Start by marking “Shadowblade Academy 1: Darkness Calls” as Want to Read:
Shadowblade Academy 1: Darkness Calls

Shadowblade Academy 1: Darkness Calls

(Shadowblade Academy #1)

At Shadowblade Academy, everyone fears the shadows…

Being the ordinary sister of a supernatural powerhouse isn’t fun. I live in the Crust, an outsider town for normies, while she gallivants around her top-secret academy for Abnorms.

Then everything goes sideways on my twenty-first birthday. Mediums scream at me like possessed nuns. Dudes pop out of shadows, trying to kidnap
Paperback, 1st edition, 420 pages
Published February 10th 2022 by Independently published

To ask other readers questions about Shadowblade Academy 1, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about Shadowblade Academy 1

Start your review of Shadowblade Academy 1: Darkness Calls
♥Milica♥
CALLING ALL METALHEADS, THE CAT'S NAME IS BRUCE KITTENSON.

Great opener, wouldn't you agree? If I wasn't already going to read everything KC Kingmaker writes, naming a precious little cat after the lead singer of Iron Maiden would surely convince me to start.

Coralia's story has some similarities with Dawn's (Briarwitch Academy), except poor Coralia got whisked away through shadows, while Dawn mostly agreed to go to her school.

And Briarwitch Academy is also mentioned throughout the book, as is D
Lacy
Jun 16, 2022 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
spoilers I guess

I had to put it down at 27%. The amount of BS and bullying had already reached my limit and I didn’t like the first “intimate” attack encounter of one of the male leads. He may not have penetrated her in the traditional way that’s rapey but since he’s a vampire and attacked her while she was held down by a b*itch then I’d classify that as it.
Melo
May 07, 2022 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Not for me DNF

I made it to 52% before I gave up, I just got bored even skipping didn't help. The main character has been at this academy for months on end and hasn't asked anyone about her sisters disappearance. At the start of the book she went on about how close they were, so much for caring about what happened. The POV's add nothing to the book progression just a lot of internal dialogue about what's already happened. One of my pet hates is having to re-read an already boring topic. Would hav
Louise
Mar 02, 2022 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
DNF. Started it & couldn't get into the story. ...more
j u n e ♡
I never thought I'd crave a school-set novel, but here I am, with a freaking chokehold on this genre.

Aside from the chaotic cast, one aspect of this reverse harem novel that I enjoyed was the magic system and the overall mystery-suspish atmosphere.

I honestly would have liked to see more of Coralia's badassery, but we didn't get much in this book, so hopefully in the sequel, which I'll be diving into after my next reverse harem read.

Aside from that, I couldn't take the names seriously; I don't kn
Maghon Thomas
Jul 24, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
what a way to start a series!

I wasn’t prepared… I still wanna know what happened with Marlow… I want to know where Myria is… and does Dreamwatcher still have his place? Does Coralia find Jace and help him? Is the headmaster a good guy or a bad guy? Yep, there’s a ton of questions and yet it was a beautiful start. Venn is still my favorite with Dax leading close second. I’m not sure how I feel about Sunny just yet. I love Charli! And Bruce!! And I’m diving straight into book 2!
Keeli (Lee) Smith
Shadowblade Academy Isn’t my normal go to type of story. I love fantasy but I’m not Into school themed books. I would rate it at a 4.5 because it does jump around a bit for me, but by the end, I want to know more! So, I’m rounding it up to 5. Overall, I did enjoy this book and will definitely pick up the sequel. It hits that sweet spot between YA and adult. This book reminded me of School for Psychics by K.C Archer. A young woman going to a school for gifted students or abnormals, looking for he ...more
Jennie
Jun 09, 2022 marked it as did-not-finish  ·  review of another edition
I just can't

Picked this up because I read Briarwitch Academy and really enjoyed it.

I only made it to about 20% and even that was a struggle. FMC was just so unlikable to me that I couldn't stand to read any more. Plus throwing in a few assaults on the FMC with zero repercussions for the guys was supremely annoying, especially when the FMC blamed herself for getting into the situation.
(view spoiler)
Susan Swank
Dnf-ed. I was really drawn in by the plot of ignored child/sister comes into her own but everything about this is stupidly implausible.

Has zero training, bare bones knowledge of supernatural society and has zero idea of about any abilities she might posess but is expected to attend top-tier elite supernatural assassin school? Repeated stated that school and people are the good guys, literally every action from her abduction to a SA-ish, non-consenting blood feed, shows that they are not in fact
Kira Bell
Apr 01, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I love when worlds are expanded and added to with new characters and old ones popping in to help link the stories together in some way. This book does a great job of doing just that while establishing a new venue filled with intrigue along the way! Briarwitch Academy feeds students into the Shadowblade Academy where students expand their abilities in the areas of defense and offense to protect the magical world from enemies. The MC here believes she is a magical dud as her sister came into magic ...more
Little Blue Butterfly
I received an Advanced Reader Copy for an honest and voluntary review

I really enjoyed this start to a brand new series by KC Kingmaker!! I’ve loved all of her books, so far, so I was extremely excited for this series!! Firstly, let me just mention that this book’s cover is gorgeous and badass 😍 Our FMC, Coralia, is a total badass, too 🖤 My prediction is she is definitely going to be the strongest supernatural by the series end!!
Coralia has definitely been through a lot in her life. Always livi
Bookandinklover
Interesting spin-off

Shadowblade Academy is a loose spin-off of Briarwitch Academy. The story is compelling and the characters are decent, but not fully fleshed out. I’m guessing that will change as the series progresses as will the lack of solid world building.

Coralia’s sister Myria came into her magical powers at 18. Coralia did not. Just after Coralia’s 21st birthday she learns that her sister is missing and that her own powers have now awoken. She gets taken to Shadowblade Academy where she
Klizbeth
Jul 22, 2022 rated it it was ok  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf, 2-star-reads
DNF, not for me. I just got bored. I was promised another badass heroine, but FMC just gets her ass beat by everyone.

Yes she is snarky, but snarky girls get beat on even more if they can’t back it up.

The prospective harem bullies the FMC and I’m not about that. One of the guys physically manhandles and attacks the FMC…

One of the H’s has graphic and depicted sex with another girl in this book.

Also, nothing happens in this book except FMC failing at everything. No one is making any progress on
Amy Weller
Feb 12, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
An excellent beginning!

This book rocks! The first in what promises to be a fantastic series, we get to travel to Shadowblade Academy to meet Venn, Sunny, Dex and Coralia. She is looking for her sister and it will be one wild journey for her and the three men. There is danger, secrets are being kept and we even get to see an old friend from Briarwitch Academy. It is a thrilling journey they are on and I can’t wait to read what comes next!

I read an ARC copy of this book and am volunteering my hone
Maya Lemaire
May 17, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: series-to-finish
I liked this! I see that I maybe should have read the other two series first but I could still understand everything without have done so.

I like the world building, the characters. I think some things could have been explored a bit more (like her classes and training, I feel it wasn't explained enough. Just mentions of her going and now knowing stuff) but overall it was a well thought out world.

The ending was well done. No huge cliff hanger but enough to have me intrigued. I am looking forward
Sheila Ryals
Apr 20, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
😻

Ok, first there was just so many emotions. I kinda rolled my eyes a bit at first. The whole Daddy kink thing just a bit annoying. At times I almost gave up. But I read on. Glad I did! This book actually came together a lot better. Btw Sunny is still not on my good list. A bit to full of himself! Also I now feel bad for a certain mean girl! Im still curious if Alaric is evil or not… so much to uncover. Im def starting book two soon!
Piros OlaSz
Mar 01, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
wow - a surprize great pick

After multiple wring choice this is my second in tow to pick up such a great book. Good basis of the story, intriguing storyline, adventurous, never boring, nice the romance line (I mean the romance not S’s hookups, still its okey to read) great characters and no multicharacter heroine but a smarmy smartmouth with powers (no whinny, ups and downs etc. but good as is). Already preordered book 2 ;) so catchup in April!!!
Kay
Apr 07, 2022 marked it as dnf  ·  review of another edition
Essjayreads
Feb 20, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
There were aspects of the book (specifically some language used) that seemed put of place within the writing, such as the use of badonkadonk and regular-schmegular. Honestly that made me cringe as it was just unnecessary and pretty much out of character. However overall I really enjoyed this book and am looking forward to the next one!
Alexis Blanchett
Mar 18, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
If I could 3.5 I would but I’d rather do a 4. I don’t leave reviews to often butttt the book was pretty decent. It was very unique and I saw the potential. I’m not a fan of reverse harem and I know this might turn into that. I do wish the details of the abilities and growth was a little different but overall a pretty good read.
Annalise
May 30, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: fantasy, romance
I loved this book so much!! I had won it at a giveaway on my booktok acc annalise.books right before that got banned and I had to make a new acc called "annalise.loves.books" but anyways I picked up this book not knowing what to expect and then ended up not being able to put it down and finishing it in one sitting!! ...more
John
May 02, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Dark Magic

Great story, great characters, fun, and dark. What more could you ask for? Adult situations and language. It kept me enthralled from start to finish. I can't wait to see where the next book takes us.
Suzanne McNeill Taviner
Great read.

I found this book a little slow to start with but I stuck with it,and I'm glad I did. The pace picked up along with the story and got me hooked! Looking forward to the next one.
Mikaela M
Mar 01, 2022 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
This was a good book and I suggest to those who enjoy paranormal romances. This overall plot was not something that I was hooked into but the writing was well done and it was an easy read.
Latasha No Drama
Loved it!!!!!

I really enjoyed reading this book! It was exciting and adventurous with a side of sexy! I’m looking forward to reading book 2.
M
Feb 15, 2022 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Fun and entertaining story. It drew me in with the intriguing mystery, fantastic characters, and a few steamy romances sprinkled into this great adventure. I also liked the small nods to the previous stories. It makes them all like one gigantic set. All that made for an awesome kick-off to the series, to me.
Leah Fischer
Mar 07, 2022
J.B. Miller
Feb 18, 2022
Nerys Jennings
Apr 28, 2022
« previous 1 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 next »

• Shadowblade Academy 3: Darkness Falls
  • Hell's Reaper (Soul Reaper Academy, #1)
  • Hell's Flame (Soul Reaper Academy, #2)
  • Fate Hollow Academy: Term 1 (Fate Hollow Academy, #1)
  • Rise of Shadows (Darker Shade #1)
  • Fate Hollow Academy: Term 2 (Fate Hollow Academy, #2)
  • Knight Forsaken (Black Veil University #3)
  • Captured by the Magi (Exemplar Hall #1)
  • Demon Throne (Demons of Morningstar #1)
  • The Lost Elemental (Royals of Kingwood Academy #1)
  • The Lost & The Wicked
  • Of Rain and Wrath (The Death Whisperer, #1)
  • Jesse and the Magi Vault (Exemplar Hall #2)
  • Reckless Souls (Saints Academy, #1)
  • Seducing Shadows (Fae Revealed, #2)
  • Creature of the Flame (Her Creatures, #1)
  • Blitz (The Storm Dragons' Mate, #1)
  • Monsters Within (The Creatures We Crave, #1)

Shadowblade Academy (2 books)
  • Darkness Rising (Shadowblade Academy, #2)