Start by marking “Złodziejka książek” as Want to Read:
Złodziejka książek

Złodziejka książek

4.37  ·  Rating details ·  1,836,223 ratings  ·  113,236 reviews
Rok 1939. Dziesięcioletnia Liesel mieszka u rodziny zastępczej w Molching koło Monachium. Jej życie jest naznaczone piętnem ciężkich czasów, w jakich dorasta. A jednak odkrywa jego piękno – dzięki wyjątkowym ludziom, których spotyka, oraz dzięki książkom, które kradnie.

Od momentu wydania powieść znajduje się na szczycie listy bestsellerów "The New York Timesa". Zyskała rów
Published January 2008 by Nasza Księgarnia (first published September 1st 2005)

To ask other readers questions about Złodziejka książek, please sign up.
Jason Röhde If in 2009 you saw a 40-year old man in suit and tie with tears streaming down his face on 7:28am train from Elmhurst to Chicago one summer morning...…moreIf in 2009 you saw a 40-year old man in suit and tie with tears streaming down his face on 7:28am train from Elmhurst to Chicago one summer morning...that was me. I had to wait until the train was clear before I could compose myself and leave.(less)
Nalinie The sky is dark blue fading into light blue, with weightless cotton fluffs floating listlessly, and a golden flower, centre staged, in full bloom, gra…moreThe sky is dark blue fading into light blue, with weightless cotton fluffs floating listlessly, and a golden flower, centre staged, in full bloom, gracing all with its light, caressing each with a warm embrace... (less)

·  1,836,223 ratings  ·  113,236 reviews

Start your review of Złodziejka książek
Sophia.
THE BOOK THIEF: A Summary.

Liesel: Hi, I'm Liesel. I have no personality, but I'm a cute little girl.

Death: Her name is not Liesel. Her name is THE BOOK THIEF and I shall name her that for the rest of the book.

Liesel: Even though I stole, like, 3 books in total or something.

Death: Shut up, Book Thief.

Rudy: Hello everyone. Have you ever seen a lemon? That's what my hair looks like.

Death: Here is a little information you should know: this books is filled with many interesting facts. Very releva
Shannon (Giraffe Days)
This is a book to treasure, a new classic. I absolutely loved it.

Set in Germany in the years 1939-1943, The Book Thief tells the story of Liesel, narrated by Death who has in his possession the book she wrote about these years. So, in a way, they are both book thieves. Liesel steals randomly at first, and later more methodically, but she's never greedy. Death pockets Liesel's notebook after she leaves it, forgotten in her grief, amongst the destruction that was once her street, her home, and car
La Petite Américaine Cash App: $Covid2020sucks
Jul 24, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: This is such a piece of steaming dog shit that I'd recommend it only to people I REALLY hate.
Maja (The Nocturnal Library)
“When death captures me,” the boy vowed, “he will feel my fist on his face.”
Personally, I quite like that. Such stupid gallantry.
I like that a lot.

A few days ago, when I was starting The Book Thief, my mother stopped by and saw the book on my coffee table. Having just read it herself (and knowing me better than anyone else in the world, I might add), she was determined to save me from myself. She did her very best to convince me not to read it. She described in detail the three day long head
Colleen
Aug 18, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who want a fresh angle on the Holocaust.
I put off reading this book for the library book club. Here are my three reasons for doing so:

1) It's a Young Adult Book. I am an Adult. It can't be that good if it's written for young people.
2) It's about the Holocaust, and I think we've all heard enough about that. The author will probably even focus on colors among the grays, as in "Schindler's List."
3) I have WAY too many other books to read.

After avoiding the book for as long as possible, I sat down, hoping to enjoy it enough to gain some c
Emily May
I hate it when this happens, I truly do.

It makes me feel wrong inside when everyone else loves a book that I find to be underwhelming... I mean, what's wrong with me?? Did I not get it?? Obviously it must be a lack of intelligence or something because everyone seems to rate this 5 stars. I was looking through my friend reviews hoping that someone would share my opinion - at least a tiny bit - and seeing 5 stars, 5 stars, 4.5 stars, 5 stars...

I can appreciate that Markus Zusak is a very talente
Tamara
Jul 07, 2007 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I give this 5 stars, BUT there is a disclaimer: If you want a fast read, this book is not for you. If you only like happy endings this book is not for you. If you don't like experimental fiction, this book is not for you.

If you love to read and if you love to care about the characters you read about and if you love to eat words like they're ice cream and if you love to have your heart broken and mended on the same page, this book is for you.

This story is narrated by Death during World War II,
Jesse (JesseTheReader)
Video review can be found here: https://youtu.be/rzEHcw769xg

It's going to take awhile for this book to fully sink in, but overall this was a masterpiece.
chai ♡
I feel like I was just given a history lesson but in the most emotionally damaging way possible.
Kat Kennedy
Jun 03, 2010 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People into self-flagellation
Just to clarify: Yes, I did cry.

I've read a lot of positive and negative reviews for this book. I can see why people wouldn't like it - I really can. Perhaps because I took a lot out of it personally, I found I enjoyed it a lot.

Quick test to see if you'll like this book:

1. Did you like Anne of Green Gables?
2. Can you cope with an off-beat, melancholy, caustic, dead-pan, self-righteous narrator?
3. Do you like words?
(Questions 4-8 were all about what kind of underwear you're wearing so don't worry
Will Byrnes
The Book Thief was published as Young Adult novel. Don’t you believe it. This is a wonderful novel, appropriate for adults of young, middle and advanced years. My wife was shedding copious tears as she finished reading the book, and insisted that I read it immediately. How could I not? I was prepared for a moving read and was not disappointed.

Sophie Nélisse as Liesel Meminger - from TV Guide

The main character is Liesel Meminger, just shy of ten years old when we first meet her. It is pre-WW II
Michael
Jun 10, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: dnf
I am apparently one of the few people who just do not see what all of the hype is about on this one. I was really excited to read this after all of the glowing reviews it got, but I was left extremely disappointed. I found the writing stilted and stuttering (hard to stutter in writing, but this book pulls it off), overly sentimental, and heavy-handed on the symbolism.

I also found the author's approach to the story to be just plain gimmicky. The first and foremost gimmick (also see heavyy-handed
Miranda Reads
Oct 10, 2018 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: audiobook
description

This one is a long book. But was it worth all that paper?

Click the link for my video review of the big bois in my life.
The Written Review:
description

I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.
Liesel, an orphaned girl, is sent to live with a foster family right before the Nazi's take over Germany.

She has a peculiar attachment to books, her first being a gravedigger's manual that she picks up during her brother's funeral.

Death takes an interest in her and her books on t
Sean Barrs
I devoured this. I read it, then I read it again, and now I want to read it for a third time.

I’ve really got to move on, but this was just so Good with a capital G. This book takes such an interesting perspective on a very written about period of history. Having Death as the narrator for parts of the story really took it to the next level; it made it utterly unique. It also created a sense of detachment from the events, and evoked the message that death is unavoidable and will eventually come f
Nataliya
Mar 15, 2011 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: People who have their handkerchiefs/Kleenex box handy
Recommended to Nataliya by: Mark Oshiro's blog

Wow. Words cannot describe how much I loved this book, what impact it had on me. But, like Liesel, words is all I have, so I will have to try.

This is a lyrical, poignant, heartbreaking, soul-shattering story disjointedly told by a nearly-omniscient, fascinated by humans narrator - Death. (***I must confess that I kept imagining Death as the small-caps speaking Grim Reaper from Pratchett's Discworld, baffled by humans and loving cats and curry. Don't judge me - I needed a glimpse of fun in the bl
jessica
Jun 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: favourites
it has been more than six years since i read this book, more than six years to write a review. and honestly, i still get emotional when i think about the beauty of this story. it broke my heart and then healed it all within the space of 144,000 heavy words, 550 fragile pages, 88 touching chapters, and 1 incredible story. deaths truth may be that he is haunted by humans, but mine is i am haunted by this book. and i wouldnt have it any other way, as it is truly a pleasure.

5 stars
Zannachan
Jan 11, 2008 rated it did not like it  ·  review of another edition
I had a hardcover of this book. I no longer have it. I did not even finish reading it, because it irritated me so much and when I asked if it got better no one could convince me that it was worth persevering.

I know that there are many people who love this book, authors who's book I love, readers who's tastes I respect. But I couldn't stand the narrator. Every time the Narrator intruded on the story it felt like exactly that--an intrusion. A lot of people really like the narrator, and I imagine
Whitney Atkinson
i have no words. never in my life have i sobbed so hard at a book. i had to put my knitting down, then i had to stop the audio book because i was crying too hard.
this book is no joke. i was going to give it 4 stars because i thought it was a little too long-winded but truly it is a masterpiece and thank you thank you thank you to everyone that persuaded me to read it.
Jason
I write this review under severe duress.

Three-star books are always difficult to review, aren’t they? They are difficult for me, mostly because I am so dispassionate about them. It’s much easier to review something you love, or something you hate, rather than something you’ve half-forgotten before you even get to your local library’s return box.

So this book is fine. Fine. It’s the story of a young German girl caught in the path of the advancing Nazi regime during World War II. For many German vi
She-who-must-not-be-named
Solid plot? Check
Strong emotions? Check.
Resolute characters? Check.
Compelling narration? Double check.

The writing engrossed me. The concept of death narrating the story was eloquently put forward. Often, when you have very high expectations from a book, you may end up getting disappointed. But this book proved to be quite the opposite and I loved it immensely.

The story follows a nine-year-old girl called Liesel Meminger who along with her brother Werner, given up by her mother, is taken to a sm
Diane
I hated this book. There is so much I disliked about it that I'm not sure where to begin. I recognize that I am in the minority on this one and that many of my GR friends loved this novel, so there's no need to start screaming at me in the comments. This book just wasn't my cuppa, and that's OK. We're allowed to like different books.

My List
I think the thing I hated the most was the writing itself. The sentences were rough, uneven and felt unfinished.

I hated that even though the sentences and ch
Kylie D
I have no words to describe this book. Brilliant? Wonderful? Amazing? All fall short, it's far more powerful than that. You'll just have to read it for yourselves...
Ahmad Sharabiani
The Book Thief, Markus Zusak

The Book Thief is a 2005 historical novel by Australian author Markus Zusak and is his most popular work. Published in 2005, The Book Thief became an international bestseller and was translated into several languages. It was adapted into a 2013 feature film of the same name.

Narrated by Death, a male voice who over the course of the book proves to be morose yet caring, the plot follows Liesel Meminger as she comes of age in Nazi Germany during World War II.

After the d
Walt
Mar 19, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: everyone.
Recommended to Walt by: My Dear Wife
Shelves: young-adult
Bravo Zusak! A standing ovation, a mighty opus. You stood Death on her head, removing her dark cloak and scythe, clothing her with feeling and letting us see she has eyes to see and a heart to feel, and the intellect to narrate a compelling story. I was so glad to find out she has a womb. Out of Death comes Life. She has greater aplomb than Nick in telling about Gatsby.

In the spring of 1968 at age 19, I made my way to Dachau. I lived just south of Munich and the visit to the defunct concentratio
Luca Ambrosino
ENGLISH (The Book Thief) / ITALIANO

Prologue: maybe I did not pay enough attention, anyway I did not understand anything about the prologue (or nearly). The beginning of this novel was not very exciting for me, the first pages left me quite indifferent. Only the first pages, luckily. First chapter: the novel recovers right away, capturing my interest. Until the end.

Germany, World War II. It's the story of Liesel's childhood, the thief of books, a little girl adopted by a modest German family, dea

Lyn
Jun 08, 2013 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Very good.

Having Death as the narrator and having as a central protagonist a young girl in Nazi Germany make The Book Thief by Markus Zusak stand out from the crowd of books about Europe during World War II; this book is good not so much because of the story, but how the author tells it.

In the Book Thief, Zusak uses a rich, multi-layered blend of allegory, metaphor and symbolism to create amidst the dirt and depression of Germany during the late 30s and 40s a stark vision of historical and phil
Brigid ✩
Aug 26, 2008 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Recommends it for: Everyone
Recommended to Brigid ✩ by: Lots of people
Oh, Book Thief …

I first picked up this book when I was 15 years old, after I'd been hearing such glowing reviews of it here on Goodreads. I knew next to nothing about it, besides that everyone seemed to love it so much; I recall seeing a conversation where a bunch of people agreed it was the best Young Adult book ever written. And then I pick it up from the library and it has some review on the front from the New York Times or something claiming this book is "LIFE-CHANGING" or something like tha
Elizabeth Sagan
Jun 22, 2017 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
I'M SHATTERED. COME ON, JUST GO READ THIS BOOK, IT WILL STICK WITH YOU FOREVER!
Archit Ojha
Apr 04, 2016 rated it it was amazing  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: books-we-own
I don't usually write reviews, in fact this is my first on goodreads.

This book is a heartwarming tale of people in hardships, who find happiness in small little corners of life. Rudy, who lived a short yet a conquering life. Liesel, the protagonist who understood things so well. Perhaps this why my wife had so big an impact of Markus Zusak's creation of this fictitious character. The Hubermanns had a touching sense about them. The story to me is not heartbreaking but heartwarming.

The moment Max
Emily (Books with Emily Fox)
Generous 3 star.

I feel like I should have like this but I didn't.

I like that death was the narrator, that the main character liked books and the relationship between her and her Papa.

I was indifferent about the rest. I always feel heartless when I don't care about a WW2 book but... here I am.

• The Help
  • All the Light We Cannot See
  • The Kite Runner
  • To Kill a Mockingbird
  • The Fault in Our Stars
  • The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)
  • The Boy in the Striped Pajamas
  • The Giver (The Giver, #1)
  • The Great Gatsby
  • Memoirs of a Geisha
  • A Thousand Splendid Suns
  • Water for Elephants
  • Life of Pi
  • The Lovely Bones
  • Harry Potter and the Sorcerer's Stone (Harry Potter, #1)
  • Outlander (Outlander, #1)
  • Gone Girl
  • The Time Traveler's Wife
Markus Zusak is the author of five books, including the international bestseller, The Book Thief , which spent more than a decade on the New York Times bestseller list, and is translated into more than forty languages – establishing Zusak as one of the most successful authors to come out of Australia.

To date, Zusak has held the number one position at Amazon.com, Amazon.co.uk, the New York Times

Articles featuring this book

Whether it’s magic schools, dystopias, paranormal love stories, or contemporary explorations of important real-life issues, young adult books...
209 trivia questions
11 quizzes
More quizzes & trivia...
“The only thing worse than a boy who hates you: a boy that loves you.” 10479 likes
“I have hated words and I have loved them, and I hope I have made them right.” 9152 likes