Start by marking “During My Nervous Breakdown I Want to Have a Biographer Present” as Want to Read:
During My Nervous Breakdown I Want to Have a Biographer Present

During My Nervous Breakdown I Want to Have a Biographer Present

Poetry. Brandon Scott Gorrell's debut full-length poetry book captures the feelings of small, alienated, and highly self-conscious humans who exist in an array of situations, from a very odd Halloween party to a full-scale planetary war involving humans, androids, robots, and aliens. Focusing on severe feelings of low self-worth, meaninglessness, and yearning for something ...more
Published June 20th 2009 by Muumuu House

Be the first to ask a question about During My Nervous Breakdown I Want to Have a Biographer Present

Sam Pink
Feb 09, 2009 rated it it was amazing
after reading this book, i am still trying to determine if i could beat brandon up, or if like, he is one of those guys that just freaks out and destroys you. the poems are good.
Martyn
Mar 20, 2012 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry, 2013, experimental
I get tired of hearing these sorts of collections written off as "hipster junk", as if nothing about them can possibly be good. Nothing could be further from the truth. I challenge anyone who knows and enjoys poetry to read, for example, "some inconceivable crisis thing" in this book and not be reminded of Keats in his pomp. Sure the language and metaphors are wildly different but the poets are ultimately discussing the same thing - the human condition. The ultra contemporary setting and languag ...more
Chris
Mar 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
I LIKE THIS BOOK A LOT.
Annette Abbott
Feb 24, 2012 rated it really liked it
Do people like Tao Lin and Brandon Scott Gorrell lose their street cred if someone above the age of 25 gives them a favorable review? If so, I'm totally sorry, dude. You're the person I wanted to be when I was in high school.

- 48 year old from San Francisco

Evan
Jul 24, 2009 rated it it was amazing
felt good reading this.
Mike Kleine
Jun 12, 2010 rated it it was amazing
So let's get this out of the way now. I didn't realize I was reading a book of poetry until I got to about page 12. I say this because whenever I read 'normal' poems, I feel like it's a chore, like my brain is becoming numb. Metaphor this, metaphor that; am I really supposed to know what you (the author) mean when you say 'sasquatian interpolation'? With Brandon Scott Gorrell's DURING MY NERVOUS BREAKDOWN I WANT TO HAVE A BIOGRAPHER PRESENT, it felt like I was reading some intense inner-poetry.. ...more
Jason
Jun 07, 2009 rated it really liked it
There is a subtle (and sometimes not so subtle) sense of fear slowly creeping through the pages of Brandon Scott Gorrell's debut collection During My Nervous Breakdown I Want to Have a Biographer Present (June 20th, 2009 by Muumuu House). Perhaps it is a fear of reveling too much, cutting to close, or perhaps it is the legitimate fear of having a nervous breakdown. Throughout these poems Brandon seems to be looking for something, friends, silence, fame (whatever that means), he is searching mean ...more
Jeffrey
Jul 12, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: poetry
Gorrell's book is a thoughtful yet humorous collection of entertaining poems that fits perfectly with publisher MuuMuu House, run by writer Tao Lin. It's a certain style of poetry that I would try to define and put my finger on why I like it, but I won't pretend to be enough of a critic to try that, I prefer to just read. Makes me wish I kept up with poetry writing...
Liza Rosen
Apr 10, 2019 rated it did not like it
incredibly vapid horseshit. anyone mistaking this lazy, self-obsessed drivel for a thoughtful exploration of the human emotional canvas should feel terrible about themselves
Billy
Feb 12, 2012 rated it liked it
Muumuu House has provided a venue for the community of emotive bloggers-turned-poets. Think of Megan Boyle or Tao Lin, or those related indie publishers touting Sam Pink or Carlton Mellick III. On one hand, I want to be excited about the rise of experimentalism, the rise of a creative community who understands the surreal as a kind of hyper-real engagement with the subjective imagination. The writer who isn't afraid to write a book about a man being slowly eaten by a bear, who retells children's ...more
Jeff Hoiland
Nov 08, 2012 rated it it was amazing
This book made me feel ok (and other things too). One time at night I felt really negative and shitty physically and was breathing weird and kept thinking things like 'I'm stupid. I don't like this. I think people who like me must be stupid. People who I like don't like me. I'm alone.'(is this a nervous breakdown? I honestly don't know what a nervous breakdown is) and other stuff, including 'I'm gonna read that bitch's nervous breakdown book'. When I woke up the next day I still felt 'pretty shi ...more
Jordan Castro
Jun 03, 2009 rated it it was amazing
this book is amazing.
Gsolarz
Nov 08, 2010 rated it it was ok
some of it made me laugh. some of it was poor.
Miles Ross
Jul 02, 2009 rated it it was amazing
i feel that my appreciation for this book's existence in genuine. i seem to have welcomed its effect on me.
walter mackey
Dec 31, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: books-i-own
really good. laughed at a lot of parts. was inspired to write a haiku after reading.
Emily
Jun 17, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: poetry
-The use of first person allows the reader to empathize with the narrator. There is an honest tone and no pretension. Declarative and objective sentences about the reality the narrator is experiencing create the feeling of honesty.
-Juxtaposition of neurotic thoughts of isolation and anxiety next to larger societal problems contributes to the idea that both personal and societal needs are important and relevant to speak of. The 'larger' problems seem to both dwarf the individual but in a way tha
Jessica
May 11, 2016 rated it it was amazing
I recently absorbed myself in Brandon Scott Gorrell’s anthology During My Nervous Breakdown I Want to Have a Biographer Present and found myself developing a deep appreciation towards it. Gorrell was able to explain and describe anxiety, depression, and insecurity without spelling it out for the reader. He displayed realistic, uncut, self-conscious thoughts of an imperfect human being within this collection.

In this book of poetry, Gorrell used somewhat dark humor very expertly to show the reader
Matthew
Jun 06, 2009 rated it it was amazing
Sometimes you find something, and you look at it from a distance, and it seems flat. And then you take that thing and you bring it close to your face, and then a little closer, and then maybe a little closer still, and you notice that it's not flat, but full of notches and grooves. (Like a record, maybe.) Sometimes in order to feel all the notches and grooves in something, you have to use something really sensitive, like your tongue.

Brandon's book has notches and grooves when you get up close. O
J.A.
Jan 03, 2009 rated it it was ok
from a review at Rumble Magazine:

"...characters in this gathering of poetry are rare, unless one reads these poems as part of a fictional character’s collective consciousness rather than Gorrell’s own personal anxieties and attempted ego-deflating laid out on pages. And regardless of any character that these poems are attached to, the focus here is pure self, the unadulterated and ever-present ‘i’..."

read the full review here:

Christine
Nov 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
The openness with which Gorrell reveals his frustrations and annoyances, such as with life and writing, through poetry echoes the comforting feelings that writers of Muumuu house tend to provide. Gorrell teaches emerging poets to be conversational and not to see poetry as anything in particular but as an opportunity to share, tear up, and explore the comment cards of one's life.
Zach
Mar 03, 2011 rated it really liked it
Overall this is a very good poetry collection. Gorrell's more whimsical works are my favorites, where his self-described anxiety, low self-confidence and alienation are played out in new and interesting ways - "i want my body to become a comet / and i want my body to crash into the moon / and i want this to be globally televised."
Christine
Nov 15, 2011 rated it really liked it
Matthew Roskowski
Jul 23, 2011 rated it did not like it
I couldn't give this 0 stars, so 1 will do. Hipster poetry to the max. Basically just taking whatever leftovers Tao Lin (not much to say for him either) leaves behind.

some boring observations
some more observations

attempt at witty remark
to summarize nothing and
end the poem.
Andy X L
Dec 18, 2011 rated it really liked it
I really enjoyed this collection of words from BSG.
He is very funny but at the same time his life seems really bleak. Brandon is very complicated and very lonely and he articulates his sense of worthlessness in a seemingly enjoyable manner.
Melanie Richards
May 14, 2009 rated it it was ok
Some of these poems are PERFECT. Just awesome descriptions of how inane and weird life is. This book gets a bit redundant though; if BSG expands his methods of approach or subject matter, he'll be a great writer.
Biscuits
Jan 27, 2010 rated it liked it
These are poems meant for the 21st century. That sounds kind of dumb, but I think it is true. Like there are cell phones and computers and stuff like that in here. I feel like Brandon is a friend, talking to me. I like that. The haikus are really cool.

Christina
Feb 01, 2013 rated it it was amazing
There's a lot of suffocating in space.
RD Morgan
Jul 03, 2012 rated it did not like it
I'm not really sure what to say here. So I won't say anything else.
Mii
Jul 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
This book is a great read!

• Sometimes My Heart Pushes My Ribs
  • Alone with Other People
  • EVER
  • What Is Amazing
  • IF U DONT LOVE THE MOON YOUR AN ASS HOLE
Brandon Scott Gorrell (b. 1984) has been 'widely published' on the internet. His blog is called MY HAIR WILL DEFEAT YOU. He lives and works in Seattle, Washington.
“a synonym for ‘insane’ is ‘bananas” 10 likes