Start by marking “The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks (The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks, #1)” as Want to Read:
The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks (The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks, #1)

The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks

(The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks #1)

There's a dead body in Perry Foster's bathtub. A dead body in a very ugly sportscoat and matching socks. The dead man is a stranger to Perry, but that's not much of a comfort; how did a strange dead man get in a locked flat at the isolated Alton Estate in the wilds of the "Northeast Kingdom" of Vermont? Perry flees downstairs to get help and runs into "tall, dark and hosti ...more
ebook, 1st Edition, 160 pages
Published December 23rd 2008 by Loose Id (first published December 2008)

To ask other readers questions about The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks

Start your review of The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks (The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks, #1)
Blacky *Romance Addict*

A spooky house

A ghost/dead body

Yellow socks

Image Hosted by ImageShack.us

Two guys solving the mystery

=

Awesome book with awesome writing and awesome mystery!

The writing...
I really loved it, especially the mystery part because this guy can WRITE!
It's witty and clever, funny and so intriguing, I couldn't wait to find out who the bad guy is :)

The romance part... Hmm it is the reason I'm giving it 4 instead of 5 stars :(
The chemistry is GREAT between them, really is, and that part I liked, but then when they hooked up... For
Ingie
Written February 10, 2015

3.8 Stars - A wittily well made romantic mystery tale

photo 57473c9561ff7cc04c2292cd692de502_zpse4540951.jpg

I just finished an 6:40 hrs audiobook pleasantly narrated by Max Miller and written by a favorite author, Josh Lanyon.

A "whodunit" mystery, an old (ghost) house and a bunch of strange neighbors. I liked it. As an old-time classic murder mystery with a cozy small added part of romance.

***********************************************

When Perry Foster is back from a from a sad romantic weekend, is there a dead body in
Abigail
Jun 18, 2014 rated it liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: listened-to, m-m
3.5 “...not right in the head.” stars.
Sherlock Holmes kissing
Foster gulped out more vehemently, “There’s a dead man in my bathtub!”
Dead silence. Another burst of televised laughter. Someone tittered nervously.

Perry Foster comes home early from his holiday and finds a dead body in his bathtub, wearing yellow - goldenrod - coloured socks. He freaks out and finds a mysterious figure entering the lobby...

Nick can't wait to leave Vermont, applying for a private investigating job. But when a dead body is found in Perry's b
Simone
Audiobook: ***3 Cough-drops-anyone? Stars***

Story: ***3.5 Solid-Agatha-Christie-umm-Josh-Lanyon-mystery-plot-with-a-sweet-romance Stars***
Susan
Dec 23, 2012 rated it liked it

I wanted to love this book...

It is, Josh Lanyon, after all. And the reviews have been so glowing and I’ve kinda been saving it for a day when I needed a good read.

Unfortunately, it only just sorta-kinda worked for me. I did love Perry Foster, the sweet, asthmatic, but strong-willed young MC. He is one of those endearing characters that you want to hug and take care of and just…to be happy.

The problem is…the rest of the book.

For the first 2/3 of the book Nick Reno, former Navy SEAL, grouchy, bris
Sofia
May 21, 2014 rated it really liked it

Well Lanyon is a Lanyon, is a Lanyon, nothing more to say on that score.

This was an easy flowing read. I wish that such easy was not so difficult to come across.

I liked the 'old haunted manor' atmosphere pervading the whole book, almost expected Scooby Doo and Shaggy to pop out of the rain.

Loved the reluctant, cynical Nick, his observations were stringent, to the point and often cutting. He seemed to be always so sure in his opinions and the path he was going to follow. It warmed my heart to se
Emanuela ~plastic duck~
This is the cutest story I've ever read. This book has a real cinematic quality, for me reading it was like being in a theater and watching the movie.

At the beginning of the story we meet Perry at his worst: he's coming back from an unfortunate romantic trip, he's exhausted and the discovery of the corpse in his tub brings him an asthma attack. Enters Nick, the ex Navy Seal, who just can't help remarking how delicate and helpless (and queer) Perry is. Exits the corpse. Was it Perry's imagination
Sep 14, 2012 rated it it was amazing

Some men charm with flowers, chocolates, and a smile, but Josh Lanyon knows the way to disarm, court, and steal my heart is with murder. Once again Mr. Lanyon’s words pulled me into a world filled with mystery, mayhem, romance, humor, and yes—dead bodies! :D

The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks has readers delving into a dead-man-in-the-bathtub old school mystery chock full of surprises, spooks, twists, turns, and Scooby Doo style chaos and fun. We are introduced to an apartment building of loonies, but t
Trio
I couldn't resists a re-read (or in my case, I re-listen to) in anticipation of The Ghost Had an Early Check-Out!

Truly, one of my favorite JL stand-alones yet. I loved the main characters and the way their romance went was just perfection. Great mystery with a really fun group of secondary characters.

As far as the audio version went - 3 stars for the narrator, Max Miller, his narration was way too slow so I went up to 1.25 on the speed which helped a bit. The variety in his characters was good,
Martin
Aug 03, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: favorites
Another Lanyon to make my weekend perfect!

This book has everything I expect from a m/m mystery book:

A haunted mansion constantly surrounded by thunderstorms…
description

A dark and scary November wood called ‘Witch Hollow’…
description

A beautiful whodunnit plot worthy of an Agatha Christie classic…
description

And two insanely charismatic and likeable MCs…

description

Perry is a 23 year old painter who just returns to his apartment in Alston Mansion after a hopefully romantic trip to San Francisco goes sadly wrong and Perry finds himself alo
* A Reader Obsessed *
3.5 Stars

Ok - lets just say that this was classic Lanyon.

It's got dead bodies and multiple possible whodunits.
One main character is at the center of this mystery, while the other is of no surprise a PI in training.
The romance isn't overt (is it ever?) but then it comes out of nowhere and packs a punch.

In hindsight I needn't have worried. And I continue to fall for it every time - thinking I'll get a protracted ending - and then I don't. Obviously it has yet to stop me from reading more!
Jennifer☠Pher☠
Mar 06, 2014 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: m-m, lgbtq
That my friends is what we call a SLOW BURN...so freaking worth it. Yes, I am a sucker for a ghost story, an old house and of course the geek and the strong. My love for Josh Lanyon just keeps growing. A great whodunnit and a sweet, slow...romance.
LenaRibka
Sep 17, 2013 rated it really liked it
3, 5 stars

I feel a relief and great happiness when I look at my Josh Lanyon's to-read list! I am not at the end of it, thanks God! Still I have to use these precious resources very sparingly. And not to forget, I can always start to re-read his books.

His prose is like a glass of fine wine in a nice company after a long work day.

Always good, sometimes excellent, sometimes pleasant, sometimes WOW, but ALWAYS good, always a RECOMMENDED READ.
I like his writing and I knew that I'm not alone here.
Natasha
4.5 stars of awesome Lanyon verbiage. Delicious. I eat this shit for breakfast, lunch, and dinner. Sometimes even snacks. And it's low in carbs and high in sugar. Yum yum. Part of your well balanced diet.

What am I even talking about?

How am I allowed to write reviews?
This book was awesome and I really loved it. Love me some ex-SEAL and some cutie Bambi twink. Lie-kit.
Richard
Perry, Perry Perry! My favorite Josh Lanyon character. This had been my favorite Josh Lanyon book but I recenlty read The Parting Glass and it moved to #1.

I still love you Perry!
Deeze
May 10, 2013 rated it it was amazing
I really enjoyed this book.

The focus of this story is the mystery, and there is plenty of that going on. As well as the main mystery there are a few side ones going on too.

The cast is a rag tag of people all with there own little secrets.

Perry is a wonderful character. He is both sweet and innocent, yet strong and sure of himself.

Nick is strong and gruff, with a heart that’s soft as butter, but he hides it so well lol.

This is a very slow romance. Our hero’s don’t really get together until muc
Irina Elena
Josh Lanyon is going down.

No, wait, that sounds bad.
In my eyes. He's going down in my eyes. Because I used to think he was a literary demigod descended upon the world of M/M to make it a brighter place, but nah.

This is not a bad book, don't get me wrong. I was my first JL, and there are reasons why I loved it.
Like the fact that the MC is an adorable fluffnugget. Okay, he's a little clingy, he's a little dramatic, and he has a natural inclination towards hero worship, but we're all flawed.
Oh, and
Jan
Moss really wanted me to try this author, but somehow I ended up adding each book she reviewed to my tbr, and it was Michelle's review of this that convinced me to actually read a Josh Lanyon. That and how much I liked the sample. The opening chapter really shows off what was best about this book. Perry's cuteness and sense of humor while dealing with murder and mayhem, the creepiness of the house and the wackiness of the neighbors.

Michelle raved about how cute Perry and Nick were, and they were
Meep
Mar 10, 2012 rated it it was amazing
The sequel disappointed, but still love this.
-- --
An old rambling house, eccentric characters, a disappearing body and a slow romance - I'm happy.

A good old-fashioned gothic-styled cosy, nodding to too many well loved authors to name.

Our damsel in distress is the unfortunate Perry, having a bad day even before the corpse appears, with added asthma. Our hero ex-navy SEAL Nick, man of action. Perry shows his share of brains, argueably better suited to detecting than brawny Nick. The two get togeth
Ula'ndi Hart
Overall book rating: 4
Audio Book: N/A
Book Cover: 2

Yeah. I liked it. Another interesting murder/mystery and a hunky Seal to boot? What’s not to like?

I liked both MC’s. Perry with his asthma and his very “sheltered” upbringing. He’s young, and scared, but somehow innocent without being “pathetic”.

Nick. Yes!! He’s coming to terms with a few things in his own life. Decisions he made when he was young that didn’t turn out to have been the best. Chances he took that cost him his job.
Nick is looking t
Melissa
Apr 30, 2016 rated it really liked it
Shelves: borrowed, 2019, recommend
2019 review
I enjoyed this more this time around. Maybe because I know there is a sequel or maybe I am now able to appreciate real writing. Regardless, I really loved this. I am such a super fan of JL and am always excited to her books, no matter what it's about.

The mystery around the body in the tub, the mystery of the home and the original owners. Then the relationship between Perry and Nick. Sigh. So cute. If you didn't know they were going to get together, their beginning would not give you a
Steelwhisper
Re-read this, as I am fan-girling on Josh Lanyon currently, and this book was one of my very first m/m-romances--read as a paperback, no less. If you enter the fray on such a fare it is no wonder that the sights get set high.

In hindsight I agree that Josh was still channelling a bit too much Chandler and not enough Lanyon with this, but I can't be bothered to give it any lesser rating. I might prefer the easy Lanyon prose of e.g. The Dark Farewell, but this one gets way over 5 stars already on i
Katerina

Re-read in December 2018. In this case one point more for the original than for the translation.

After hearing so much good about Josh Lanyon, that was my first book from her. I wanted to love it. But it was only okay for me. Not the very big love I had hoped for. I didn't want to read any more books from her in 2014.

However, I must say that I have read the German translation. And over the last few years, I have noticed that a lot of things are lost in translations. Especially the style of a lang
Kati
Jan 22, 2009 rated it it was amazing
That was great, up there with Lanyon's "Adrien English Mysteries" and "Snowball in Hell". I love those closed-societies, who-dun-it mysteries. And this one was all that and more, with the old house and secret passages and peeping Toms and crazy old ladies... And I also loved Nick and Perry and the way they got together, that it was Perry who showed a real backbone in the end and didn't allow Nick to just walk away. Awesome!
Nikyta
Omg, let me just say that I love Perry. He's so cute with his asthma and his bambi eyes that I want to kidnap him and if Nick wants to come find Perry, that's cool because I want Nick, too!! Lol

Perry comes home after his trip to San Fran was cut short only to find a dead man in his bathtub. Racing downstairs, he runs straight into Nick, his neighbor and ex-Navy SEAL. When Nick goes to check out Perry's apartment, there's no dead body but some odd evidence. The evidence, however, is gone when the
Marte - Thunderella
*** 3,5 stars ***

Got to love another mystery by Josh Lanyon! I listened to the audio edition by Max Miller, and found it just okay. He did different voices for all the characters, I just didn't find them interesting. Nick's voice was a bit too monotone, and he had very little inflection (is that the term) when speaking. The narrator also narrated in a way that made words like "drip" sound like "dreep". I don't know how to explain it, and this is probably going to sound weird, but it sounded like
Breann
Here it is, folks! My favorite Lanyon. I've read my fair share of Lanyon and this, by far, is my favorite.

Honestly, if you're not listening to the audio of this you're doing yourself a disservice. Max's narration was dead on for every character. Every. Single. One. It made the experience feel like I was watching a movie play out in my head.

And holy fuck, his version of Nick was hot.

Nick. Nick is grumpy and standoffish and often rude. BUT HIS VOICE WAS SO FUCKING SEXY I DON'T EVEN CARE. Deep, gru
JR
Apr 26, 2013 rated it it was amazing
My first Josh Lanyon book and it won't be the last. I love a good mystery and this one delivered in spades. I also adore grumpy, "I'm not going to do this, I'll never fall in love, not my type" lead characters. Nick Reno is that character and Perry Foster is the one he'll never fall for. Perry is a struggling artist, coming back from a disappointing vacation in which he hope to be with the love of his life. Nick is an ex S.E.A.L, who is hostility personified. What follows is a very tight, well ...more
CrabbyPatty
Having just finishing Lanyon's Winter Kill, I realized all of a sudden that I had listened to the audiobook of another Lanyon mystery a while ago, and finally remembered that it was this story. So having said that, the story was pretty forgettable IMHO and didn't make a huge impression on me! I felt the mystery wasn't very gripping and the pace of the story seemed to lag quite a bit and neither main character caught my interest.

Visit my blog, Sinfully Good Gay Book Reviews
Linda ~ they got the mustard out! ~
I've read this one a few times. I love all the zany characters, and Perry may be naive, but he's smart and determined. Nick is a tough guy with a soft heart. A fun read and reread for sure.

• Pressure Head (The Plumber's Mate #1)
  • The Mystery of Nevermore (Snow & Winter, #1)
  • P.S. I Spook You
  • Spooky Business (The Spectral Files, #3)
  • Relief Valve (The Plumber's Mate #2)
  • Paternity Case (Hazard and Somerset #3)
  • Not Dead Yet (Not Dead Yet #1)
  • Principles of Spookology (The Spectral Files, #2)
  • A Friend in the Dark (An Auden & O'Callaghan Mystery, #1)
  • Transposition (Hazard and Somerset, #2)
  • Guilt by Association (Hazard and Somerset, #4)
  • Heat Trap (The Plumber’s Mate, #3)
  • Stay with Me (The PI Guys, #1)
  • Pretty Pretty Boys (Hazard and Somerset, #1)
  • Criss Cross (PsyCop, #2)
  • How to Vex a Vampire (VRC: Vampire Related Crimes, #1)
  • The Mystery of the Moving Image (Snow & Winter, #3)
  • Blow Down (The Plumber's Mate, #4)
Josh Lanyon is the author of over sixty titles of classic Male/Male fiction featuring twisty mystery, kickass adventure and unapologetic man-on-man romance.

Her work has been translated into eleven languages. The FBI thriller Fair Game was the first male/male title to be published by Harlequin Mondadori, the largest romance publisher in Italy. Stranger on the Shore (Harper Collins Italia) was the f

The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks (2 books)
  • The Ghost Had an Early Check-Out (The Ghost Wore Yellow Socks #2)