Start by marking “Introducing Logic” as Want to Read:
Introducing Logic

Introducing Logic

(Graphic Guides)

Introducing Logic makes this important discipline accessible to everyone using the series' popular illustrated format. This easy-to-follow guide maps the historical development of logic, explains its symbols and methodology, traces its influence in a variety of disciplines and shows logic in action in our digital age.
Published 2001 by Totem Books

To ask other readers questions about Introducing Logic, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Introducing Logic

Mohamed al-Jamri
I got this book as a gift for being the "Reader of the Month" for February in Bahrain Readers Challenge.

It is short and illustrated with nice artworks. It uses a historical approch to logic. From Aristotle to Turing and Chomsky many ideas are explored. These include Greek paradoxes, the scientific method, proof theory, Gödel's incompleteness theorem, relativism, intuitionism and several others.

My main take on the book is that is doesn't explore these ideas in any detail, it merely let's you know
Sanjay Gautam
Mar 29, 2016 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
An apt overview of history and development of logic covering classical, fuzzy, and quantum logic.

It also explores:
* Syllogisms
* The attempts to found mathematics on logical foundations.
* Proof theory, Godel's theorem
* Philosophy of language (linguistics)
* AI, relativism, cognitive science
* Chomsky's linguistic theories

All in all it was quite informative and enjoyable throughout: perfectly suitable for a layman.

Recommended.
C. Varn
Nov 01, 2014 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
A very enjoyable crash course through the history of modern logics. It covers the development of prepositional, predicate, fuzzy, and quantum logic as well as the influence of Godel's mathematical theories and Chomsky's linguistic theories on the development of logic. It only hints at modal as well as first- and second-order logic, but for a brief text that covers syllogisms, predicate logic, truth-tables, paradoxes, proof theory, Godel's incompleteness theorem, fuzzy logic, and even more lingui ...more
Christine
It is a good general introduction. It does explain complex ideas quite well. The problem is that the cartoons aren't as clever as they think.
Tracy E.
Mar 16, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Fun stuff. Follows the history of logic from a Western perspective in a chronological order. Having some knowledge of philosophy and/or computer science will help. I've only dabbled in philosophical logic, but my experience in computer programming/logic made it easier for me to understand the concepts once I looked up logic symbols and philosophy terms that were unfamiliar to me. Something to keep in mind. Or just dive into it and look up things as you go. Either way, it's an entertaining, light ...more
Alexandru
Feb 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Brief, but informative.
Pumpkinpi
Jul 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book is a lot more lighthearted than most other books, but it isn't humorous at all, so the cartoons function as diagrams instead of attention grabbers. It is very well thought out, though, and still manages to keep the reader entertained. Altogether a very good book.
Jimmy
Dec 17, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
My favorite book in the series. Just terrific.
Nicolas Sigil
Mar 20, 2019 rated it really liked it
A good introduction to the main concepts of the subject of logic. It's a gateway drug to reading more literature on it. It has helped me understand the correlation between mathematics and science and how theories and scientific laws have been developed out of basic empiric principles.

It's made very accessible by the illustrations and they really help understand better. Subjects like these can be difficult to explain and study without visual representation.

There were some concepts that needed mor
Sally
Oct 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I'm not going to lie - I didn't really understand a lot of this. But I tried! You can see how long it took me to finish it. I initially got stuck after a few pages because I was trying to assimilate a theory which was probably superseded centuries ago, and maybe was over-simplified or badly explained, which is probably an unavoidable problem with a book like this that aims to summarise a huge subject in a small format. So eventually I just decided to plough on through and see what I could glean. ...more
Eugene Koh
Feb 20, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: non-fiction
"Introducing Logic: A Graphic Guide" seems to be aimed at undergraduates pursuing a degree in Philosophy rather than the curious mass-market reader. The first few pages of classical logic as it is introduced are easy enough concepts to grasp and understand. However, once Cryan delves into the problems of logic that post-Renaissance thinkers face, the text becomes laden with obscure terminology that no amount of vaguely eye-popping monochrome illustrations can make more readable. This book serves ...more
Alejandro Núñez baladrón
Read on ebook. Quite some spelling mistakes, some incomplete sentences, some balloons too small to read. Also it rushes over a too wide range of topics (classical logic, non-classical, linguistics, consciousness...) making it a confusing and very obscure reading at some points. It works pretty well to increase your curiosity in a topic. Think this description can be applied to most other books in the collection (though others don’t have so many formal flaws)
Göran Törnquist
Great intro to logic from the philosophical perspective

A sequence of short and intertwined introductions of concepts from classical philosophy. Relations to math, and even some subjects related to the human brain and machine learning.

Unfortunately reading this book on my kindle paperwork was a suboptimal experience. The graphics are really necessary to understand the supporting text, and the kindle paperwhite does not allow to zoom in on the pictures.
Mohamed Adwi
Apr 09, 2018 rated it it was ok
Shelves: المنطق
I had this idea that any talk about logic would be in very objective form as logic in its essence is an abstract science. conversely, it was the opposite in this book. The narration was more subjective and logicians-centric without putting logic in its historical or philosophical context. So, the thing I got from this book was random ideas and random information about various things can be related to logic.
Kevin Wright
Jan 15, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: nonfiction
A concise overview of the history and development of logic and its applications. A compelling take on an often dry subject. I would say the short, 1- or 2-page "chapters" make it an ideal bathroom book, but I found myself devouring it in one sitting. Obviously, it can't go into too much detail, but it doesn't dumb the concepts down, either. It's a great launchpad for further reading.
Jose Lopez
Mar 03, 2017 rated it really liked it
It's witty and interesting, but ultimately too broad. You can't cover everything from Aristotle to the applications of logic in quantum computing in 200 pages. The section on neural networks was outstanding though, as was the section that broke down the Chomsky–Schützenberger hierarchy of formal languages.
Daniel
Sep 12, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very interesting short introduction to Logic, and both it's evolution and application to the real world. If you have never taken a course in philosophical logic then at some points you may have to look up certain concepts on the web. Even though I took a course on Logic while in college this short introduction still supplied me with new insights.
Ben
Apr 29, 2018 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Good introduction to logic

Neat introduction and quick fly by of logic.

Didn't go into any detail and was more focused on introducing poodle and a one page overview of their thoughts.
Elahe Geravandi
Oct 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
I had to study about data structure, artificial intelligence and logic circuit, but I didn’t understand some concepts who involved with logic, this book helped me to find out about this concepts and now I am ready to start my study:)
Rashid Saif
May 02, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: philosophy
An entertaining and approachable introduction. It's written in a comic book style but with ample exposition; nothing is dumbed down. I recommend it for high schoolers entering university and generally to anyone who's a visual learner.
Daniel Hardy
It helped me understand more about this topic

But honestly it wasn't a topic I was so interested in. Maybe you would rate it higher. I appreciated having the extra info for my databanks.
Noland Matthews
Ok

The illustration weren’t put together very well. It was an ok read but, it became redundant with sometime confusing and/or weak illustration.
Marjolein
May 18, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: design
Far more complicated than I imagined!
Antonio Herrera
Jun 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Conscious and broad

Very good review including a broad selection of topics. Itnis excellent for a introduction and also very entertaining with the different illustrations.
Vicki Cline
Sep 09, 2017 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: math
I took an introductory course in logic in college, part of my BA in math. I enjoyed it a lot, but pretty much all I can remember is syllogisms and truth tables. This book, even though claiming to be an introduction, goes much farther than I remember my class going. Many philosophers, mathematicians and scientists are covered, with drawn portraits of them all. It was really very interesting, even if some of it was over my head.
Emily
Apr 20, 2019 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
This book was interesting when i could understand what was being said but even as an introduction to logic i found it quite hard to follow at times.
John  Hill
Fun introduction to logical thinking.
Bambi Goggio
A fun approach to the subject and it's history.
Gabriela
Jan 21, 2018 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: disappointing
While the text in itself is well put together and straightforward enough for the newcomer to the field, I found the illustrations to be a point of great frustration on the Kindle version. They were always too small to read and impossible to magnify, which meant that I always had to ignore them. This, therefore, meant that I lost out on one of the main selling points of the series.

• Introducing Time
  • Introducing Mind & Brain
  • Introducing Machiavelli
  • Introducing Existentialism
  • Introducing the Enlightenment: A Graphic Guide

Graphic Guides (1 - 10 of 105 books)
  • Darwin for Beginners
  • Introducing Genetics
  • Introducing Jesus
  • Kafka
“Gottlob Frege’s Begriffsschrift.” 1 likes
“I see nobody on the road,” said Alice. “I only wish I had such eyes,” the King remarked in a fretful tone. “To be able to see Nobody!” 1 likes