Start by marking “Learning as a Way of Leading: Lessons from the Struggle for Social Justice” as Want to Read:
Learning as a Way of Leading: Lessons from the Struggle for Social Justice

Learning as a Way of Leading: Lessons from the Struggle for Social Justice

This book offers a systematic look at the connections between learning and leading and the use of learning to inspire and organize for change. It explores two interrelated dimensions of learning leadership: the ways leaders themselves learn about leadership practice, and the way leaders foster the learning of those they work with. The book focuses on a number of important ...more
Published November 1st 2008 by Jossey-Bass

To ask other readers questions about Learning as a Way of Leading, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Learning as a Way of Leading

Ilana
Dec 30, 2018 rated it really liked it
Really insightful book.
Kelly
Dec 26, 2018 rated it liked it
Shelves: borrowed-it, school
I liked this topic for the leadership section of my research but other than broad leadership lessons, it is too specific for what I am after.
Amy Aldridge Sanford
It started out great, but then the authors started to repeat the material. I should have stopped reading at the end of Chapter 4.
Lance Eaton
Preskill and Brookfield examine the concept of leadership and reframe successful and meaningful leadership as a means and willingness to learn. They then explore how that frame of leader as learner plays out in different ways of learning (learning by asking others, learning by critical self-reflection, learning by sharing responsibilities and power, etc), the challenges with each way, and an iconic leader that has embraced that way. While the book's main chapters can feel formulaic, the ideas ar ...more
Drick
Dec 27, 2008 rated it it was amazing
This book approaches leadership from the standpoint of learning, and profiles exemplary leaders in the the area of social justice. The value of this book is the breakdown of learning skills, and the perspective of leadership as serving and empowering others. Also the profiles of various leaders related to specirfic skills, while somewhat contrived, is very helpful, as it showed social justice leadership in action. The co-author of this book is Stephen Brookfield, a renowned adult educator.
Ryan Greer
Nov 10, 2011 rated it it was ok
I feel like I am somehow critiquing social justice by only giving this book two stars. I'm not. But I didn't think this book was all that interesting. It felt more like a textbook disguised with an attractive cover than any sort of narrative approach to learning and leadership. I supposed there's nothing wrong with that, but I just didn't find this "illuminating" book all that illuminating.
Jen
Sep 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Great book on leadership through a social justice lens. I enjoyed reading about leaders I have not previously been exposed to due to hegemony's stain. This was a quick read that still helped bolster my views on how best to practice leadership. Everyone intersted in leadership will be well served to read this book.
Carol
May 27, 2010 rated it liked it
Good at highlighting overlooked leaders, mainly in the struggle for civil rights in the United States. I like its focus on collaborative leadership, a refreshing change from the status quo of hierarchical, androcentric, charismatic leadership literature.
Mills College Library
371.2 B8726 2009
Donald Jordan
Sep 03, 2011 rated it it was amazing
I count it a new staple. My book of the year!
Ebony
Oct 24, 2012 rated it liked it
Great teaching tool/primer for engaging students in the leadership points/styles and learning opportunities inherent in the social change movement.
Mike
Feb 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: education
Preskill & Brookfield use examples from the fight for civil rights to describe their "nine tasks" of a leader. Great examples and ideas.
Bookworm24601 Hunt