Start by marking “La Rançon Des Ténèbres” as Want to Read:
La Rançon Des Ténèbres

La Rançon Des Ténèbres

3.63  ·  Rating details ·  227 Ratings  ·  16 Reviews
John Newton est un écrivain de romans policiers à succès, spécialisé dans les meurtres non élucidés du passé. Il a une vie de famille heureuse avec sa femme et ses deux enfants. Ainsi qu’une jolie nouvelle maison à la campagne. La vie est belle pour John Newton…
Jusqu’à ce que les lettres commencent à arriver.
Des lettres en vieil anglais, sinistres et mystérieuses. Des lett
Published June 17th 2003 by Bragelonne (first published January 28th 2001)

To ask other readers questions about La Rançon Des Ténèbres, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about La Rançon Des Ténèbres

Tressa
Nov 28, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up at a used bookstore and didn't know anything about it or the author.

Darkness Demands is a chilling story about a writer who moves to a new neighborhood near an ancient cemetery. He starts finding little notes demanding that he leave simple offerings--such as chocolate--on one of the graves. He scoffs at them at first, but in talking with the villagers he discovers that not doing as Baby Bones requests will result in some nasty retribution not only for him and his family, b
Jeannie Sloan
Sep 14, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
I liked this book.It also had a good ending.The main protagonist was well fleshed out.You could really experience all of the difficulties that he had to go through.The only bad thing about the book were a little unrealistic situations throughout the book.
CyaNyDiA
Feb 06, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is the first Simon Clark book that I have read. I really like this one a lot. The cemetary was especially creepy. A real page-turner!
Tara Bush
It was an interesting story and I liked the way the author builds the suspense. I'm not quite sure why the author felt it was so important to throw in some gratuitous sex scenes - in fact, there doesn't seem to be any reason for the chapter depicting the son's relationship with his new girlfriend except for the sex. So that means a few useless chapters, but you don't realize you've been bamboozled until you finish the book and stop to think about it. I wish the ending had been a little stronger. ...more
Bertrand
Apr 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
Shelves: horror
Soyons clair dès le départ : je suis très très loin d'être un fan de littérature de terreur, et c'est un miracle que Bragelonne ait réussi à m'en faire apprécier un !
Je fais un vrai blocage sur ce type de livre : ils ne me font tout simplement pas peur, pitié plutôt (exception faite à Lovecraft et aux premiers Anne Rice).
Alors qu'est-ce qui a bien pu me faire aimer ce roman ? Et bien dans un premier temps, ces 330 pages se boivent comme du petit lait, si bien que j'ai même eu l'impression de n'
Lucy
Nov 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: horror lovers
It has been a while, but I enjoyed this book immensely. The main character, a writer named John Newton has recently moved with his family to a new house. Shortly thereafter he begins receiving notes requesting some very odd items, and requesting the articles be left in a certain place in the neighborhood cemetary. The book goes from creepy to completely horrific as the demands escalate and the history of the cemetary unfolds. Other residents come forth, and suddenly, poor John is past the point ...more
Holly
Aug 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I can tell you what I liked best in this book......the Necropolis itself. The Gothic imagery of the abandoned cemetery and the lavish Victorian era monuments is very haunting in and of itself. I picture it looking much like the old section of London's Highgate.

The plot was purely incidental; I would have been happy with an epistolary description of a series of walks through the Necropolis with all sorts of unexplained phenomena.
Kelsie
Sep 17, 2014 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror, mystery, bad-books
I really wasn't feeling this book. I started it in October and here I am in January finally finishing it. It was a load of old nothing to be honest, I didn't get a feel for any of the characters, and it also creeped me out how older male authors write about 16/17 year old girls, like that was the most disturbing part of this 'horror'.
x
Mireille Prusak
While I didn't exactly enjoy the author's writing style--it was a bit simplistic and almost like a children's book--I have to admit this was a good, solid, scary read. I watch a lot of horror movies and read a lot of horror novels, and this was one the few that actually gave me nightmares, for which I sincerely salute the author. Well done!
Eric Compton
Dec 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really interesting story that blends traditional horror and mystery. One of Clark's finest.
Dave Roberts
There is a great story within a story in this book, but I found the overall story lacking in comparison.
Jason  morton
Ok

The story was interesting but nothing happened. I kind of like it because of the end but.... it was predictable
Heather G
Jul 11, 2009 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I loved this book and this horror genre.
Geoff
May 08, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Another win from Mr Clark. Great, creepy, breathtaking horror...
Maggie
Sep 27, 2011 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: horror
Two and a half stars, kept me interested without being much in the way of horror
Beth Beecham
Sep 16, 2011
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »
  • The Bone Factory
  • Body Rides
  • Blind Panic (Manitou, #5)
  • The Halloween Man
  • The Mailman
  • Chasm
  • Joyride
  • Tequila's Sunrise
  • Snow
  • Night Stone
  • Stickmen
Born, 20th April, 1958, Simon Clark is the author of such highly regarded horror novels as Nailed By The Heart, Blood Crazy, Darker, Vampyrrhic and The Fall, while his short stories have been collected in Blood & Grit and Salt Snake & Other Bloody Cuts. He has also written prose material for the internationally famous rock band U2.

Raised in a family of storytellers – family legend told of
More about Simon Clark...