Jump to ratings and reviews

Kingsmen Football Stars #1

You Had Your Chance, Lee Burrows

USA Today Bestselling Author, Piper Rayne, begins the Kingsmen Football Stars series with an enemies-to-lovers, second chance story set in the world of professional football.

Lee f’ing Burrows
The Kingsmen’s star quarterback.
Legendary throwing arm.
Six-pack abs.
Kissable lips.

Oh, but don’t forget, he’s also a lying, heartless egomaniac who broke my heart in college.

It took me years to build myself back up after his deceit, and now I have the dream opportunity to prove myself working as a sports therapist for a professional team.
The hurdle? Or mountain to be more accurate…

The job is with the San Francisco Kingsmen.

Back when I was a naïve college girl, I felt lucky that he even noticed me. Now eight years later, he’d be lucky if I gave him the time of day.

Which I won’t. Not ever.

Some people don’t deserve a second chance and Lee Burrows is one of them.

Now if someone could only tell him that because he’s hell-bent on scoring the winning touchdown and won’t accept that it’s game over for us.

260 pages, Kindle Edition

Published December 27, 2022

Loading interface...
Loading interface...

About the author

Piper Rayne

148 books4,245 followers
Piper Rayne is a USA Today Bestselling author duo. Our goal is to bring you romance stories that have "Heartwarming Humor With a Side of Sizzle" (okay...you caught us, that's our tagline). A little about us... We both have kindle’s full of one-clickable books. We're both married to husbands who drive us to drink. We're both chauffeurs to our kids. Most of all, we love hot heroes and quirky heroines that make us laugh, and we hope you do, too.

Amazon: http://amzn.to/2h5oycP
Facebook: http://bit.ly/2w1WDQe
Instagram: http://bit.ly/2wJhFnG
Pinterest: http://bit.ly/2BJj7ZB
Bookbub: http://bit.ly/2g95QRB
Website: www.piperrayne.com

Join our newsletter and get 5 FREE BOOKS!

photo ee6043e7-8b99-4926-8b84-5c65acf5dc92_zpsqsspj1ta.jpg

Our Books: We do things in 3’s. Three best friends. Three hot heroes. Three HEA’s.

Modern Love:

photo 7c689ea4-337f-4acd-b6fa-c6728cb2eb9b_zpsntyk04aq.png

Ratings & Reviews

What do you think?

Friends & Following

Create a free account to discover what your friends think of this book!

5 stars
37 (3%)
1 star
11 (<1%)
Displaying 1 - 30 of 418 reviews
Profile Image for Heather Adores Books.
621 reviews121 followers
February 5, 2023
4⭐

Book 1 in the Kingsmen Football Stars series. Please do yourself a favor and read the prequel False Start first as it gives the scoop of the bet that took place in college. There's a link to get it free on my review there.

Featuring ~ dual 1st person POV, met in college, characters in their late 20's, sports romance ~ football, quarterback, athletic trainer, office (field) romance, one sided enemies to lovers, secret dating, steamage

Lee & Shayna
Shayna is the new athletic trainer and Lee is the star quarterback of the San Francisco Kingsmen. They haven't seen each other in 8 years after a bet drew a wedge in their budding relationship. Shayna tries to stay mad at Lee, but it's super hard when he's genuinely sorry for what he did and he's got rock hard, smooth abs to boot.

Yes it's predictable because we know how the sneaking around due to a no fraternizing policy will turn out if you've read the trope before. The usual conflict towards the end I could have went without, but all wrapped up perfectly.

It was exciting meeting some of the players on the team and I'm looking forward to each of their books. Up next is You Can't Kiss the Nanny, Brady Banks.
After I am done with their football series I will most definitely have to check out the Hockey Hotties.

*Thanks to Piper Rayne and Valentine PR for the ARC. I am voluntarily leaving my honest review*

Follow me here ➡ Blog ~ Facebook
Profile Image for Lina.
313 reviews25 followers
January 2, 2023
I wanted to read Lee's book, since I finished Kane's book. I also read the prequel novella, where it is explained how Lee broke Shayna's heart. I felt for her and I was soo soo mad at him. But then again, I wanted to find out how he accepted thing and If for him was just a one time thing. Well, it turns out that it wasn't.

I loved both of them as a couple. In my opinion he did justified himself and I was soo glad that he wasn't giving up on her. She deserves to be happy and loved.

We also had plenty of sexy and steamy scenes and I loved loved loved them.

There was a little bit of drama regarding Shayna's place within the medical team and how it will affect her future, but in the end everything got sorted out with the help of side characters. I did however found out that those characters are from Piper Rayne's other series and I will definately read them when I have the chance 😍.

Now, I am excited about the next book - Brady's book. This one will be fun 😁.

***I received ARC copy from Grey's Promotion and this is my voluntary review.***
Profile Image for christyheartsbooks.
1,004 reviews26 followers
December 27, 2022
Shayna has worked her butt off to get her dream job as a sports therapist for an NFL team. She is beyond happy to have finally achieved her goal with the San Francisco Kingsman. There is only one little problem: Lee Burrows, quarterback for the Kingsmen and one that broker her heart in college. Lee has always felt that Shayna was the one that got away but he knew it was his fault. Now that she is back in his life, he isn't going to let her get away again.

First, you need to read false start. Gives you the backstory on how they went wrong all those years ago in college. I read it after the fact and wished that I had read it before hand. Didn't mean I didn't love Lee and Shayna any less because let me tell you I adored them! These two were so much fun. Their banter and tension were on point. I loved their push and pull and when they finally gave in (or shall I say Shayna gave in) to their feelings it was spectacular! Loved the world building and cannot wait to see where the rest of the Kingsmen take us.
Profile Image for The Romantic Rush Blog.
1,571 reviews738 followers
December 29, 2022
I was so excited to start a new Piper Rayne sports series- especially after my love for their hockey hotties world! You Had Your Chance, Lee Burrows is a fantastic beginning to the Kingsman Football world. Brimming with all of the swoony charisma and heartfelt charm that I adore about Piper Rayne’s work. All the banter, all the sweet moments, and another great ensemble I know I’m going to adore. I’m already in love with this whole crew.

In this first outing with the Kingsman crew, we have a bit of a forbidden, a bit of a second chance, and a bit of the forbidden as hot shot quarterback Lee Burrows discovers his team’s new athletic trainer is none other than his former flame from his college days- the girl whose heart his shattered. Their chemistry and sizzle immediately resparks, but Shayna isn’t ready to forgive and forget their past. And a non-fraternization expectation for their professional behavior isn’t helping them either. But they can’t seem to deny there is something there still between them- and Lee is wanting to right his past wrongs.

This is loads of fun, and I also really enjoyed the audio narration. The story is banter-filled, with tons of enemies to lovers vibes, so it was perfect for audio performance. And we have such a delightful ensemble in the football players on the team. Piper Rayne always creates a big ole pack of characters that feel like (or sometimes are) family- and I can’t wait to see all of these characters over the course of the series. Lee is a fun lading man- hard working, a good teammate, a decent guy who is trying to be an even better guy. While at times I wish he was a bit less nonchalant about the risks she was taking, overall he’s quite a swoony book boyfriend. And Shayna certainly is his match- she’s sassy and capable and incredibly strong. He’s not going to make it easy for him. Their push and pull builds lots of great tension, but in true Piper Rayne fashion we don’t have TOO much, just a lot of sass, sweet, and steam.

Can’t wait for our next Kingsman’s story!

Profile Image for Irma *Irma The Book Whisperer*.
1,455 reviews114 followers
December 19, 2022
Kingsmen Football Stars Series starts with a False Start. Make sure to read that short novella prequel first for a better understanding of why Shayna's not smitten with Lee.

Years have gone by...

Shayna accepts her dream job. She'd be working with the Kingsmen Football Club. The club Lee plays for. She's well aware of it, but she hopes she'll be able to avoid him as much as possible.

This was seriously an addicting read. From the moment their eyes connected nothing else existed but the two of them. They had this crazy attraction and sizzling chemistry. Seeing Shayna trying to fight it was so amusing.

I was mesmerized with the story, main characters, and secondary characters and their journey. I loved every moment of You Had Your Chance, Lee Burrows.
Profile Image for Maria.
390 reviews34 followers
December 28, 2022
First book in a new series. I recommend you read the novella False Start first, because this tells the story how Lee and Shayna met and what caused their 8 year separation. This guy grovelled! And she didn’t make it easy for him. He had to work for forgiveness. I liked Lee. He sure messed up in college, but after reading the novella you sympathize with him. He had good intentions, but was a dumb college boy and now he made his bed. He does everything possible to win Shayna back. It’s obvious she’s weary and doesn’t want to give her heart to him again, after breaking it in college. There were some steamy sexy times, lots and lots of grovel, a big grand gesture and swoony times. I loved this first book and curious to read the next ones. I hope Miles will be paired with Bryce, but most of all I hope he will get his own book and this will be number 4 🙏🏻 I love a good sports romance and this one did the trick! Recommend!

Safe read. Hero manwhore in college, not sure about him now. Both not celibate during 8 year separation. I think hero got around more than heroine 🙄 Both celibate since reuniting. Lots of jealousy on hero part with her interacting with other team mates. She also goes on a double date with best friend and two OM, nothing happened but hero sees and is jealous. Surprisingly no OW drama, waking up with OW in opening chapter or references to sex with OW. Yay 👏🏻👏🏻 No cheating.
This entire review has been hidden because of spoilers.
Profile Image for Nadine Bookaholic.
3,560 reviews308 followers
December 28, 2022
I really enjoy the writing duo of Piper Rayne, and it's stories like this one that have me continuously reading their books. I did receive an ARC but since the audiobook was released early I purchased the audio and I am so glad that I did because Joe Arden and Callie Dalton did a phenomenal job with bringing Lee Burrows and Shayna Kudrow to life.

Lee and Shayna dated in College but it came to a screeching halt when Shayna found out Lee had made a bet with a teammate about getting Shayna into bed with him...guys should learn that women have a way of always finding things out and maybe they'd stop doing dumb things. Well, here we are eight years later and Shayna has just been hired on as one of the Kingsmen's trainers and Lee is their star quarterback.

I loved the fact that Lee has always thought about how he screwed things up and now he has a chance to redeem himself and possibly get a second chance but you know there are going to be obstacles in their way.

I would recommend this book to those that enjoy Steamy Sports Contemporary Romances, Enemies-to-Lovers Romance, Second Chance Romances, or Workplace Romances.

Happy Reading!!!

Find out more here ➡ https://bit.ly/NBReviewYHYCLB

You Had Your Chance, Lee Burrows by piper rayne

Nadine's Obsessed with Books **I have voluntarily reviewed an Advanced Readers Copy of this book for my Blog, Nadine's Obsessed with Books
**I also purchased an audiobook copy
You can find me here:  https://linktr.ee/NadineBookaholic
Profile Image for PP's Bookshelf.
1,993 reviews290 followers
December 28, 2022
Nothing can be more exciting than finishing the year with beginning of a brand new sports romance series from Piper Rayne. You Had Your Chance, Lee Burrows is everything I adore in Piper Rayne's books! I absolutely loved the witty banter, sizzling hot chemistry and heartwarming feels. The enemies to lovers tension and thrill of forbidden romance was driving me crazy. And the bromance of San Francisco Kingsman team is epic.

Star quarterback of San Francisco Kingsman, Lee Burrows faces a blast from the past. Shayna Kudrow, the team's new athletic trainer and whose heart he broke in college unwillingly but she never forgave him. They still have the chemistry and Lee is determined to show Shayna that he is a good man. But their relationship is forbidden and casual isn't doing it for them.

What I love about Piper Rayne's sports romance is how it introduces us to a whole team of players who are like family. They got me invested to the entire team's story from this first one! That is crazy! They have this unique way of creating very relatable and charming characters who make me fall in love instantly. Lee Burrows is a great hero. He has a great sense of humor. The football is his life and he is dedicated to his sports. He didn't have a very happy childhood and so he works extra hard to prove himself. He made a mistake in college and before he could rectify it, his lies came out and Shayna didn't give him a second chance. I love how protective and caring and when time requires, possessive he is. Shayna has become a stronger and more assertive woman after the massive heartbreak in college. I love her sassy attitude! She is fiercely independent and always put herself first. They have an instant spark from the first day they meet in training and it is clear they haven't gotten over each other. Then it's a game of cat and mouse and I enjoyed that chase so much. I absolutely loved the push and pull! They were risking a lot. Shayna had to believe in Lee and in her heart and Lee did prove to her that he isn't just playing games with her. Every love story becomes sweeter with a bit of hurdle. And now I am looking forward to Brady Banks!

I reviewed an early copy voluntarily
Profile Image for Mia.
2,113 reviews473 followers
January 3, 2023

For second chance romance, this was cute, but it didn't have enough of angst. Supporting characters carried this, especially grumpy Chase and single dad Brady.
Profile Image for Koko Casey.
116 reviews186 followers
February 5, 2023
Short, sweet and spicy 👀

First off, the voice actors for this audiobook were AMAZING! This book didn’t have too much going on plot wise, but it was still overall just a really fun listen. The spice was definitely spicing!

Highly recommend if you’re just looking for something to keep you busy on commutes or while doing errands!

Make sure to read/listen to the prequel, False Start, before going into this one!
Profile Image for Dani (Daniiireads).
1,113 reviews64 followers
December 18, 2022
3.5 ⭐️ rounded up

Tropes:
- sports (football)
- second chance
- work place (sports trainer + NFL player)

Lee Burrows, QB1 for the San Francisco Kingsmen, is in the last year of his contract and wanting to blow this season out of the water to get resigned to the team that’s become his second family. All of that gets put on the back burner when his biggest regret walks through the door as the newest sports therapist for the team, and he’ll do anything in his power to her Shayna Kudrow to forgive him.

Eight years ago Shayna got her heart broken by Lee after learning their relationship was built on a lie—a bet. Now she’s living her dream of being a therapist for an NFL team, and she refuses to let Lee Burrows ruin that for her. Thrust together again thanks to Lee getting injured, the pair mend their issues, and the chemistry that was always between them gets set ablaze.

Unfortunately thanks to a no fraternization policy, Lee and Shayna have to keep their relationship secret or else her job is at stake. Of course shit hits the fan, the pair get outed, and Shayna’s dreams go up in smoke. My biggest gripe was how quickly all this was swept under the rug and then the book just ends with them living happily ever after… Like girl just lost her dream job but it’s fine she’s still got her man 🤣👌🏻

Other than that I liked You Had Your Chance, Lee Burrows and am intrigued enough to continue the series
Profile Image for Jodi - JodiReadsnListens.
594 reviews20 followers
December 23, 2022
**Audio Review**
Sweet Shy Pie! You Had Your Chance, Lee Burrows by Piper Rayne was a sassy and steamy second chance enemies-to-lovers sports romance that scored a winning touchdown in my heart! When it comes to sports romances, I can always count on Piper Rayne to bring the quick wit, spice, and swoon! Lee and Shayna have that opposites attract connection fueled by fiery hot sexual tension that will captivate your attention from start to finish.

Callie Dalton and Joe Arden narrate this audio in duet, and both were magic in bringing Shayna and Lee to life! Callie was fantastic at portraying Shayna's defensive, lively, and determined persona to live her dream as an NFL athletic trainer, and at the same time resist the devilishly handsome quarterback Lee Burrows. Joe embodied all things, Lee Burrows! He captured Lee's arrogant football dominance, but also his apologetic, dreamy persona as he strove to win Shayna's heart once and for all. Plus, give me all those whisper-growls! Both narrators brought the heat with Lee and Shayna's magnetic attraction!

Overall, I LOVED this book! If you are a fan of an enemies-to-lovers football romance with a hot hunky quarterback, a strong dedicated athletic trainer, second chances, apologizing for the past, all the sexual tension, new best friends, San Francisco, reliable teammates, fancy Galas, steamy training sessions, forbidden secrets, and a HEA that will have you cheering, then you will love Lee and Shayna's story. I'm looking forward to more in this Kingsmen Football Stars series!
Profile Image for gretareadsromance.
663 reviews44 followers
December 23, 2022
Piper Rayne does sports romance so well and I am here for this football series!

Lee and Shayna met in college but with one stupid move he lost her. Now many years later they find themselves working together where relationships are forbidden. That pull they had in college is still there but what are they willing to sacrifice to stay together?

This second chance romance was a great read. It was not only steamy but held all the emotional moments as well. These two were meant to be together but had so much standing in the way, including themselves. Also I love the tie in to the Hockie Hotties - hello Kane! If you love sports romance definitely grab this one. The next book featuring Brady sounds like a great one too!
Profile Image for Erin Lewis.
3,994 reviews119 followers
December 29, 2022
5 Star Review You Had Your Chance Lee Burrows (Kingsmen Football Stars #1) by Piper Rayne

AUDIO REVIEW:

Whenever I pick up a new book by Piper Rayne I know I am in for an emotional, witty well written story that will leave me with a smile on my face. When I heard that Piper Rayne had a new series releasing I was so excited. It was everything I was hoping for and more.

If You Had Your Chance Lee Burrows is anything to go by then they are off to a flying start. I was hooked on Shayna Kudrow and Lee Burrow’s second chance at love story from the first chapter.

Years ago Lee made a mistake and broke Shayna’s heart, now when she accepts her dream job with the Kingsmen Football Club she knows she will have to face her past. Lee is determined to make amends for the past and I loved how much more there was to him that just a brash, cocky football player.

The banter was witty, the chemistry scorching, the other players, particularly Miles were engaging and there were moments where my heart almost broke for both Shayna and Lee.

Joe Arden and Callie Dalton did a fabulous job with their narration. They brought the humour, passion and emotions to life with their performances. The voices are easy to listen to and worked well together.

This was an entertaining read that ticked every box for me.

Profile Image for Sassy Southern Book Blog.
3,648 reviews215 followers
January 3, 2023
Lord help but my girls Piper Rayne have done it again!! Like totally scored a touchdown with this book!! I mean let's start with how you could feel the awkwardness, the heat, the chemistry, the fire just coming through your kindle. Especially the fire whenever Lee and Shayna got near each other!! Like I thought my kindle was going to melt!! Then the boys talking about grand gestures.....priceless!!! And those cameos....those cameos!!!! Look this book was just absolutely fantastic, amazing, absolutely perfect!! And I am so excited for the series!! Like meeting these guys I am truly truly excited for this series!! I am on edge for this series now!! Like I've been waiting for Lee and Shayna's book since we got their sneak peak but now we have really gotten into the bones of this series I cannot freaking wait to really sink my teeth into these guys!!! And I am calling dibs on every single one of them....lol 5 stars isn't enough for this book!! Lee and Shayna's book was absolutely perfect!! If you want to learn how to write the perfect romcom just read this book, it's the perfect example!! ~ By Tina

Lee Burrows is the star quarterback of the San Francisco Kingsman but is in contract year and he knows he needs to have a stand out year if he is going to get another great contract and stay in San Francisco where he wants to be. He doesn’t expect any distractions but when the team hires his college ex-girlfriend he knows he may be in for it.

Shayna Kudrow knows that Lee plays for the Kingsman when she is hired for the job as a personal trainer but she also knows that this is the opportunity that she has been waiting for. She is not going to let Lee wreck her chance at a successful career and she knows that means keeping him at a very far distance.

Yet when Lee and Shayna begin to work together they can’t deny the chemistry they have but they also there is a no player/personnel fraternization policy and Shayna has way more to lose than Lee.

This is another great book by Piper Rayne and I was so excited to get my hands on it! It’s been too long since I read one of their books and I was happy to dive right in.

Lee is another great male character with that cocky attitude and yet beneath it all he is seriously worried about having a good season in order to get a good contract. I really loved Lee’s long standing friendship with Miles and how Miles knew Lee was in trouble the moment they spotted Shayna. I loved how initially Lee was pretending that he had no idea who Shayna was and they kept it up for a long time.

Shayna knew she struggled with resisting Lee the first time but he humiliated her in college and she had no desire to go thru that again. She knew she was going to have to face him with her job but she also told herself that she was strong enough not to make that mistake again.

There was obviously so much chemistry between the two of them right from the beginning but they both had things from the past that they needed to work through. They also both worked for the same organization and had signed their names to agreements stating that they would not be involved in a work place relationship. So right away you knew if something was going to happen it was going to go sideways!

This book didn’t contain some of the antics we’ve seen in other books by them but this book really flowed well and I was vested in finding what happened from start to finish! I loved the way everything ended and the surprise big change was awesome.

I can’t wait to see what happens next! 4 stars- Rebecca
Profile Image for Erin Lewis.
3,994 reviews119 followers

AUDIO REVIEW:

This was an entertaining read that ticked every box for me.

Profile Image for bookspaced.
581 reviews17 followers
December 27, 2022
What more could Piper Rayne bring us that we haven‘t already fallen in love with from them? Single Dads? Tight Friendgroups? Familys so big you don‘t know who‘s your favorite? Hockey Hotties? Swoony Footballplayers? … swoony Football Players?

You Had Your Chance, Lee Burrows features non other then our favorite Hockey Coaches Kane Burrows, younger Brother Lee who is the number 1 Quarterback for the San Francisco Kingsmen and what a hottie he is.

Piper Rayne already showed us they can write swoony football gods with our favorite football player Xavier Greene but here we are getting alot more of those to read!

Lee Burrows is such a swoony character. He made some awful mistakes in the past, but he‘s here to correct them and to fight for what he wants. And what he wants is Shayna.. The one that got away.

I loved Shayna and Lee‘s story! Loved how strong Shayna was but also how she still leaned into her desires.

I can‘t wait to see what Piper Rayne has in store for us next because it already looks very promosing!

4.5⭐️
Profile Image for Amy.
760 reviews8 followers
December 19, 2022
You Had Your Chance, Lee Burrow is the start of the Kingsmen Football series and I’m so in love with these characters. A second chance romance with a bit of forbidden love and enemies to lovers along with a whole cast of lovable football players…what’s not to love?

Lee and Shayna were once in a brief relationship in college that ended badly. Lee has always regretted the circumstances that caused their break-up and desperately wants a Shayna to forgive him. Shayna has hardened her heart against Lee and vows to not let him past her defenses, but now that they are working together, will she be able to resist him?

I loved Lee. He had made a mistake in the past, but he was always a good guy. He had immediately felt bad for what had happened and tried everything he could to make up for his past mistakes. His determination to fight for what he wanted was swoonworthy.

I also loved that Shayna was steadfast in her beliefs and didn’t give in easily. She was such a smart, independent woman who was determined to make her way in a man-driven world and I loved her fire.

Together, the chemistry and banter between these two was off the charts. I loved that they understood each other and really listened to each other so that they knew what was important to the other. They both had to learn to compromise and to really fight for what would make them happy.

I listened to the audio which was in duet narration by Joe Arden and Callie Dalton. It was fantastic. Joe was perfection as Lee and Callie was great as Shayna. Both brought the story to life with emotion and so much heart.

Full of heart, heat, and humor, this was a fantastic start to this series and I cannot wait for the rest of the Kingsmen to find their HEA.
Profile Image for Simply Love Book Reviews.
6,895 reviews819 followers
January 11, 2023
I’ve always enjoyed this writing duo’s work and after reading False Start I couldn’t wait to see how the relationship played out with these two and it honestly was a bit anti-climatic. Why, you ask? Because this story has been told time and time again in more sports romances than I can count and I’m tired of it. Any time a woman working for a sports organizations gets involved with a player their job is in jeopardy (there’s been a few where it worked out but that’s not the norm) and it’s time this changed. That said after the prequel, I wasn’t a big fan of Lee; he made a big error in college not coming clean with Shayna even though he had a reason for doing what he did, he should have told her. I needed less time re-hashing the past and more relationship building when they weren’t hiding in secret to make this a more enjoyable story.

Shayna worked hard to get where she is today coming from a family that didn’t have money she became an athletic trainer and being hired by the Kingsman was a dream come true despite knowing that Lee is their star player. She plans to ignore him and do her job only he isn’t willing to let that happen. Lee was a bit off an a$$ in this book, getting jealous when other players or other men talked to her and he had absolutely no claim to her and even though he regrets what he did back in college I felt like he expected her to forgive him just because he said he was sorry. He wouldn’t let it be, he wouldn’t give her time to breathe and that kind of pissed me off. It was obvious that Shayna was still affected by Lee and I was so happy she made a girlfriend early on so she had someone on her side throughout the story.

What really made this book for me was the other players, I’m so curious about them all and even though this book wasn’t a favorite of mine by Piper Rayne, I am looking forward to the next book in this series. That book will either convince me to keep going or to let this series go.

While I was a bit disappointed in the romance aspect of this book I do think there’s a lot of potential for it to be an interesting and entertaining series.

Review copy provided for a voluntary review.
Profile Image for Jill.
159 reviews37 followers
December 21, 2022
3.75/5

I really enjoyed this. Shayna is a physical therapist who gets hired to work on a NFL team, which Lee Burrows happens to be starting quarterback. He was also her college boyfriend, but after a bad breakup, they are forced to work with one another.

I liked Lee. He was sweet and caring, and his love for Shayna was evident. I also really enjoyed reading about the side characters; they made the story more enjoyable and entertaining.

The tension and second chance aspect between the two was written well. The story was predictable and an easy read.
Profile Image for Sarah.
1,577 reviews1,229 followers
***AUDIOBOOK REVIEW***

4 STARS

This one was highly entertaining, great narrators. I also really loved that they tackled some real issues and power dynamics as a secondary subplot.

Can’t wait to read more from this standalone world!

379 reviews6 followers
3.5 stars rounded down
I felt the betrayal was never really covered properly we know what he did and early in but it doesn’t go into great detail unless I missed it which atm is quiet possible considering it’s a me issue
The banter was decent and the grovel meh. Overall it was ok to good
Profile Image for Anna Reads Here.
859 reviews174 followers
December 20, 2022
Release Date: December 27th, 2022

CW: parental death, mentions of character with depression

Review: As a fan of Piper Rayne, I was obviously bursting at the seams with excitement about another sports series by the duo! I loved the Hockey Hotties series so much and when we got to meet Lee in the last book, I knew I was going to enjoy the shenanigans that the Kingsmen got up to in their books. And Piper Rayne did not disappoint!

You Had Your Chance, Lee Burrows has:
✨ a second chance
✨ forbidden workplace romance
✨ sports, duh
✨ tons of bromancing
✨ lots of wooing
✨ a good balance of cute, steam and angst

I really enjoyed the push and pull between Shayna and Lee. I loved that despite how hot and sexy and charming he is, Shayna doesn’t let that get in the way of her decision to steer clear of him. Their history took a while to become clear, but I loved how Lee did everything in his power to make sure that Shayna knew just how important she was to him. I definitely appreciated the fact that Shayna didn’t forgive Lee right away, that she made him work for it and made him apologise and grovel till she was sure that he was sorry for what he’d done.

Piper Rayne are also good at introducing a whole host of characters without overwhelming the reader, so obviously we meet a bunch of future characters and possible love interests through this one. I loved the friendship between the Kingsmen, because there’s such joy in seeing a bromance develop and evolve. All of them are so different and yet…they just fit as a group of friends. I really enjoyed watching the friendships and the world of Kingsmen being built through this first book and I am so excited to see where the rest of the books go!

Thanks to Valentine PR for generously providing me with an advance copy. I am voluntarily leaving an honest review.

Read more of my reviews on anna reads here
Profile Image for Lourdes.
827 reviews9 followers
December 19, 2022
Shayna Kudrow has landed her dream job with an NFL team and took it despite the fact that Lee Burrows, their star QB, is the man who broke her heart in college. After so many years, she’s stronger than ever and is not going to let him take this once in a lifetime opportunity away from her.
Unbeknownst to Shayna, Lee hasn’t forgotten the girl he wronged in college and now that she’s working for the team, he’s determined to get her forgiveness and maybe a second chance.
This is a lovely story and such a great way to start a new series. Piper Rayne have once again delivered a fun and sexy tale of a couple with a history that has to overcome more than a few obstacles to find their HEA and the mix of tropes is just an amazing blend that ends up in the perfect book cocktail.
If you liked Kane, prepare for his little brother to steal your heart while he falls in love with Shayna and shows the kind of man he truly is. I loved their story, the new background and supporting characters, the dilemmas you can see building or are already there and, more than anything, the surprise that filled my OG Unicorn heart, as I started to imagine what’s to come in the rest of the series.
YHYCLB is the right point to start falling for the Kingsmen Football Stars.

5 stars
*ARC review*
Profile Image for Heather.
1,254 reviews21 followers
December 19, 2022
You Had Your Chance, Lee Burrows is the first book in the Kingsman Football Stars series and it was a great start to the series! I'm a sucker for sports romance, so I was very excited about this one!

Lee Burrows and Shayna Kudrow have history. Lee broke Shayna's heart years ago and when Shayna lands her dream job as a member of the athletic training staff for the Kingsman Football team it puts the two former lovers around one another on a regular basis.

When Lee learns that Shayna will be around, he is determined to make amends for how he acted years ago and he hopes that they can have some sort of relationship moving forward. Will Shayna be open to listening to Lee?

Lee and Shayna had loads of chemistry and in true Piper Rayne style, the book was full of witty banter. I loved the involvement of the other players and the addition of Shayna's new friend Bryce. This was a fantastic start to the series and I'm looking forward to more to come!

**I voluntarily read an early copy of this title in exchange for an honest review**
January 21, 2023
I was a bit disappointed by this book. I love a sports romance, and there were some things I liked. For example, I liked the friendship that Lee had with his teammates. Their friendships seemed more realistic.

However, while the premise was interesting enough that I picked it up right after getting this book, the execution was a little off, in my opinion.

These were my issues with the book:

1. The pacing was weird. I would be reading a paragraph in the middle of the page, and the next sentence in a paragraph would be like, "The next 3 weeks went by..." and I was like wait, what? We're just jumping ahead 3 weeks mid-page?

2. I can't articulate why, but the writing style was not for me. I felt like I was reading bullet points. It was very factual--not a lot of description. I feel like the story and characters needed to show more, not just tell. It was very mechanical writing. It somehow made the characters more unlikeable.

3. The dialogue was bizarre. I am around the same age as the main couple in this story, and I don't think I've ever heard someone speak like these characters spoke (at least not people in their 20s). Their dialogue did not sound like real people or like a real life conversation, so they were not very relatable to me. Also, the FMC was literally angry the entire book (about something that happened 8 years before), and she would blow her lid on the MC at the drop of a hat. Also, Shayla's entire relationship with Bryce was weird. They did not talk like real people at all.

4. The main story of this couple happened before this book started. The MCs had dated in college, 8 years before the start of this book. During college, Shayla was tutoring Lee in bio, and then somehow she found out he was only dating her for a bet, but he actually had fallen in love with her (Ok, Freddie Prinze Jr. in She's All That). Because of this bet, Shayla dumped him, and they were both heartbroken, and they both have not stopped thinking about each other for 1-second ever since.

...*rolls eyes* This book did not explain the bet at all. If Shayla is so beautiful and smart, what was the point of seducing her as a joke/in a bet? Couldn't he have just asked her out if she was so great? Are we supposed to just assume she was a huge loser because she worked as a biology tutor? Idk about others, but my college experience didn't have "geeks" or "losers"......it's college, not high school. Especially at a big football school (like a Michigan-type school), you don't know enough people (because there are thousands of students) to have "popular kids" and "nerds." So what was the big deal with this bet? Why was she such a swamp monster that they had to make a 90s high school movie bet about her? The bet was literally never explained (we should have been given a flashback or at least a longer explanation). All the drama of this couple happened before the book. The only thing that happened during this book was both Shayla and Lee pining for each other, while Shayla acts simultaneously pissy and immature, and Lee is just pathetic. Why does Lee even like her? She seemed awful.

5. Please look up the rules of football if you're writing a sports romance book about football!!! I am not saying that readers need a detailed play-for-play account of the football games in the book, but the VERY few references to the football games that Lee was playing in were just wrong. For example, no NFL team would ever run the ball on 4th down and 5 yards, in the 3rd quarter, in a game at the beginning of the season. That play made no sense. I also strongly recommend the authors look up what a sack is--Lee used the term "sack" incorrectly at least once. I understand most readers probably won't notice these things, but as a female reader who also likes football, I was rolling my eyes at these. It made Lee seem dumb too because his inner monologue was all like "I'm not trying to be cocky, but no one plays as well as me in the NFL." and then he's saying these incorrect and stupid things about football. Sure, Lee...you don't understand basic football rules, but you're totally the GOAT.

6. The ending was really not satisfying and moved too quickly. Basically, Shayla ghosts Lee for 3 weeks, even though he didn't really do anything wrong (Shayla is just the worst), and then she is just like "nvm anymore--I forgive you! I'll go give up my dreams to go work at a doctor's office--we're all good!!" ....*more eye rolls*.

Also, I'm still confused about the ending. Did Bryce leak the photos to the press? During the meeting with the ownership, Lee's internal monologue is like "it had to be Bryce," and then in the next chapter, Shayla is crying to Bryce about how Lee is the worst. Isn't Bryce the one who snitched on your secret relationship--why is she the one comforting you? That said, it obviously can't have been Bryce's fault because you just KNOW she's the love interest in Miles's book that will be coming out eventually, so she obviously can't do anything wrong in this book. Bryce just has to be so spunky and sassy in this book (and SUCH a good friend for the girl she met literally 1 month before) because she's going to give Miles such a run for his money! ...gag me...

Anyways, I guess I enjoyed the book enough. I finished it. I might read the next book since I am a sucker for a good single dad storyline, and I have a feeling that the next book is Brady/his kid's nanny. That said, I'm really not sure if I can stomach more MCs just simpering/pining for each other with corny/unrealistic flirting and overreactions to everything. We'll see...
Profile Image for Sarah~ Book Obsession Confessions .
820 reviews50 followers
December 29, 2022
I recommend reading the prequel novella FALSE START first, it’s currently free and it gives a great introduction to the main characters shared past. ➖︎ https://books2read.com/fstart

Lee is a star NFL quarterback and Shayna is a blast from his past who is now on the training/medical staff of his team.
They were involved in college and things ended very badly.
It’s a fun, steamy and low angst second chance romance. Throw in the sports romance and the forbidden aspect (because they work together, there’s a no fraternization policy in place) and it’s a really fun, sexy read.
Lee has to convince Shayna to give him a second chance and believe in him.
There’s a lot of not so secret longing glances and excuses to be around each other that are so cute and made me feel giddy with the characters.
It’s a common trope and set up because it works. It’s entertaining, it’s light-hearted with enough emotional depth and mild angst/drama to satisfy.
I really liked Lee a lot, he’s not my “usual” bad boy type, he’s kind, sweet and it’s so refreshing. He’s very confident and has a great sense of humor. It makes him a great book boyfriend.
I liked Shayna’s emotional journey, she has some old emotional hang-ups to face, it was dealt with subtly and I appreciated that part of her story.
I enjoyed the secondary characters, they add humor and fun moments to the story. I look forward to the upcoming books with some of these characters.
I enjoyed the crossover from the author duo’s Hockey Hotties series. Lee is the younger brother of Kane my favorite hockey hottie.
I enjoyed the story and liked the characters. I’m really looking forward to the rest of this series so much.
Profile Image for Alecia Reads.
489 reviews51 followers
December 20, 2022
3.5 rounded up for GoodreadsAudio Review
Narrated by Joe Arden and Callie Dalton

You Had Your Chance, Lee Burrows is the first book in Piper Rayne’s Kinsmen Football series. If you like sports books with second chance romance and steam I would totally recommend this one.

Lee and Shayna met in college, there is a prequel novella that details their story, False Start, but I don’t think you have to read that one to enjoy this one. During college Lee made a really bad choice that ruined their relationship. Now it’s eight years later, Lee is the star quarterback for the San Fransisco Kinsmen and Shayna is starting her dream job working on the medical team. Lee has always felt horrible about how things ended with Shayna and sees their working together as a way to earn her forgiveness. Can she forgive him? Can they become more than friends without the team management knowing?

I really enjoyed Lee. I usually have a hard time with second chance when the guy is such a jerk but Lee felt so much remorse, his grovel was spot on and really earned Shayna’s trust back, I found myself totally rooting for him. Lee and Shayna had amazing sizzling chemistry!

The introduction of the other players, the bromance these guys have is perfect. I never felt overwhelmed or confused, only excited to see where their stories go! I can’t wait for the rest of the Kingsmen to get their books!

The narrator, Joe Arden, was the perfect arrogant but remorseful, dirty talking jock Lee. Callie Dalton brought Shayna to life capturing her shyness but determination to make to her own.

This was my first Piper Rayne and I will definitely be diving into her backlist starting with Lee’s brother in the Hockey Hotties series!!

I received a complimentary E-ALC from Valentine PR in exchange for an honest review. All thoughts and opinions are my own. You Had Your Chance, Lee Burrows has a publish date of 12/27/22.
Profile Image for Tpagirl Loves Romance.
1,572 reviews122 followers
January 5, 2023
You Had Your Chance Lee Burrows was the first book
In the Kingsmen Football Stars by the authors Piper Rayne.

I’ve taken a break from formal reviews for awhile, but a couple quick thoughts: quintessential jock falls for nerd scenario - nerd gets hurt and vows to never have anything to do with jock again - fast forward - jock and nerd meet again years later and we now have an enemies to lovers second chance scenario.

I enjoyed both characters but was disappointed in how things played out….until the epilogue. I didn’t see that coming and liked the twist but would have liked to have seen it earlier in the story. It was written well and developed well, just not the direction of the storyline (until the end) that I preferred. Otherwise, it was a great start to the new series with promising characters.
Displaying 1 - 30 of 418 reviews

Can't find what you're looking for?

Get help and learn more about the design.