passion for the ancient stories of Greek history and mythology. Well-travelled, Glyn has visited nearly 40 countries, trekked in the Himalayas, spent six weeks hitchhiking across North America, and had his collar bone broken by a bull in Pampolna.

He is married with two daughters and lives in Market Harborough.
More about Glyn Iliffe...

Adventures of Odysseus (6 books)
  • The Gates of Troy (Adventures of Odysseus, #2)
  • The Armour of Achilles (Adventures of Odysseus, #3)
  • The Oracles of Troy (Adventures of Odysseus, #4)
  • The Voyage of Odysseus (Adventures of Odysseus, #5)
  • Return to Ithaca (Adventures of Odysseus #6)
“He was such a throwaway thing of no importance, and yet he existed and would make that existence worthwhile.” 0 likes
“Then, when friends and fortune have departed from you, you will rise again from the dead.’ ‘Thank” 0 likes