Start by marking “A Duke of Her Own (Desperate Duchesses, #6)” as Want to Read:
A Duke of Her Own (Desperate Duchesses, #6)

A Duke of Her Own

(Desperate Duchesses #6)

A DUKE MUST CHOOSE WISELY...

Leopold Dautry, the notorious Duke of Villiers, must wed quickly and nobly—and his choices, alas, are few. The Duke of Montague's daughter, Eleanor, is exquisitely beautiful and fiercely intelligent. Villiers betroths himself to her without further ado.

After all, no other woman really qualifies. Lisette, the outspoken daughter of the Duke of Gil
Mass Market Paperback, 386 pages
Published July 28th 2009 by Avon

Zumbagirl
Well, I just finished this book and maybe I should take a few days off to think things through. It's made me come to this conclusion: Men are idiots. Completely. Totally. All of them. Especially Villiers. I've read the entire series and really thought I got to know and understand him. But he's not as smart in life as he is at playing chess. Too bad.

All I can say is, Eleanor is a much more patient and forgiving person than I am. She's a great heroine despite the mistakes she's made. She has an i
Ingie
Written October 20, 2015

3.8 Stars - Well made, entertaining audiobook HR with a light comic touch

A Duke of Her Own, a since a few weeks downloaded pretty cheap "Whispersync for Voice" audiobook, and also my very first historical by Eloisa James pen. — 11:30 hrs narrated by Susan Duerden in a splendid good way (she was simply great).

And? ~ Was it worth the time and money?
Oh yes, absolutely nothing to complain about. This is just good HR in a old-school, adorable steamy, funny romantic style. It
Penny Watson
Aug 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: cool-dogs
A Duke of Her Own by Eloisa James

I am seriously going to have to enter a 12-step program to get over my addiction to A Duke of Her Own. I cannot stop re-reading this sucker. I just re-read it for the third time in a matter of weeks.

It doesn't look like anything special (cheesy pastel romance cover).

It doesn't sound like anything special (book blurb on the back turned me off--I hate books where the hero is trying to choose between 2 women, and the whole duel thing sounds trite).

But Holy Christ On
willaful
The “Desperate Duchesses” series was very up and down for me and this last book was the most up and down of all; one minute I enjoyed it, the next I was bored, the next I wanted to throw it against the wall.

The book starts off with a bang, a dramatic, sensual moment between the Duke of Villiers, who is looking for a mother for his numerous illegitimate children, and Eleanor, a spinster who has never recovered from her first love marrying another woman. This mislead me about how the rest of the b
Dinjolina
Feb 07, 2011 rated it did not like it
Bastards! Bastards all over the place!
I hate heroes with bastards.
Felicia
Aug 11, 2009 rated it really liked it
Pretttty good! I love her characters, I really do. She makes all the tropes fresh with wit and humanity. Definitely a fan and was happy to see Villers in a more "humane" role, he's had quite the arc throughout these books. I enjoyed the ride!
kris
Aug 20, 2017 rated it did not like it
Lady Eleanor is still pining for a former lover so she won't marry anyone less than a Duke. The Duke of Villiers is in need of a wife and won't settle for anyone less than a Duke's daughter. Obviously there needs to be more angst, so let's throw in the "mad" Lisette and Eleanor's former lover and animal cruelty and bastard children to make things more exciting.

1. The handling of Lisette, the "mad" rival, was...not great. The text seems to lean heavily on the idea that Lisette is unable to form
Nadia
Oh my god, this book. So many feels. I don't want to say too much and spoil, but this is a true gem. Eleanor is awesome, confident, headstrong, smart, just one of my favorite HR heroines EVER. And Leopold... at first he's so cold and reserved, almost aloof, but then he shows his true face and it's so freaking intense and hot. Don't get me wrong, there were some things that had me thinking like really, tho? and I hated that he was blind to how amazing Eleanor is for his family, how long it took h ...more
Kim H
Aug 07, 2009 rated it liked it
A decent and ultimately satisfying wrap to EJ's Desperate Duchesses series, but like the rest of this series (& everything James in general) I found it a little windy. I appreciate the rich detail and strong sense of time & place that EJ puts into her stories, but there are times when I feel like she's talking over my head. IMO, it's tedious to have to stop & think about every subtle nuance of character dialogue and interaction, especially when she's going to rehash all of it two or ...more
KatLynne
Feb 24, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to KatLynne by: Penny Watson
The last book in the Desperate Dutchess Series. Something I very rarely do is read a book out of order. But I found myself doing so with this one. This is the only book I've read from this series and it can easily be read as a stand alone.

Lady Eleanor is certainly an intelligent beauty and I enjoyed the banter between her and the oh-so-sexy Duke of Villiers. There is no deep, dark torment involved with either the hero or heroine. Rather, a perfect mix for a truly delightful romance. There is ang
Rose Lerner
May 25, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I loved this book, especially Villiers's children. So adorable! I think my favorite thing about Eloisa James is how every character, even the small ones, even the nasty ones, feels like a person with their own point of view and their own complete life, even if we only get to see the edges of it. This book had a fabulous cast, and I loved Eleanor and her insecurities. When she told Villiers she deserved more I cheered!
Fangirl Musings
Jan 31, 2010 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: No one- it was an irritating read
Recommended to Fangirl Musings by: Impulse buy
Pages Survived: 34

So I may or may not be jumping the gun on this one, but alas, this book just wasn't cutting it for me.

In truth, there is not that much to say as to why I didn't like it. I suppose the reality is that the novel was a bit abrasive to me. One, I found the dialogue a bit spastic. I despise when authors write the spoken word of the characters without adding any descriptions to tone, inflection, and thoughts. I also thought the dialogue was a tad bit spastic, as well. One point would
herdys
Dec 22, 2016 rated it liked it
Reading this book was such a weird experience. It was addicting but at the same time I didn't like or care about the couple or their romance. I read about the witty dialogues in other reviews but at times it felt more like rude and cruel to me. I also never enjoy love triangles, and this was one was even worse, since love wasn't even involved.

I basically liked his children and the dog. The end of the book was great but it felt like I was reading a different book. It had nothing to do with the L
Anzu The Great Destroyer
Jan 16, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: fans of the genre, series, author, etc
Recommended to Anzu by: Aly is so frigging bored
So I started the book thinking: OMG finally a book about Villiers!!! He’s like Batman of the 1700s or something! The previous book showed him being all superhero on the dudes who used the orphans and stuff. I can see a comic book coming out of this:

So after this I start the book. And I stare…. And keep on staring…. And final I ask the big question: where is the true Villiers? This one is a fake!

Yep! It seemed to me like that. Like the character I so far admired disappeared and left this little m
Tina
Oct 08, 2009 rated it really liked it
I have never read an Eloisa James book before. My preferred romance category is the contemporary. ButLynne Connolly's Richard and Rose series has whetted my appetite again for historical romance and I had read a pretty good review of this book.

I was pleasantly surprised by it. I do think there were a couple of situations that strained credibility a bit, but over all this was a really nicely written book with great characters and excellent dialogue.

In this story the hero is a Duke, Villiers, who
Sharon Chance
Aug 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
As a book reviewer, I read a lot, A LOT, of books. From women’s fiction to mysteries to biographies, I’ve read nearly every genre there is, even science fiction. But my guilty pleasure, when I want to just relax and read something fun …is a good ol’ bodice ripping historical romance. Yep, I want all the steamy, frisky, good-time loving that can be found in the pages of a delightfully indulgent romance novel.
And one of the best authors of the historical romance genre is Eloisa James. In her lates
kari
May 13, 2010 rated it it was ok
Shelves: 2010
This book fell very flat for me. It seemed to plod along at a snail's pace until the final few chapters. It started out well, with snappy dialogue, but when they all trooped off to Lisette's country home, the plot s l o w e d way down and it seemd like not much happened, other than the trip to the orphanage.
I didn't like the hero, Leopold. At all. And I didn't like his behavior. At all. Tough for me to want him to end up with the heroine, whom I wasn't all that crazy about either, when I simply
Holly
Aug 25, 2017 rated it liked it
I'm a fan of Eloisa James, and this is her sixth book of hers that I have read. While I have not read the previous books in this series, I have read the ones that come after it, so this felt more like a prequel to me. While this didn't quite live up to my expectations, based on the glimpses I have seen of Leopold in subsequent books, it was still enthralling enough that I read this in it's entirety within 24 hours. I will say that I thought Eleanor was maybe a bit too understanding and too free ...more
MountainKat
*4+ Stars*

I really enjoyed this one! I loved all the characters - the animals and the children as well as the adults! I thought both the hero and heroine were a bit wishy-washy, at times more than a bit. That was quite out of character from the Villiers we knew in the previous books. It was understandable, but in the end they each stood strong, but I did want to shoot at them sometimes. The ending was especially sweet!

I listed to the audio and loved it! Susan Duerden's narration is always a plea
Teresa
Oct 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: read-2018
From the start of book one, everything seemed to be leading up to books 5 and 6. Neither disappointed. This story consumed me. I devoured it. I've been dying for Villiers story, but the heroine Eleanor stole the show. She was spectacular. This is one I definitely plan to revisit on occasion.
Aneca
Aug 28, 2009 rated it really liked it
After a few "so so" reads Eloisa James has finally delivered a book that I love. For the whole series of The Desperate Duchesses, Villiers has been a secondary character that intrigued me the most. We have seen him change from a jaded rake only interested in chess to a man decided to take responsibility of his 6 bastard children to the point that he will marry the woman who better fits the role of a mother.

With no clue where to start he follows the advice of dear friends, a former h/h, the Duke
Letitia
Sep 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Rating: A ... Heat: Hot

This was book was... fantastic. And so different from the usual HR. So different.

For starters, the hero has six illegitimate children. And he is no longer content to let them be raised in orphanages or suffer on the streets. So Leopold, the Duke of Villiers, is finding his children, one by one, and bringing them home with him. To be raised properly and eventually introduced into society... Which is why he needs a wife. And not just any wife will do; he needs one who 1) is
Jan
Aug 13, 2011 rated it really liked it
Recommended to Jan by: Moss
Moss had been raving about Eloisa James, so I decided to try her out. I picked up the first of this series, read the sample, encountered Villiers, and decided to jump ahead to the last book. Mostly because the plot of the other books didn't really appeal to me.

Alas. I misunderstood the blurb and believed Lisette was going to be the heroine until we actually met her. So for the first quarter of the book I kept waiting for the heroine to show up. Sigh. Sometimes, I'm slow. Anyway I imagined Villie
iamGamz
4 Reformed Rakish Stars

“Oh, I have felt lust. And I've indulged lust. But no other woman has turned me into another person.”

A Duke with six bastard children is looking for a woman to be a mother to his children. Someone who will overlook their questionable birth and help them grow up to face the scorn of society. Villiers’ quest seems almost impossible, but he has found two choices, a woman who is in love with another man, and one who is reputed to be quite mad.

A very entertaining book about Vi
Quinn
Jul 10, 2011 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: nobody
I'm sorry, Eloisa, but I just didn't care for the book. Some of the dialogue was hysterical, but the characters just didn't do it for me.

I can't get into a hero who has "6 pieces of accidental baggage" and not even the same quantity in ounces of personality. I like reading men I myself would be in a danger of falling for, and he was SO not that!

I didn't know it until now, but I much prefer stories that revolve around one man and one woman. Not a weird triangle like this had. I read to escape f
Choko
Jan 03, 2015 rated it really liked it
The best one of the lot yet! Fun, pleasant read, comfortable and comforting. Comfort food for the soul :-)
Lady Wesley
Oct 26, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened
I enjoyed the book, but the audio was less successful, due to the narrator's strange way of pronouncing the hero's name. It is Villiers, which she pronounced Vee-A. I believe that in both French and English it is Vill-yers. Very distracting.
Jill Dunlop
Feb 26, 2010 rated it it was amazing
A Duke of Her Own is the 6th book in Eloisa James' Desperate Duchesses series. Lady Eleanor finds herself as one of the two women the Duke of Villiers is considering for his bride. The Duke has six illegitimate children who he plans to openly accept into society and he needs an appropriate Duchess who would be able to easy their way. Eleanor had her heart broken when her childhood love, The Duke of Astley was forced to wed another. Eleanor hasn't been able get over him and deep within her heart ...more
Melanie
Feb 17, 2017 rated it it was amazing
I should have known that the best story in this series would come at the end of it. This story has everything I love in romance, from an awesome hero to a wonderful heroine, a host of great characters, plenty of humor and a romance filled with sensuality to curl your toes. But what made this story so god to me, were two things, Villiers's six children and a dialogue between every character that is written to perfection.

If you love solid, well written and fast paced stories that will engage all y
Kit★
Feb 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
I dove immediately into this book after recently finishing Duchess By Night. I've read most of this series out of order, but I have to admit that this is the one I was most anticipating. Villiers is my favorite of all the men in this series, and I couldn't wait for his story. At first, I wasn't sure if I was going to like Eleanor, especially since her desires seemed to be so focused on Gideon, Duke of Astley. At first, oddly enough, I was sort of liking Lisette better, she seemed good, but then ...more
Sinopsis en Español // Synopsis in Spanish 1 3 Mar 09, 2015 09:18AM
  • What I Did For a Duke (Pennyroyal Green, #5)
  • His at Night (The London Trilogy #3)
  • To Beguile a Beast (Legend of the Four Soldiers, #3)
  • Always a Scoundrel (Notorious Gentlemen, #3)
  • Surrender to the Devil (Scoundrels of St. James, #3)
  • Trial by Desire (Carhart, #2)
  • Surrender of a Siren (The Wanton Dairymaid Trilogy, #2)
  • Your Scandalous Ways (Fallen Women, #1)
  • Wed Him Before You Bed Him (School For Heiresses #6)
  • Sinful in Satin (The Rarest Blooms #3)
  • Bound by Your Touch
  • Scandal of the Year (Abandoned at the Altar, #2)
  • How to Marry a Duke (How To #1)
  • Seduced By His Touch (The Byrons of Braebourne, #2)
  • What Happens in London (Bevelstoke, #2)
New York Times bestselling author Eloisa James writes historical romances for HarperCollins Publishers. Her novels have been published to great acclaim. A reviewer from USA Today wrote of Eloisa's very first book that she "found herself devouring the book like a dieter with a Hershey bar"; later People Magazine raved that "romance writing does not get much better than this." Her novels have repeat ...more

Desperate Duchesses (9 books)
  • Desperate Duchesses (Desperate Duchesses, #1)
  • An Affair Before Christmas (Desperate Duchesses, #2)
  • Duchess By Night (Desperate Duchesses, #3)
  • When the Duke Returns (Desperate Duchesses, #4)
  • This Duchess of Mine (Desperate Duchesses, #5)
  • Three Weeks With Lady X (Desperate Duchesses by the Numbers, #1; Desperate Duchesses, #7)
  • Four Nights With the Duke (Desperate Duchesses, #8)
  • Seven Minutes in Heaven  (Desperate Duchesses by the Numbers, #3; Desperate Duchesses, #9)
“Yes Leopold," Eleanor said in a low, mocking voice. "Do start to shine, please. I think I saw the rising, but I definitely missed the shining.” 21 likes
“Life does not always gives us the choices that we want” 18 likes