Start by marking “Ancient Ruins of the Southwest: An Archaeological Guide” as Want to Read:
Ancient Ruins of the Southwest: An Archaeological Guide

Ancient Ruins of the Southwest: An Archaeological Guide

An ever popular book detailing hundreds of archaeological ruins across the American Southwest.
Published January 1st 2000 by Cooper Square Pub (first published December 1st 1981)

To ask other readers questions about Ancient Ruins of the Southwest, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Ancient Ruins of the Southwest

Start your review of Ancient Ruins of the Southwest: An Archaeological Guide
Msoneworld4me
This is a welcome guide for every traveler when they are exploring the southwest, so glad I found it.

In this book there is a clear descriptions of each site, time-saving tips for the traveler, nearby towns and other helpful information. Filled with photos of ruins, petroglyphs, artifacts, and maps, this easy to follow book will enhance your trip to the areas listed. Use this book to plan your visit and make the most of each trip.

Overall great guide to archaeological ruins of the American
James
Apr 25, 2019 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: history, non-fiction
A decent guide, black and white photos and illustrations.
Erica Belham
Oct 02, 2017 rated it it was amazing
Started off by dipping into it in a rather ad hoc manner as I thought it was more of a reference book. Then decided to read it in a logical manner from start to finish and found it very readable and very interesting, all the more so if you intend visiting some or even all of the sites mentioned.
Dave
Jan 29, 2019 rated it it was amazing
I liked this book. I had checked it out from the library because it looked interesting. But, now that I have read it, I've decided that I need to own a copy of it so that I can use it over and over as I look for new ruins to explore.

The ruins discussed in this book are all well known ruins that are often protected as a National Park or Monument or Recreation Area, the rest of the ruins are almost all state parks. I am familiar with every ruin my home state, but this book introduced me to several
Hunter McCleary
Mar 20, 2018 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: a-liner-library
Admittedly, did not read this book cover-to-cover but will have it by my side as I travel and explore these cultural treasurea of the Southwest. Did read the sections describing each of the major cultures that populated the Four Corners region.
Linda
Jul 30, 2017 rated it liked it
Although this is the 2000 edition, it would make a useful guide to have in the car while traveling through the four corners area.
Ryan Mishap
Jan 21, 2009 rated it really liked it
Shelves: guide-books
Yes! From Mexico to Arizona, New Mexico, Utah, and Colorado, Noble lists all the ruins there are to visit. He provides a brief history of each place and the people who lived there, which is fascinating enough for this to be good reading even if you aren't visiting. This book will be my guide for years to come as I search for ruins to visit. I'll probably never visit them all, but Noble can't live forever and then maybe I can take his job. Him and William Sullivan--as soon as they kick the ...more
Shruts
Aug 12, 2014 rated it really liked it
This book is solely for the keenly interested in the topic of the Ancient Ones of our Southwest USA: generically the Anasazi, or as the preferred group name, Ancestral Puebloans.

The chapters are organized by group names: Chacoans, Mogollon, Hohokam, etc., and more recent cultures of the historic period, the Fremont and Puebloan.

Often overlapping in time, and in adjacent geographies, Grant Noble discusses the cultural and architectural influences on each.

I liked it a lot, as an excellent
Matt
Mar 28, 2009 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: archaeology
"If you want to understand the differences between Anasazi, Mogollon, Hohokam, Sinagua and Salado, you get a very brief primer here. Otherwise the book is an interesting reference and catalog of many individual sites and regions containing sites ascribed to the aforementioned groups. I read this book early on in my studies and the distinctions were lost on me. A second read will probably warrant a higher rating. LOTS of pictures in this book which is very nice."
Lydia
Feb 22, 2013 rated it really liked it
We have a trip planned for New Mexico and as I was exercising one morning I saw this book (well, the revised and expanded version) on my bookshelf. Glad I saved it. Read through the parts on the areas we are going to see and that much more excited about it! Definitely bringing it with me.
Jeffrey St.
Mar 18, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Without question, the best popular guide to the Anasazi and Hohokom ruins of the desert southwest. Erudite and informative, with descriptive photos and trustworthy maps and directions. A model of its kind.
Clayton H
Oct 07, 2011 rated it really liked it
Shelves: 2013
Peublos and more pueblos - if you are in the area this is the book to have, a marvelous guide that only touches and samples the history and cultural legacies of the cultures covered. But it does 'ruins' beautifully.
Robert Gay
Nov 23, 2016 rated it really liked it
A nice introductory book for people just getting acquainted with the region and cultures.
Greta
Sep 02, 2011 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: travel
Excellent overview of the ruins of the Southwest plus a little bit of history; wish it had been updated more recently. A good guide and research tool if you're planning a trip to that region.
Gregory Nelson

• Ancient Peoples of the American Southwest
  • The Essential Talmud
  • Principles of Archaeology
  • A History of the World's Religions
  • Canaanite Myth and Hebrew Epic: Essays in the History of the Religion of Israel
  • The Archaeology of Qumran and the Dead Sea Scrolls
  • This Way Madness Lies
  • Wheelock's Latin
  • Just Say Nu: Yiddish for Every Occasion (When English Just Won't Do)
  • Cooking for Geeks: Real Science, Great Cooks, and Good Food
  • Athenaze: An Introduction to Ancient Greek: Book II
  • The Human Bone Manual
  • The Archaeology of Human Bones
  • Athenaze: An Introduction to Ancient Greek Book I
David Grant Noble was raised in rural Massachusetts, attended Yale University, and began photographing seriously in 1962 while serving in army counterintelligence in Vietnam. In the 1960s, while living in New York City, he wrote and photographed for the weekly newspaper, Manhattan East, covering anti-Vietnam war rallies in New York and Washington, D.C. among other assignments. He also documented ...more