Start by marking “Durinda's Dangers (Sisters Eight, #2)” as Want to Read:
Durinda's Dangers (Sisters Eight, #2)

Durinda's Dangers (Sisters Eight #2)

4.16  ·  Rating details ·  578 Ratings  ·  46 Reviews
A rather large problem has befallen the Huit girls. (Sisters, actually. Octuplets to be exact.) One particular New Year’s Eve, the girls wait for their mommy to bring them hot chocolate and their daddy to return with more wood for the fire. But they don’t. Mommy and Daddy, that is. They’re gone. Poof! Maybe dead—no one knows for sure.
You must see the problem here. Eight li
Published December 29th 2008 by HMH Books for Young Readers (first published January 1st 2008)

To ask other readers questions about Durinda's Dangers, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Durinda's Dangers

Jennifer Wardrip
Reviewed by Sarah Bean the Green Bean Teen Queen for TeensReadToo.com

The Sisters Eight - Annie, Durinda, Georgia, Jackie, Marcia, Petal, Rebecca, and Zinnia - are back, and things are getting stranger!

It's been a month since Mommy and Daddy disappeared. With Valentine's Day coming up, the girls have their hands full with a lovelorn talking fridge and making the best Valentine's Day cards for Will to see which sister he loves best.

The sisters are still searching for their powers and gifts. Bein
Akoss
Jan 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: all-mg
I haven't read a chapter book since my first Katie Kazoo read, and let me tell you this book was just as good in its own way.
The voice(s) were light and pretty distinctive. The story had a beat to it which in my opinion is good if you want readers of that age to keep reading and not give up on your story.
The antagonist was so perfectly typical (not in a bad way) that I found myself chuckling when I was reading some of the "situations" the Wicket got into. This is definitely the type of characte
Lady Knight
Jun 25, 2010 rated it really liked it
I loved the first book and eagerly opened this second volume. This time around it's Durindas turn to discover her power. She has the ability to freeze most people in place for some amount of time (ranging from seven minutes to almost an hour), and others not at all. Her cat Dandruff, has also developped this power. The antics with Wickett continue, as does Pete's saving them in the nick of time. Valentine's Day rolls around and the girls all jealously make Will valentine's and demand to know who ...more
jennifer
The story continues just as wonderfully in Book 2! The fantstical imaginings are very engaging and the mystery and adventures are really expanding nicely. The dialogue is still wonderfully witty. And there is a great "Mary Poppins" twist in this story that is very endearing and brings a bit more "magic" into the storyline. Also, the powers that the sisters are discovering are taking more shape and their charcaters are developing nicely. It is a lot of fun discovering more about them.

On to Book 3
Emily M.
Durinda's Dangers By Lauren Baratz-Logsted, Greg Logsted, and Jackie Logsted
Adventure
120 pages

Durinda's Dangers is the second book in the sisters eight series. In this book, Durinda is the telling story and she is also the second oldest next to Annie. The girls parents are still missing or dead. Durinda finds her power. She can freeze stuff by patting her leg three times and sharply pointing at someone or something and saying, “You. Shut. Up.” All is going well for the parent less children, unt
Dolly
Apr 24, 2012 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: children starting to read longer chapter books
This is the second book in the Sisters Eight series by Lauren Baratz-Logsted, Greg Logsted, and Jackie Logsted. Our oldest daughter discovered the first book of this series recently at our local library and fell in love immediately. She's already in the middle of the third book and I'm just trying to catch up.

I found the story to be strange, but interesting and I can see that this series would appeal to a young elementary school-age child just getting into reading longer chapter books. The stor
Kaethe
Both my daughters love this new series starring eight eight-year-old sisters, mystery, adventure, and a huge dose of humor. The Huit sisters live in an unusual house, shared with eight unusual cats. In the way of multiples, the sisters find ways to distinguish themselves from one another, and Baratz-Logsted has done a brilliant job of imagining the conflicts and the joys of sisterhood. The set-up allows for each sister to discover a new and unexpected capacity within herself.

This time it's Durin
Caitlin
Apr 16, 2009 rated it liked it
Recommends it for: 5-7 year olds beginning to read chapter books
Recommended to Caitlin by: Mom
The Sisters Eight is about 8 girls whom will be 8 years old possibly soon, and they're parent's "disappear" and they get notes under movable the stone in the Living room..."magically", I really didn't enjoy this book, though I did kind of enjoy the first one.
But that's just my opinion, I would recommend it to younger kids, more into the 5-7 range.
I never really could get into Annie driving and them having magical abilities and stuff, and them paying the bills....I wouldn't recommend it to just i
Jill Dater
Apr 27, 2014 rated it really liked it
We are still going strong on the Sisters Eight which has to be a record. I appreciate the short chapters which means that I can read just one if we have a late night or extend it to two if I don't have my act together. Also the story is simple enough for the six year old to follow but complex enough for the nine year old.

Durinda was the focus of this one and her power was more magical than Annie's ability to be a first born and write a check. Durinda can freeze people by tapping her leg three t
Catherine
May 31, 2016 rated it really liked it
A cute, pleasingly silly, and entertaining book about eight sisters - octuplets - trying to hide the fact that their parents have disappeared under mysterious circumstances. The girls are determined to solve the mystery while remaining together in their own home, with their eight cats, their lovesick talking refrigerator, and their robotic maid, but without adult supervision. Meanwhile, they realize one by one that each sister possesses some sort of superpower. Part of a series, this book is fil ...more
mindi
Jul 24, 2009 rated it liked it
Shelves: read-with-kid-s, 2009
We're moving on to book 3 and Annabelle's still LOVING these. I find the author's need to include ALL 8 sister's input in every piece of dialogue in the book to be SUPER exhausting, Mindi said.
"I agree", said Durinda.
"Oh me too", Georgia enthusiastically replied.
"Yep, yep," Annie affirmed.
"Absolutely!" Zinnia agreed, wholeheartedly.
"Indeed" replied a timid Jackie...
etc. etc. etc.

Exhausting.

But the story is not too creepy for Annabelle, and a fun little mystery that's managing to keep me on bo
Leesa
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing
On January 1st Annie, Durinda, Georgia, Jackie, Marcia, Petal, Rebecca, and Zinnia’s mommy and daddy went missing. While Mommy is making eggnog, and Daddy is collecting fire wood, they mysteriously disappear. Octuplets all alone! In order to find Mommy and Daddy they must discover their powers. In book one Annie’s Adventures Annie finds her power and gift, super smarts and a purple ring. Wait for Durinda’s, hers is a dozy!
Dyah
Similar to the first book, it's full of silliness, with Zinnia (the youngest sister) whines and cries at the end of the book. Still, this is a fun light reading for me. The cats make it more fun and amusing.

Though the readers are tempted to be guessing about what kind of power and gift the sisters will discover next--and they are going to do with it, I find myself being cool about it. Let's see what they have in store in the third book.
Barbara
Jan 29, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fiction
I chose to read this because one of our patrons loves the series. While a little predictable for adults, pre-teens will love the premise of 8 sisters (octuplets!) whose genius parents vanish, or are dead. The sisters discover their seemingly magical talents while trying to take care of themselves and keep the authorities from discovering they are all alone. Lots of wacky situations and silly school predicaments.
Kat
Jul 13, 2012 rated it really liked it
I loved the book almost as much as the first book! I like how Durinda can freeze her sisters except for Zinnia, which I thought was very weird. My favorite part was when the sisters went to "The Wickets" house to search it and froze her on the front doorstep. I like the earrings Durinda got as her gift but owwwww!, since she stepped on them in their four season room, when she was playing volleyball!!!
Luanne Hatcher
Mar 21, 2011 rated it really liked it
In this book 2 from the Sisters 8 series, the second oldest sister finds her power and gift. The sisters decide to share their situation with a couple of people. The story takes place in the month of February, with an emphasis on Valentine's Day. I'm predicting that the next book will take place in March and with the third oldest sister. We still don't know what happened to their parents!
Penny McGill
Apr 04, 2014 rated it really liked it
Shelves: for-kids
Still big fans of these 8 sisters and they have become so popular that we're including them in regular family conversation. I really like the cats but my 10-year old daughter is a bigger fan of the girls themselves. She finds the sisters very easy to relate to and the unusual nature of their lives - missing but unusual parents - is also appealing.
Angie
Jul 08, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: juvenile-fic
Durinda's power is pretty ... powerful. Luckily the sisters are generally good natured (although the infighting does get a little tiresome) so they use it only to send the Wicket on a wild goose chase.
Jenn Estepp
Apr 19, 2009 rated it it was ok
i can't figure out this series yet. my gut instinct is that it's not that great. and yet, i feel compelled to read it, so maybe i'm wrong. it reminds me a bit of spiderwick, not so much because of content but because of my own ambivalent response to it ...
BookCupid
Feb 11, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
First book I read of the series, and believe it or not, I didn't feel lost. The eight sisters are united, more than ever since their parents have gone missing. Making this a wonderful sibling book.
Sydney
Nov 15, 2013 rated it it was amazing
durinda's power is awesome. she can freeze people.
Madison
Jul 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Durinda is my favorite( best book so far )
Lula McCuela
Sep 10, 2014 rated it liked it
Another fun "Sisters Eight" book. This one was about Durinda finding her power, and her cat, of course.
Sep 08, 2011 rated it liked it
Shelves: 2011
Alright-- this series is slowly growing on me. (Also, I love how easy it is to start and finish one book in one sitting. Small victory of the day.)
Ping1999zhao
they and 8 sisters and this was the second one
Mallory
Jun 18, 2009 rated it liked it
I'm embarassed to say I actually kind of like these books. There interseting. But come on, what kind of eight year old drives with out wrecking?!
Jun 25, 2016 rated it really liked it
I was reluctant to read this to my kids because I didn't think the first book was that great. This one is a big improvement, with a much more exciting 'power' and better plot.
Mary L'hommedieu
Jun 25, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is a sequel to the first annies adventures. If your looking for a short action packed read, this is for you!!!
Maux
Jun 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
It was a cool book.
Feb 15, 2010 rated it it was amazing
great
  • The Legend of Diamond Lil (J.J. Tully Mystery #2)
  • Murder on the Fourth of July (Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys: Super Mystery, #28)
  • The Mysterious Woods of Whistle Root
  • Keeping Secrets (Main Street, #7)
  • Rescuing Seneca Crane (Kari + Lucas Mysteries, #2)
  • Flora in Love (The Diaries of Bluebell Gadsby, #2)
  • Completely Clementine (Clementine, #7)
  • Sammy Keyes and the Wedding Crasher (Sammy Keyes, #13)
  • Forever Amber Brown
  • Tree Girl
  • Poetry Speaks to Children (Book & CD) (A Poetry Speaks Experience)
  • The Worst Princess
Lauren grew up in Monroe, CT, where her father owned a drugstore at which her mother was the pharmacist. She is a graduate of the University of Connecticut at Storrs, where she majored in psychology. She also has what she calls her “half-Masters” in English from Western Connecticut State University (five courses down, another five to go…someday!).

Throughout college, she worked semester breaks as a
More about Lauren Baratz-Logsted...

Sisters Eight (9 books)
  • Annie's Adventures (Sisters Eight, #1)
  • Georgia's Greatness (Sisters Eight, #3)
  • Jackie's Jokes (Sisters Eight, #4)
  • Marcia's Madness (Sisters Eight, #5)
  • Petal's Problems (Sisters Eight, #6)
  • Rebecca's Rashness (Sisters Eight, #7)
  • Zinnia's Zaniness (Sisters Eight, #8)
  • The Final Battle... For Now (Sisters Eight, #9)