Start by marking “Dead on Target (Hardy Boys: Casefiles, #1)” as Want to Read:
Dead on Target (Hardy Boys: Casefiles, #1)

Dead on Target (The Hardy Boys Casefiles #1)

3.9  ·  Rating details ·  985 Ratings  ·  29 Reviews
When Joe's girlfriend is killed in the blast of a terrorist bomb, Frank and Joe Hardy pursue a ruthless terrorist leader, the infamous Al-Rousasa, who has targeted a presidential candidate for assassination.
Published January 1st 1991 by Simon Pulse (first published January 1st 1987)

To ask other readers questions about Dead on Target, please sign up.

Ann♥♪♪♪♪ No, Iola wasn't actually killed, it just looked like it in the 1st Casefile. She's alive. :) There are clues in that book she's alive, even tho it…moreNo, Iola wasn't actually killed, it just looked like it in the 1st Casefile. She's alive. :) There are clues in that book she's alive, even tho it didn't yet reveal that fact in that particular volume because they wanted to keep the suspense going. Check out the details on my blog "Hardy and Drew Mysteries" about Iola and the full answer to that question.
(less)

Eh?Eh!
I started out with Nancy Drew before realizing most of the girls in my class were reading ND while most of the boys were reading The Hardy Boys. Pssh! I crossed the divide and read BOTH!

I nearly went crazy trying to find all the Nancy Drew and Hardy Boys books. The public and school libraries had patchy collections; combined it was frustratingly close to complete. I started to keep a list. Then I learned there were spin-off series, the equally infinite Files/Casefiles and I think there was a Nan
Jason
Sep 17, 2007 rated it it was ok
I used to read the shit out of these in elementary and junior high. I put this one up because it's the first of the "casefiles" which was the publishing company's attempt to modernize the old Frank and Joe franchise for a more modern audience. They started off with a bang, literally, killing off Joe Hardy's girlfriend Iola (who he'd been dating since about the mid-30's apparently) in a car bomb meant for the Hardys. Hilariously, I used to go to the Amarillo Public Library's Southwest Branch and ...more
Kelli Rust
Aug 07, 2017 rated it really liked it
Shelves: owned-books
Cheesy, of course. But still worth reading if you're a fan of the Nancy Drew/Hardy Boys mysteries.
Christine
Feb 26, 2017 rated it really liked it
The Casefiles take a more serious turn from the original Hardy Boys books, but, as an older teen, I enjoyed spending time with my favorite detective duo in a slightly more believable setting. While I was shocked they killed off Iola, I also feel like the new unpredictability of the series gave credibility to the more serious storylines.
Spencer Moser
Jun 07, 2013 rated it liked it
Shelves: young-adult, 13-25
Dead on Target by Franklin W. Dixon is about the Hardy boys. They are two teenage brothers who love to solve cases. In this story, Joe's girlfriend Iola gets blown up in a car explosion meant for the boys. The people responsible are a 1000 year old terrorist group whose boss is getting hunted by the hardy Boy's father. Frank and Joe Hardy go and try to take out the leader "The Bullet" who's is also after their father.
Dead on Target is an amazing book for young teenage boys who do not like readi
Myles
I agree with Eh! I too crossed the gender divide and the original Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew series and a patchwork of the new series. They were so fun

My neighbor owned a hardcover set of the first 15 Hardy Boys Casefiles and when I borrowed them...things changed. Iola died. Sure, she was a pretty insignificant character but the sudden introduction of fierce, deadly reality into these books shocked my system. I read through I think...10 or 11 of the Casefiles but the spark was out of me.

I let go
Jaron Grass
Oct 01, 2015 rated it liked it
Dead on Target was a mystery book by Franklin W. Dixon. This book was part of the Hardy Boys: Casefiles series. The main characters in this particular book were Frank and Joe Hardy, who are brothers and their friends, Callie and Tony. What happens in this book is it starts out with Joe's girlfriend getting blown up because of this terrorist guy. Frank and Joe then promise to put Iola's killer to justice. When they nearly get killed a second time, a British government agent goes with them to a so ...more
Aashey Goel
Dec 04, 2014 rated it it was amazing
Hi readers,

I read this book a few days ago and I was delighted to read a book like this. Actually this was the first book which I completed in my lifetime. I get bored of books and leave them unfinished . But this book kind of encouraged me to read books. From now on I only read The Hardy Boys Casefiles. STORY - Joe's girlfriend Iola dies from a bomb blast which was set for Joe, he wants to get revenge for Iola's death. MY REVIEW - This book is just awesome. It has some good suspense and the act
Georgia
Mar 19, 2013 rated it really liked it
Joe and Frank Hardy are two brothers. When Joe's girlfriend is blow up by a terrorists bomb they go on an investigation to find her killer and discover many government related issues along the way.

Obviously this is a book aimed at teenage boys but I enjoyed the on goin action scene. From the begining BAM! The ending BAM!
The book was really well written. Would defintately recommend to any pre-teen/teenage boy or just anyone looking for a quick action packed novel.

As the series is now quite a bit
Amy
Jan 08, 2010 rated it it was amazing
I'm giving this book five stars, not becaue the writing or plot is that good, but because like the first Mandie book, "Dead on Target" represents a change in reading for me. It was the point where I gave up the kid section and finally moved onto the 'teenage' section of the library. Hardy Boys were safe xD I got into some bad books those first few months, but Hardy Boys were something I could trust. And I still think it would be sweet to have their gray, bullet-proof van!
Sean Menon
Dec 20, 2010 rated it it was amazing
Dead on Target by Franklin W. Dixon is a great classic mystery that is very well written. When the Hardy Boys got revenge on the person that killed Joe's girlfriend that was the best part of the book. Frank and Joe showed great courage during this book and I think they were very brave and strong willed. I would recommend this book to people that enjoy reading spooky mysteries. Timeless Classic!!!
Melody
Jan 04, 2012 rated it really liked it
This is your average Hardy Boys book, but particularly notable for having the balls to *SPOILERS* kill a major character who had been a consistent presence throughout the entire series *END SPOILERS.*
James
May 26, 2007 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
I remember these books being super awesome when I was like 10 years old. I liked the ones where the shadow government agency was involved the best. I think I also read some of those hardy boys/nancy drew crossovers too.
David
When I was still schooling, I tried to read all of the Hardy Boys books. I didn't come close to finishing the whole series, and by now I had already forgot most of the content of those that I had read. But I do recall how much I loved reading each and every one of them.
Brian Vasconez
i want to read this book
Dannuel Saùl Delizo
Jul 17, 2014 rated it liked it
Shelves: e-books, nosiness
Nobody takes an assassin alive!
Opticalillusion
Oct 06, 2014 rated it really liked it
Crossing from Nancy Drew to the Hardy Boys I can see with this story alone there appears to be a lot more violence.
Dave
Sep 04, 2008 rated it liked it
In lieu of adding 80 more books to my shelf, let's just say I devoured these in grade school and read a good chunk of the Casefiles series.
Katie Loucks
loved these series when I was younger!
Erika
Mar 25, 2008 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: fav-child-books
When I was in Elementry school these books were all I read!!
Shelbie Hughes
Feb 15, 2014 rated it it was amazing
great book really had me on end. I was a bit upset when the killed of one of the main characters but it was really good.
Jebin
Jun 17, 2011 added it
Loved it.
Kristen
Oct 16, 2012 rated it liked it
Shelves: own
Nice to read about Joe and Frank again. It's been ages! I must say this series uses every excuse to blow things up though. Heh. Much more action than the bluespines.
Lovechild
Jul 02, 2015 rated it it was amazing
Govardhan Rush
Oct 09, 2014 rated it it was amazing
A very good book..... Joe's girlfriend Iola get killed in a explosion....
Charissa
Jun 13, 2016 rated it it was ok
Nothing like the originals and not worth your time in my opinion. :)
Lynnette Lockwood
Aug 03, 2014
Katrina Rochon
Jan 30, 2016
Alise Zaffiri
Oct 27, 2015
Kyle
Dec 28, 2014
  • Mystery Train (Nancy Drew and the Hardy Boys: Super Mystery #8)
  • The Ocean of Osyria (The Hardy Boys Graphic Novel #1)
  • The Mystery in the Cave (The Boxcar Children, #50)
Franklin W. Dixon is the pen name used by a variety of different authors (Leslie McFarlane, a Canadian author, being the first) who wrote The Hardy Boys novels for the Stratemeyer Syndicate (now owned by Simon & Schuster). This pseudonym was also used for the Ted Scott Flying Stories series.
More about Franklin W. Dixon...

The Hardy Boys Casefiles (1 - 10 of 127 books)
  • Evil, Inc. (Hardy Boys: Casefiles, #2)
  • Cult of Crime (Hardy Boys: Casefiles, #3)
  • The Lazarus Plot (Hardy Boys: Casefiles, #4)
  • Edge of Destruction (Hardy Boys: Casefiles, #5)
  • The Crowning Terror (Hardy Boys: Casefiles, #6)
  • Deathgame (Hardy Boys: Casefiles, #7)
  • See No Evil (Hardy Boys: Casefiles, #8)
  • The Genius Thieves (Hardy Boys: Casefiles, #9)
  • Hostages of Hate (Hardy Boys: Casefiles, #10)
  • Brother Against Brother (Hardy Boys: Casefiles, #11)