Start by marking “Dragon's Merry Christmas” as Want to Read:
Dragon's Merry Christmas

Dragon's Merry Christmas

(The Dragon Tales)

4.22  ·  Rating details ·  294 Ratings  ·  37 Reviews
Award-winning author/illustrator of the Captain Underpants series, Dav Pilkey's gentle blue Dragon (from the hit TV series) will charm beginning readers with his delightful Christmas adventures!

Dragon tries to make Christmas special each year. He picks the perfect tree and buys the perfect presents. But Dragon just can't bring himself to cut down a tree, and as he walks ho
Published October 1st 2003 by Orchard Books (first published 1991)

To ask other readers questions about Dragon's Merry Christmas, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Dragon's Merry Christmas

Kathryn
Dec 07, 2009 rated it it was amazing
If it hadn't been for the good reviews on Amazon, I would have passed on this because the cover art looks so cheezy! But, gosh, I'm so glad I read it. It's an absolutely wonderful collection of little stories rich with humor and heart and one of my very favorite holiday reads so far this season. Highly recommended!
Ann
Dec 08, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Recommended to Ann by: Katie!
I might have been tempted to give this book 4 1/2 stars, simply because there wasn't as much of a thread running through the chapters as I would have liked - but, it was so gosh darn cute that I didn't really care! (Okay, and I was thinking it was a dinosaur, for some reason, instead of a dragon, but that's really minor ;> )

I completely enjoyed this adorable story about a sweet dragon preparing for Christmas. If the last page/illustration does just warm your heart, I'm not sure what will. :)
Leslie
Dec 28, 2010 rated it liked it
I selected this book for my son's Christmas break reading collection. We just love that Dav Pilkey! These Dragon Tales books by Pilkey are very easy to read. They are perfect for the average first grader. I only wish that we had discovered them last year when they would have been a welcome and fun addition to his easy reader list. Now, being a big and bad 2nd grader, they were too easy. We did appreciate that silly Pilkey humour, found here in somewhat lesser quantities than in his later series, ...more
Cheryl
Sep 03, 2017 rated it it was amazing
(Labeled on title page as "third" in series. It might help you to read the first book first, but it's not important. Except that it is, because it's a wonderful book. :)

Ok, this is a terrific book. I'm an atheist who is sick and tired of the 99% of Christmas books out there because they're implausible and way too sweet. But this is perfect. You can tell Dragon has the "Christmas Spirit" all year long. And those readers who are Christian assuredly like this as much as those who celebrate the holi
Emily
Dec 04, 2017 rated it it was amazing
My favorite part was Dragon and his wreath. These books never fail to crack me up.
Nicola
Jul 01, 2018 rated it really liked it
What a contrast to Captain Underpants! Miss 3 loves C. Undies so I thought I'd try some of Dave Pilkey's other works. His Dragon books have come as a pleasant surprise. A very different tone, morals are more about kindness and helpfulness, and Miss 3 has enjoyed them.

Miss 3 and I like to explore different books and authors at the library, sometimes around particular topics or themes. We try to get different ones out every week or so; it's fun for both of us to have the variety and to look at a m
Janice
Dec 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: kids-lit
Four short stories that teach a lesson for the younger reader. The stories begin with Dragon wanting the perfect Christmas tree to learning what happens if you overindulge with holiday treats. Told in ways that children will understand. Fun and heartwarming.
Jennifer Ranger
Although not as laugh-out-loud funny as some of the other Dragon books, this is still a cute addition to the series. It ends with a heart-felt Christmas story that shows the true meaning of Christmas. I highly recommend it.
Ryan
Jan 31, 2018 rated it it was amazing
This story just tears at your heart. In a good way. Dragon is preparing for Christmas, but can't put down a beautiful tree, can not resist the chocolate wreath, and even gives away his Christmas presents to those in need. I love Dragon. Such a role model.
Matt Garcia
May 24, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Cute Dragon tale that captures the heart of Christmas.
Becky
Dec 12, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Such a cute book with a wonderful ending worth reading with your child, inspiring a giving heart during the holiday season!
Lynn  Davidson
Jun 19, 2018 rated it really liked it
This is a chapter book of four short chapters easy to read - lovely stories that make one smile. Cute illustrations.
Katie Fitzgerald
Nov 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
In this 1991 easy reader by Captain Underpants creator Dav Pilkey, Dragon prepares to celebrate Christmas by selecting the perfect Christmas tree, making a wreath out of candy, making a Christmas list, and giving things away to friends who need them more than he does. I had never seen this book before, despite its age and the fact that it came from my own library’s collection, but I recognized it instantly as one of the best holiday books for kids I’ve ever read.

The story is touching in some pla
Rosa Cline
Dec 12, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: christmas, kids
This was a very good, sweet leaving you feeling good story. Dragon is getting ready for Christmas and so he sets out for the most perfect tree... when he finds 'it' he then realizes that it if he chops it down that it won't be 'as perfect' so he decorates it as it is and enjoys it outside through his window. Then later he decorates his house, and then goes shoping. After shopping he sees families and people whom have less than what he has and although he 'needs' the things he shops for he freely ...more
Vicki
Dec 05, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: chapter, picture
Was there ever a better Christmas book created, especially with such a lovable character as Dragon? Dav Pilkey incorporates a touching, ecological message with the first chapter called "The Perfect Christmas Tree". The 2nd chapter called "The Candy Wreath" is one of the most hilarious, true to life, rip roaring short stories EVER. "Mitten" the 3rd chapter is ha, ha-but more of a set up for the last chapter. Chapter 4 - "Merry Christmas Dragon" is a heartfelt story about giving beyond yourself an ...more
Pam ☼Because Someone Must Be a Thorn☼ Tee
There are four short stories in this Dav Pilkey book. The stories have winter and Christmas themes, and the book would be a good choice for reading aloud during book-time, or for practice reading for those reading above grade. (The writing is at the 3rd grade level.)

(spoilers)
In the first story sweet Dragon find the perfect tree but can't bring himself to cut it down. While the second and third stories deal with mittens and a delicious candy wreath.

The final story is about the true spirit of Chr
Jessie
Dec 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: childrens-books
This is a great Christmas book! I'm thinking because it didn't mention religion or Santa, that many parents from a wide spectrum would enjoy sharing this book with their kids.

We enjoy the other Dragon books, and this one was great and very sweet. Dragon goes and buys food, a coat, and a birdhouse for himself to enjoy Christmas. On his way home from the store, he ends up finding, one by one, people who need those things more than he does... and gives them all away. He arrives home empty handed b
Beth
May 18, 2010 rated it liked it
Shelves: children-s, christmas
The first section would be great to read when looking for a Christmas tree. Dragon finds the tree to be too perfect to cut, so he decorates it outside. In the second short story, he learns that making a candy wreath requires discipline. Next year it will be made of pinecones. In the third story Dragon gets mitten clips. He does a nice job keeping his mittens, but misplaces his jacket. In the fourth story, he learns to give to others. He hears angels singing, which really carolers are singing "Si ...more
Laura (Madsen) McLain
Dec 10, 2011 rated it really liked it
This early reader is divided into four chapters following Dragon (a cheerful, blue, horned beast) as he makes preparations for the holiday. In “The Perfect Christmas Tree,” Dragon searches for the perfect tree, but once he finds it he can’t bear to cut it down, so decorates it where it stands. In “Merry Christmas, Dragon,” he buys himself some presents but gives them away to creatures in need: food for hungry raccoons, a coat for an elderly rhino, and a birdhouse for a pair of lovebirds. This sw ...more
Dolly
Dec 07, 2008 rated it really liked it
Recommends it for: parents reading with their children
This is an interesting book with 4 short stories that are perfect for the Holiday season. Dragon finds the perfect Christmas tree, but then decides to decorate it outside instead of cutting it down. He makes a candy wreath and then eats it all. He finds the perfect solution to holding onto his mittens. And finally, he buys all sorts of presents for himself, but then finds the true joy of the season when he gives them all away. This last story is the best and is just the right way to introduce th ...more
ABC
Dec 21, 2008 rated it really liked it
Shelves: younger-kids
This funny book is divided in four very short chapters. The first is about Dragon decorating a tree, but inside of chopping it down, he leaves it outside. The second he make a candy wreath and eats it. The third is very short--he doesn't want to lose his mittens so he clips him to his coat. In the fourth, he buys Christmas presents for himself, but ends up giving them all away to animals who are needier than he is.
Tanya W
Jan 23, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Such a darling book that I wouldn't have thought to read except that I like to try books my friends on Goodreads have read and liked. It was really funny and also included a nice Christmas message about giving.
Cleo
Dec 10, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Dav Pilkey is so much more than Captain Underpants.
jacky
Dec 02, 2015 rated it really liked it
One of the first books in this years Christmas book advent. I expected Pilkey to be more funny, and less heartwarming. Pleasant surprise.
Dec 08, 2015 rated it really liked it
Look for "Starry Night" in the illustrations! Sneaking in that art!
Heidi
Jul 25, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: easy-reader
A nice Christmas message, but not as funny as the first two dragon books.
Teri
Dec 22, 2010 rated it really liked it
Fun beginning reader for Chrismtastime. My girls love it.
Deana Pittman
Nov 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Abbi loved the part where Dragon lost his coat after he bought clipon mittens!
Kate
Jan 04, 2013 rated it really liked it
Shelves: christmas, childrens
These are charming little Christmas stories, unexpected from the man who wrote Captain Underpants!
Peacegal
Dec 28, 2012 rated it liked it
A Pilkey gem. Sweet and funny.
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 next »
  • The Mouse Before Christmas
  • Night Tree
  • Merry Christmas, Strega Nona
  • Wombat Divine
  • The Dumb Bunnies' Easter (The Dumb Bunnies, #2)
  • Mouse's First Christmas
  • Angelina's Halloween
David "Dav" Pilkey (b. March 4, 1966), is a popular children's author and artist. Pilkey is best known as the author and illustrator of the Captain Underpants book series. He lives near Seattle, Washington with his wife, Sayuri.

The Dragon Tales (5 books)
  • A Friend For Dragon