Start by marking “Sometimes My Heart Pushes My Ribs” as Want to Read:
Sometimes My Heart Pushes My Ribs

Sometimes My Heart Pushes My Ribs

Poetry. Ellen Kennedy's debut full-length poetry collection. "When I finished reading SOMETIMES MY HEART PUSHES MY RIBS I had to go to lunch with people in a restaurant with enormous beverages and misnamed sandwiches. I kept tapping my hand on the table and I didn't listen to anything anybody said. All I wanted to do was go home to read and write the kind of poetry Ellen K ...more
Published March 20th 2009 by Muumuu House

To ask other readers questions about Sometimes My Heart Pushes My Ribs, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Sometimes My Heart Pushes My Ribs

Start your review of Sometimes My Heart Pushes My Ribs
Sam Pink
May 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
i read this book while sitting on a couch in chicago. i was reading it and listening to the traffic at the same time. there were five other people in the room. they were watching KNIGHT RIDER. someone said, "what are you reading?" i held up the book so they could read the title. then they went, "oh" and went back to watching KNGITH RIDER.
M.F. Soriano
Mar 09, 2010 rated it it was ok
Because I feel that book reviews should focus on the book being reviewed, I'm going to try not to write very much about Muumuu House (the publishing company behind this book) or Tao Lin (the founder of Muumuu House). Having said that, I must admit that writing about SOMETIMES MY HEART PUSHES MY RIBS without focusing on Muumuu House or Tao Lin seems like a daunting task for two reasons: first of all, the significance of this book being Muumuu House's first release outweighs, in my opinion, the si ...more
hanna
Aug 30, 2009 rated it did not like it
This book is not what I would call poems - something more along the lines of pointless ramblings. If I wanted to read something like this I could have easily browsed the internet for a livejournal of a fifteen-seventeen year old hipster recording their pointless thoughts. This book was uninteresting and lacked any depth that I feel poems should usually contain. I would have given it three stars if the poems were beautiful ramblings, but these fell far from that even.

After browsing some other e-
Roxane
Mar 03, 2009 rated it liked it
There are brilliant moments in this book, and the desperate pace of many of the pieces is intriguing. At the same time, some of the pieces read like insane ramblings, but not in a good way. Its like the author is trying way too hard to be edgy and out there and different but only ends up writing more of the same of that writing that seems to be pervasive these days--all style no substance.
mwpm
Sep 25, 2014 rated it really liked it
Jean Rhys
By Ellen Kennedy

I'm preparing myself for an extended period of loneliness
That will begin very soon I think
I've illegally downloaded two new depressing songs
I've placed a copy of Good Morning, Midnight under my pillow for easy reference
I've printed out the tablature for every Morrissey song I know so I can sing them to myself
Alone in my room
Just a few things are needed really
To make me calm
While I figure out a simple, clea
Vicky
Jan 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: favorites, poetry
I bought this book so that I can have a copy of "Jean Rhys", one of my favorite poems. There were other good pieces in here, too. The shit poem was funny. The boredom and sadness is true. A couple of the images in "Brighter and Clearer" are great—

After I make you feel indifferent towards me my heart turns into a small desert hamster running very quickly on an exerci/>After/>After
Jeffrey
Jul 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
The first book published by writer Tao Lin's MuuMuu House, Kennedy's collection of poetry starts off with a funny piece that stretches the limits of prose poetry. She's at her best with poems like 'How To Hold A Person' and 'I Made the Man at the Grocery Store Nervous,' wrapping up emotions inside seemingly matter of fact constructions of words. There's sincerity behind the poems that reigns in the humor just the right amount.
Marcus
Jan 27, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There is a sexy short story in three parts that kicks off the collection. The two main characters are Woody Allen and Ned Vizzini. I had to look up Ned Vizzini. I guess he writes about anti-depressants. And young adult books too. Ned looks young and sexy from the pictures and makes me feel better after medications.

We are all know what Woody looks like. Have you seen him recently?

There is heart in this collection. Heart everywhere. The heart is flat/deadpan and it moves me. A lot.

I
Christine
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Quite a playful, experimental poet, Ellen Kennedy personalizes each piece in this collection with a unique candor and honesty that I think many writers can learn from. Having created the most original young adult poetry I've read, Kennedy does not hold back from capturing the odd qualities of everyday life with a lens of nonchalant maturing, an interesting subject that should be explored more often.
Kevin
Mar 18, 2009 rated it liked it
There are definitely some 5-star moments in this little book, especially the poems, which are often revealing, funny, and playful. There are other times when the writing is just too messy (or weirdly robotic and flat) to enjoy (especially the stories). But if she keeps developing her own voice and style, she'll certainly offer greater books in the future.
Holly Wood
Apr 09, 2012 rated it did not like it
every time i try to read poetry
i'm reminded of why
really
seriously
poetry probably needs
to be something
that isn't writing about celebrities
while on the toilet
in jerky line breaks
Kathleen
Apr 15, 2009 rated it really liked it
Reviewing it for an upcoming issue of Octopus.
Darren C
Sep 12, 2010 rated it really liked it
(a line i liked)

"After I have an orgasm my body feels like a sombrero-shaped galaxy slowly expanding in the eyepiece of a 4th grader's telescope"
Jason
Apr 20, 2009 added it
I've interviewed Sam Pink, I've exchanged several e-mails with Sam Pink, I've read his stories on-line, I have read his blog and I have even read marveled at his artwork, yet as I read through his debut collection, I don't know if I know anything more about Mr. Pink then when I started. Much of his book is written in first person, but I find myself asking what person. At first glance this is a series of surface exchanges, mundane encounters filtered through a slightly damaged mind, but as the br ...more
Christine
Sep 20, 2011 rated it really liked it
Parker
Mar 24, 2013 rated it did not like it
Shelves: nonfiction
You know that embarrassing pretentious angsty 14 year old bullshit we all used to write in the back of our notebooks in study hall? Well, it's 2013 now and all that idiotic nonsense is entitled to be on blogs or, sadly, in books.

Wanna spend 45 minutes reading juvenile, asinine ramblings about the smells of piss or what kind of poops you have when you eat pizza? Ellen Kennedy's for you.
Jeff Hoiland
Jan 09, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I keep thinking "wonderful" when I think about how I would review this book to someone

I'm trying to think of other things to say but kinda just keep coming back to or repeating the word "wonderful" in my head, like not thinking about the word but just saying it in my head...

I liked this book.
Fabian
Aug 30, 2009 rated it did not like it
Recommends it for: Nobody
This is the worst book I've ever read, it only took me about 10 minutes to read the damned thing but even then I still feel it was a waste of my time. These "poems" offer nothing that I would call intriguing and they definitely lack substance. I hope this style of writing dies out, quick. I feel generous even rating this book 1 star. At all costs AVOID this over-hyped pretentious garbage.
Andy X L
Sep 22, 2011 rated it did not like it
Ellen Kennedy writes funny little absurdities and calls them 'poems.'
Some are cute and others are very non-sensical and seem forced.
Read it in like an hour.
For the most park this book was pretty boring...
Ben Bush
Jan 26, 2014 added it
Shelves: read-in-nyc
The copy of this that I got from Mellow Pages had some pretty intense notes in it and some ballpointed illustrations of different lines. Also, a landscape picture of the NJ turnpike that made me think it had been read on a bus ride.
Michael
Sep 05, 2009 rated it liked it
A quirkly, at times inconsistent work of postmodern poetry. Some of the pieces are exceptionally brilliant, and others fall flat. Still, a very exciting young poet and I look forward to her future work.
Russ Marshalek
Mar 07, 2009 rated it liked it
Quirky, moving, upsetting, tiny, fragile, weird and lovely.
Andrew
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this collection, and I find myself rereading many of the poems. The short story "Probably Going to Die Alone" is my favorite. I hope Ellen Kennedy publishes new writing soon.
matthew taggart
Nov 07, 2012 rated it really liked it
i received 3 copies of this book from muumuu house. im happy i have 3 copies of this book. i look forward to giving them to people who i think will appreciate this book.
Georgiana
Feb 14, 2012 rated it really liked it
I have increased my rating for it since I realized that it was published before "Richard Yates" (the novel), in which case I give Ellen Kennedy points for originality.
Zach
Mar 23, 2011 rated it really liked it
"Shit Poem" is the most awful and wonderful thing I have ever read.
Chris
May 22, 2017 rated it liked it
Fine, but uneven. It has a couple of short prose pieces that are fun, and some smart poems, and then some sort of silly or doofy pieces that could probably have been left out without hurting the overall book. It's okay, but not on the high end of things.
Kelson
Jun 28, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Basic

I used to love this type of prose. Now I’m probably too old for it. Doesn’t feel quite the same
Xian Xian
Nov 09, 2014 rated it liked it
Downloaded from Bandcamp

So occasionally I go on a poetry kick and I read some here and there in between novels. I'm not really sure why, I didn't like poetry, mostly the classical stuff, except for Emily Dickinson. Then I read Tao Lin and Patrick Rosal, and I finally started to like poetry. Although, I will admit that I didn't really take Tao Lin seriously at first, he made me depressed and at the same time I would laugh at the silliness of it all, the repetitive sentences, the utter

• During My Nervous Breakdown I Want to Have a Biographer Present