Start by marking “Inside the Slidy Diner” as Want to Read:
Inside the Slidy Diner

Inside the Slidy Diner

Meet Edie, who resides--permanently--at The Slidy Diner. She'd really like it if you would join her. With Edie as your guide you'll have no trouble avoiding the wigglepedes, and she'll steer you away from the pumpkin asparagus pie with crunchy-bit topping (nobody knows what the crunchy bits are).

In her first picturebook, author Laurel Snyder teams with artist Jaime Zollar
Published June 10th 2008 by Tricycle Press (first published 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Inside the Slidy Diner, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Inside the Slidy Diner

Janet
Nov 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
I skimmed through this once this afternoon and thought, "Hmm. Interesting idea; I'm not sure I like it so much."

But then the kids I babysit asked me to read it aloud to them, and I did so. As I read aloud, they squirmed and giggled at the disgusting details the author and illustrator display for us. Ugh! It was such a pleasure to hear some of my favorite kids squeal with fake horror as we pretended to eat at the Slidy Diner. Needless to say, the book came alive when I read it aloud. As soon as
Nicole
Oct 24, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Recommends it for: parents and children 3-8
Recommended to Nicole by: met the author, Laurel Snyder
Loved this BOOK!
I'm an author and illustrator, so I've seen a lot of books. But when I picked up this book, I was entranced from the cover all the way to the end. First, the prose is unique, lovely, quirky...a perfect match for the brilliant illustrations. My three- and five-year-old kids and I have been reading this one nightly. Each time we see different things in the illustrations we hadn't seen before...a mouse on a cat's back, an eye peeking through a hole in the wall...It's so much fun! It
Terry
This is a clever book. It has a Halloween-year-round feel to it, with an ick-factor that parents will relate to in ways kids can't (since we don't usually take them to greasy spoons). Our daughter asked lots of questions the first few times through, and we found ourselves re-reading parts to try to help her make sense of it. The illustrations are fabulous. You'll want to spend time just exploring the pictures, because there is plenty going on that isn't covered in the poem itself.

To read our fu
Jul 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Imaginative, dark, and original. This is not your typical children's book. My daughter chose it when she was four. She is now six and it remains one of her favorites (and she has read hundreds of children's books).
Trinity
Jun 26, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: fiction, kid-books
I liked this book very much. I actually read it 5-7 times.
N
Nov 17, 2008 rated it liked it
The pictures are absolutely fantabulous, visually inspiring... but the story kind of loses me, like David Lynch for kiddies...
Rachel Foraker
Oct 27, 2012 rated it really liked it
My 7 year old loves this book, in all it's gross detail. The detailed illustrations are awesome.
Becky
Jul 19, 2011 rated it it was amazing
It's full of the deliciously gross stuff that make kids giggle.
Taylor (taymwoods)
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it
THIS IS NOT A KID'S BOOK
Nora Glass
Jan 08, 2017 rated it really liked it
This is a wonderful book, and really, the only reason why it only got four stars is because I never give five stars to a book that is not my reading level. This book is about a girl who resides in a diner. It is a creepy diner, where if you have to go, HOLD IT! There is awesome descriptions, and I would recommend it to children ages three to seven.
Dana
Dec 16, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: weeded
I loved the grotesque weirdness of this one, but I don't think kids will appreciate it. Apparently, their parents will not either, which is why it's getting weeded from my collection. It averages only 1 checkout per year!
PickyReader
This picture book was kind of dark for children, according to me. It's kinda creepy. A good book to read to get in the mood for Halloween, I guess. It also inspires the inner creepy horror author dwelling inside me.

Priya
Jun 01, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: three-stars
A little weird...and depressing. I was expecting a cuter book.
Susan
Nov 24, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Yikes! What the?! David Lynch for kids sounds about right. Maybe I'll take it home for Derrick to read, but not to Lola!
Julianna
Feb 05, 2009 is currently reading it
for picture book readers
Samantha Penrose
Aug 25, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
This book was creepy and weird.
(but on the plus side it had creepy and weird illustrations)
Jun 30, 2011 rated it liked it
Gorgeous illustrations! Dark, icky, and fun! I'm not crazy about the tone of the tale for the tots though.
Maeve
Aug 08, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: kids-juvies-ya
I don't get this book. I'd never use this for a storytime.
Tina B
Dec 10, 2009 rated it it was ok
"gross-out dishes and decor, weird, no storyline just description"
Zack
Dec 15, 2008 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
Wow this is one dark picture book! I loved it personally, but really don't see it working in a storytime. The illustrations are wonderful, the writing a bit choppy at times.
Lynn
Jan 12, 2009 rated it it was ok
Shelves: kids-books
This book was ok. It is about a diner that is dirty and gross. So don't read before a meal.
Mary
Feb 16, 2010 rated it it was ok
not my favorite children's book...kind of erie and gross in a not so good way.
Thomas
Jan 24, 2010
Firstt
May 24, 2012
« previous 1 3 next »
Laurel Snyder is the author of six children's novels, "Orphan Island," "Seven Stories Up," "Bigger than a Bread Box," "Penny Dreadful," "Up and Down the Scratchy Mountains OR The Search for a Suitable Princess" and "Any Which Wall" (Random House) as well as many picture books, including "Charlie & Mouse," "The Forever Garden," "Swan, the life and dance of Anna Pavlova," and "Baxter, the Pig Wh ...more