Start by marking “Freddie Mercury: His Life in His Own Words” as Want to Read:
Freddie Mercury: His Life in His Own Words

Freddie Mercury: His Life in His Own Words

Despite being in the limelight for over 20 years and selling nearly 200 million records, Freddie Mercury was a very private person - avoiding interviews as he was painfully shy and uncomfortable in the company of anyone who might intrude upon his famous 'royal family' of close friends. This book takes us on the journey of Queen - three academics and a frustrated art studen ...more
Published July 1st 2009 by Omnibus Press (first published January 1st 2006)

To ask other readers questions about Freddie Mercury, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Freddie Mercury

Courtney Streeter
Jul 01, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Prior to starting this book I told myself I would give it an honest star-rating that was not at all influenced by my Freddie Mercury-loving bias. I swear, I did my best. But I loved the book content so much that it really left me with no other choice than to rate it 5 stars...

So, as a self-confessed Queen fanatic, I loved it. The "biography" was very well put together, despite it not actually being Freddie's composition. Thus, the "biography" was more like a series of well-grouped quotes. A lot
Tina
Sep 28, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: biography
Image and video hosting by TinyPic
Eleanor (bookishcourtier)
I have no criticism for the words of Freddie Mercury himself, but the way this book was put together wasn't that cohesive and because it was taken from lots of different interviews, some parts of it were very repetitive. It was an easy read though, and I found it extremely interesting to read something from Freddie Mercury's own point of view.
Sarah Fuller
Jun 06, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Freddie in his own words. What could be a better biography than that? I love all the insights and contradictions of himself Freddie expounded upon. All the insights and details of his thought process. He talked so much about how important Queen was to him on so many differing levels throughout his career. And it seems to always come down to how important music was for him.

Aside from having to basically guess what time period he said certain things, which isn’t too hard, I have zero criticism of
Hannah Klawes
Dec 13, 2018 rated it liked it
I waffled between giving this a three or a four. I think the concept on a whole was a cool idea: it’s all quotes from Freddie Mercury’s interviews but they’re spliced together to make a somewhat cohesive narrative. Most of these interviews I had seen or listened to and it was jarring to see them cut up. I think that taking quotes out of context garbled the meaning of what he was saying a lot of the times. When it was, what questions were asked, who was interviewing, what else he was talking abou ...more
Lisa Reads & Reviews
Apr 17, 2019 rated it really liked it
Shelves: non-fiction
I loved hearing Freddie's voice in the passages. Putting a date on his interview responses would have added perspective and context.
RoseAnn
Jan 02, 2012 rated it liked it
It took me awhile to adjust to the style of this book. In the beginning, I found it very stilted and disorienting to have quotes about a common topic grouped together with nothing to make them flow together.

I wished there had been more information about Freddie Mercury's life prior to Queen.

I also wished that the quotes had been credited; who they were spoken to and especially when they were said would have helped immensely to put things in perspective.
Daniela
Jul 02, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The last two chapters destroyed me.
Ashley
Dec 25, 2018 rated it really liked it
It's hard to rate this, but I can say that I loved reading it. After watching the BoRhap movie, I knew I wanted to search for more crumbs in relation to Freddie Mercury and Queen. I watched some documentaries (not all of them good) and watched old interviews of the band (all good 10/10), so naturally I was going to seek out a book or two to read. The problem with that is that there's so many to choose from and not all come from the best sources. I was immediately pretty taken with the concept of ...more
Tina
Dec 03, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: 5-star
A compilation of interview and quotes

This is not a true autobiography, being that Freddie didn't write the words himself. Instead it's a collection of quotes, sound bites, and interviews he has given over the years to various news sources, which were compiled by the "authors" of this book. They've compiled them by subject matter in as reasonable a timeline as possible. One must be a true Queen fan to follow along and understand where they were at as a band, or where Freddie was at in his private
Diana Ferguson
Freddie was great.

I liked the book, trying to figure out how Freddie's mind worked. I would have liked to know how he handled his diagnosis, it didn't go into that. I don't think he would want us to know his thoughts when he knew he was going to die. Nothing was as important to him as his music and that is okay. I am glad he shared his music with us.
Amy Bellowe
Apr 18, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Straight from the horse's mouth, so you know it's real, especially being endorsed by his mother. It would be nice if the dates of the interviews these chapters were created from were listed in order to provide some context at times.
Kevan
Jun 12, 2018 rated it really liked it
Not the usual Biography style but simply a collection of statements from interviews grouped as subject matter. Interesting if sometimes a little disjointed. some new thoughts I wasn't aware of and an interesting and well written insight.
Deborah
Apr 19, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
What a great was to view Freddie not as a legend, but as a human being who grew, changed, and always had zany opinions.
Adriana Silveira palumbo
Good Read

Well worth reading if you’re a Freddie Fan like myself. It really made me feel Freddie was being his honest and genuine self as we love.
Lori
Sep 04, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I just love everything about this man. I enjoyed reading a book in his own words.
Kirsikka71
Aug 23, 2017 rated it liked it
These quotes by Freddie Mercury .....might be fantastic for the absolute die hard fans, I however dIdn't get a grip on the man.
Anna Jane
Jun 26, 2019 rated it really liked it
This book is really nice!
Candyce
Jul 05, 2019 rated it liked it
Just ok. Sometimes repetitive.
Jo Swenson
Mar 11, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: queer
It was wonderful to have so many of Freddie’s thoughts in one place but I found the way that the quotes were compiled and given without much context left a lot to be desired.
Chris
Apr 28, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: non-fiction
Excellent
Claire
Jun 20, 2019 rated it it was amazing
2019 Pride month read #17

We stan a bi icon.

A little repetitive at times, but still quite unique and enjoyable, even for casual fans (such as me) who might not know all the facts and all the dates.
Yue
Three days ago was the 24th anniversary of Freddie's death. What a talented artist. I loved this biography. It is different from others because there is no "he was born XX date", or "when he was a little boy, this and that happened". No, it is a compendium of interviews Freddie gave throughout his life, all in his own words.

Reading the book is like being in the same room with Freddie, he sitting on a couch, smoking his cigarette (I can't believe he used to smoke, with that voice! but he said he
Aurora
Jun 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
4.5/5 stars
A lovely insight in the life of such a wonderful human being. It shows us Freddie the way he was - creative, hilarious, loving, temperamental, strong minded, posh, sometimes cheeky, irrational and confused by life, a man that truly knew how to enjoy life and love people but had been disappointed and let down too many times. Imperfect and perfect at the same time, wonderfully human, a true inspiration and an unbreakable spirit. We will never knew the true Freddie Mercury. I think somet
Dot Gumbi
Oct 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
I think this is a 5 star book, but I'll admit to being biased.

I've read a few Freddie Mercury books (as part of research for a novel I'm working on about a Freddie Mercury impersonator) but none of them came close to giving me what this book gave me - the words of the man himself.

The book is a patchwork of quotes cribbed from various interviews over Mercury's career - as such there can be a lot of repetition, which might turn off some people, but whilst many books have been written with others s
Sofia B
Sep 30, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
reading this book gives you another perspective of Freddie Mercury, you can think that only by listening queen song's you know their inpiration, and everything about them, but going through each one of the chapters you realice you didn't kwen anything.
one thing is sure, you will laugh, cry, feel emotional, laught out loud, feel arrogant, proud, it's a complete journey that could only be told by the only and unique Freddie Mercury.
Kim
Aug 15, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: biography-memoir
This book runs on an assumption that you know a lot about Freddie Mercury already. I don't so I did not get as much out of this as I would have liked. I read this before a straight biography that would have given me more insight to who he was and where he came first. This book is all quotes of Mercury, published after his death,but it seems with permission as his mom provides the forward. It is a good book, but unless you area mega fan, you should read a bio first.
Trish
Aug 19, 2012 rated it liked it
As much as I would have liked to give the book a higher rating, and I know the authors do have a preamble explaining the context, I would have liked to have had more information on dates and times of the articles attributed to Freddie. In the absence of dates it is rather confusing at times.

Donnell
Aug 28, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is basically a collection of quotes from Freddie Mercury during his life. It's not bad, but probably not interesting for someone who is not a huge fan. Also I am not reading the Spanish Edition. I must have clicked on that icon not realizing it was that edition.
Ira
Feb 14, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Incredible, really exciting for those who adore this person, real man, who "did it his way"!

• Freddie Mercury
  • Crazy Diamond: Syd Barrett and the Dawn of Pink Floyd
  • I'm Awesome: One Man's Triumphant Quest to Become the Sweetest Dude Ever
  • To the Limit: The Untold Story of the Eagles
  • Rock Bottom: Dark Moments in Music Babylon
“If i had to do it all over again? Why not, I would do it a little bit differently.” 59 likes
“Когато имам връзка, винаги участвам в нея с цялото си сърце. Не съм привърженик на половинчатите мерки и на компромисите. Просто не мога да понасям никакви компромиси. Раздавам се целия, защото съм си такъв.

Опитвам се да се сдържам, когато някой ме привлича, но просто не мога да контролирам любовта и тя се развихря. Твърде бързо се включвам и накрая винаги се оказвам наранен. Може би просто привличам неподходящите хора? Целият съм в белези. Но не мога иначе, понеже съм мек по душа.”
5 likes