Start by marking “Tales of Death and Dementia” as Want to Read:
Tales of Death and Dementia

Tales of Death and Dementia

Stories of lost love, lost ways . . . and lost minds. Gris Grimly's mysterious, morbid, and macabre illustrations capture four Poe classics with an unmatchable ghoulish charm. This second installment of illustrated Poe tales, a companion to Edgar Allan Poe's Tales of Mystery and Madness, includes the perennial favorite The Tell Tale Heart, as well as The System of Dr. Tarr ...more
Published August 4th 2009 by Atheneum

To ask other readers questions about Tales of Death and Dementia, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Tales of Death and Dementia

Auntie Terror
Aug 30, 2018 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: graphic-novel
Brilliant - absolutely fitting. The pictures are as morbidly beautiful and horrifyingly fascinating as Poe's tales.
Melissa
Jan 18, 2016 rated it really liked it
In celebration of Poe's birthday it is only fitting to read a book of his stories. The stories are wonderfully retold with the amazing artwork of Gris Grimly. I enjoyed it and the artwork helped bring the stories to life.
♠️ TABI ♠️
Jan 31, 2017 rated it really liked it
This was deliciously creepy and morbid, as all Poe-ish things should be. The drawings were more on the absurd side of comedy, but they were a clever addition to these classic tales of the bizarre and horrific.
Whitney Maas
May 08, 2013 rated it it was amazing
All of my favorite EAP stories in one Grimly illustrated collection? dream. come. true.
Mandi Casutt
Sep 27, 2016 rated it liked it
very good and creepy great for this season
Angela
May 26, 2018 rated it it was amazing
My students loved this book. We started reading one story and ended reading the whole book. The book incorporates a great blend of some of the original text and creepy illustrations.
Natalie
Nov 22, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: horror
Gorgeous illustrations that go together very well with Poe's stories. I believe this was advertised as a book for younger readers, but I enjoyed it very much as an adult!
Kelly
Oct 07, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Another wonderful Poe book, full of wonderful illustrations!
Wilde Sky
Jun 30, 2019 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Four short horror stories.

The stories were all good, short and punchy. One issue I had with this book was the close to illegible text in some places.

Reading time around thirty minutes.
Pam24
Apr 19, 2019 rated it it was amazing
Poe will forever keep me in awe with his stories. I sadly didn’t feel the same way about his poems.
Cheryl
Feb 18, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: classics
The illustrations make this so much of a pleasure to read. Highly recommend this to anyone wanting to try Edgar Allan Poe.
Nicola Mansfield
Nov 29, 2009 rated it it was amazing
It's hard to decide a suitable age for this book, as children differ, but at whatever age your child can handle the gruesome artwork, they can handle the book. Presented here are four of Poe's most horrifying works that deal with death and madness: The Tell-Tale Heart, The System of Doctor Tarr and Professor Fether, The Oblong Box, and The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar. Being a fan of Poe's since I was 11, I have recently become quite fond of reading illustrated versions of his stories and po ...more
Riona
May 01, 2012 rated it really liked it
I stumbled across this while browsing the Young Adult section of my local library, and while I'm still working on the first volume of the free, public domain Works of Edgar Allen Poe on my kindle, I thought this would be a fun way to enjoy some of Poe's other tales.

This book includes abridged versions of 4 stories: "The Tell-Tale Heart", "The System of Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether", "The Oblong Box", and "The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar". I had only read the first previously (and
Rachel
Mar 21, 2012 rated it it was amazing
Tales of Death and Dementia is a collection of four of Poe's stories involving some form of madness, which is brilliantly illustrated by Gris Grimly (that has got to be a pen name!). The four stories included in this book are The Tell-Tale Heart (the most familiar of the the stories), The System of Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether, The Oblong Box, and The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar.

Each of the stories include Poe's well-known darkness, and he certainly seemed to have a good handle on the nat
Lydia
Feb 01, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: picture-books
The jacket description reads: "While the original stories have been neatly nipped and tucked, the dread, the gore, and the horror still reaches otherworldly heights." I must heartily agree with this description.

Poe's works are not typically thought of as the stuff fit for middle readers, but Grimly's illustrations help change that. Laid out in a fashion that is part comic-book, part narrative (with no dialogue bubbles), the goulash cartoon drawings create a world that is both fiction
Cortnei Brown
Mar 29, 2016 rated it it was amazing
If you're looking for a book that's filled with gore, this is definitely the book. "Tales of Death and Dementia" leaves you wondering what's going to happen next. I'd like to crown this book the king of mystery because of how much suspense it leaves me in. Edgar Allen Poe's writing style in this book makes you think at times, "What does that mean?" or "What did they say" because of how classy and elegant he may sound. I've also thought of it as being fictional in a dystopian way. I really liked ...more
Sarah Sammis
Dec 30, 2009 rated it liked it
Gris Grimly's illustrated four story volume Edgar Allan Poe's Tales of Death and Dementia made it to the short list of the 2009 Cybils. I love Poe's stories and Grimly's illustrations do help bring them to life but we quickly disqualified the book because it's not a graphic novel. It's four illustrated and abridged stories.

The book contains four shortened versions of "The Tell-Tale Heart", "The System of Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether", "The Oblong Box", and "The Facts in the Case of
Genevieve
Jun 16, 2015 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
It was a little hard to understand the writing, but then I got used to it a little while later. I'm not upset by this fact, since this was written over a century ago. Probably almost two.
My favourite story has to be The Oblong Box. I must say, the contents of the box surprised even me. Just the whole story amazed me.
The illustrations are beautiful. They are peculiar, but I feel that they match the stories perfectly. I might have not been able to understand the stories if there weren't any pict
Shacoria
Feb 22, 2011 rated it really liked it
There are 4 stories in this book. The illustrations greatly add to the book. They make it far more interesting. They even have the effect of adding some comedy to Poe's very morbid stories. Of the 4 stories my opinions are thus:

The Tell Tale Heart: This I believe to be Poe's greatest work. I love this story. The narrator is fascinating in that he continuously states that he is not mad right before showcasing another incident that proves that he is in fact, mad.

The Oblong
Melissa
Nov 04, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Having never read any Poe, I dutifully picked this (and "Tales of Mystery & Madness) at the local library for some Halloween reading. And boy, was it good! It included abridged versions of "The Tell Tale Heart", "The System of Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether", "The Oblong Box", and "The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar". All thrilling tales with a touch (or sometimes more) of the macabre, Matt and i loved every minute of reading these aloud to each other. Gris Grimly's illustrations just added ...more
Caitlin
Jun 01, 2013 rated it really liked it
While designed for children, this book will delight Poe fans of all ages. The gruesome and sometimes gross illustrations to these four tales are a perfect counterpoint, and the stories lose nothing from the abridgment. The stories ranged from highly recognizable to a little more obscure: The Tell Tale Heart, The System of Dr. Tarr and Professor Fether, The Oblong Box, and The Facts in the Case of M. Valdemar.

Dark humor, death, and insanity await.

If you're giving this to a
Mason Giles
Dec 03, 2013 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: infm-208
This book is a collection of four Edger Allan Poe Poems in colluding, The Tell-Tale Heart, The System of Doctor Tarr and the Professor Fethr, The oblong Box and The Facts in the case of M. Valdermar.

This book to put is simply is Beautiful. The illustrations are so good and add SO much to the stories presented in this collection. Not only is the art great but the style seems to fit so well with the eerie and morbid tales of Mr. Poe. Every page is covered in detail, The Illustrator Gris Grimly we
Heather
Sep 15, 2010 rated it liked it
I've decided that Poe really doesn't tell the most original stories, or even the scariest stories. A few of his stories are incredible and they are the ones everyone knows: Tell-Tale Heart, Cask of amontillado, the pit and the pendulum, the raven. The ones in this book I'm sorry to say were far too easy to figure out and I simply got bored.

However, the pictures are gorgeous and weird! So I will recommend you at least read Tell Tale Heart to see the pictures.
Danielle Casey
May 19, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Well, I didn't read this book for Poe, but because I am a fan of Gris Grimly. The artwork is superb and added a fun and needed element to the works of Poe. The stories of course are classic Poe, the art just clarifies and enhances the story telling. This is one of many Grimly books I own and I will continue to collect them.
Elle Kay
May 23, 2015 rated it liked it
Shelves: library-book
A collection of four Edgar Allan Poe stories concerning madness and skilfully illustrated by Gris Grimly. The stories themselves have been edited, presumably to tailor to the younger reader, however they are suitably grim and bizarre as Poe often is. I think the age group would be 10+ but I suspect, for the artwork alone, adults will get the most out of this collection.
Katie Florida
Oct 25, 2015 rated it really liked it
I've always been a fan of Poe, constantly drawn in and intrigued by his surprise endings. And, his take are credit enough on their own, but with the artwork of Gris Grimly, they're taken to a whole new level. I can't call the art beautiful - it's just as much "can't-look-away " as the stories themselves. The art adds to the eerie tone and frightening events told, a beautiful pairing.
Regina
Apr 03, 2016 rated it it was ok
First time actually reading Edgar Allen Poe's writings and it was definitely different. If I was still into horror or thrillers I probably would be in like of these dark tales but its a bit too dark for me. His writing however is quite gripping. I enjoyed reading it but I like the sunny side of stories.
Magenta  Cooly
Dec 26, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Five stars for the illustrations alone, almost. This is Edgar Allan Poe like you've never seen him before.
I think I like the first book more, though. It freaked me out a lot more, plus, it had more of my favorite stories in it. My favorite story in this one had to be the last; "The Facts in the Case of M. Valdimere." (I think that's how you spell it :/)
So creepy!
Wit
Oct 28, 2015 rated it it was amazing
I adore the illustrations by Gris Grimly in this book. The style he uses works so well with Poe's stories that they fit together naturally and don't overpower the tales. Not bad for a book I bought at a library sale for $1!
Julie Rylie
Sep 04, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: graphics
Wow, the graphics of this book are absolutely amazing (and dark) and really make the tales even more interesting.

The cover is of course related to the House of Usher even though that tale is not there.

• 28 Days Later, Vol. 4: Gangwar
  • Good Dog
  • A Fall of Stardust
  • Lantern City Vol. 1
  • Jaybird
  • Killer Fashion: Poisonous Petticoats, Strangulating Scarves, and Other Deadly Garments Throughout History
  • The Howling Ghost (Spooksville, #2)
  • The Fir Tree
  • Doctor Who: The Dalek Project
The name Poe brings to mind images of murderers and madmen, premature burials, and mysterious women who return from the dead. His works have been in print since 1827 and include such literary classics as The Tell-Tale Heart, The Raven, and The Fall of the House of Usher. This versatile writer’s oeuvre includes short stories, poetry, a novel, a textbook, a book of scientific theory, and hundreds of essays and ...more