Start by marking “A History of the Vikings” as Want to Read:
A History of the Vikings

A History of the Vikings

This enthralling, well-documented, and vivid account chronicles the activities of those bold sea raiders of the North who terrorized Europe from the eighth to the eleventh centuries. A dramatic narrative takes readers from the White Sea in the Arctic to Africas Moroccan coast, from Viking operations in Russia, England, and Ireland, to daring exploits in Iceland, Greenland, ...more
Published April 30th 2004 by Dover Publications (first published January 1st 1968)

To ask other readers questions about A History of the Vikings, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about A History of the Vikings

Start your review of A History of the Vikings
Madeline
Oct 28, 2013 rated it it was ok
I plucked this from the bargain pile at Barnes and Noble, on the rationale that I know very little about the Vikings and want to learn more. And also because I've been watching the History Channel's Vikings and please, guys, someone tell me they are watching it too because it's so great and I will be super sad if it doesn't last longer than two seasons.

Anyway, Kendrick's book was first published in 1930, which means the language of the book is very scholarly and dry, and he uses words like
J Chad
Nov 09, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This book was quite interesting and extremely informative, but the writing is terribly dry and convoluted. In addition, the events described are segregated by geography, so the timeline is often convoluted and difficult to understand. If you have an interest in the history of Viking activity, this will be enjoyable, but is is definitely not going to appeal to those looking for an entertaining story.
Lillian Carl
A scholarly tome originally published in 1930, which goes into much greater detail than my grasshopper-like mind can handle. But Kendrick is roughly of Tolkien's generation and has a similar facility with prose---beautifully constructed compound sentences, for example---that has me reading along for the sound of the language almost more than for the content.
Lauren Albert
It started out strongly but then it seemed to disintegrate. I couldn't follow it anymore and Kendrick seemed to keep jumping from topic to topic. A page on something and then a new header and another page on something else. Maybe I'll return to it one day--maybe it gets stronger when he gets moves beyond that period to a time when more is known.
Colin Darby
"The Vikings" is a fatally flawed book. Leaving aside its dated information, it fails on several other levels.

First and worst is that it's intensely focused on the British Isles but claims to be a general overview. The chapters on England, Ireland, Scotland, and Wales in my copy are ninety pages, of 310 of total text. For comparison, the religious, social, technological, and pre-history background, and the history of Viking-age Scandinavia itself, take about eighty pages. This is because it's a
Mike
Nov 10, 2017 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, own
I bought this not realizing it was a reprint of an older book. Thorough, albeit dry, chronology of Viking history. A great source for anyone wanting to trace the roots of a civilization and impact on their neighbors.

Not a swashbuckling narrative of the life and culture from an individual daily life perspective.

Overall it is sold d work. This would be useful as a reference source (or to point me to sources) but not one Id read again for fun.
Perry Wolfecastle
May 11, 2019 rated it liked it
A bit of a slog for those looking for a light and interesting read about Viking history. This is first and foremost an academic text of it's age and it shows both in formatting and writing style. It is however a very good read for anyone who wants to know more about the Vikings in certain parts of the world and fully encompasses our knowledge of Viking activity up to the 1930's
Paul Lunger
Originally published in 1930, T.D. Kendrick's "A History of the Vikings" takes a detailed look at the history of the Norsemen. The book itself s in 2 parts the first gives kind of an overview of the Vikings and their basic history across Scandinavia. The 2nd piece goes very much into detail about each of the lands the Vikings would play a part in the history of across both Europe & North America. The book itself is an enjoyable read although at times it goes into a bit too much detail which ...more
Andrew
Jan 02, 2015 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
I picked this book up from the bargain shelf at Barnes and Noble, not realizing it was a re-print from 1930. So obviously it isn't the latest and greatest in research into the Viking era. Also because of the nature of the constant warring of the Vikings, this book can be a little hard to follow as the names are constantly changing and territories are constantly changing hands. Still, it was a decent overview of how the Vikings spread out from Scandinavia across Europe. The sections on Iceland ...more
Diane
Jan 25, 2017 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I couldn't get further than about 20 pages.

I think my biggest issue was the author's value judgements of the Vikings. It's fine to have an opinion but a history book should at least give the impression the author has reserved judgement and allow the reader to form her own opinion.

Also use of the words "Christendom" and "thither" just bothered me.
Jen
Dec 19, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good. It's definitely a more scholarly read, not light in the least, but it is a great overview of Viking history for those who are curious and invested in the subject. The language takes a little getting used to, but once you adjust it is no problem.
Naftoli
The information in this book is detailed and eye-opening though it is difficult to read. The author's writing style is as dry as a cracker. I finished a third of the book before I stopped. There are more books in the world than I can possibly read, why slug through such a dry one!?
Dan
Jan 06, 2015 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a very trying and kind of a boring read. It reads very much like a text book, and it was written in the 1930's which makes you wonder how up to date it is, and how accurate it is. It was somewhat interesting, but I wouldn't recommend reading this for fun.
Keith Haan
Nov 22, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This is a very comprehensive book about the Vikings. It is very detailed and probably includes more that you really want to know. It's very scholarly and reads like a text book.
Ryan
Dec 12, 2008 rated it it was ok
I love the Vikings, but this book was a little slow and dry.
Peter Davis
Aug 22, 2015
Matthew
Apr 23, 2017
Douglas
rated it did not like it
Apr 17, 2015

• Traditional Irish Fairy Tales
  • X
  • The Encyclopedia of Country Living
  • Number the Stars
  • Little House in the Big Woods (Little House, #1)
  • Legion (The Horus Heresy #7)
  • The Magic Goes Away
  • The Magic May Return
  • Treasury of Children's Classics
  • The Poisoner's Handbook: Murder and the Birth of Forensic Medicine in Jazz Age New York
  • The Vikings
  • Some Buried Caesar (Nero Wolfe, #6)
  • Henry Huggins (Henry Huggins, #1)
  • The Path Between the Seas: The Creation of the Panama Canal, 1870-1914
  • The Lorax
Sir Thomas Downing Kendrick KCB, British archaeologist and art historian.