Start by marking “Yogabody: Anatomy, Kinesiology, and Asana” as Want to Read:
Yogabody: Anatomy, Kinesiology, and Asana

Yogabody: Anatomy, Kinesiology, and Asana

In Yogabody, author Judith Hanson Lasater writes, "You can't fully understand the dynamic movement of asana without first understanding the basic structure of the human body." Drawing on almost 40 years' experience as a yoga teacher and physical therapist, she focuses here on macroanatomy and kinesiology in relationship to asana practice and teaching. Organized into five p ...more
Published May 1st 2009 by Rodmell Press

To ask other readers questions about Yogabody, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Yogabody

Start your review of Yogabody: Anatomy, Kinesiology, and Asana
G Bernard
Aug 28, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I have read most of the major yoga anatomy books and they are all great however somehow they seem to miss the mark in some way. This one no doubt will disappoint some people too. Too bad as I feel it is by far the most useful for anyone who plans on teaching yoga to read. Judith explains things like no one else can. The study of anatomy and kinesiology is something that is a continuous lifelong project and one cannot live on one anatomy book alone! However if anatomy ain't your bag yet you need ...more
Laurie
Feb 22, 2019 rated it liked it
This book has graced my reading table for many weeks as it has intentionally taken me quite awhile to read. There is an abundance of anatomical information complete with an experiential anatomy section to explore at the end of each chapter. I was eager to read this book as it accompanies the online course Experiential Anatomy that, if my grant request is funded, I will take this summer.

There is no doubt that some of the anatomical information was overly detailed for me, and there were too many
Ciayi Lim
Oct 21, 2019 rated it really liked it
It has a clear definition and explanation on human body structure as well as the attention tips if you are teaching a student yoga. It is a very good reference book that worth to be reread or explore again whenever you need to refresh your mind about basic terminologies for anatomy.
Alix
Mar 23, 2017 rated it liked it
Great detail in this book, lots of which is relevant to yoga teachers but plenty that is not. (Which is fine, it helped me do some light studying for my board exams) Also the author has some controversial opinions and incorrect anatomical/biomechanics information that conflicts with my personal doctorate education. Still on the fence as to whether or not I would use this as a text for teacher training.
Dawn
Mar 11, 2020 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: 2020-books, yoga
This was a great book but really dense.
Natalie
Apr 09, 2020 marked it as to-read
Rec from The New Yoga
Erin
Mar 04, 2012 rated it it was amazing
pp. 37 (posterior longitudinal ligament (PLL) inside vertebral foramen and running from C2 to the sacrum; no intervertebral disc between skull & C1 or C1 and C2), 44 (splenius cervicis [C1-C3]), 45 (spinalis & semispinalis capitis), 46 (semispinalis cervicis & semispinalis thoracis), 51 (atlanto-occipital joint aka skull-C1 joint; atlas=C1), 52 (C1 has no spinous process); 53 (drawings; ligament nuchae is strongest & largest ligament in cervical region); 54 (only 7 cervical vertebrae but 8 cervi ...more
Monica
Aug 11, 2014 rated it did not like it
Shelves: gave-up-on
Somehow I find that most books on the anatomy of yoga that I have read so far were not very useful. The anatomy sections were often too dry, even with illustrations, while the relationships drawn to yoga postures were not quite adequate and often rather superficial.

While the author has a lot of serious credentials, unfortunately I find that this is one of those books that fall into that category above.

The only one that I have come across to be really good so far is David Coulter's Anatomy of Hat
Liza
Dec 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
This book is amazing and one I pick up every now and then when I'm wondering about a pose or, for instance, what to do about hyperextending. That said, I tried to read it before taking Anatomy and Physiology and was completely lost. If you don't have a basic understanding of how joints work, what fascia is, and how muscles are innervated, I recommend doing some independent studying so you don't become lost in the sea of anatomy and physiology vocabulary. I picked it up after finishing that class ...more
Jun 22, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga-stuff
Lasater's knowledge as a physical therapist and years of experience teaching yoga combine beautifully here, creating a must-have educational tool for yoga teachers and serious practitioners. Being quite technical, some knowledge of yoga and a decent background in anatomy and physiology will make this easier reading. Lasater presents new approaches and minor tweaks to some poses that I had yet to see, basing them in the science of kinesiology rather than anecdotal tradition. Beginners and those u ...more
Emily
I used a b-day Amazon gift certificate to buy this book, and am now using the book to study for my myology final for massage school. I've read a few reviews saying that some of the info, origin and insertion in particular, is "wrong" in this book, but given how much the info varies in my school-approved text books, I plan to just use my notes in conjunction with this book to remember what the school wants me to know.
Kristen TenDyke
Read this once during the early stages of yoga teacher training. I'll definitely need to read it again now that I have a better understanding of anatomy. I found it to be a really slow read, and the Sanscrit names of the asanas are used throughout the book. I often had to look up the Sanscrit names to really understand what poses she was referring to. I found that distracting. Thankfully I wrote the English names so reading this a second time should go more quickly.
Tracey
Jun 19, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga
This book is a must have for yoga teachers. I borrowed this book from the library but will need to save some money to buy it. I has some very good tips for alignment and goes deeply into the anatomy. It offers tips for teachers to help check for certain alignment issues. One of the best yoga books I have ever read, without a doubt!
Cherie
Nov 27, 2016 rated it liked it
Shelves: non-fiction, yoga
This book is great for any YTT student, or anyone wishing to take their anatomy to the next level. One of my teachers was obsessed w anatomy (she constantly used the words "serratus," "cervical spine," "thoracic spine") and studied w Iyengar…so much of htis is a review, but a good one.
yamiyoghurt
Feb 20, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: yoga
I already owned many books on anatomy and was wondering if this book was worth buying. I didn't regret my decision to buy.
Michelle
Feb 14, 2011 is currently reading it
Great resource for the "Experiential Anatomy for Yoga Teachers" class I am teaching
Melanie
Jan 13, 2017 rated it really liked it
More detailed and specific than many yoga anatomy books. Good application of content to asana thoughout.
Wayan
Nov 28, 2010 added it
oke i wonat download
Johnida
Great book. Excellent discussions of all things anatomical, including practical kinesiology to apply to your daily practice and teaching.
Alexandra
Amy Sedgwick
Jan 04, 2016
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 next »

• Light on Yoga
  • The Language Of Yoga: Complete A To Y Guide To Āsana Names, Sanskrit Terms, And Chants
  • Yoga Sequencing: Designing Transformative Yoga Classes
  • The Heart of Yoga: Developing a Personal Practice
  • The Art of Power
  • Close to You (Laurel Heights, #2)
  • Long Hard Ride (Rough Riders, #1)
  • Divorce Poison
  • Mike Mulligan and His Steam Shovel
  • Rode Hard, Put Up Wet (Rough Riders, #2)
  • Smoke Bitten (Mercy Thompson, #12)
  • Chasing Cassandra (The Ravenels, #6)
  • The Likely Resolutions of Oliver Clock
  • Magical Midlife Madness (Leveling Up #1)
  • Sin & Lightning (Demigods of San Francisco, #5)
  • Iron Master (Shifters Unbound, #12)
  • Bridal Jitters (Ghost Hunters, #0.5)
  • Between a Highlander and a Hard Place (Highland Weddings, #5)