Start by marking “Die Nadel” as Want to Read:
Die Nadel

Die Nadel

4.17  ·  Rating details ·  106,071 Ratings  ·  2,203 Reviews
>It is 1944, only months, and then weeks before D-Day. The Allies have set up an ersatz armada of ships and planes in East Anglia, clever shells to divert German attention to the shores of Calais, and away from D-Day's actual landing site of Normandy. It seems to be working. But if one enemy agent should learn of the plan, just one. . .

His code name is "Die Nadel," "Th

Hardcover, Bild Bestseller Bibliothek #5, 336 pages
Published November 26th 2006 by Weltbild Buchverlag (first published May 1978)

To ask other readers questions about Die Nadel, please sign up.
Theresa Draper I think you would like this book. It was his first best-seller. He writes a lot of political thrillers which I like, but he also writes literature. I…moreI think you would like this book. It was his first best-seller. He writes a lot of political thrillers which I like, but he also writes literature. I would suggest you read his trilogy of Kingsbridge, starting with the enormously successful "Pillars of the Earth", great historical fiction. (less)
Anne Dyken Matthew 19:24. Bible verse that says it is easier for a camel to go through the eye of a needle than for a rich man to gain eternal life . . .

StoryTellerShannon
This was the novel that gave Follet star quality status in publishing circles. Not only was it a best seller but it also was adapted into a movie, starring Donald Sutherland.

Here are some reasons to read THE EYE OF THE NEEDLE:

(1) PRECISION: you like reading about cool, precise heroes or anti-heroes or villains who are painfully precise in their plans, the best at what they do and are totally "stone cold.";

(2) WWII BUFF: you love to read about the "big thrills" of WWII; this has it since the Ge
Matt
Today, most people know Ken Follett as the author of mammoth works of historical fiction. I mean, we’re talking novels that would make War and Peace turn and run like Napoleon’s troops from Moscow. (See what I did there?) It’s a known fact that you can construct a home able to withstand an F5 tornado solely from copies of Pillars of the Earth, World Without End and Fall of Giants. (Note: this house will not have doors, windows, a roof, or the ability to withstand an F5 tornado).

Before he starte
Sanjay Gautam
Dec 22, 2012 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Clichéd and predictable: an ultimate disaster. Wasted my precious time on this one.
Jason Koivu
Dec 08, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Eye of the Needle, a sharply-written WWII era thriller, is miles away in style and length from the mammoth, medieval epics Follett would later create. Though not a mindbendingly difficult read, the quality of the writing was already present at this early stage. Extra kudos must be given to any author who can switch gears and dabble in different genres. Working outside your comfortable corner can not be the easiest thing to do.
ChopinFC
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favorites, follett
full review…

Again I am truly mesmerized by Ken Follett's imagination his writing style and this absolute gem of a book Eye of the Neddle. This is an incredible novel that will keep you on the edge of your seat, with massive suspense, thriller and the elaborate machinations that only Follet could design! I'm truly shook!

"In wartime, truth is so precious that she should always be attended by a bodyguard of lies. "

—Winston Churchill

Eye of the Needle became Follett’s first ‘breakthrough’ book, the
Stjepan Cobets
Apr 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Excellent thriller where the action is happening at the time of the Second World War.
Nikki
Carl Sandburg said (in another context) "it pays to have a good forgettery." In this case, a good forgettery allowed me to reread Ken Follett's EYE OF THE NEEDLE (British title, STORM ISLAND) with every bit as much enjoyment as when I first read it 30 years ago. Also, having recently reread THE DAY OF THE JACKAL, it was fun to compare these two similar, but different, thrillers.

Both books feature multiple points of view -- quite a few of them in Follett's case -- and on both sides of the good gu
Eli Easton
Mar 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Read for my lifetime challenge (1978).

This is a fantastic page-turner that outshines most contemporary thrillers. I could hardly bear to put it down for the day and a half it took me to devour it!

The story is set during WWII just before the allies invade at Normandy. This first offensive by British, US and allied forces could determine the entire war. The only chance they have is if they can land where the Germans aren't expecting them. Otherwise they'll be decimated as they try to get their arm
Leon Enciso
May 06, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: decepciones
3,5

Remonto al final.
Pavellit Off
This is my first Follett book I have read and he has a very enjoyable, concise and precise style of writing. The year is 1944, and a German spy (code-name: "the Needle") has photos that could damage the Allies' plans for D-Day. While trying to get the photos to a U-boat, he is shipwrecked on a remote island off the coast of Scotland, which is home to a loveless and amputee man, his lonely wife, and their three-year-old child. This is an enthralling wartime (WW2) thriller with a interesting plot ...more
Abubakar Mehdi
A fast paced World War 2 thriller, set against the backdrop of D-Day plans secretly laid by the British. The story is very engrossing, making it a real turner and a thrilling experience, but I felt that there were a bit too many clichés. It started off pretty well, but by the end it felt like a Hollywood style spy-flick.

The writing is quite good at times, while on some occasions the lines were overtly simplistic, the romantic intrigue was mostly about sex and nothing more.

Throughout the readin
Lewis Weinstein
Among the best thrillers ever. My comments about Follett's approach to the actual history in his historical novel "Eye of the Needle" can be found in my author blog ... http://lewweinsteinauthorblog.com/201...

Follett starts with a one page historical preface about the D-Day deception. He ends the preface … “That much is history. What follows is fiction. Still and all, one suspects something like this must have happened.”

The high stakes of blowing the deception plan are emphasized several times …
JoJo
Apr 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I would have read this book in a day, but I had to work when I started it. However, I did manage to finish it coming home after drinking wine & finishing with Heradura- rather than pass out I managed to complete it. Well Done, Mr Follet, Well Done!!

I loved this book so much, was reading on my nook and I was hooked after page 13. I gave it 5 stars, but I really would have given it 4.5 if I could, only because I would have preferred an alternate ending. Ken Follett is a genius. The whole time
Michael
This is my first Ken Follett book (much to the disappointment of my wife) but I wanted to tackle something small before attempting on of his epics. Eye of the Needle tells the story of a German master spy ‘The Needle’ and his attempt to uncover the plans of the English army during World War 2 (a few weeks before D-Day). This book was a little light on the espionage and too much focused on the generic thriller formula. I also felt the feeling of World War 2 was missed; this book could have been a ...more
S©aP
May 27, 2012 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Il primo Ken Follett e, secondo me, il migliore. Rapido, incisivo, appassionante. Appassionato, anche. Ma, soprattutto, genuino nell'invenzione. Prima che la notorietà gli consentisse stuoli di ricercatori, complessità meno fresche e una vaga supponenza.
Carla Soares
Habitualmente tenho de pensar um pouco antes de escrever uma opinião. Desta vez, sei com exactidão porque tem 3 estrelas apenas.

Esta foi a minha primeira experiência com Follet e não me apaixonei. Sei que lerei pelo menos Os Pilares da Terra, mas não é provável que volte a ler um (dele) deste género.

A história é interessante, mas não me agarrou, como acho que uma história de espiões deve fazer. Há certos livros que podemos ir lendo e desfrutando, mas um deste género deve, para mim, suscitar uma
Sonia Gomes
Mar 13, 2009 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Every fan of World War II
Tom LA
Apr 29, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In an interview, Ken Follett said this was his first really successful novel (after having written about 10 previous ones that are now forgotten), and he thought the reason of its success was that for the first time he had put a lot of effort in building a great structure. This is pretty evident while reading this book: the best structure is the one you don't notice, because you are so drawn into the story.
Eye of the needle is a brilliant spy thriller with a clever plot, an accurate historic ba
Bill
Aug 06, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Heinrich Faber is Jason Bourne before there was a Jason Bourne. He is a great ani-hero. The book is gritty and you have to keep in mind that you are in the world of the mid 1930s and 40s… to it can be painfully slow… It is not written in a “cool” American style with double back flips and “mind blowing” technology. It is more British, meaning there is a methodical story of detail. within the characters there are a lot of inner emotions. and the story tends to allow for a lot of complaining. But t ...more
Lisa
WWII spy is on the run but closely followed. I kept switching loyalties throughout which was a good tactic by Follett. Who do I trust? The story moves between the spy and a newly married couple living on an island. Of course they'll eventually meet. This seemed too formulaic and cliche, but liked most of the writing. Very different from other sweeping Follett novels which I love. Probably better to have read than listened. Dramatic voice overs not appreciated.
Rich
Mar 10, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
It has been a while since I read a Follett novel and it was pretty good. I always enjoy a good world war 2 yarn. It did have some fluff which bogged down the story but I say go ahead and give this novel a spin
Tara Moss
Aug 20, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: crime
'She said: ‘Can I have a word with you?’
He seemed to hesitate, then said: ‘I’m undressed.’
‘So am I,’ she giggled, and she opened the door with her duplicate key. He was standing in front of the radio with some kind of screwdriver in his hand. He wore his trousers and no singlet. His face was white and he looked scared to death.
She stepped inside and closed the door behind her, not knowing what to say. Suddenly she remembered a line from an American film, and she said: ‘Would you buy a lonely
Sara Berbigão
Aug 11, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
"(...)Achei a escrita de Ken Follett fantástica! Simples, mas bastante atrativa. E achei brilhante o facto de me fazer "torcer" pelo espião, ou seja, pela pessoa que eu na realidade nunca quereria que tivesse sucesso. Mas a verdade é que quando estava a ler o livro (quase) queria que ele tivesse sucesso - na medida em que fosse ficção.
Adorei completamente o livro, recomendo vivamente a toda a gente."
(Opinião completa:http://encantodashistorias.blogspot.p...)
Anne
May 20, 2008 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very satisfying book. Reminded me of drinking a glass of chocolate milk -- like I just enjoyed it so much I couldn't take a break until it was gone, and when I finished I was like, "ah, that was good." But I suspected somewhere deep down that it's junk-foodyness outweighed its nutritional value.
Diana Long
Apr 15, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
In his first successful novel, the author creates a character, Henry Faber, a German spy with the code name “Die Nadel” or The Needle (his weapon of choice in dispatching his enemies being a stiletto), who has managed to avoid detection and is the biggest threat to the allies plan of the surprise D-Day invasion at Normandy. Most of the scenarios involve Faber as we follow him through England into Scotland where he plans to make his escape with his valuable information. Plenty of intense moments ...more
Dana
Jul 10, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
I like books about WWII.
A don't quite know where this passion comes but it doesn't matter.
I wanted to read Ken Follet for a very long time. Veeeery long time.
But this book...
This book!!!
It is read very easily, I was expecting this book to be hard to get through. But, no.
It is fast-paced, full of action, secrets and, obviously, spies.
And the ending...
Wow....
I won't be expecting it, believe me.
Stiven Salazar
Dec 21, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
muy buen libro de espionaje, primer libro que leo de follet y como me ah gustado, unos personajes memorables y un misterio que no puede ser descubierto. Tiene un inicio que te atrapa, hostias de amor en gatos y sexo que no paran de sorprenderte, un muy buen thriller sobre la segunda guerra mundial que no dejará indiferente a nadie
Joe Stamber
May 11, 2011 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: read-2011, audio
When the radio packed up in my car and I got fed up of listening to music, I came up with the idea of trying an audio book. In all my years of reading, audio is one format I've never tried, so it was a new experience for me. And was I pleased I gave it a chance! My half hour journey to work (same one for 19 years!) was a real drag, but now I almost look forward to taking a steady drive to work while listening to the latest installment. Admittedly, I may have slightly overrated EotN because of my ...more
Wendy Welch
This is really sad. What I learned from this book was, when you clean a bookshelf in your bookstore and wind up handling 400 or so pulp thriller war novels, you automatically become interested in that genre for awhile. My husband and I spent the two snowstorm days of extra Christmas vacation cleaning our Westerns,War and Guys with Big Guns section and reshelving them so they can be seen - and thus purchased! Marketing is so simple. And then we packed a box of books and some wine and went down to ...more
MD Factor Vitamin C Serum 1 4 Oct 30, 2017 04:50AM
HydraLuxe Radiant Eye Serum 1 1 Aug 20, 2017 11:10PM
http://phytolyft.com/fit-firm-eye-serum/ 1 4 Jul 24, 2017 01:59PM
please add cover for my joint book project 1 2 Oct 26, 2016 02:01PM
Around the Year i...: Eye of the Needle, by Ken Follett 5 49 Aug 20, 2016 05:29AM
please add book cover from goodreads 1 9 May 30, 2015 02:27PM
What's the Name o...: SOLVED. Island, sleeping with the enemy, part of reader's digest collection [s] 7 122 May 10, 2014 05:02PM
  • The Odessa File
  • The Eagle Has Landed (Liam Devlin, #1)
  • Gorky Park (Arkady Renko, #1)
  • Six Days of the Condor
  • The Scarlatti Inheritance
  • Mexico Set (Bernard Samson, #2)
  • Assignment in Brittany
  • The Eiger Sanction (Jonathan Hemlock, #1)
  • The Unlikely Spy
  • Black Cross
  • Smiley's People
  • The Charm School
  • Presumed Innocent
Ken Follett is one of the world’s most successful authors. Over 160 million copies of the 31 books he has written have been sold in over 80 countries and in 33 languages.

Born on June 5, 1949, in Cardiff, Wales, the son of a tax inspector, Ken was educated at state schools and went on to graduate from University College, London, with an Honours degree in philosophy. He was made a fellow of the coll
More about Ken Follett

$8.24 $1.99
  • The Shepherdess of Siena
  • The Man Who Could Be King
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Wildflowers (Glenbrooke, #8)
    $9.99 $1.99
  • A Mother's Secret (Hearts of Lancaster Grand Hotel #2)
  • Chasing Rainbows: A Novel
  • The Vagrants
  • The Perfect Son
    $4.49 $1.99
  • The Winnowing Season (Amish Vines and Orchards, #2)
  • The Feathered Bone
  • Woman Last Seen in Her Thirties
  • A Reunion Of Ghosts
  • Crooked Little Lies
    $4.99 $1.99
  • Our Own Country (The Midwife, #2)
    $5.49 $1.99
  • The Women in the Castle
  • Kat and Meg Conquer the World
    $8.99 $1.99
  • Hag-Seed (Hogarth Shakespeare)
  • News of the World
  • Black Swan Green
  • London
  • The Swans of Fifth Avenue
    $13.99 $1.99
  • Shōgun (Asian Saga, #1)
    $9.99 $2.99
“The trouble with being inspired to perform the impossible was that the inspiration gave you no clues to the practical means.” 6 likes
“Blenkinsop sighed. "As usual, those of you who can think of better ways to win the war are invited to write directly to Mr. Winston Churchill, number 10 Downing Street, London South-West-One. Now, are there any questions, as opposed to stupid criticisms?” 3 likes