Start by marking “The Secret Of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #3)” as Want to Read:
The Secret Of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #3)

The Secret Of Excalibur (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase #3)

4.01  ·  Rating details ·  4,115 Ratings  ·  172 Reviews
The third brilliant adventure thriller featuring archaeologist Nina Wilde, in which Nina must find Excalibur, King Arthur's beloved sword. Said to make whoever holds it unstoppable in battle, the sword Excalibur has been coveted across the ages, and thought lost for over a thousand years. With a cryptic message to archaeologist Nina Wilde, this may be about to change. Hist ...more
Hardcover
Published 2008 by Headline

To ask other readers questions about The Secret Of Excalibur, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Secret Of Excalibur

Patrick Gibson
Jan 06, 2011 rated it did not like it
Should I comment on a book I didn’t finish? Oh, why the hell not.

I like brainless over-the-top action adventure stories. I’ve been reading Clive Cussler since he went down with the Titanic. I have a low threshold for stupid and don’t mind settling in for a tall tale whopper or two now and again.

That is why in a fit of madness I bought three Andy McDermott books at the same time. Flea market special: $5 for all. I made it through the first two (Atlantis & Hercules) by default. I couldn’t beli
Mike
May 30, 2010 rated it it was amazing
And the non-stop action adventure continues. I love this series. One thing though, if you're looking for a deep novel, you won't find it here, this is pure unadulterated thrill ride.

Seriously, this is nothing more than an action movie in book form. It's easy to see who the bad guy is from almost the very beginning, the twists and turns are usually expected, but I'm glad to say that the final twist was one I didn't see coming at all. I really liked this book, I really like this series.

I know I s
Leslie Stokes
I have long been a fan of Arthurian legend, so I thought this mystery of trying to find Excalibur was neat. Unfortunately, the sword was found halfway through the book, and the rest of the story was devoted to Nina and Chase being pursued by people who wanted to take the sword. Too many descriptions of weapons and secret hideouts. I would have preferred more of the story be devoted to the clues and historic secrets that led to the finding of Excalibur.
Mark Muckerman
Jun 15, 2012 rated it liked it
After savaging The Tomb of Hercules, I must be fair and say that Excalibur is a profound improvement. Better character dialogue (though still weak and cliched), more balanced plot development and pacing, less absolutely ludicrous flights of fancy and requirements for an absolute suspension of disbelief, and also less hateful bickering between Chase & Nina. While I'm sure in the author's mind it's a necessary view into the relationship development, the actual writing in Hercules was so shallo ...more
Annette Gisby
Mar 09, 2017 rated it liked it
Not as good as the first in the series, the one about Atlantis, but still entertaining and a fast read.
Helen
Feb 13, 2017 rated it it was ok
One star because it is actually well written and readable, and another because the author is from Halifax.

I expected this to be cheesy, and probably sexist, but it was much worse than I thought it would be. The action sequences are daft and go beyond ridiculous, but that wouldn't bother me too much if the humour weren't so juvenile.

The main protagonist Eddie has zero personality and his supposedly super smart fiancee Nina giggles her way through the book.

Still, I managed to read it to the end
Ryan Burt
May 10, 2012 rated it really liked it
1) Rating: 4 out of 5 stars

2) Genre: Adventure

3) Synopsis: Excalibur used to be the most powerful weapon of its time and can help create the most powerful weapon of today. Nina and Eddie race to find it to stop it from being used for bad.

4) Feelings: This is the third book in the Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase series. All these books have a bit of the unbelievable in them. It is sort of like watching a James Bond movie. You just go in expecting action and adventure and try not to worry about belie
Vaelin
Aug 01, 2014 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Largely a story of two very different halves....the second half far less enjoyable and became a bit of a struggle to finish in the end

Im a big fan of Clive Cussler and James Rollins and tried this one as McDermott is regularly mentioned in the same breath as several of the adventure titans, however I didn't enjoy this anywhere near as much as the aforementioned authors works.

The bickering between Wilde and Chase was mildly humorous at first and then became like nails down a chalkboard by the en
C Joy
Sep 24, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: scifi
I'm not exactly familiar with all things Arthurian or Monty Python, but I still read on knowing I was in for a ride, and I wasn't disappointed.

It started with a tame setting, Nina about to meet Eddie's family, until a persuasive colleague of her parents' met her in Bournemouth. The action was nonstop after that, lots of murders, senseless deaths, it was an eye-opener for Chase - how far would one risk his life for a piece of old thing? In this novel's setting, it was a significant historical fin
Enzo
I have always liked the Chase & Wilde adventures. I wish Goodreads would allow HALF points I would have given it a 3.5. Reading about famous myths is even better. Excalibur carries a lot of stories attached that help the story. Couldn't help it had to watch "Excalibur" the 1981 film. I just wished McDermott would dedicate more time to the Arthurian legends to give more body to that part of the story instead of the non-stop action/adventure. All in all a good read.

Recommended to Action/Advent
Philip Cook
Feb 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
This was a non-stop action ride from start to finish. It is the third book in the series for Nina and Chase. As with all of McDermot's book's it is a fast action ride. This book is not a deep thinker but is rather a fast action thrill ride that take a Robert Ludlum basis and adds a twist of ancient legends. If you have already read this series and enjoyed it check out Matt Reilly he has a great series with Jack West Jr.
Santiago Oleas
Jul 16, 2011 rated it liked it
This is Andy McDermott's third book and at this point it seems like he's following a template and just switches out the legend and location but the story seems to be the same. If you have read the first two and are thinking of picking up this one, take a break before reading it so that you do not feel like you've seen it all before.
Ignacio Senao f
La clásica aventura sin complicaciones del autor ni para el lector. Todas las coincidencias del mundo suceden, la mayor suerte y llegar a los sitios y besar el santo. Pero la gracia del protagonista y que las aventuras Indianojonista siempre molan, hace una lectura de usar y tirar que cumple su función mientras la lees.
Michael Davies
Dec 23, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This is James Bond the Andy Mcdermott way, full of action and quirky one liners but not so sophisticated, and the character's tend to get a bit more then a bruis.
If you like action movies then you will enjoy his books. An quick easy read.
Janey
Aug 25, 2012 rated it really liked it
Really enjoyed the different locations that Eddie and Nina travelled to on their adventures to discover Excaliber. Especially liked the bit about the awful Imax cinema in Bournemouth (now thankfully demolished) and the car chase through Bournemouth Gardens which was good fun.
Marelize Le
Jan 05, 2017 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2016, 2017
Seriously bad ending!!!
Phyllis
Aug 07, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Really liked this book.Have never ready anything by this author before. Am going to read the others in his series.
Mia
Aug 02, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2010-books
Silly over the top action-adventure, but I'm really enjoying the series!
Emma
Sep 07, 2014 rated it liked it
Ok story but a bit long. It got a little tedious at times.
Mauro Beltaro
Nov 29, 2017 rated it liked it
Third chapter of the Nina-Eddie adventures. This time it's Excalibur time. I must say that the most famous sword in history and literature doesn't disappoint: in the right hands it can become a formidable weapon. Who has read the book will know what I really mean!

Of course, talking about Excalibur is talking about King Arthur. Unfortunately, the famous king of the knights of the round table has a very short appearance, quickly dismissed in order to get things going. I would have preferred a litt
Mary Emma
Jan 08, 2018 rated it liked it
This was pretty much an action movie in book form, and a really fun read for me. It had near-constant action, a ton of stuff blowing up, and King Arthur mythology woven throughout. I enjoyed the dynamic between the characters, especially Nina and Chase's snark, and the general cheesiness of it all. I could've done without the sexism and near-constant sex jokes, but overall this was a fun read (even without reading the rest of the series, since I didn't know it was part of a series until I starte ...more
Belle
Aug 13, 2017 rated it liked it
This book is so much better than the last, I'm glad I persisted. Granted, it was still pretty cheesy but the "historical" parts of the story were good and the action doesn't drag on. The pop culture references were over the top and made me die a little inside, but at least they kind of fitted in with the ridiculousness of the book.

If someone is starting the Wilde-Chase series from the start, I highly recommend skipping the second book. Or, if you have already read the Tomb of Hercules and thoug
Ежко Таралежко
Oct 28, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: adventure
Малко ги чета разбъркани книгите от тази поредица, но какво да направя - трудно се откриват.
Както и да е, поредно приключение на смелата археоложка Нина Уайлд и чепатия и партньор - бившия командос Еди Чейс, този път разкриващо гробницата на Крал Артур, съществуването на Ескалибур и мистичните свойства на меча.
Много екшън, много добър хумор, много любима поредица. Чак ми е чудно как още никой не е почнал да ги филмира.
Meredith
So for the series to be enjoyable, there's a lot of suspension of disbelief. As in Wilde and Chase finding something believed a myth every year - or twice a year for that matter. This one flips parts of the plot of the last one. Instead of Nina feeling jealous of Sophia, now Eddie is jealous of an American agent working with them. And as for the bad guys? Wheels within wheels again. And who is good and who is bad being blurred, though unfortunately McDermott doesn't make it noir.
Anna
Mar 17, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Un'avventura divertente e coinvolgente alla ricerca della spada più desiderata di tutti i tempi. La trama è ben costruita e i personaggi, già conosciuti nei romanzi precedenti della serie, sono sempre ben descritti e divertenti.

Un bel libro.
Patrick
The story saves this, but only just. Not as engaging as Cussler. Certainly not as well written as Clancy. Eddie Chase is tough, but not clever. Some mistakes he makes are really quite breathtaking. And I am not convinced that McDermott is particularly honest with or respectful of his characters.
Clare
Oct 23, 2017 rated it it was amazing
This was a little slower than the first two, but still a good read.
Edwin Vriethoff
A nice read, but had some trouble getting into it. Not one of the best books in this serie. Next one is more promising.
Strawser-McNamee Family
Great books

Love this series and how action packed they are. How they both grow as people and characters. Evolving along with the plot.
Elizabeth
So glad.that I picked it up finally and read it, can't wait to read books 4-8 .
Around the Year i...: The Secret of Excalibur, by Andy McDermott 1 10 Feb 13, 2017 01:16AM
  • The Atlantis Revelation (Conrad Yeats Adventure, #3)
  • The Mask Of Troy (Jack Howard, #5)
  • The Eden Legacy (Daniel Knox, #4)
  • The Prophecy (Payne & Jones, #5)
  • Ark of Fire (Caedmon Aisquith, #1)
  • Pulse (Chess Team Adventure, #1)
  • Dark Rising (Alex Hunter, #2)
  • The Gilded Seal (Tom Kirk, #3)
  • The Roswell Conspiracy (Tyler Locke, #3)
  • Rembrandt's Ghost (Finn Ryan, #3)
  • Gates of Hades (Jason Peters #1)
  • The 5 Greatest Warriors (Jack West Jr, #3)
  • The Lost Relic (Ben Hope #6)
  • The Temple Mount Code (Thomas Lourds, #3)
Andy McDermott was born in Halifax, West Yorkshire, and now lives in Bournemouth. As a journalist and magazine editor, amongst other titles he edited DVD Review and the iconoclastic film publication Hotdog. Andy is now a full-time writer.
More about Andy McDermott...

Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase (1 - 10 of 14 books)
  • The Hunt for Atlantis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #1)
  • The Tomb of Hercules (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #2)
  • The Covenant Of Genesis (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #4)
  • The Cult Of Osiris (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #5)
  • The Sacred Vault (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #6)
  • Empire Of Gold (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #7)
  • Temple Of The Gods (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #8)
  • The Valhalla Prophecy (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase #9)
  • Kingdom of Darkness (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #10)
  • The Revelation Code (Nina Wilde & Eddie Chase, #11)