Start by marking “The Keeper of the Door” as Want to Read:
The Keeper of the Door

The Keeper of the Door

First published in 1915. Ethel M. Dell was an English writer of popular romance novels.
Kindle Edition
Published (first published January 1st 1915)

To ask other readers questions about The Keeper of the Door, please sign up.

Be the first to ask a question about The Keeper of the Door

Dorcas
Sequel to "The Way of an Eagle".

Sequels are tricky things, you always wonder if they can top the first one or even come close. Happily, this sequel was just as enjoyable as book one, and our favorite characters from book one play a major role in its follow up.

In TWOAE we had hero Nick, an ugly little man with yellow wrinkly skin, pale lashes and a heart of gold. We also met his niece Olga who adored him.

In "The Keeper of the Door", Olga is grown up and itching to go to India with her uncle Nick
Alisha
Sep 18, 2015 rated it really liked it  ·  review of another edition
Shelves: bring-the-drama
This was a pretty exciting read, though it makes me wonder if Ethel Dell's books all have the same plot elements. I mean, I'm good with melodrama, ultraconfident men, and emotionally mixed up women, but when exposed to these things for too long, I do start to chuckle and lose my immersion in the story. So my review may be a little tongue-in-cheek, but be assured that if you liked The Way of An Eagle, you will like its sequel!

Olga is the heroine. She keeps house for her father (a doctor), a young
Mela
I have mixed feelings. I can't decide if I should give three or four stars.

On one hand, there are really great scenes, especially between two main characters. Dell wrote those in such way that I almost felt I was watching movie. Gestures, facial expressions, moves - I just saw Max when he stood with his hands in pockets and was looking at Olga. A good-written description makes that you will remember certain scenes as pictures.
Then, you have here, like a shadow, a philosophical question about eut
Maria Amerman
Sep 26, 2012 rated it it was amazing
I absolutely loved this book. I had one of the original copies given to me a a graduation gift. I had trouble putting it down after the first fifty pages. I would say it is definitely a woman's book. It is filled with drama am suspense. And the way that Ethel writes is beautiful. I can't wait to read more of her books!
Penelope Wallace
Feb 12, 2019 rated it did not like it
1.5 stars, really. I knew Ethel M Dell was a popular writer of long ago, so I decided to give this a try. I don't think it matters that I hadn't read the book to which it is a sequel. It is a tale of love, horribly cliched, and, perhaps surprisingly, the rights and wrongs of euthanasia. The second part is set in Raj India, and the casual racism is perhaps of its time, but fairly horrible. There is a lot of gushing writing about LOVE and all the dialogue, although lively, is deeply meaningful in ...more
Bushra Zia
Mar 13, 2016 rated it it was amazing
Shelves: romance-classic
Do you need a second opinion on this book? Visit and explore www.oceanpearlbooks.wordpress.com. OceanPearl Books endeavors to bring book reviewers (child and adult), authors, books and more in one place. And it’s all for Free!

OceanPearl Books - Book Review
Max Wyndham is a successful doctor who comes to practice at the English Country. Olga Ratcliffe is Dr. Ratcliffe’s daughter and Max’s employer. Max realizes his attraction to Olga and predicts his marriage to her within a year. Olga finds him
Oct 08, 2011 rated it really liked it
Read about this author in a Katie Fforde novel & gave her a try. Very sweet & old fashioned, in a good way! One of the plot points was a bit far-fetched in my eyes, & drew the story out unnecessarily, but it us still a good romance novel.

As a side note, this is the first book I've ever read using my iPhone Kindle app. Dell has a bunch of books that are downloadable for free from Amazon, which is great. I read this book while waiting for things, in public, in long lines, etc. and the
Emma
Jan 22, 2015
Catdogtamara
Nov 14, 2013
cynthia june blyth
rated it did not like it
Feb 14, 2016
Ethel M. Dell (2 August 1881 – 19 September 1939) was a British writer of over 30 popular romance novels and several short stories from 1911 to 1939.

Ethel May Dell was born on 2 August 1881 in Streatham, a suburb of London, England. Her father was a clerk in the City of London and she had an older sister and brother. Her family was middle class and lived a comfortable life. Ethel Dell was a very s